Death Timers, Towers and Lobby Times

Hello.

My name is DonDominator and I play on EU server. I am making an account to post about my grievances with the state of AOS in the hope that the developers will respond and fix these issues.

Firstly, death timers may be the single biggest cause of frustration for players. The problem with death timers is that they become too harsh too early in the game. A team could be stomping the enemy for 30 minutes, but the latter can still win the game if they dominate a single team fight past that time limit. That isn't a healthy thing to have in the game. The stakes are too high at that point, a single team mate can be caught out of position and suddenly you are stuck in a 4v5 situation unable to contest objectives or push lanes.

Secondly, I know the developers claim that towers are stronger than previous patches, but my experience in the game so far shows that this simply isn't the case. Towers seem to go down faster than ever before to the point where it often seems like they are impossible to defend. I realise towers are an objective and need to go down eventually, but currently they feel utterly useless as a defensive structure and more like free minerals for the enemy team. If you die in lane or have to recall early game you often return to a 50% or lower hp tower. This point about towers links in with my first point about long death timers, the game is far too snowbally at the moment.

Thirdly, the lobby wait times are ridiculous. I have had to wait for up to 45 minutes to get into a game. Is there some behind-the-scenes matchmaking system which decides which lobby a player is put into, and this is increasing lobby times? I really hope this isn't the case because it clearly isn't working, my games are full of players with hugely different skill levels, so I'm stuck wondering why am I forced to wait so long for a game that doesn't even have balanced teams. What is causing the huge wait times?

Thanks for reading. In my opinion the above three issues are the most significant problems facing AOS at this time and need to be addressed ASAP by the developers.

DonDominator

Hey thanks for writing. Do you think 30 minutes is early in the game? If so, how long do you want games to be? The tower damage is stronger, but as some have said, I haven't addressed how fast they die when there are creeps and heroes attacking. I'm still considering making them a little harder to take down since they do melt quite fast. Still I do think they have more health and resist now than they did 2 years ago. The wait times are simply and unfortunately due to a lack of players when you're trying to play.

I could agree death timers are kinda long. Actually I'm not sure how exactly they work atm is it just based on lvl or on game time? Can see death timers getting lowered.

As for your issue with towers, they have been changed last 2 patches and its close to being ok. Towers just used to be rly stupid before this, early game they were mega OP but late game doing close to nothing to tanks, while they could be backdoored by 3 heroes which would take off BD ressist and tower melts in 1 sec. Now you need to have a creep wave. I definitely agree towers shouldn't die in 1 wave early game as they do now.

What we need next patch:

Tower hp buffed to 4k

Dmg amp per shot on same target needs to be buffed

BD ressist lowered to 65-70%

Also I'm happy to see pub players giving their opinion about the game and what they think is a problem, I mean the game relies on pubs lol

I think with the recent changes to towers we're moving in the right direction.

I would consider a buff to tower HP (At least 250 across all tiers) and buffing the durability of eggs/pylons tremendously. These two combined with all the recent changes (which include true damage to creeps only IIRC) will help balance the risk vs reward of losing a team fight. You'll lose what you deserve to lose but not more.

I don't understand why the pylons/eggs should be harder to kill.

I presume that the basic idea of those pylons was also borrowed from DotA. They are meant to be speed bumps to slow down the creepwave's march to the artifact (since the wave must destroy them before they even begin attacking the artifact). Currently only 3 of the 5 pylons/eggss are actually acknowledged by the creepwaves as the two furthest back tend to be mostly ignored and the creepwaves go straight for the artifact (I moved them closer actually if you noticed but with no avail).

With the lack of T4 towers and the questionable durability of all towers, it makes sense that the pylons/eggs become more durable so that they can best fulfill their purpose (slowdown the march to the artifact). Currently the pylons/eggs are 2-3 maybe 4 hits away from being destroyed, they are pointless cashgrabs and they do not fulfill their purpose. Meaning the creepwave gets to the artifact faster which means the heroes can attack the artifact sooner while its distracted with the creepwave.

Making the eggs/pylons more durable isn't for heroes, it's for creepwaves mainly and it's for the artifact.

In regards to counterpushing and defense, it is better to increase each tower's durability slightly instead of large sums.

For example if we increase the durability of each tower by 250 health and then increase the durability of the egg/pylon in that lane by 1250-1500, then that entire lane just gained 2000-2500 health total. This translates to slightly more time (but hopefully enough time at least) for the defensive team to mount a counter attack. This is better than for example, giving all towers 4k hp IMO.

Edited by Jessika

Firstly, death timers may be the single biggest cause of frustration for players. The problem with death timers is that they become too harsh too early in the game. A team could be stomping the enemy for 30 minutes, but the latter can still win the game if they dominate a single team fight past that time limit. That isn't a healthy thing to have in the game. The stakes are too high at that point, a single team mate can be caught out of position and suddenly you are stuck in a 4v5 situation unable to contest objectives or push lanes.

I second the thought on death timers. I have won, and lost games due to a team wipe, that snowballs into a win. At some-point that is okay, but it feels kinda cheap also.

I was wondering about having something like a death timer reduction of say 30-20-10 seconds if the following 2 conditions are true:

(1) you are dead, and

(2) one of the following happens

Teammate dies

Tower dies

Egg / Pylon dies (?)

So for round numbers, you die, and have 100 seconds to respawn...

Team mate dies 5 seconds later, you were at 95, now you are at 65.

Tower dies 5 seconds later, you were at 60, now you are at 40.

5 seconds later another team mate dies, you were at 35, and are now at 25.

3rd team mate dies, and nothing special happens, except you can call him a loser for letting you get team wiped!

I've admittedly thought about those numbers I used for about 5 minutes so they may be bad. Perhaps 20-15-10, would be better reductions. Anything to prevent the single teamwipe and you lose the game scenario.

Just my 2 bits on the long death timers late game.

Also I could go with an egg hatching an ultralisk, or a pylon spawning a carrier when they are destroyed. That might be kinda cool.

Prior to this discussion I always thought they were just cash grabs also, and basically they were only beneficial for the DPS players, because if a tank and a DPS shoot it at the same time, the DPS tends to get the cash.

I've always thought the eggs were there for extra money. Since sotis I remember people rushing across the map to kill one of them for that $$

That's a nice bonus I guess, but I prefer to think that's not their primary purpose. AoS is already overflowing with cash IMO. I would even say making them harder to kill makes their cash bonus more justifiable.

Edited by Jessika