New Ward Spots in AoS

MOTHER

Greetings,

AoS now has new ward spots scattered all over the map. Ward spots are elevated areas of the terrain that are pathable enough for ward placement. What makes them ideal warding spots is the fact that to deward them, you require:

1- High ground vision of the area.

2- True Sight.

3- A ranged attack.

Late game, TS elixir alone will no longer be sufficient to deward the map, making sentry and TS wards relevant at every stage of the game. It also makes warding, dewarding, and the role of supporting more relevant at every stage of the game.

The distribution of ward spots in AoS is not perfectly symmetrical, but it's relatively close. Use the map below to find out where they are. Ward spots have a white circle to mark them, and when you wish to place a ward on top of them, if the cursor turns yellow it means the placement is permitted.

VdNQNaV.jpg

Edited by Jessika

I'm not sure I follow your question harry.

It gives you high ground vision of the area, meaning a sentry there allows you to see what's in the bushes across from it without having to place a ward in those bushes. It can also aid you when you are sieging or being sieged mid lane to have vision of that area without having a ward immediately detectable. All this is especially important when your or your enemy's mid T2 is down. Protoss have a ward spot in a similar place next to their mid T2.

Edited by Jessika

I disagree with bringing back areas where melee units cannot deward.

Unlike, for example, Dota 2 most AOS supports(not actually supports) tend to be melee. It has been a big enough issue in the past to remove this feature from the game so im not sure why we should bring it back.

p.s. I like the work you are doing on the map just not this interaction.

Supports == Tanks? :)

Generally in this game tanks are seen as the ones who are responsible to ward and deward. Partly due to the way their items are cheaper and they dont require large amounts of farm to do their job.

I also through personal experience know that junglers are also prime candidates for de-warding due to the map information they gain from ganks/gank attempts. A large number of junglers are also melee...

Actually, in the current version the ward spots are not pathable enough for the collision sizes of most heroes. Buying warp shard won't solve this dilemma. Warp Shard would also be a really expensive solution for this.

DotA solved this problem (all melee teams and ward spots) by giving some cheap early items a secondary function that allow them to consume wards. For example, imagine giving Hunter's Hatchet, a cheap item, a ranged active ability ('chop') that instantly consumes a target ward and gives like +10 bounty or something along these lines. Hatchet in this is an ideal candidate. The active 'chop' would strictly work on wards only, allied or enemy (so you can deny your own wards if you like).

Alternatively, you also make sure you have a ranged member of your hero draft to avoid and limit these situations.

Edited by Jessika

The issue with this is that although it would work with junglers supports would still be disadvantaged. I would prefer some sort of support item with this function.

I agree late game this wont be an issue because you will have carries/mid laners/off laners rotating but in the laning phase it might make it a bit stagnant if dewarding is so difficult.

Or ideally we could just make more ranged supports (true supports!)

I think it is important understand and accept that ranged and melee heroes have innate advantages and disadvantages. A ward spot is definitely a scenario that highlights this. But this shouldn't mean shying away from the situation. The game just needs to offer counter play for melee heroes.

I think tacking on anti-ward actives on cheap early game items like Hatchet (isn't this a junglers' item anyway?) alleviate your concerns for example by offering melee heroes counterplay. Surely we can come up with other cheap items, like Miner's Goggles getting an active or something. This part is easy.

I also agree that we are sorely missing true support utility heroes, but that's another discussion altogether (see suggestions in signature! /shamelessplug)

Edited by Jessika

Ranged supports lets see. Yig, rory, egon, and medic are the hardcore supports, then theres MK, jackson, ranc, queen, immo, and anthrax that can support but will need money to be useful later. The problem is that most initiation in this game come from the melee supports so it can be hard to fit a ranged support in a comp.

Ranged supports lets see. Yig, rory, egon, and medic are the hardcore supports, then theres MK, jackson, ranc, queen, immo, and anthrax that can support but will need money to be useful later. The problem is that most initiation in this game come from the melee supports so it can be hard to fit a ranged support in a comp.

Funnily enough, you pretty much listed most my favorite heroes. We really do need more Hard Supports that are a nightmare to enemies not because of their solo damage/killing potential, but rather because of the utility (buffs/debuffs) they offer their teams.

Edited by Jessika

Breaking news!

You can now use warp shard to warp onto any one of the ward spots now (warp spots?). However you can only move out of there by using warp shard again or by using Return/Transport. Heroic blink abilities such as Cyp/Vergil/Immo/Dehaka etc, cannot move you in or out of any of the ward spots.

Warp Shard is a very pricey anti-fun item TBH.

Perhaps we should take another page from DotA and remake it into:

Warp Shard (2500)

Components:

Lost Treasure (500)

Recipe (2000)

Only health and energy regen for stats.

[Active] Warp

Blink up to 9u away to a target location. Cooldown 20-25. Getting damaged by enemy heroes resets cooldown.

And then, we stand back and let the insanity ensue once again. CHAOS REIGNS!

Re: Boros

Does Omnislash blink to units in the fog of war? Because it shouldn't.

Edited by Jessika

• 2 weeks later...

We are not turning warpshard into an insta escape item again....K thanks, unless you mean that even when the item is up for use and you are attacked it resets the timer than that is fine. But they way you wrote it its seems if it is cooling down and your hit it resets it but can use it at any time(including being hit) if its up already.

I invested 1 hr (coz OLD) finding and memorizing all the new ward spots - WORTH

watched enemy pub team take 50min to figure out how to de-ward LOL

Next: will get rancor, warp to new spots and spam nukes!

btw y does Ironbound deny all accusations of being Adam's smurf?