Ancient Rune

MOTHER

It almost seems like this item since it was first introduced it never really got any love. Personally, it's one of my favorite items, but I think it needs a little tweak to make it more enticing and less situational.

Old Ancient Rune (3150)

2x Pulse Regenerator

1x (Higgs Boson Capacitor)

=

-----------

56 INT

3.5 Energy Regen

[uNIQUE]

#1 Proposed Ancient Rune (3725) (Higher end version)

1x Soul Sustainer

1x Higgs Boson Capacitor

=

-----------

10% (or 15%) CDR

75 INT

2.5 Energy Regen

[uNIQUE]

-OR-

#2 Proposed Ancient Rune (3150) (Lower end version)

1x Pulse Regenerator

1x Soul Sustainer

1x Storm Pauldrons

=

-----------

10% (or 15%) CDR

53 INT

3.5 Energy Regen

[uNIQUE]

It's just flat out better to grab some int item that gives you more damage with its unique. A while back i tried very hard to make ancient rune rune work on a number of int heroes, i ended up being better off grabbing sunflare, kuras, or starsfury for extra spell damage. Even when i built around spamming Corona's Q i couldn't tell if ancient rune was doing anything.

It's just flat out better to grab some int item that gives you more damage with its unique. A while back i tried very hard to make ancient rune rune work on a number of int heroes, i ended up being better off grabbing sunflare, kuras, or starsfury for extra spell damage. Even when i built around spamming Corona's Q i couldn't tell if ancient rune was doing anything.

I think Ancient Rune on its own and against the wrong line up is worthless. But against the right line up, combined with the right items, and on a hero that can actually make use of it, it can make a difference. Rune combined with deathmask, gravity, and argus/yamato for example on a hero can really melt tanky heroes - But only on a hero with some sort of sustained spell damage delivery. If the circumstances/factors I mentioned align, I think it can be a decent pick up on Unix, Corona, Queen, and even Immortal.

It's just rarely an optimal pick up and there are chances always items that can do what it does for your team (but with better value for your slot).

Would buffing it to 10% current health as spell damage over 2 seconds make a difference? Then make it deal double that (20% of current health as spell damage) if the target has more Max Health than you.