FPS drops and creepwaves

MOTHER

AoS's late game FPS drops can be quite terrible no matter the machine, and I believe a big part of this is played by the large influx of units. Currently AoS spawns 4 melee creeps and 1 ranged creep (besides siege creeps). I'm not sure, but I believe an extra creep gets added down the line but someone please confirm this. I think the easiest, fastest, and most efficient solution for this is to simply change and reduce the creepwave make up. Simply reduce the number of melee creeps from 4 to 3, then redistribute the missing creep's health, bounty, and damage among the remaining creeps equally (e.g. if the missing creep has 400 health, deals 40 damage, and has 40 bounty, then each of the remaining 3 melee/1 ranged creep gets +100 health, +10 damage, and +10 bounty).

This I think is the most sensible thing to do. You won't feel the difference immediately, but overtime it will improve the FPS for a majority of players by reducing the total number of active units on the map at any given time.

Idk I think lag starts if thers lot of AoE spells in teamfight, for example pyro ult, shadow ult are some of things that make ppl lag

Lag caused by triggers or by bad internet isn't quite the same as fps drops. Those are almost entirely caused by simply having too many polygons active, especially in one screen. It is a graphical issue usually and is related to number and quality of models and animations.

This simple change will probably not solve AoS's late game fps drop, but it will most certainly help. It's better to do many small things that accumulate into one big thing.

Edited by Jessika

I know whats fps drop, I know for sure few AoE ults cause ppl to lag, idk whats the reason since for example greelus ult never causes any lag, but pyro ult sometimes, and few more

What you are referring to is the fps drop that occurs during those ults then.

I am referring to the general fps drop that occurs in the game that is not specific to any one hero or event, and that could be occurring even when you are in the fountain. The FPS drop that is constant and isn't a spike that occurs during a teamfight. This FPS drop is very possibly related to the number of active units on the map.

Edited by Jessika

I know the amount of heroes in game affects lag. If i am in a game solo, 1v1, or a 3v3 i will have a much higher fps than if there are 10 players, even if they are just in the pool. Hero calculations might be a big part of the fps drop.

They most likely are.

But there are probably several factors that accrete to create the late game fps drop. Like I said earlier, there isn't likely one big solution for the fps drop in AoS, but several smaller solutions that add up together to relieve a greater part of the fps problem. I am proposing one of those possible solutions. It's really easy, and dates back all the way to the Dota days on WC3.

Edited by Jessika

marine arena has 100 times more unit than aos but has no regular late game lag(except when a player lag)

Marine Arena is also essentially a small blank map with a handful of doodads. AoS is a fully mapped terrain that currently has around 3.4k doodads, and the new terrain will have around 2.4k. All of these factor into your FPS.

Edited by Jessika

I feel like for teamfights the armor pen and spell pen items cause a lot of lag. Like you see you're initial damage, then the game lags and the grav edge damage is applied. Also demi-god, when someone gets a kill with it, the game will lag more then if someone doesn't have it. Not sure if it actually happens but it feels like it.

Correct. This is to say that a few extra Lane creep have practically no effect on performance given other factors.

In isolation maybe, but to say they have 'practically no effect' isn't completely true either. The more actors are present in a map, the more likely fps will drop. When it comes to AoS, I am suggesting that those extra lane creeps can become the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back, when compounded with everything else going on in the map.

Is what I am suggesting going to make a huge difference? Probably not. But will it help on any level? I believe it will. It's tried and true, and requires the bare minimum of effort. So why not?

So I did an experiment where I played the game on my own (new terrain).

I am running the game's graphics on high and I start out with an average of 75 frames per second, as the game progresses this keeps slowly dropping but it only becomes noticeable after the 30 minute mark when the game starts spawning 8 creeps per lane, 5 melee and 3 ranged and occasionally 9 with the siege creep. At this point in time the fps drops to an average of 50. The only thing that changed here is the number of units on the map has increased. I did not push any lanes.

You're looking at at least 2 creepwaves (one just starting to move and the other in the lane fighting) of 8 each per lane per team (totaling approximately 100 active units, excluding siege creeps, neutrals, and heroes).

I did the same experiment with the old AoS terrain and yielded similar fps results (so it's not the new terrain).

Bottomline is that the factor that is changing here is the number of units. There are no other heroes on the map or teamfights or abilities in use that could possibly affect the fps.

We don't need 8 creeps per wave late game, a fixed creepwave of 4 that progressively gets stronger at a predictable rate is much more efficient. We could even add a 5th creep to the one after 20-30 minutes. But we don't need that many creeps per wave.

Edited by Jessika

So I did an experiment where I played the game on my own (new terrain).

I am running the game's graphics on high and I start out with an average of 75 frames per second, as the game progresses this keeps slowly dropping but it only becomes noticeable after the 30 minute mark when the game starts spawning 8 creeps per lane, 5 melee and 3 ranged and occasionally 9 with the siege creep. At this point in time the fps drops to an average of 50. The only thing that changed here is the number of units on the map has increased. I did not push any lanes.

You're looking at at least 2 creepwaves (one just starting to move and the other in the lane fighting) of 8 each per lane per team (totaling approximately 100 active units, excluding siege creeps, neutrals, and heroes).

I did the same experiment with the old AoS terrain and yielded similar fps results (so it's not the new terrain).

Bottomline is that the factor that is changing here is the number of units. There are no other heroes on the map or teamfights or abilities in use that could possibly affect the fps.

We don't need 8 creeps per wave late game, a fixed creepwave of 4 that progressively gets stronger at a predictable rate is much more efficient. We could even add a 5th creep to the one after 20-30 minutes. But we don't need that many creeps per wave.

im saying there might be a hidden factor that drops frame

# of unit won't have that much effect considering how many units are in this game

im saying there might be a hidden factor that drops frame

# of unit won't have that much effect considering how many units are in this game

Well one way of finding out is process of elimination. We trim the number of units, and see what we are left with.

Either way, Increasing the number of units on the map just for the sake it can't be good for your fps (on top of everything else especially). By making the units stronger over time, we end up with less units and ultimately less potential for units to affect performance. A 50% reduction of creeps per creep wave late game (8/wave to 4/wave) is bound to impact performance.

I would agree that I see most of my lag if any during team fights/certain hero animations. For example, when kerrigan used to spawn broodlings or Axioms ultimate.

I don't actually see much end game lag. But I wouldn't mind reducing the number of creep just to help increase resources available for team fights. Although it is an inherent nerf to AoE damage.

Would removing resists from creeps help to reduce calculations and decrease lag? Or running fewer regen/resist checks for heroes?

Idk I think lag starts if thers lot of AoE spells in teamfight, for example pyro ult, shadow ult are some of things that make ppl lag

axiom and coronna ults always cause a lagg for 2-4 secs for me! Do only i suffer from these both ults besides rest mass ults?

Yeah axiom ult causes a lot of lag

didnt see that message! but truth

what if we decrease the speed of the game from "the fastest" to "the fast" ? will that help in teamfights and in laggs mhmh?

Everyone would rage that game is too slow

You mean because the number of creeps was reduced? Because it wouldn't necessarily if the remaining creeps' strength was adjusted for equivalency. Games would probably last just as long.

edit- Nvm just read Hucci's post

Yeah, everyone would rage cuz the game would be so slow.

Edited by Jessika