Omniscience and Map Awareness

MOTHER

The whole purpose of this item first and foremost, like its name implies, is to give you an edge when it comes to vision/warding/map awareness. This becomes especially critical late game when item slots are more valuable, scarce, and the concept of a true support hero eludes your team.

The problem with this item is that it has good stats for a support but that's it. It isn't really living up to its namesake. I read somewhere (but can't confirm atm) that you can use transport to teleport to the Omniscience ward. While that's nice, the item is called Omniscience not Omnipresence.

Here is how I think this item can be improved, and how it can reclaim its niche and fulfill its purpose at last.

-New Active:

Places up to 3 Omniscience Wards*. Cooldown 120. Up to 3 charges.

-New Passive Unique:

Foresight - Allies in a 10-unit radius gain +2 sight vision.

-Recipe cost from 500 to 700 (Total cost 2900 from 2700)

*Omniscience Wards exactly like Sentry Wards but last 300 (or until their cap is exceeded), have a bit more health, have 14-unit sight radius (to keep consistent with the unique), and use a different model to represent them in-game.

The item is hard countered by truesight as you can see, but at least now it has some semblance of map awareness that benefits its team and isn't completely useless when your active is on cooldown. The new unique (which is a reverse Despair, MAAR's old passive if you remember) is to help differentiate it further from one of its components (Prophecy stone). This also gives the item an edge over Eye of Narud's observer, which at the moment is the cheaper and more effective tool of map awareness. Gone from this revision however are the item's ability to be transported to and the item's true sight.

I'm very happy with the changes that Flare received in the recent patch. The increase in duration will help give the item a proper niche. The nerf to the TS ward's vision also helps Sentry wards retain their purpose through out the entire game. I think this proposed revision will let Omniscience do for map awareness in teams what kassia does for healing and what korhal does for armor.

Edited by Jessika

• 1 month later...

Seeing as this suggestion is being largely ignored (cuz everyone wants to win but nobody wants to play support), I'd like to point out a likely unintended consequence of a recent nerf.

When the TS ward sight radius was nerfed in a recent patch, so was the sight radius of Omniscience' wards. This is as I said likely unintended, but regardless is unnecessary as the item already suffers as a support tool (people are getting it to get fat instead of its namesake and information warfare).

This lends itself to my suggestion actually that Omniscience' active wards should be a unique ward that is exclusive to the item. A ward that simultaneously gives a larger sight range and ts range than both or either the sentry and ts wards. Omniscient Wards.

Still seems like a decent item

Permanent wards seems really weird if you can hide it in some doodads or any location, like a spot at the cliff between protoss mid t2 and firebat camp shoutout goes to Gio that plays rancor

Even if the player isn't really using the wards the best, the HP and regen can benefit them

Permanent wards seems really weird if you can hide it in some doodads or any location, like a spot at the cliff between protoss mid t2 and firebat camp shoutout goes to Gio that plays rancor

Even if the player isn't really using the wards the best, the HP and regen can benefit them

Edited by SCV

It's a decent item because the stats and build it it offers are decent and would be decent for any item. But in regards to it's namesake, to its purpose, it is leaves much to be desired IMO. Anyway I removed the 'permanence' of the wards, that shouldn't have been there come to think of it now.

Still Omniscience needs to:

1- Have better wards (especially after TS wards got nerfed)

2- Have more wards per its item slot (you can have 3 sentries per slot now and 2 TS wards per slot now)

3- Have a unique passive that lives up to its name (I suggested the unique 'Foresight' in this case) so that the item isn't useless when its wards are on cooldown.

If this means that the item's stats would take a hit, or that the item would have its price nerfed then so be it. At least it will have a stronger and more defined purpose. It will be to map awareness what Kassia is to team healing, or what Cerebro is for energy, or what silver soul is for speed.

@Aeren

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE COVENANT?!?! I CAN'T I JUST CAN'T!!!

anigif_enhanced-buzz-17833-1378948571-0.gif

I really like Yaldi's suggestion in this thread: http://www.aeonofsto...os/#entry131223

Therefore, if I may, I would like to incorporate it into my earlier suggestion and re-submit Omniscience' new ability:

Omnipotent Ward

[Active] Places an Omnipotent Ward at a target location. Omnipotent Ward gives 12u radius vision and true sight, and instantly destroys enemy wards (including other Omnipotent wards) in a 2.5u radius around them when first placed. Only 1 ward at a time. 90s cooldown.

Omnipotent Wards will not destroy enemy wards that have been placed within 2.5u radius of it after its initial placement.

I'd still keep the unique passive component from the original suggestion though.

Edited by Jessika