AoS 2016 Terrain Preview & Feedback Thread

MOTHER

I don't know if you have been paying attention to this thread: http://www.aeonofsto...pdate-for-2016/

But some good did come out of it and there is plenty more to come I hope. I was asked by Adam to redo AoS's terrain, and here is a preview of what came of that conversation. Bear in mind that these images represent a map currently in development, but you can track my progress in this thread.

Any feedback is most welcome.

1z1ya91.jpg

1ht5he.jpg

mmgcap.jpg

30rle34.jpg

t0s0sk.jpg

30j304i.jpg

2s6n8k5.jpg

eg3cc2.jpg

4givpw.jpg

EDIT-

Progress

Zerg

dmzi21.jpg

Where is Ellen Ripley when you need her?

6hncdy.jpg

Daggoth's lair

w7kn7d.jpg

What's going on down there?

2up8k7l.jpg

THE MYSTICAL WHISPERING WOODS OF FAIRIES AND SECRETS

291ou1w.jpg

These ruins have to lead to some where

2mmzl1y.jpg

Omg they do! Let us pray!

r714i0.jpg

The Crystal Forest!

2mx388y.jpg

Last surviving Terran mining colony... :(

2mwv5mo.jpg

Protoss

33mpeg8.jpg

EDIT 2-

Progress

11bjiox.jpg

2afeeeq.jpg

qrd6bt.jpg

4t0qvk.jpg

sfgp52.jpg

300tvg9.jpg

8x7x8l.jpg

262rt5u.jpg

ftnepc.jpg

2mewhgg.jpg

bf5e0k.jpg

ok2zc8.jpg

Edited by Jessika

I'm probably more amazed by what high graphics look like XD

Now upload low graphics versions so I know what I'm looking at ;)

Looks pretty amazing, hopefully not too busy

Low graphics? What are those? :p

It's actually less busy than you might think. The current AoS has over 3400 doodads and this one currently has less than 2200, with a good portion of those off screen. I aim to limit it within this range as to not impact performance, especially for graphically challenged PCs.

Edited by Jessika

Hm its just me probably, bit I think its still all small even if it was zoomed out

Also even though the hydralisk zerg creep does overlap, I think the locust is puny to be the creep, especially in the context of late game

Great job on the terrain too! Its like Adam gave you the map

Edited by accountzZ

Rly like it, good job Jessika

Btw are u planning to add creep tumor in zerg pool, and replacement for artifact in zerg base, as you said in other topic?

I'm afraid not. This is a purely cosmetic facelift for the map. 98% of the layout is identical to what you are used to.

The concept behind the zerg side of the map is that it is in the process of becoming a wasteland, and the base was a protoss based that got infested. So the artifact for example has creep webbing on it to play into that idea. If Adam does decide to change the Zerg artifact, there are several good choices for the zerg team just in case. It's up to him but I don't think it is needed anymore tbh.

Take this feed back with a grain of salt as I'm viewing this from a phone. By itself there is a lot of merit to adjusting terrain, it's a great way to make the map feel fresh. However from what I can tell, this terrain is very desaturated, using a color palette of mostly dark brown, grey, and purple, with minor green and orange highlights. It may get very dull/monotonous to look at. This could be an artifact of not having any units on the map.

Take this feed back with a grain of salt as I'm viewing this from a phone. By itself there is a lot of merit to adjusting terrain, it's a great way to make the map feel fresh. However from what I can tell, this terrain is very desaturated, using a color palette of mostly dark brown, grey, and purple, with minor green and orange highlights. It may get very dull/monotonous to look at. This could be an artifact of not having any units on the map.

It's actually a combination of your phone, no units on the map, and the lighting in the editor when I took these pics (it was set to 12:am midnight, using the braxis alpha tileset's lighting). The map is definitely more on the green side, but every part of the map is colored differently with intent on expressing different temperaments.

Also finding the perfect lighting will be very important because of the way SC2's lighting works. It can really make or break your terrain.

This is the exact same tileset used but with the Endion moon lighting for example.

Edited by Jessika

Lowest graphic cries here :(

can do campaign on high, aos kinda on low

We'll surely do a performance test run to make sure the new terrain has not impacted the game, and subsequently make revisions. Usually lag or more accurately rather frame rate drops that are related to the terrain are caused by having too many doodads in a small space. This map on average has less doodads per 15x15 cell area than current AoS.

A lot of the perceived hi-res quality you are seeing in this images is related to the new LotV tilesets that Blizzard released. AoS is using a really old tileset, we hardly even updated the terrain with HotS. So the Endion tileset is bound to feel like a big jump in graphical quality.

Edited by Jessika

hm the one thing that is bothering me, is that it is too natural for me

theres not much occasional terran/machine like doodads around, I really miss WoL stuff now

Don't worry about that.

There is a large Terran colony that was infested and destroyed by the zerg that makes up a large part of Zerg side of the jungle (T2/T3 firebat and thor camps+), and another smaller infested Terran colony that makes up the Zerg siege camp (T2).

There is also a small Terran colony that makes up the Protoss siege camp (T2).

Edited by Jessika