Dustin Brawler and Utility Drone (Quality of Life change)

MOTHER

I have a really simple suggestion that I think can really optimize this hero. I don't want to call it a buff, even though it kinda sorta is. Let me explain.

Currently Dustin's E is the skill required to move and deploy the drone to a target point. I propose that Dustin's heroic passive gains the active ability (V) to deploy the drone to a target point, where the drone will remain for a specified duration before returning to Dustin. The new heroic active has its own short cooldown of course, so that Dustin can't abuse the drone's deployment.

Dustin's E in turn loses the target point ability and becomes an instant cast spell (like W) that causes the drone to pulse. Everything else is unchanged about the spell.

I feel this heroic active skill better synergizes with the heroic passive, Q, and even E. Since drone deployment is no longer tied to E, Dustin can better position the drone at will, to fire his laser, or track his opponents with the heroic passive.

In the scenario that Dustin decides to move the drone while E is active, it could cancel E then move. The alternative, of having E continue pulsing while the drone is being moved with the heroic active may end up being too strong. But I don't think it would break him so it's up to you.

Interestingly, when the drone is not deployed (i.e. just following Dustin around), activating his E with this change can make for a good defensive spell against melee opponents chasing dustin.

Edited by Jessika

Yeah the heroic passive stays the same. It just gains the active target point ability to deploy the drone at a new location. The drone just moves there and stays for a time, but does not attack. You will need to use Q and E to attack with the drone. The drone of course retains the heroic passive when it moves to the new location, so it still gives Dustin vision.

Changing Q to spell damage with penetration also makes a lot more sense too, so I hope that change makes it.

For full spectrum use of the heroic passive, I would make it so that the utility drone extends the cast range of W. But I'm not sure how to go about making that the right way. But with this change at least, all of Dustin's kit would benefit from the heroic in some way. The design will be tighter.

Edited by Jessika

But you mean keep his current passive also, right? I like this idea, gonna make much more sense.

Also I think adam will make that his Q is spell dmg with 100% penetration from true. This is also gonna make much more sense, his E dmg amp only works with W atm.

I don't really understand

you just described the definition of true damage

spell damage with 100% penetration

I don't really understand

you just described the definition of true damage

spell damage with 100% penetration

The end result is the same but functionally they are still 2 different damage types.

True damage is damage not reduced by anything, and spell damage is damage reduced by spell armor. Spell damage with 100% armor penetration deals what is effectively true damage, but it also gains the benefit of certain buffs that proc on spell damage like nitro or death mask. So changing Dustin's Q to spell damage would be wise. You can give it 100% armor penetration, or simply increase the damage to account for the spell damage resistance so that damage output remains consistent.

Edited by Jessika

As a Brawler player, I don't like this for two reasons. First, I have my item hotkeys set for x,c,v and this would interfere with my normal hotkey setup for items. I don't like heroic actives for this reason. The second reason is that I view using E to position the drone as a matter of tactics; it's part of playing the hero. Many times, I'd use E to position the drone to fire a laser, and my opponent is so distracted by the fight that they just sit there and take damage from the drone. Sometimes, they even get killed by the drone damage after I'm dead (which is super-satisfying). Also, when you need the drone to scout over high ground to watch for incoming opponents, it's good to have it laying down a damage field in the process. So, ultimately, I feel that this change is entirely unnecessary to Brawler; he works more than fine as is.

The end result is the same but functionally they are still 2 different damage types.

True damage is damage not reduced by anything, and spell damage is damage reduced by spell armor. Spell damage with 100% armor penetration deals what is effectively true damage, but it also gains the benefit of certain buffs that proc on spell damage like nitro or death mask. So changing Dustin's Q to spell damage would be wise. You can give it 100% armor penetration, or simply increase the damage to account for the spell damage resistance so that damage output remains consistent.

Spell pen, Armor pen, str, agi, int and crit

All of those are attributes of hero not those of an ability

it will be so unnatural to give one ability 100% penetration

Unfortunately, I agree with Midknight's first point. I think most everyone of us uses zxcv for items, which presents a fundamental problem actually of having V being the hotkey for the heroic. Perhaps finding an alternative key for the heroic should be considered (regardless of this suggestion) wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Although I'm not sure about your second point Midknight, since technically you will still be able to do exactly that with this suggestion. You will just use a different key to position the drone. If E is active, it will do its thing anyway.

100% spell pen given to a single ability which is supposed to be an attribute of the hero

So?

What does that even mean exactly?

Spell resist is an attribute and boros Q gives 100% of that. Different abilities have different effects, that is why the game has more than 1 hero....

Edited by Dresden

So?

What does that even mean exactly?

Spell resist is an attribute and boros Q gives 100% of that. Different abilities have different effects, that is why the game has more than 1 hero....

it's like

giving muta's Q +50% crit chance exclusively

Crit is supposed to be an attribute of the hero. That means, your auto attack, crit-able ability procs it with same probability.

I don't see anything wrong with boros Q

grants boros 100% spell resist for few seconds

So you're saying either all his abilities should gain spell pen or none of them? Because Artanis and Warfield both have spell/physical pen from abilities...

Every hero you've listed so far are consistent with my point.

and no what i'm saying is add something natural instead of inconsistent stuffs.

I agreed the idea about adding E true damage amp

Every hero you've listed so far are consistent with my point.

and no what i'm saying is add something natural instead of inconsistent stuffs.

I agreed the idea about adding E true damage amp

What I'm saying is your opposed to a single ability gaining penetration but you're not opposed to abilities granting them penetration to all their damage. So I don't really understand difference? Nova's E grants temporary increased crit chance/damage, let's pretend Dustin ' s Q grants temporary 100% armor pen?

If his E amps true damage then he loses the spell amp from missiles/drone damage...