New Rating System

MOTHER

The current one is completely pointless. Given the circumstances of the AoS community and Bnet now, the rating system needs to tell me one thing and one thing only. Are these players going to ruin my game or not. I propose the following:

Winning - You gain rating.

Losing - Nothing happens.

Leaving/being kicked - You lose rating.

And at worst, people whose rating drops below a certain level should be barred from playing (yes I realize they can delete some files and reset their rating but let them deal with that hassle every time). The skill level of the player is irrelevant at this point, what matters is whether or not they will actually play the game. The quality of the player's sportsmanship is what should be measured, not their skill (everyone knows everyone by now). People who join a game then leave 2 minutes in because of stupid shap like 'ih calls' is utterly inconsiderate, and it ruins the experience for the people left behind. This is especially relevant now, when it takes flob-ton amount of time to get a lobby full, only to have it ruined in 5 minutes due to leavers.

Edited by Jessika

Pretty sure no one would be able to play the game then from ' leaving'. Since when one person leaves or two generally everyone leaves so therefore everyone, even the goodies, have the same rating as the initial leaver.

Not necessarily.

The people who remain have a choice to either play til the end or '-tm' the game and move on.

Also since there is no penalty for losing, people will surrender more easily.

Edited by Jessika

That is cause by the 3.0 patch. Apparently, Blizzard change certain functions in the editor and never manage to fix it. In order to fix that, it would have to completely remake the current player handling system. I might attempt it if DM beta test works well.

Edited by SCV

Personally if it's 3v5 or worse and they won't surrender I usually just leave because I don't see the point of playing the game if it's not going to be fun at all.

That's just it. People will more likely surrender and take the loss if there are no consequences to losing. I really believe a small change like this can may change the quality of the playing experience.

There is an auto-surrender but it only kicks in during a 5v2 situation. 4v2 and 3v2 still goes. I think the following situations should also be added.

4v2

4v1

3v1

Expanding auto-surrender is more reason by the way to remove the penalty of losing and only stress the penalty for leaving.

What peeves me off more is the trash who decide to 'finish pub' while 8 people are waiting for them in IH. Pretending rating matters..sigh.

Yeah how dare they not ruin a game that is already underway with 9 people because 8 people are waiting for them? Some people.

Your new rating system is progression based.. Basically Call of duty "bs" where it's not about skill it's about how much games you play, But seeing as how most people have just completely lost interest in the current ranking system I guess I wouldn't see much of a problem reverting to a casual ranking system.

Personally I have always felt that the most useful metric is "Participation".

(Your Kills + Your Assists) / (Your Team's Kills)

Anyways, if you all agree on a replacement system and need me to implement it, I'll be happy to oblige.

Hmm, sadly kills/assists alone is a really really poor way to judge players. This is a moba, it's not about kills, it's about objectives. kills only help you get the objective easier, but you don't have to kill to succeeded.

Secondly if you based a rating system off skills/assist it would completely change the way the game is played, it basically turns into a war of "WOW YOU STOLE MY KILL NOOB". The entire mind set of players would be kills, it would turn into basically Call of duty, little kids playing with the sole intent to get hero kills nothing more, screaming at you when you "Kill steal". It's just not how moba's play out it's supposed to be a team game, and killing the opponents base is the goal.

Moba's are no different than Objective games in first person shooters, like Bomb in call of duty, or capture the flag/oddball in Halo, it doesn't matter if your team ends up dieing 60 times getting 0 kills, as long as you got the objective you won.

Edited by ShoopMan

Hmm, sadly kills/assists alone is a really really poor way to judge players. This is a moba, it's not about kills, it's about objectives. kills only help you get the objective easier, but you don't have to kill to succeeded.

Your team has to get the objectives to win, yes. But as a player you could not take a single objective and still be contributing highly to your team. If you spend the entire game picking off enemy heroes and this allows your team to push, you are obviously contributing, just in a different role.

The only true way to measure skill is something like an ELO system. Whether or not you won, how good the enemy team was, how good your team was. This just doesn't work for AoS though because peoples' ELO is deflated by the fact that leaving counts as a loss even if your team wins. So more people lose on average than win. Lower scores for most people means it is harder to get to higher scores because when you lose you lose to people with low scores and lose a lot of ELO.

For this reason I think participation is the best metric. The only thing it doesn't really capture is soloing objectives, and AoS doesn't really have dedicated split pushers, so that's not a huge deal. Working with your team is typically the best way to win.

Secondly if you based a rating system off skills/assist it would completely change the way the game is played, it basically turns into a war of "WOW YOU STOLE MY KILL NOOB". The entire mind set of players would be kills, it would turn into basically Call of duty, little kids playing with the sole intent to get hero kills nothing more, screaming at you when you "Kill steal". It's just not how moba's play out it's supposed to be a team game, and killing the opponents base is the goal.

Nah. The entire point of the formula I provided is that it doesn't do this. Kills and assists are treated equally; it doesn't matter who gets the kill.