Guide Requests!

LuneKnight

Iron cain (not dmg as you think, but a build i use)

4-2-1

Haste and demigod no undying...

Starting build: 300 min str item, quantum spade-->> ocelot

metabolic booster --> pulse hammer

Tenderizer

upgrade ocelot into bhm

and get smoldering incisior(small pyre that does % of current hp) please please go for smoldering incisor and NOT upgrade it till later, the complete pyre will unnecessarily delay your build just for a few wpn dmg and cdr, going for the 2k smoldering incisior fits the purpose of taking down high hp chars and is quite cheaper for early dmg out, I seen people when they try to complete the pyre, they dont get do as much dmg as other options will and the cost to complete pyre may stop your build there since the game will be over when you lack dmg or etc.

Otherwise get gauss cannon for the chasing and wpn speed

upgrade pulse into FoE if need for hp

upgrade tenderizer into Caut. (you can choose to upgrade it early and it is still very strong due to the large amount of armor it gives and a total around 70+ wpn dmg, steal wpn speed and it allows you to take on other bruisers that dont have this item in the early stages)

and xenomorph for your last part

BHM,FoE(sell if needed),gauss//pyre,caut, and xenomorph

your last item is up to you

wanna go int? get Yamato and cerebro

want regen? get a hp pot

want more dmg? sell FoE for a cont. shard and the last item should be Khaliblade

want more tankiness? grab more cont.shard and the build should be 3 cont.shards,pyre,xeno,and caut

for skill build I would go for

1- Freeze or W

2- E or Freeze

3- W

4-E or W

5-W or E

6- your ulti

7-E

8-E

9-W

10-Q

11-R

12-Q

13-Q

14-W

15- stats

16-R

17-18-stats

Edited by accountzZ

Okay at the very least in terms of items, forget most of what the guy above said.

Now for skills:

Level 1: E

Level 2: Q

Level 3: W

After that focus on maxing E first, while grabbing the ult when you can. Then max W, then Q as last.

How you distribute points between E and W is debatable, but I choose E since it synergizes with both W and R, as opposed to W which only synergizes with E.

For items, it really depends on your situation. But I will list a bunch of viable items on Cain, and give them a rating from 1-5 with 5 being basically mandatory to get.

Coat of Arms

Rating: 5

Evaluation: Coat of Arms provides everything you need for Cain: a bit of weapon speed, a bit of damage from strength scaling, a bit of health, a bit of cooldown reduction, and most importantly, the unique it gains from Khala Stone keeps up your energy. Strength Bruisers are quite ability and therefore energy dependent, so this is quite important.

Atom Smasher/Black Hole Magnum

Rating: 2.5

Evaluation: Powerstrike items are just good in general. However, they have a duration for which the unique remains active, and I am not entirely sure how well that works with Cain's R.

Xenomorphic Cleaver

Rating: 4

Evaluation: Cain, due to Barrage (E) can skimp out quite a bit on Weapon Speed and quickly focus damage like this.

C48 Gauss Cannon

Rating: 4.5

Evaluation: C48's unique is perfect for Cain, giving him the mobility that he lacks, along with Weapon Speed you might have skimped out on, as well as Armor Penetration which is always nice.

Contamination Shard

Evaluation: A large chunk of Strength and resist, along with a Unique that boosts your damage. I generally almost always get this on Strength Bruisers.

Tenderizer/Cauterizer

Rating : 4

Evaluation: I feel not enough people get this item. It gives you a MASSIVE edge against other DPS with the amount of Armor it gives. It's unique also basically gives you extra stats. It is meant to be a "anti-DPS" item but you gain Weapon Speed and Damage from anything you attack besides towers regardless. Not to mention this can help deal with that pesky Shadow with Explosive Retrofit quite nicely.

Darwin's Might

Evaluation: Another item I feel not enough people get. A large chunk of Strength, which translates to tankiness as well as damage, Lifesteal, a hidden OP heal unique, and great Spell Resist. I usually try to find ways to make room for this.

Silver Soul

Rating: 3

Evaluation: Before the item revamps, Silver Soul was the primary method by which players gave Cain mobility. I feel it is not as necessary now with how Agility stat works and C48 Gauss, but it is still quite popular.

Phase Cloak/Shinobi Style

Rating: 3.5

Evaluation: With how Cain's E+R works, he is somewhat of a burst which makes him work quite nicely with this item. Agility stat now gives Weapon Damage as well, so it is no longer quite as big of a trade off in Weapon Damage when you get this item. Also, let's not forget that Shinobi provides 20% Movement Speed while cloaked.

Smoldering Incisor/Isomorphic Pyre

Evaluation: To put it bluntly: Anyone who intends to do damage through auto-attacks generally gets this item. It's not MANDATORY but let's face it, it's unique is quite nice, and if you are up against a Drake with like 6000+ HP, it certainly is going to help a helluvalot.

Everthirst

Rating: 2

Evaluation: Everthirst is a item that sounds good in theory, however it's just so expensive compared to Coat of Arms...nevertheless, if you decide to skip out on Coat of Arms, consider this item to sustain your energy reserves instead.

Duran's Buckler

Rating: 3.5

Evaluation: Tankiness is quite helpful for Strength Bruisers, and for 850 Minerals you get that plus Weapon Damage from Strength. I like to grab this when I can early.

Galactic Defender

Evaluation: In a nutshell: A DPS-type hero's counter to Spell Damage.

Explosive Retrofit

Evaluation: I don't like getting this item on non-melee heroes. It has one of the lowest lifesteal stats in the game, and particularly as a Strength Bruiser, I doubt that you need additional health. I also personally prefer something that has a higher chance of letting me win a fight than something that clears creeps faster.

Naix Claw

Evaluation: If I want lifesteal on a ranged hero, this is what I get.

Lightning Rod/Cerebros

Evaluation: I see people get this on heroes like Cain and Boros for energy sustain, but the INT hardly helps you if you are building DPS, and the Unique only goes so far. Stick with Coat of Arms/Everthirst or even Atom Smasher/Black Hole Magnum.

Automated Parry/Related Items

Evaluation: It's surprisingly helpful if you are having trouble with other DPS. Negating 1-3 of their shots can make all the difference between who dies between you or them.

Pulse Hammer/Force of Entropy

Rating: 4.5

Evaluation: For a slow guy like Cain, Q and his Heroic Passive are not enough to keep up with other guys when closing in for the kill. You really need this item.

Sliptide Scythe

Evaluation: Again, Agility is decent stat now, so if you need some Weapon Speed+ Spell Resist+Movement Speed consider Sliptide Scythe.

There are probably more items, but that's all I could think of off the top of my head.

Now for execution: Cain is fairly straightforward. You use Q to stun if you can, then Barrage then to death with E. Now how you execute R depends on your distance from the opponent:

If you are at the edge of your range, then you are forced to freeze them with Q, then go in with a R+E

Ideally, you close in on them within your range, get off a few shots of R+E, freeze them with Q, then get off more shots of R+E, then release when ready.

As with Any DPS, make sure to last hit and farm properly, grab a early Soul Engine for sustain during laning phase, gl hf.

Well the issue is that many bruisers get those items because they capitalize on ability cast+Powerstrike to get them through the early-mid game. However, with Barrage, R, and W, Cain does not need that.

Basically what I'm saying is, it' not quite as necessary. For example, any decent Tychus player is usually going to get BHM/Atom, but for Cain it's often just preference.

Ideally, you close in on them within your range, get off a few shots of R+E, freeze them with Q, then get off more shots of R+E, then release when ready.

As with Any DPS, make sure to last hit and farm properly, grab a early Soul Engine for sustain during laning phase, gl hf.

Great tips, A thing I've been wondering is how R actually works. When you release R and the bullets go back to nomal speed, do all the shots in mid air still get the R bonus?

Edited by ShoopMan

Great tips, A thing I've been wondering is how R actually works. When you release R and the bullets go back to nomal speed, do all the shots in mid air still get the R bonus?

The damage from the physical attack happens instantly along with on hit effects, i believe. Its only the magical but from thw ulti that happens when you release it

The damage from the physical attack happens instantly along with on hit effects, i believe. Its only the magical but from thw ulti that happens when you release it

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. All regular weapon damage occurs whenever the missile hits as well as the additional R damage. On hit effects USED (I believe Whale/Adam finally fixed this) to proc instantly, which sometimes made proc items bad on him because they would break his Q earlier than intended.

I haven't played Cain in awhile though >.>

You are correct Jaysi. No on hit effects occur until the missile hits. Whale fixed that. And as far as how his R missiles work, when he has R active, he technically fires different missiles from his regular weapon (even though they look the same). So it doesn't matter what speed they are going, the game knows to deal the bonus spell damage from those missiles.