Upgraded Xbox One?

Jaysi

Any console gamers have thoughts on when the best time to buy an Xbox One is?

I'm curious if they are going to release an upgraded version at some point similar to the Xbox 360 Elite package they released a few years into the 360 life cycle that had a larger hard drive and improved heat dissipation.

I don't believe this console generation will last as long as the previous console, mainly due to the Xbox One not getting most games to that 1080 output like the PS4 and that neither console supports 4k graphics at all.

Don't try to convince me to go to the dark side of PS4 because I'm an Xbox guy through and through. Also having Windows computers I'm sure they will complement the Xbox currently and in the future.

Also don't try to convince me to join the other dark side of PC.

Next-gen will probably involve even more streaming, who knows the current-gen may not have the 'hardware' for 4K but could stream something close to it.

Traditionally I was a Sony fanyboy (PS1-4), but with not much time for console gaming I'll give my honest view. If you've always been on the wrong side (Xbox) then stick to it and buy the new Xbox One during Black friday. Halo is coming out soon and they are generally good games. The PS4 doesn't have an amazing line up of a games, just better graphics/more power. Honestly the difference is graphics isn't massive, you'd be trading console familiarity for something the eye barely notices day-to-day. At the end of the day go with the console my friends have, it's boring playing solo (in b4 fast-fap).

Although i agree with skydie that i pretty much just get what my mates have so we can play together. We all agree that the ps4 is functionally better than the xbone and the exclusive games are too.

That aside if they are releasing an upgraded one from a marketing perspective it is highly unlikely to happen until this time next year. I havent heard of any xbones breaking as badly as the 360 rrod issue so it is likely the only upgrade will be hard drive space and is that worth waiting a year for?

Although i agree with skydie that i pretty much just get what my mates have so we can play together. We all agree that the ps4 is functionally better than the xbone and the exclusive games are too.

That aside if they are releasing an upgraded one from a marketing perspective it is highly unlikely to happen until this time next year. I havent heard of any xbones breaking as badly as the 360 rrod issue so it is likely the only upgrade will be hard drive space and is that worth waiting a year for?

Sadly I don't think any of my friends have consoles anymore... lol.

And they are actually releasing an Xbox One Elite with a terabyte of hard drive this black Friday I believe. I was just hoping for anything better than hard drive space lol.

• 10 months later...

And we have returned!It looks like the Xbox One is coming out with a slim version. There's also Scorpio coming out which will be quite a bit more upgraded, I don't recall details.

It sounds like systems will be upgrading more frequently with backwards compatability being almost guaranteed. Sounds like a nightmare for developers. And people who think they need the latest tech.

Any thoughts?

I'm considering the slim XBone because my 360 is getting old and just gave me a half red ring recently. I usually don't get consoles immediately after release (I got a PS3 a few days after PS4 first came out) because they're fraught with problems and issues that need to be patched so I, personally, wouldn't even be considering the Scorpio.

Don't know about you guys, but next-gen seems so overhyped every year. I remember the Wii and Project Natal after, best to just wait for Black Friday/Xmas sales (in the UK atleast) before I buy something big. Like who right now uses motion-sensing/4K? I used 3D on my Black Ops years ago and it was a waste of money that hurt my eyes (made me tired really quick too..).

I feel for devs having to code for systems with different specs, but also for consumers - it's getting expensive to buy a new console every few years.

Also RIP DonaldDunk 2015-2016?

Edited by PlantMan