How long should draft picks be?

Adamantium

31 members have voted

1. 1. We are making a draft mode. How long should you have for each pick and ban?

• 30s
    • 45s
    • 60s
    • 90s
    • 120s
    • Other (Please specify)

Other: 30s (real time not sc2 time, so however long it translates to) per hero pick/ban (so in a phase where you get to pick 2 heroes you would pick 2x for 30s each). And 2 minutes (again, real time) reserve time to be used whenever you run out of time in the phases (this is so you can think deeper on certain phases or think slightly longer on every phase, depending on the mind games/ personal preferences of the drafters). This comes down to a -maximum- time of 6,5 minutes per Drafter (4x 30s for bans, 5x 30s for picks and 2min reserve time), which is a perfectly reasonable time for setting up a game while giving sufficient time for proper reactive drafting (although considering the current hero pool the reserve time could potentially be a minute less).

Edited by LameDude

We are making a draft mode. How long should you have for each pick and ban?

*claps*

its about freakin time draft mode was implemented

some concerns & ideas that i came up with a while ago though are;

it needs to be dynamic & flexible, not everyone uses mumble or has a microphone or wants to sit around organising an In-House for ages.

make it so this is normal: replace the starting screen with a simple vote option to make it a draft game or free pick, we have always wanted to encourage better game play and if you can make it an option to do it on a public game it makes it that much easier & teaches people the basics

one feature i would like to see is an option for the 4 people sitting there who aren't the captain on each team to be able to highlight their preferred champions / hero's so its easy to visually see what heroes each player can play making the captains job much easier.

instead of a wall of text from both teams filled with 80% useless information you have to trowel through to do 1 pick.....

30 seconds. Force people to damn learn how to draft, stop wasting time and stop afking. It will produce also more hype.

If your team is not a potato and can communicate on basic lvl and captain have any knowledge about drafting then 30 sec is completly enough (if your team is talking about heroes/draft not on some ridciolous irrevelant stuff- if they talk crap -> then they should not play IH atm). If its not enough and it flobs up one game then there is 100x more games to learn from. That simple.

30sec is still - 30x (10 + amount of bans) . So if i remember correctly and its still the same then amount of bans = 6. 30 x 16= 480 sec = 8 MINUTES.

EIGHT MINUTES.

EIGHT MINUTES before each game (not counting grouping players for a lobby). Which is still high amount but i think acceptable for a trade of decent game.

Increase draft to 60sec per ban pick and its already 16 min. Make it 120 and there whats the diffrence between draft mode and no draft? Whats the sense.

But do what you want its your fking game. Rofl

Its shocking that it took so long to start making such essential stuff into the game.

30 seconds. Force people to damn learn how to draft, stop wasting time and stop afking. It will produce also more hype.

If your team is not a potato and can communicate on basic lvl and captain have any knowledge about drafting then 30 sec is completly enough (if your team is talking about heroes/draft not on some ridciolous irrevelant stuff- if they talk crap -> then they should not play IH atm). If its not enough and it flobs up one game then there is 100x more games to learn from. That simple.

30sec is still - 30x (10 + amount of bans) . So if i remember correctly and its still the same then amount of bans = 6. 30 x 16= 480 sec = 8 MINUTES.

EIGHT MINUTES.

EIGHT MINUTES before each game (not counting grouping players for a lobby). Which is still high amount but i think acceptable for a trade of decent game.

Increase draft to 60sec per ban pick and its already 16 min. Make it 120 and there whats the diffrence between draft mode and no draft? Whats the sense.

But do what you want its your fking game. Rofl

Its shocking that it took so long to start making such essential stuff into the game.

We're talking about a seperate gamemode here, which would mainly be used for inhouses, where a similar system is already being used, except right now it is without time constraints.

Edited by LameDude

considering the general tone and that final sentence I have my sincere doubts as to the accuracy of that statement, Master Yaldi.

I can guarentee you are wrong on this one

He has been around for a very long time... he is talking about the fact that there hasn't been a proper draft mode implemented.

In fact if you take the time to go back through his topics he has created i am sure he made one laying out everything he thinks should be changed. Addition of a draft mode is on this I believe.

P.s. i vote 60secs or 30 plus bonus time

i would agree to 60 seconds.

i see it often, that guys arent on Mumble while draft, so everyone has to write everything. That takes more time then talking about it.

Then make sure people are on mumble when want to play IH. There is also an option to just not inv people/kick people like that from ih. Why community accept stuff like that.

Lower timer will force people to BE in mumble,game and participate.

So does that mean if you fail to pick/ban within the time limit you have one randomed for you?

Yes, it random from rest of the hereos that are not picked/banned.

Shorter time for draft will force people to think also about game/draft before and between games.

One downside of short draft is that it will increase pick ratio of more common, known stuff (esp on lower lvls)- which will increase stagnation of meta. (but still many people with time will start to think faster and also get experience of higher variety of drafting). Evolving the meta can take more time.

But on the other edge increased time on draft will encourage people to AFK and not participate in drafting process, team commitment, which in my eyes have way higher negative impact in gaming value. Will decrease amount of games and value of ih games (longer to wait) which results also in lowering the learning pace in some degree (even when amount of games =/= is not straightly equal to learning)

45 sec is complete maximum, more then enough. But still 30 sec should be enough.

If its needed it can be even introduced 2 or more, several draft modes with diffrent timers (which i don't think should be a problem)

What i think would be really cool and beneficial. Help in drafting and other moba games i know dont have in that lvl would be able for teammates to suggest heroes they wanna be pick/banned. (they just click on the hero)

Each guy in team have diffrent colour (like for example orange/green/blue/white it could be shown even below their nick or whatever which colour they have) and everyone can suggest for example maximum 3 diffrent heroes (per pick/ban) they can/want to play/ban. Each time players suggest same hero, the portait on the hero gets more and more divided in the coloured-shaded background/drowning in colour (colour layers/mask)

lets say portrait of the micro

Micro.gravitus.png

like this (only diffrent colours)

Masked-Various.png

or this

picture07.jpg

Just graphically shown somehow and clearly suggested heroes, the number of suggest and who suggested.

or even just by written player nicks.

It would faster the drafting process and easier it out for captain and overall. (reduce the amount of communication needed, talk required in chat)

Overall everything needs to be clear and simple.

The timer, is it BAN or is it PICK, WHO BAN, WHO PICK, who will ban and pick when, What was picked, what was banned, who is cap, portraits of heroes adjusted (maybe possible toggle of str/agi/int to all heroes together on one screen visible)

some concerns & ideas that i came up with a while ago though are;

it needs to be dynamic & flexible, not everyone uses mumble or has a microphone or wants to sit around organising an In-House for ages.

make it so this is normal: replace the starting screen with a simple vote option to make it a draft game or free pick, we have always wanted to encourage better game play and if you can make it an option to do it on a public game it makes it that much easier & teaches people the basics

one feature i would like to see is an option for the 4 people sitting there who aren't the captain on each team to be able to highlight their preferred champions / hero's so its easy to visually see what heroes each player can play making the captains job much easier.

instead of a wall of text from both teams filled with 80% useless information you have to trowel through to do 1 pick.....

What i think would be really cool and beneficial. Help in drafting and other moba games i know dont have in that lvl would be able for teammates to suggest heroes they wanna be pick/banned. (they just click on the hero)

Each guy in team have diffrent colour (like for example orange/green/blue/white it could be shown even below their nick or whatever which colour they have) and everyone can suggest for example maximum 3 diffrent heroes (per pick/ban) they can/want to play/ban. Each time players suggest same hero, the portait on the hero gets more and more divided in the coloured-shaded background/drowning in colour (colour layers/mask)

lets say portrait of the micro

Micro.gravitus.png

like this (only diffrent colours)

or this

picture07.jpg

Just graphically shown somehow and clearly suggested heroes, the number of suggest and who suggested.

or even just by written player nicks.

It would faster the drafting process and easier it out for captain and overall. (reduce the amount of communication needed, talk required in chat)

Overall everything needs to be clear and simple.

The timer, is it BAN or is it PICK, WHO BAN, WHO PICK, who will ban and pick when, What was picked, what was banned, who is cap, portraits of heroes adjusted (maybe possible toggle of str/agi/int to all heroes together on one screen visible)

ty for reposting my idea, it is good yes?

glad you understand me today

i was going to add to that that there needs to be a button for people on the hero select screen to change it from "Details" view to just a screen of hero icons

80% of people that inhouse / or have played for a while know every hero & don't need to read them, all you need is a popup name when you mouse over it

this should increase selection productivity

i agree that a 45 sec is a good time for picks and bans but it should be reduced if possible, see how it feels it can be adjusted, we dont need to piss everyone off if its too quick

& adding more things like the above will only improve this

Edited by ANARCHY

ty for reposting my idea, it is good yes?

glad you understand me today

i was going to add to that that there needs to be a button for people on the hero select screen to change it from "Details" view to just a screen of hero icons

80% of people that inhouse / or have played for a while know every hero & don't need to read them, all you need is a popup name when you mouse over it

this should increase selection productivity

i agree that a 45 sec is a good time for picks and bans but it should be reduced if possible, see how it feels it can be adjusted, we dont need to piss everyone off if its too quick

& adding more things like the above will only improve this

I have no idea who are you