List of trash game mechanics

Revision

These are IMO what makes this game bad even though i do enjoy alot of other aspects of it. will be interesting to know what the rest of the community thinks about it. feedback is welcomed.

Being able see aeon attack through the fog of war

Being able attack aeon from high ground

Making wards take 3+ people to kill with toxi w

Stun knife making you having to deselect and reselect your currently selected ability

Warp shard allowing you to teleport highground

Shinobi style gives the most weapon in the game if you are agility.

Atom smasher 66% slow for 2 seconds with a 2 second internal cd.

All hard adc have a skill that "reveals" cloaked enemies

Ad carries are given trash abilities and heavy mobility to make up for the fact that their items favor them more lategame than casters.

Debuff immunity does not cancel micro throw

tanks are forced into the spell buffer korhal and chilling items every game and these items just give flat stats and have no active abilities that actually make you feel like you are "supporting".

shinobi/phase cloak, flare/sunflare, tpi/yamato all have different active cooldowns

if you have salsaslash on boros you can "scan" the map for heroes/wards/bosses by hovering over an area and if the ability turns yellow there is a unit in that area.

the counterplay to omnislash is make it glitch out with a small mobility skill.

denying reduces experience granted allowing a hero who has 20 more base weapon damage and demigod to just dominate the lane

there is no item for casters that increases % intelligence allowing for late game caster carries that are not broken as hell mid game as well from the base dmg of their skills.

warp shard is a 4k int item

lockbox is a 4k int item

vorpals e

alot of the slows in the game also slow attack speed including: micro q, tychus e, jackson w, pyro r, tassadar w, nova r.

cain is able to attack with his ulti while cloaked.

This is NOT a thread about balance, rather a thread about how the way things "should" be. please do not post balance related subjects or complain at eachother here.

Edited by Revision

These are IMO what makes this game bad even though i do enjoy alot of other aspects of it. will be interesting to know what the rest of the community thinks about it. feedback is welcomed.

yes

yes

yes

Stun knife making you having to deselect and reselect your currently selected ability

meh

meh

yes

yes

yes

Ad carries are given trash abilities and heavy mobility to make up for the fact that their items favor them more lategame than casters.

meh

meh

tanks are forced into the spell buffer korhal and chilling items every game and these items just give flat stats and have no active abilities that actually make you feel like you are "supporting".

yes

shinobi/phase cloak, flare/sunflare, tpi/yamato all have different active cooldowns

yes

if you have salsaslash on boros you can "scan" the map for heroes/wards/bosses by hovering over an area and if the ability turns yellow there is a unit in that area.

Feature

meh

denying reduces experience granted allowing a hero who has 20 more base weapon damage and demigod to just dominate the lane

Demigod might be the problem here not the 20 weapon dmg

there is no item for casters that increases % intelligence allowing for late game caster carries that are not broken as hell mid game as well from the base dmg of their skills.

yes

meh

lockbox is a 4k int item

meh

vorpals e

yes

alot of the slows in the game also slow attack speed including: micro w, tychus e, jackson w, pyro r, tassadar w, nova r.

meh

Feature

This is NOT a thread about balance, rather a thread about how the way things "should" be. please do not post balance related subjects or complain at eachother here.

True there have always been a lot of 'rough edges' in AOS that hold it back from truly being a polished game, although it makes a great attempt at being so. It is after all limited to Starcraft's engine/editor

Can you explain what you mean by

"there is no item for casters that increases % intelligence allowing for late game caster carries that are not broken as hell mid game as well from the base dmg of their skills."

Edited by Head

Being able to see bosses through fog of war is just strange.

You can do that with both bosses though.

Funny, but annoying.

Annoying, it is stupid I agree.

Completely unbalanced abuse. It is annoying.

What's so bad about that?

My personal philosophy for Powerstrike items is this: although it is stupidly strong, it is stupidly strong on every hero except Narud, so that makes it balanced.

I admit it is annoying.

Well the more recent Ad carries are given both op abilities, op mobility, and op items in general.

I feel like various throws, pulls, and zoning abilities are not CC (since I consider CC to be either slows, silences, or stuns/knock up), and consequently, since the abilities themselves do not apply a debuff, of course debuff immunity does not counter them. That would be silly.

tanks are forced into the spell buffer korhal and chilling items every game and these items just give flat stats and have no active abilities that actually make you feel like you are "supporting".e

There was a post about this. But consequently, wouldn't that mean you could have like 5 actives just in items? Sounds chaotic.

Not sure why that is a issue, but I do agree that Cooldowns on such items need to be adjusted a bit.

Did not know that, seems stupid.

Stupid, I agree.

Agree

Not sure what you mean.

It is way too good, so I think the price is fine.

lockbox is a 4k int item

Agree

vorpals e

Agree. If Starscream's Tac Missiles and Avenger's Punisher cannot proc Crit, why should Vorpal's Javelin?

alot of the slows in the game also slow attack speed including: micro q, tychus e, jackson w, pyro r, tassadar w, nova r.

As long as it states that it does so, I have no issues with it.

Agree.

yes

yes

didn't even know that one. Yes.

the idea of stun knife is wrong to begin with....

that's fine

that's fine

it was nerfed to 50% I believe, and just movement now. It's an item that punishes being out of position. Since it's not bought by spellcaster bursters with high mobility, and very rarely by ad bursters, I don't see much problem with it

Nova passive is pretty broken, but its her only good ability. Darpa's Q requires a few attacks first, Muta Q is weak in most other regards, and Huntress W should be changed to be less noob-friendly. Warfield's is an ult, and not a particularily good one, considering how hard it is countered by debuff imunity.

That's only really nova you are speaking off. Darpa, Shadow, Boros, Muta, Huntress, Zera, and Warfield are decent to outstanding

He'd be entirely worthless late game if that was the case.

Spell buffer and korhal are simply too good. If they were not must have items, you could talk about lockbox, eternal drive, taser, sword breaker, pink healing item thing, etc being the real support items

Doesn't bother me. Perhaps phase cloak should share cooldown with shinobi due to shinobi passive but the rest are fine IMO....

Not half as bad as sheild-scanning in the new X-Com game multiplayer. But should be fixed too, I suppose.

Don't care. Salsa slash is 10x more swag, I never get omni anymore. Let the noobtards and tryhards suffer, I say.

You lose only a tiny fraction of the xp. While they go for last-hits, you poke them instead, and you can force them out of lane, or quite often get all the gold and xp they denied with interest by killing them.

Argus sort of fills that role. Not exactly, since it doesn't affect heals, and is sometimes better or worse than it should be, depending on the int scale of an ability, but close. I wouldn't mind seeing it's unique changed into a Rabadon's Deathcap unique though.

The price of mobility. If it's any lower, micro, jackson, etc, hit their peak way earlier and bad things happen.

lockbox is a 4k int item

It's an item to remove someone from a teamfight, not an item for noob rorys to land molotovs (or apparently for Soed to land Kerri ult and q combos, from what I heard). As it should be.

vorpals e

Actually it should be vorpal ult. In any case you get one skill that is pretty shap, and one that is ultimate-worthy, depending on what you build.

I believe that micro q no longer does that, (if it does, it should be changed to not do so) and tassadar W never did.... though if it does I say fair compromise, since tassadar is not attacking at the moment either. Jackson W is barely noticable, tychus E should be changed, and the two ultimates are precisely that, ultimates. And they are still weaker than quite a few...... pls nerf Viper's while we are on the subject.......

Yes.

Edited by Doom

True there have always been a lot of 'rough edges' in AOS that hold it back from truly being a polished game, although it makes a great attempt at being so. It is after all limited to Starcraft's engine/editor

Can you explain what you mean by

"there is no item for casters that increases % intelligence allowing for late game caster carries that are not broken as hell mid game as well from the base dmg of their skills."

To explain this for everyone else who maybe didnt understand this, the big caster item currently is Argus which increases spell dmg by 20%. This means that it makes base damages 20% higher as well as increasing dmg by giving int. What revision is talking about is an item that not only gives int but increases your overall int by a percentage so it would effects the scaling but not the base dmg of skills similarly to the deathcap item in lol. I think the devs at the time were trying to be different and did not want to copy the item but in doing so caused other problems.

League

of

Players who cant last hit.

I laner vs the same ganger several times actually and this "ganger" only plays heroes with instant attack animations and high base weapon damage.

1530.gif

@OP I think most, if not all, points are valid. Several of them is stuff that should have been fixed ages ago.

Add to it the fact that creep is not revealed when attacking from highground (Stalkers, hydras, siege creep)

Being able see aeon attack through the fog of war- Agree, same happens with grunty and few more heroes like lurker

Being able attack aeon from high ground Agree, not sure why this is still possible

Making wards take 3+ people to kill with toxi w Agree, u shouldnt be able to cast anything on wards rofl..

Stun knife making you having to deselect and reselect your currently selected ability meh, would be nice to get fixed, but not that much important

Warp shard allowing you to teleport highground This would be nice way to balance warp shard

Shinobi style gives the most weapon in the game if you are agility. Agree

Atom smasher 66% slow for 2 seconds with a 2 second internal cd Agree, but instead I would nerf cds on abilities

All hard adc have a skill that "reveals" cloaked enemies Meh

Ad carries are given trash abilities and heavy mobility to make up for the fact that their items favor them more lategame than casters Agree lol, all u have to do later is right click and escape when needed

Debuff immunity does not cancel micro throw Meh, its not like its some kind of debuff, but would be interesting

tanks are forced into the spell buffer korhal and chilling items every game and these items just give flat stats and have no active abilities that actually make you feel like you are "supporting". Agree, devs obviously got wrong what support means.

shinobi/phase cloak, flare/sunflare, tpi/yamato all have different active cooldowns Discussable

if you have salsaslash on boros you can "scan" the map for heroes/wards/bosses by hovering over an area and if the ability turns yellow there is a unit in that area. lol didnt even think about this, revision OP

the counterplay to omnislash is make it glitch out with a small mobility skill. Omni is most retarded skill in game, I suggested that if u want to keep it just make it less random, and increse dmg and reduce strikes as it was

denying reduces experience granted allowing a hero who has 20 more base weapon damage and demigod to just dominate the lane Agree, but this isnt problem with denying, i rly like that reduces so much xp tbh, problem is as u said so much difference in wepon damage, quist also said demigod, its fine, only problem is retarded difference in dmg, idk did whale balance it in beta, I saw lot of nice changes.

there is no item for casters that increases % intelligence allowing for late game caster carries that are not broken as hell mid game as well from the base dmg of their skills. Agree

warp shard is a 4k int item tbh I would just get back old 1700(?) warp shard, that only provides u blink

lockbox is a 4k int item Agree

vorpals e yp, altho aa vorp falls off a lot late game in my opinion

alot of the slows in the game also slow attack speed including: micro q, tychus e, jackson w, pyro r, tassadar w, nova r. agree

cain is able to attack with his ulti while cloaked. meh, atleast makes him fun

Funny, there was a short time where you couldn't attack aeon from highground but this indirectly changed when Whale made it so you could right click neutrals to attack instead of having to a-click. A classic tale of a Whale change breaking an Ekco implementation.

Funny, there was a short time where you couldn't attack aeon from highground but this indirectly changed when Whale made it so you could right click neutrals to attack instead of having to a-click. A classic tale of a Whale change breaking an Ekco implementation.

Before the change(of ekco)

-You could target aeon from highground and attack it

After the change

-You can't target aeon from highground but you can attack it after aggro'ing from lowground or after your teammate aggro it.

i dont think whale changed anything about it

Edited by OPReN

• 2 weeks later...

This is wrong lol. All you had to do was aggro the thor on the high ground or aggro Aeon fro the low ground then walk up the ramp.

• 3 months later...

I am curious since lb was basically used for two abilities. Rory molo and garamond lb e w e r q combo. LB was sometiems abused by boros to bola or drake to make a pluck.

So I am curious as to why was it made more expensive to get? What's so op about lb that the price had to be almost doubled? I didn't see it being used often, actually it was barely used at all.

I am curious since lb was basically used for two abilities. Rory molo and garamond lb e w e r q combo. LB was sometiems abused by boros to bola or drake to make a pluck.

So I am curious as to why was it made more expensive to get? What's so op about lb that the price had to be almost doubled? I didn't see it being used often, actually it was barely used at all.

I think part of it was making Whales three travel items contamination Shard, Phantom Menace and then lock box for the intelligence counterpart. I also think there were complaints about the item that is was too cheap and being abused by non intelligence heroes for landing skill shots too early in the game. Obviously now the item is quite underused.

I'm not sure I think the item is bad, I think people use it in fewer builds now that it is 4k, along with that, it feels like it puts your build too far behind for any non int hero and even for int heroes if you're not getting argus/gravity second item then you feel significant losses in your damage output. If it had strength stats I might consider picking it up on a tank/support but there are typically better items for those heroes.

Edited by Jaysi