doesn't google have a caching system that basically stores every web page anyway....

cant we just use that to retrieve anything we missed later?

or maybe just http://www.howtogeek...ntire-web-site/

Google just takes a screenshot of the website; you cant upload anything to it.

That only downloads the client website, not all the databases which are stored on a different server.

I already successfully transferred all the members; Now only to transfer the posts/topics which is a bit harder to do.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why the move?   That new design looks like shap

We will be moving to a new forum provider in a little over a month's time.   In this time, please transfer over what threads you would like preserved into their corresponding categories (Database /

I totally didnt flob up the homepage background... And totally didn't accidentally delete it, thinking it was the new forum.. O.O   We're almost finished - stay hold.

Update - 04/05/2015

I have successfully transferred all the members onto the new platform. I could not transfer the topics/posts, but I will continue to attempt at it using different methods.

Look forward to more updates in the coming days.

Update 05/05/2015 16:18 GMT

Dear AoS community,

I have successfully transferred all the most important databases from this forum to the new one. Data from this morning (11-12 AM GMT) has been successfully transferred. This means that the data that was not posted before the transfer date/time, (including this post) has been deleted and will need to be re-written. Although I took every measure to transfer everything, the bastards at phpmyadmin might have screwed something up again, and some data might be lost, such as signatures, reputation, images, etc. As of the date posted, I have succesfully transfered all the members, forums, topics and posts on this forum. This means that you will not have to create a new account or transfer any threads/topics or posts.

All member groups/badges are still in queue to be transferred. If the transfer of those unimportant files is a failure, you'll/we just have to make-do and reupload them.

The new forum is still undergoing some standard maintenance, and I will try to make it as pretty as possible and get as many data as I can. I have not yet messaged EKCO about posting the link, so standby for a couple of days.

The new forum means everyone will also be unbanned; Consider this a second chance.

Thanks for staying with us through this.

Regards,

Darkr&Staff

Dear AoS community,

I have successfully transferred all the most important databases from this forum to the new one. Data from this morning (11-12 AM GMT) has been successfully transferred. This means that the data that was not posted before the transfer date/time, (including this post) has been deleted and will need to be re-written. Although I took every measure to transfer everything, the bastards at phpmyadmin might have screwed something up again, and some data might be lost, such as signatures, reputation, images, etc. As of the date posted, I have succesfully transfered all the members, forums, topics and posts on this forum. This means that you will not have to create a new account or transfer any threads/topics or posts.

All member groups/badges are still in queue to be transferred. If the transfer of those unimportant files is a failure, you'll/we just have to make-do and reupload them.

The new forum is still undergoing some standard maintenance, and I will try to make it as pretty as possible and get as many data as I can. I have not yet messaged EKCO about posting the link, so standby for a couple of days.

The new forum means everyone will also be unbanned; Consider this a second chance.

Thanks for staying with us through this.

Regards,

Darkr&Staff

When you become a mod you are dead to me. (RIP Yaldi).

When you become a mod you are dead to me. (RIP Yaldi).

Dw bro, I'll be as cool as the ocean (in africa with african)

I wont be a nazi

I'll be a putin

And I'm not becoming a mod lol

Edited by Darkr

Update - 04/05/2015

I have successfully transferred all the members onto the new platform. I could not transfer the topics/posts, but I will continue to attempt at it using different methods.

Look forward to more updates in the coming days.

Now, who gave you permission to transfer me over..

Dear AoS community,

This means that the data that was not posted before the transfer date/time, (including this post) has been deleted and will need to be re-written.

you should lock said threads that have been transferred and leave the last message with a link to new said thread on that forum

Nop I think he made another one

This. He's basically "building" out our current forum at a different hosting location.

If I've understood everything correctly, the initial plan was to just change the A record for aeonofstorms.com in GoDaddy to point to a new location (the free forum ekco posted earlier).

Now, instead of that, Darkr is downloading the client used to host this forum, hosting it elsewhere and transferring almost all of our existing data to it. Aeonofstorms.ga is not registered, so I'm not sure what the exact details are. I do know that our current domain expires in two months, so whatever decision is made, it must be done relatively soon (unless we just renew and go back to business as usual).

I assume that wherever it ends up, we can renew our existing domain and just redirect traffic to aeonofstorms.com.

Edited by martY

This. He's basically "building" out our current forum at a different hosting location.

If I've understood everything correctly, the initial plan was to just change the A record for aeonofstorms.com in GoDaddy to point to a new location (the free forum ekco posted earlier).

Now, instead of that, Darkr is downloading the client used to host this forum, hosting it elsewhere and transferring almost all of our existing data to it. Aeonofstorms.ga is not registered, so I'm not sure what the exact details are. I do know that our current domain expires in two months, so whatever decision is made, it must be done relatively soon (unless we just renew and go back to business as usual).

I assume that wherever it ends up, we can renew our existing domain and just redirect traffic to aeonofstorms.com.

Mosty correct.

Lemme correct you on some things: Not client, database. It's a totally different thing.

It must be done soon because I won't be reuploading it again, so all posts after yesterday morning will be gone.

So speed up the Pms ekco....

And don't mute yourself on mumble.

So what will we be using, darkr's suggestion or original idea?

Btw darkr let us link for that forum

When ekco replies to my PM

you should lock said threads that have been transferred and leave the last message with a link to new said thread on that forum

Once again, I'm waiting on Mr. RNG.

I have to ask, and forgive me if it's a bad question, but is there any kind of legal issue with using a database we were once paying for? Or were we strictly paying for hosting and we're free to do whatever we please with the database itself? I'm just going to assume the latter.

Haha that's precisely what I meant. Well if it turns out that's ultimately a barrier ekco doesn't want to cross, I'd gladly shell out some extra money to keep the forums in their current state for another year at least.

Haha that's precisely what I meant. Well if it turns out that's ultimately a barrier ekco doesn't want to cross, I'd gladly shell out some extra money to keep the forums in their current state for another year at least.

A few months back, Well I guess it would of been last decemberish. Eco said he has roughly $1K sitting in the pay pal from donations and the such.

Unless Eco took that cash for something else I dont think money is a real issue.

Eco is also doing some kind of joint venture with Brax like a start up or a programing company, I kind of was thinking this move was something to do with that. But who knows.

You're a good man, bro but I think EKCO will be fine.

Damn I hope he's not dead since he didnt reply get >.<

The transition is about upkeep and peace of mind, not to mention that for it's service, IPB is relatively expensive. It doesn't matter how much we have in the account if it doesn't grow faster than it's being spent.

Ultimately, the traffic shouldn't change because we're keeping the domain, the accounts, and everything else. The end user should not see a difference. As far as we're concerned, this is a back-end change that saves us costs in the long run.

The donation money is still in the account, and it only gets used for aos-related things. Bear in mind that between the server and the forum, it ate something like 50$ a month. With recent changes, we've reduced that cost by 80%.

Oh wow, I honestly had no idea IPB was $30/month. That's ludicrous for forums, my god.

I think I remember paying $5 a month for forums when I ran my WoW guild ha. Hell, even $25 CS server packages gave you a free 10-slot Vent server and free hosting.

Anyway, sounds like everything is under control. Cheers, gents.

Oh wow, I honestly had no idea IPB was $30/month. That's ludicrous for forums, my god.

I think I remember paying $5 a month for forums when I ran my WoW guild ha. Hell, even $25 CS server packages gave you a free 10-slot Vent server and free hosting.

Anyway, sounds like everything is under control. Cheers, gents.

Yeah, the transfer will take a bit longer than excpected, since the database is kinda flobed up. Can't import anymore data in without updating other data, or it'll throw me a 'line 40152 is non existent; prefix error.'. Ugh I hate live-transfering databases...

I guess I'll just have to download the entire db (250mb to go woop-woop) and upload it bit by bit. That way new posts won't flob up the signatures or post cache.

It's going pretty alright atm.