Cooldowns for ultimates

Spooky

Don't u think they are way too short? All powerful ultimates has cooldowns around 1 minute or less. With a lot of cooldown reduction items, speed up'ed time, most of them u can use every 30 seconds or so. That leaves very small window of opportunity to engage when enemies ulility is wasted. Basically it almost never happens in AoS, because its very hard to not have ultimate ready in teamfight. There are many heroes with strong ultimates able to change outcome of teamfight: Vergil, Cow, Pyro, Greelus, Rory, Boros, and so on. And all of them has pretty low cooldowns, which basically allow them to spam them every teamfight. I wish to see much longer cooldowns to promote using those in right moment, not brainless in every teamfight.

Edited by Spooky

Why does it seem like powerful ultis actually tend to have basically the Same cd as weak ultis, 80 second base cd in Vergil ulti compared to I believe 75? on yig ulti, which even with the buff seems like a weak dot version of drakes ulti with a shorter knock up

The AoE for Yig's is almost double that for Drake's I think. Drake's cast can be interrupted too.

Why does it seem like powerful ultis actually tend to have basically the Same cd as weak ultis, 80 second base cd in Vergil ulti compared to I believe 75? on yig ulti, which even with the buff seems like a weak dot version of drakes ulti with a shorter knock up

Who's ulti is weak?

Try to stick to topic pls :) Its not a place for another balance debate. I don't want to discuss specific ultimate in terms of OP or UP. Just want to discuss part of game mechanics - cooldowns/cooldowns reduction, and how they affect gameplay. In my opinion low cooldowns on strong abilities, on abilities specific heroes are picked for, makes game less skillful, promotes brainless spamming. Actually it affect gameplay in many other different ways:

- For example u are winning and trying to push T3. Enemies has their ultimates rdy. Lets say u want force them to use their stuff and sacrifice 1-2 heroes, to be able push again once they will respawn. U can't. Before it happened they will get their ultimates back. So the only option is to wait for their mistakes, like overexposing, etc. Usually long, boring part of the game.

- In other hand it doesn't give u chance to create good conditions for teamfight when u are loosing. Lets say your team just lost teamfight. U didn't used any of strong ultimates, because enemy team had strong initiation and so on. Once u respawned they are able to do exactly the same. Not used ultimates doesn't give u any advantage during next teamfight.

I remember long time ago captains always were always asking before any engagements if their team crucial abilities are rdy to play. Right now there is no need to ask, because they always are...

So if someone has sth to say about current cooldowns, pls do. But try to keep discussion away from specific hero balance.

Yea, have you guys seen that Avenger ultimate? He has like 6 stacks of it on a 10 second cooldown! that's not an ultimate, that's a Virgil Q on steriods (twice the stacks!), and that's twice the casts of Rancor ultimate, how is that fair?

Don't even get me started on Immortal ultimate, 0.5s CD? Woowwwwww, award for best designed hero? I think so

No, but I agree with OP, there are a lot of very strong team ultimates on quite short cooldowns. Also, way too many items with CD reduction, like hero derp, unique that shap. Instead of being like, idk what stat to give this item, 15 CD? Okay. Make just a few items for each role that give significant CD, for example, symphonic is great for burst int heroes if you can secure the kill, but now there are tons of items that give CD...

David Chans SS had pyre, CoA, Yamato, Lions, Everthirst, and BHM and everyone had 15% CD reduction, he could infinite cast his Q in flight mode. Not that it was absurdly strong, but it was just silly, make a few niche items that casters would benefit from for tanks, AAs, and int.

Edited by Jaysi

I think that the best way to solve this problem would be to confine CDR to few items that don't give much damage but give other useful stats, like in lol (Athens mana regen, morello heal counter) and make it so almost no aa items have CDR forcing aa's to buy items that provide little benefit if they want to reduce their cooldowns instead of just oh I bought 6 items with CDR because I wanted the other things they had so oh well

I think that the best way to solve this problem would be to confine CDR to few items that don't give much damage but give other useful stats, like in lol (Athens mana regen, morello heal counter) and make it so almost no aa items have CDR forcing aa's to buy items that provide little benefit if they want to reduce their cooldowns instead of just oh I bought 6 items with CDR because I wanted the other things they had so oh well

Exactly.

Actually immort ulti isn't very good at all it's shorter ranged then his aa has random targeting and deals less damage then most heroes aa's because it scales with int and immortal is strength with bad int gain

That first part was entire sarcasm, I apologize for not italicizing it.