Mechanics

MrGrim

What are the mechanics of aos exactly? I've read that player a is good because he has good mechanics where player b is still good despite not having good mechanics and specific clans look for it in new members. What exactly entails does that entail? Last hitting, csing and lane control?

Edited by MrGrim

What are the mechanics of aos exactly? I've read that player a is good because he has good mechanics where player b is still good despite not having good mechanics and specific clans look for it in new members. What exactly entails does that entail? Last hitting, csing and lane control?

Mechanics are the physical skills needed to play a game, just like in a physical sport. The difference is that the limiting physical characteristic here is hand eye coordination and the accuracy+precision of you hands hitting the keyboard and mouse. In every situation there is a maximally effective set or course of actions that will enable you to achieve some goal, while accounting for other effecters (like other heroes in the game). Here's one example.... Your a dual lane againsta a dual lane. You overextend pretty drastically and get caught in a bad situation. The correct choice is almost always to kite the enemy with skills/AA on the retreat, especially if you're the hero not getting targeted. The exactness with which you kite is one example of "mechanics." Do you use the whole cooldown to run, or do you stop to early or too late every once in awhile?

I like the post but it's a little bit abstract I was looking for something specific.

Mechanics are the physical skills needed to play a game, just like in a physical sport. The difference is that the limiting physical characteristic here is hand eye coordination and the accuracy+precision of you hands hitting the keyboard and mouse. In every situation there is a maximally effective set or course of actions that will enable you to achieve some goal, while accounting for other effecters (like other heroes in the game). Here's one example.... Your a dual lane againsta a dual lane. You overextend pretty drastically and get caught in a bad situation. The correct choice is almost always to kite the enemy with skills/AA on the retreat, especially if you're the hero not getting targeted. The exactness with which you kite is one example of "mechanics." Do you use the whole cooldown to run, or do you stop to early or too late every once in awhile?

Yeah I understand the concept of mechanics but if you look at sc2 for example there are definitive things you can work on to go from gold-plat-diamond, things like hotkey usage, camera keys, pylon/overlord spread, being aware of timings to know if youre ahead or behind. I wanted to know if there are the same tangible things to work on from game to game to improve.

I like the post but it's a little bit abstract I was looking for something specific.

Yeah I understand the concept of mechanics but if you look at sc2 for example there are definitive things you can work on to go from gold-plat-diamond, things like hotkey usage, camera keys, pylon/overlord spread, being aware of timings to know if youre ahead or behind. I wanted to know if there are the same tangible things to work on from game to game to improve.

If your micro needs work there are plenty of micro training mini games in the arcade. As far as AoS specifically, the only way to improve is to play. Another way I improved alot is practicing micro/mechanics during lane phase in pubs. The only thing that will help your mechanics is repetition, so if you're in a pub, might as well deny/last hit as well as you can. Another thing that I found to help is playing every hero. Part of good reaction timing is being intimately familiar with every heroes abilities, range, and especially cooldowns. Best way to do that is play them all regularly. You could also try focusing on micro intensive heroes like tosh, jakk, rory, zera, cow, etc. ,

I would ladder to platinum-diamond level. If you notice all the good players in AoS are Platinum+. Ladder teaches you map awareness (using the mini map), improves hero micro and item/spell usage.

I would ladder to platinum-diamond level. If you notice all the good players in AoS are Platinum+. Ladder teaches you map awareness (using the mini map), improves hero micro and item/spell usage.

I was plat playing against diamonds when I did ladder but I haven't done it in a long time. I'll pick up playing ladder again.

I was plat playing against diamonds when I did ladder but I haven't done it in a long time. I'll pick up playing ladder again.

The most important thing in aos is to know when skydie is messing with you and when he isn't. There is about a 45% chance he isn't to a 65% chance he is. These numbers dont add up that is because skydie always gives 110% when it comes to helping this community!

The most important thing in aos is to know when skydie is messing with you and when he isn't. There is about a 45% chance he isn't to a 65% chance he is. These numbers dont add up that is because skydie always gives 110% when it comes to helping this community!

Edit: I reread that and in my defense it didnt sound nearly as gay in my head as when I wrote it...

Edited by MrGrim

If your micro needs work there are plenty of micro training mini games in the arcade. As far as AoS specifically, the only way to improve is to play. Another way I improved alot is practicing micro/mechanics during lane phase in pubs. The only thing that will help your mechanics is repetition, so if you're in a pub, might as well deny/last hit as well as you can. Another thing that I found to help is playing every hero. Part of good reaction timing is being intimately familiar with every heroes abilities, range, and especially cooldowns. Best way to do that is play them all regularly. You could also try focusing on micro intensive heroes like tosh, jakk, rory, zera, cow, etc. ,

Actually an even better way is melee 1v1

Edit: didn't read full thread, til after, just noticed someone mentioned melee.

Edited by NeVeRWiN