People's thoughts on adding replays to strategy guides?

NeVeRWiN

So it came to my mind that I think a good idea would be to add replays, to strategy guides. I'm just curious if people are and would be willing to do this at all? There are some hero's who require a bit of finess and seeing how the hero is used and how people used their talents, item builds and suggestions for the hero would possibly be a great asset to a already good section about how to use and build a hero. I've noticed that some guide's are just basic item builds, talent trees and beginner basics. But what about the hero's who have a higher learning curve? I would think adding a replay to a guide would help visualize for people and get the gist of how to use a hero and adapt those particular things and learn from them. Any thoughts on this?

I planned on doing this but the problem is pub quality. I can spend playing 3 hours on games in 1 day were there are:

A: feeders

B: leavers

C: both

D: premade

Which makes it impossible to make a quality guide as either i get fed and item timing is off by a lot, or they just kill the noobs making them fed and making the build seem incredible weak.

And making guides from IH replay doesn't feel right as its higher lvl involving alot more mechanics like dening/warding so you can't focus on the basics of the hero to explain the mechanics propperly.

I've never really liked sitting through a long replay. Maybe if you cut to the important fights and scenes? Or, at least, fast-forward through the tedium and then slow it down to normal for a few examples of critical bits to highlight positioning, initiation, when to chase and when not to over-commit, etc.

I planned on doing this but the problem is pub quality. I can spend playing 3 hours on games in 1 day were there are:

Which makes it impossible to make a quality guide as either i get fed and item timing is off by a lot, or they just kill the noobs making them fed and making the build seem incredible weak.

And making guides from IH replay doesn't feel right as its higher lvl involving alot more mechanics like dening/warding so you can't focus on the basics of the hero to explain the mechanics propperly.

Here's my thoughts on that. Even with a losing replay in the manner you mention, it's still worth while to provide, maybe more so than a fed replay. If you get fed, your still using time, basic strategy, initiation techniques, ganking strategy for that hero, so on, and so on. So I disagree and think any type if replay is viable, even a losing one. If you lose, but are able to get some core items, and maybe a situational, with your talents, you are still providing a visual basic of what to do, and if you wanted could even point out, what not to do with said hero. Also lets say you copntributed to feeding, you can point out where you went wrong, that contributed to your feeding, or even if they were hero's that countered your char, another key point worth noting as well. The same is for the flip side of that coin, say you countered their hero's, or why they fed you. It's all relevant in my opinion and is part of a learning formula and the mentality that it's useless information, I must disagree with.

To address the other points from people about time, or not knowing how. For time, if you already wrote the guide, you could simply just play a quick pub with said hero and post it up, figuring it's reasonably within what your guide was, then I think it's worth it to see. It's just one game, and I think that's not that bad, but maybe I'm over simplifying it. Anywho, Moo made a point that he's not good enough, or so he thinks. But this is where I think the genius lies. First off Moo, I think you are, secondly even if it's not the best, people like you have the basics down, the concept of hero, if not the full dynamic, and with that you can post it, win or lose, people can still gain from your knowledge, and even add to your knowledge if they happen to disagree with your strategy and how you used the hero. I'm seeing a lot of potential here, and wish I were better as a player as I would be posting many guides with replays to do this. However I will post a single guide in the next week, to try it out, and see what the feed back is. Maybe I can get others to do this with their next guide they post. 

MidKnight had another key point about watching a replay. I don't mind watching a whole replay, as I'll fast forward the first 5-10 mins of the match and go from there. But to simply it, providing the replay, and maybe noting some key times to pay attention may not be a bad idea so people can fast forward to these areas. And making it simpler without fancy tech, just uploading a replay was my original idea to this entire topic. I was just trying to gauge some interest on the idea, and hopefully compel people the next time they post a guide, to throw a replay with it.

You learn far more from analyzing a loss than analyzing a win. If you won, you did enough correct to pull the victory. But if you lose, you did too many things wrong. Back when I first started playing, I'd load up replays from matches that I won and view it from the opposing team's point of view too see it from their perspective. Likewise, if I won, I'd watch from the opposing team's perspective to see exactly what they did wrong.

You learn far more from analyzing a loss than analyzing a win. If you won, you did enough correct to pull the victory. But if you lose, you did too many things wrong. Back when I first started playing, I'd load up replays from matches that I won and view it from the opposing team's point of view too see it from their perspective. Likewise, if I won, I'd watch from the opposing team's perspective to see exactly what they did wrong.

I think I prefer close games.

You don't have to have a good game, to make a good video guide. While a good replay is nice, I believe guide readers are more interested in uses of abilities, how to fulfill the heroes role(or multiple roles), and how to come out on top. A 5-10 minute video is more visually pleasing and often quicker and easier to understand then a wall of text. I know the OP is more geared towards a simple replay in addition to a guide, but I am more in favor of a complete video guide, perhaps in addition to the written one. You can check out the hero spotlights that whale made, some versions ago to get a more complete idea about what I'm talking about:

and
Edited by Adamantium

I've never really liked sitting through a long replay. Maybe if you cut to the important fights and scenes? Or, at least, fast-forward through the tedium and then slow it down to normal for a few examples of critical bits to highlight positioning, initiation, when to chase and when not to over-commit, etc.

That's you, but I prefer let new players see how they could improve their laning phase during early games and decision to help their team or farm

That's you, but I prefer let new players see how they could improve their laning phase during early games and decision to help their team or farm

Key point right there Lios, good call on that.

Either way I'm gonna do one and hope people catch on. There are some hero's that are killing me, and id love to see techniques in game. Because basic strategy helps, but seeing how they're used helps also to go with a guide. So I hope others will throw some out, after I out one up and check out the response.

Edited by NeVeRWiN