Swarm Host Hero Concept [Ranged STR Initiator/Disabler]

MOTHER

Passive - Locusts

Swarm Host spawns swarms of locusts as its means of attack. Locusts have an attack range of 2 and deal 35% of Swarm Host's weapon damage. Locusts have 75+10*LVL health and last 10 seconds. Swarm Host's attack rate benefits from both time scale (affects the rate the locusts are produced) and weapon speed (affects the attack speed of the locusts themselves). Swarm Host can attack with its locusts while on the surface, rooted, or burrowed.

Q - Larval Ejections (or Locust Spores)

TOGGLED: Swarm Host uses pressurized glands to continuously eject clouds of locust spores in a 1.5-unit radius around itself. The parasitic larva, in their search for a new host, penetrate enemy units and gestate inside them, dealing 30/40/50/60 + (1/2/3/4% of Maximum Health) spell damage for each second they remain in the cloud and for 1 second after they leave the spore clouds' area of effect. Enemy units killed by the spore clouds spawn 1/2/3/4 locusts in their place that last 15 seconds.

With the exception of their duration, Locusts spawned from Larval Ejections are identical to Locusts spawned from Swarm Host's heroic passive and will attack whatever Swarm Host chooses to attack automatically.

Swarm Host can use this skill to suicide. CD = N/A (Toggle). Energy Cost = 1/2/3/4% of Max Health per second as spell damage. Cast Range = Self.

W - Tremors (or Burrow)

TOGGLED: After a 0.25 second delay, Swarm Host burrows underground and passively starts sending disturbances into the earth. Swarm Host's tremors randomly stun one enemy unit on the surface for 0.18/0.25/0.32/0.39 seconds every 1.7/1.4/1.1/0.8 seconds and deals 20/40/60/80 + (40% INT) spell damage every time they are stunned. Tremors' area of effect is 6-unit radius. The less enemies are present in the area of effect, the less random the stuns (Example: If there is one enemy in the AoE, they will receive 100% of the stuns).

Swarm Host immediately unburrows if energy goes below 10%. Swarm Host is naturally undetectable while burrowed without scanners/true sight.

Swarm Host can attack with its locusts (heroic passive) while borrowed but cannot move. Swarm Host cannot use any of its other skills while burrowed with the exception of R. CD = N/A (Toggle). Energy Cost = 10/20/30/40 Energy per second. Cast Range = Self.

E - Animated Carapace (or Root)

TOGGLED: After a 0.25 second delay, Swarm Host roots into the ground and boosts its animated, living carapace's strength and biological functions. While rooted, Swarm Host gains +3 attack range (8), +2/4/6/8% Time Scale, 25/35/45/55 STR and the Area of Effect of Larval Ejections (Q) is doubled (3-unit radius). All bonuses immediately stop when Swarm Host uproots. Swarm Host immediately uproots if energy goes below 10%.

Swarm Host can attack with its locusts (heroic passive) while rooted but cannot move. Swarm Host is detectable while rooted. Swarm Host can use all its skills while rooted with the exception of W. CD = N/A (Toggle). Energy Cost = 45/35/25/15 Energy per second. Cast Range = Self.

R - Deep Tunnel

ACTIVE: After a 1.25 second channeling delay, Swarm Host tunnels underground, traveling great distances and then shatters through the Earth at a destination. Upon resurfacing at the new location, Swarm Host sends all enemies flying into the air for 0.5 seconds and then stunning them as they hit the ground for 3/4/5 seconds in a 4.5-unit radius. Swarm Host can travel to areas where it does not have vision. If Swarm Host is attacked or stunned during channeling duration, Deep Tunnel is cancelled.

Swarm Host can also use Deep Tunnel while either burrowed or rooted. However, upon reemerging at the new location, Swarm Host will neither be burrowed or rooted. CD = 120/100/80. Energy Cost = 225. Cast Range = 30/60/120.

Explanation

Swarm Host is designed to be a ranged (attack range = 5) STR initiator and disabler with a threatening arsenal of skills honed for the gank.

Larval Ejections is Swarm Host's primary means of damage and is an excellent offensive/defensive skill. Use Q to clear creep waves or during team fights or after stunning with R. Its downside is the heavy cost of health it inflicts on Swarm Host. The locusts produced from this skill temporarily boost Swarm Host's "auto-attack" which aids in battle and even pushing.

Tremors is an AoE passive stun that can be absolutely devastating on the enemy team if they were careless enough to not bring detection. The ability is useful for stopping fleeing enemies or during the chaos of a team fight, where Swarm Host can still attack while burrowed. Tremors can also be used as an escape and farming tool to a limited extent.

Animated Carapace turns Swarm Host into a bunker and synergizes with all Swarm Host's skills. While rooted, Swarm Host gains timescale which benefits everything from regeneration to the rate the locusts are produced The bonus STR works well with Larval Ejections as it maximizes the damage by boosting his health pool. Swarm Host also gains attack range, allowing him to harass and siege from a distance. Root can also be used to block the pathway of enemies.

Deep Tunnel is Swarm Host's ultimate and a powerful initiation/disabling skill with many applications including escape tool and surprise ganks from across the map. Use R followed by E and Q, to potentially inflict massive AoE damage or use it with W for extended stunning.

Swarm Host's main weakness is his lack of direct damage dealing spells and his energy hungry toggled abilities, this makes Swarm Host heavily dependent on his team for securing the kill. Swarm Host is also very slow and without R, does not have a proper escape mechanism - this leaves him particularly vulnerable after an initiation.

Notes

Swarm Host's heroic passive is inspired by Garamond's and Slivan (from the HotS campaign). Seeing as the Swarm Host model does not have a proper attack animation, the heroic passive which works both while rooted, burrowed and uprooted seemed like the way to go.

There are a variety of Swarm Host models to pick from, I'm personally inclined towards to the Creeper Swarm Host strain for its devilish appearance. (see attachment)

post-2498-0-11955600-1382398922_thumb.jpg

Looks very cool and unique. How fast do your locusts move? Also, you might need a sustain mechanic to help with the q. Could make you gain hp whenever locusts are spawned by the q? How will duran's machette, lifesteal, and other on-hits work with his aa?

We both know that the numbers Quidditch can always be adjusted. I've always found it wiser and easier to design a hero slightly OP at first and work your way down to the middle. The concept (which is more than the sum of its parts) and harmony is more important right now, so it's not fair to 'kinda stop reading' - you either do or you don't. Otherwise why post hero suggestions if we could not have proper discussions about them, this isn't a final draft after all. :)

Moo, I'm guessing the heroic passive will proc item effects the same way Garamond's does (which means shadowmourne is good on this hero hehe) and the locusts wouldn't move very fast, so again let's say they move as fast as Garamond's SCVs for now. Also E to some extent offers sustenance for Q in an indirect way with the timescale and additional STR (which improves HP regen) since Swarm Host can use Q while using E (rooted) but now while using W (burrowed).

We could substitute the timescale with actual health regeneration (which would synergize more with Q), since I'm not sure I want people to abuse the timescale to reduce the CD of R. The only reason I added the timescale is for some synergy with his heroic passive.

We both know that the numbers Quidditch can always be adjusted. I've always found it wiser and easier to design a hero slightly OP at first and work your way down to the middle. The concept (which is more than the sum of its parts) and harmony is more important right now, so it's not fair to 'kinda stop reading' - you either do or you don't. Otherwise why post hero suggestions if we could not have proper discussions about them, this isn't a final draft after all. :)

Moo, I'm guessing the heroic passive will proc item effects the same way Garamond's does (which means shadowmourne is good on this hero hehe) and the locusts wouldn't move very fast, so again let's say they move as fast as Garamond's SCVs for now. Also E to some extent offers sustenance for Q in an indirect way with the timescale and additional STR (which improves HP regen) since Swarm Host can use Q while using E (rooted) but now while using W (burrowed).

We could substitute the timescale with actual health regeneration (which would synergize more with Q), since I'm not sure I want people to abuse the timescale to reduce the CD of R. The only reason I added the timescale is for some synergy with his heroic passive.

I think that you should, as you said, add a large hp regen buff to e, but take away the timescale. You could add a cooler mechanic to your passive, like spawning more locusts based on the amount of targets you have hit with your abilities in the past ~10 seconds, instead of making his attack speed mechanics like garamond's. So as to on-hits, you are making it so that the effect procs when the hero spawns his locusts while targeting someone?

So I made a few changes.

Heroic - Locusts attack rate scales now with both timescale AND weapon speed. Timescale and timescale items affect the rate that Swarm Host produces locusts while +weapon speed affects the attack speed of the locusts themselves.

Q - Reduced the AoE radius to 1.5 from 2.

E - Added an attack range bonus of 3 (total 8 while rooted, compared to 5 while uprooted) allowing Swarm Host to harass, initiate and siege from a distance. I also nerfed the STR bonus (25/35/45/55 from 20/40/60/80) and removed the physical resistance completely. However I kept the timescale for now, I'm hesitant to add % of Max HP regeneration because of items like organic which would stack and nullify the cost of Q. Also if you use Q while rooted, the AoE is doubled to 3-unit radius, this allows for better synergy between Q and E after a successful R.

R - Increased the channeling delay (1.25 from 1) and reduced the AoE to 4.5-unit radius at all levels.

Swarm Host, like Garamond, will probably proc item effects before the actual locusts hit (while targeting someone). If item effects proc on the actual locust's attack, it may get really messy considering the potential number of locusts that can be on screen at once.

I'm actually not sure how to address his energy costs but I recognize what you're talking about. I mean the energy cost of E goes down with every level and considering what you get in return, I think it may be fine.

W is very expensive but only because W can be very powerful if you catch a lone enemy hero or even just two enemy heroes in its AoE. The skill isn't meant to be used during laning or for farming really (unless to escape and press D).

Basically You should be able to stay rooted (E) for long periods of time but not necessarily stay burrowed (W) for long periods.

Q is the bread and butter skill, in terms of farming and jungling. I think it will useful through out a game in different ways but especially late game.

Perhaps switch W to percentage of max? Any suggestions are welcome.

I think that adding a sustain mechanic to his locusts could fix early game problems, while not being too powerful later on at the same time. Something like a 1 hp heal and energy restore each time a locust attacks an enemy would solve the problem and allow him to use q without running out of hp too quickly, and would allow for jungling.