Full Intelligence Raynor:1.143

taznkid

Questions guys. I started playing Raynor a lot (so that whenever I kill someone with Killing Shot I can say "HEADSHOT"), and I am wondering: should I go for Ihan Crystal second for that unique/health/sustainability or Lightning Rod first for better creeping? Also, what is a good starting item for Raynor? Is getting Flare Gun on Raynor worth it? While I'm asking, I might as put these up for review too:

Talents: Might

Fitness, Integrity, Zeal

Swiftness, Youth

Item Build: Flare Gun, Ihan Crystal, Lightning Rod, Gravity Edge, Nitrogen Retrofit, Sunflare Gun, Cerebro, Star's Fury, then maybe sell Ihan for Yamato Reactor (never actually got past the Cerebro part)

Talents:

Personally I wouldn't get Might on Raynor. It will only help you with last hitting creeps and he has enough weapon damage from his passive already so there are better talents to get for him.

Zeal got nerfed so I don't bother getting it much anymore, there are better talents for Raynor now.

The way I see it, there are two main talent builds that you can use for building a INT Raynor:

Build 1: Fitness, Integrity, Discipline, Swiftness, Brilliance/Youth, Wealth

Build 2: Fitness, Integrity, Discipline, Swiftness, Brilliance/Youth, Prodigy

They are very similar and the main difference between them is what opening item you want to buy.

Items:

There are two main opening items you can get on Raynor, based on which talent build you chose.

Opening 1: Lost Treasure. This is good for lane sustain, the regen allows you to harass your opponents (just mark them and AA a few times) repeatedly without running out of energy, and of course you don't need to return to the shop to heal as much.

Opening 2: Duran's Amulet/Pendant. This will give you some nice HP and energy leech. So make sure that you are hitting the creeps a lot so you don't run out of energy.

The build after that is going to be pretty much the same for both openings. If you are ahead then consider getting Miner's Goggles, it gives nice HP which is nice because Raynor is squishy, and it's a money item as well. Even with the Amulet opening you could by Lost Treasure and Miner's Goggles after the Amulet if you are ahead.

Ihan Crystal is decent but should come later on in the game, after you have at least one of your core items.

Core items: Gravity Edge, Nitrogen Retrofit, Yamato Reactor.

After your opening item(s) start building Gravity Edge, If you really need more HP then buy the HP component of Nitrogen Retrofit and complete the rest of that item later. After Gravity Edge you can buy the Ihan Crystal if you want. Yamator Reactor can come next if you want more damage and don't need the HP from Nitrogen Retrofit. Alternatively, you could simply buy the timescale component of the Yamato Reactor for now, it is great for refreshing the CD on your ultimate.

Other items to consider: Symphonic Seed, Cerebro, Star's Fury, Sunflare Gun.

Some support items that you may need: Khorhal Vanguard, Spell Buffer, Coat of Arms, Taser.

Note: In the mid game it's good to buy the INT potion, the CD is really useful. Also in the early game it's worth considering getting Impact Dial. This is a great item because it can help you to escape a lot, and Raynor doesn't have any build in escape skills. I used to play Raynor a lot in pubs and would always buy Impact Dial and I would go god-like with very little effort.

Also, starting with Flare Gun on Raynor is bad. You won't have any HP or damage resist and since Raynor has no escape skills or sneaky skills he cannot pull off a Flare Gun opening as easy as Ghost can. You won't easily snowball with it.

I definitely support rushing flare, it gives Raynor some extra burst early on with it's nice burst in the early game and once paired with his Q can be absolutely devastating against glass cannons. While usually a Raynor doesn't have much viability against someone like a shadow if they get in close, hitting them with both Q and sun-flare can potentially one-shot targets who don't build any defense, and at the very least do serious damage if they do. End game sunflare's around 1.2k damage, with Q that's almost 1.6k in burst making it awesome on him.

I definitely support rushing flare, it gives Raynor some extra burst early on with it's nice burst in the early game and once paired with his Q can be absolutely devastating against glass cannons. While usually a Raynor doesn't have much viability against someone like a shadow if they get in close, hitting them with both Q and sun-flare can potentially one-shot targets who don't build any defense, and at the very least do serious damage if they do. End game sunflare's around 1.2k damage, with Q that's almost 1.6k in burst making it awesome on him.

I don't think it should be rushed, raynor needs to get a bunch of int and a little survivability early. Raynor does not get close to his target during the combo either, so flare would only be good for bursting very early on, as you will die before your ult can go off midgame if you get in flare gun range.

I don't think it should be rushed, raynor needs to get a bunch of int and a little survivability early. Raynor does not get close to his target during the combo either, so flare would only be good for bursting very early on, as you will die before your ult can go off midgame if you get in flare gun range.

I do mean rushing flare only, and going other items before upgrading to sunflare.

An early flare-gun can easily be achieved before the second wave, and grants a far larger boast then any other items you can get that early on. While Raynor is certainly preferable at range in the mid game, in the early game the extra burst will easily pay for itself. Late-game it has versatility as well for defensive purposes. While you don't go out of your way to use it in the mid and late game, it gives Raynor some defense if an enemy does manage to get in close. Where otherwise he is relatively worthless, the extra short range burst can usually do enough damage to weaker carries to allow you to defeat them fairly quickly. It's comical how many shadow's I've one-shotted with Q and sunflare in the mid-game after I've gotten Gravities edge..

I disagree with flare on Raynor, even in a pub game. By mid game you're one of the squishiest characters out there if you go full INT. You would need at least 4 kills that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise to justify the cost of rushing it. I find it's viable until level 7-8. You get it around level 2-3 and it's a gamble whether you get kills with it or not to justify the cost because after level 10-11 you'll want to keep farther away the flare range with Raynor.

I do like 2-1-3 talent start and going treasure, Dial, Lightning Rod. With his range and a semi-escape with dial you can be semi-aa mid game. Dial is also a great item on Raynor because it allows you to position for silence shot and catch up to fleeing enemies to killshot them when they are marked but out of range. Dial also gives INT and armor, which are both nice.

If you're going straight INT, I don't actually mind starting treasure, then Ihan Crystal. Ihan gives great sustain, which is vital for an INT hero, especially a squishy one. The longer you stay out there the better chance you have of catching a squishy with low HP or get a bunch more assists. Symphonic seeds isn't a bad choice on Raynor either, as it's pretty cheap, gives INT/Health and the passive is great on him beacause all his cooldowns take full advantage of it.

I'd start with a powerstone >rod > ihan so you get some hp and energy as well as regen first so you can stay longer in your lane, then rod to do some more dmg and then ihan to get cheap int early... afterwards you can choose, but in most cases i get ( damn forgot the name) this item that builds into yamato.

Afterwards cerebro>fury> gravity>yamato sell ihan as soon as the 10 minutes passed and use the money for seeds, depending on enemie and your team heroes I'd get either Dst, emantle warpshard or some support items like chilling, etc

Thanks for the posts guys! So far from what I have seen to be majority opinion:

1. Do not get flare gun on Raynor

2. Potential starting items are: Duran's Pendant, Lost Treasure

3. Final Core Items Include: Yamato Reactor, Gravity Edge, Cerebro

4. Impact Dial is pretty good (I try not to use it because I'm a noob and I feel I will mess it up...oh well guess I'll have to learn)

Decisions in contention:

1. Get Ihan before Lightning Rod or not (it seems it is almost divided evenly half and half)

2. One dude wants me to rush Gravity Edge (will I survive?)

Build I am Leaning Towards Right Now:

Powerstone>Lightning Rod> Ihan Crystal>Quote: "but in most cases i get ( damn forgot the name) this item that builds into yamato", then finish items, with situational items as necessary

Something I have been wondering for a long time...do you still keep the Ihan Crystal stacks even if you die?

Thanks alot guys, and please keep posting!

Thanks for the posts guys! So far from what I have seen to be majority opinion:

1. Do not get flare gun on Raynor

2. Potential starting items are: Duran's Pendant, Lost Treasure

3. Final Core Items Include: Yamato Reactor, Gravity Edge, Cerebro

4. Impact Dial is pretty good (I try not to use it because I'm a noob and I feel I will mess it up...oh well guess I'll have to learn)

Decisions in contention:

1. Get Ihan before Lightning Rod or not (it seems it is almost divided evenly half and half)

2. One dude wants me to rush Gravity Edge (will I survive?)

Build I am Leaning Towards Right Now:

Powerstone>Lightning Rod> Ihan Crystal>Quote: "but in most cases i get ( damn forgot the name) this item that builds into yamato", then finish items, with situational items as necessary

Something I have been wondering for a long time...do you still keep the Ihan Crystal stacks even if you die?

Thanks alot guys, and please keep posting!

Lost Treasure, Miner's Goggles, Impact Dial, Gravity Edge.

That is a solid opening build for INT Raynor. You have plenty of survivability so you shouldn't die much at all. But you will be dealing a lot of damage.

Get Ihan Crystal after that. Don't rush Ihan, you won't gain much damage from it, and you won't gain much survivability either. A little bit of HP is nothing compared to HP and a dial.

Flare doesn't make any mid/lategame sense since raynor is such a high-range hero...

What's with you guys and zeal. I don't really see the way it was changed as a nerf... it's useful now for different reasons, but they're still very good reasons. Zeal will save you so often early game it's not even funny.

I have found that indeed it is better not to get flare gun, as it rarely gives enough kills to warrant getting it. I had a epiphany: Raynor is a team fight hero (yes I know, I am a genius). Therefore, I should not really expect to burst down people with spells, but land good silences and finish off weak enemies that ALMOST get away. A build I am currently favoring is Miner's Goggles (for health and money)>Lightning Rod>Power Stone>Gravity Edge>Ihan Crystal. The Miner's Goggles gives me just enough hp to not die instantly, making getting Lightning Rod next viable. The Powerstone ALSO provides just enough health to allow me to get Gravity Edge early without being too squishy. After Ihan Crystal, so far every pub game has rage quit by this point, either my own team or the enemy team. I'm thinking finishing Cerebro, then getting Yamato Reactor or Star's Fury if I am doing well, Nitrogen Retrofit if I need more health.