[HotS Hero Contest] Viper.Krell

MOTHER

VIPER.KRELL

nmla.jpg

Portrait: Viper

Unit Base: Viper

Type: Lane Control/Pusher

Alignment: Lawful Evil

Lore: Korhal was not enough for the insidious and cruel Viper Krell; a high sentient Zerg swarm lord with tyrannical tendencies that caught the attention of the Queen of Blades herself. Krell was indeed put to good use for the Swarm during the invasion, with his despotic nature and his own brand of highly evolved mutant army of Spoilers. No Dominion force could survive Krell on the battlefield, as he assimilated them one by one into his own brood. But Krell soon grew weary of the Queen of Blades and her puerile prophecies, believing that she held him and his brood back from fulfilling their own evolutionary potential. Krell abandoned the Zerg, to satiate his own appetite for destruction, to grow and evolve his own brood into something superior to its Zerg progenitors, and at the expense of all living things if necessary. No, Korhal was just the beginning... of the rise of the Krell Swarm.

Starting Stats:

Base Health 250

Movement Speed 2.9

Attack Range 6

Attack Speed1.8

Base Damage 26

Attack Name | Animation - Bile Spit

Base Armor 3

Strength – 31 (+5)

Agility – 22 (+3)

Intelligence – 36 (+7) [Primary Attribute]

The Defiler [Heroic Passive]

Viper's baneful presence reduces the physical and spell resistance of enemy units in a 10-unit radius by 5%.

Mutagen Sting [Q]

Viper injects a mutating agent into a target non-heroic/non-massive unit, instantly transforming them into Spoiler minions under its control.

Energy Cost: 125 (per charge)

Cooldown: 18/14/10/6

Range: 6

Level 1: Spoilers have 300 + (18*Lvl) health, 25 + (40% INT) weapon damage, 15% physical & spell resistance. Maximum 1 charge and 4 Spoilers.

Level 2: Spoilers have 425 + (18*Lvl) health, 30 + (40% INT) weapon damage, 25% physical & spell resistance. Maximum 2 charges and 4 Spoilers.

Level 3: Spoilers have 550+ (18*Lvl) health, 35 + (40% INT) weapon damage, 5% physical & spell resistance. Maximum 3 charges and 4 Spoilers.

Level 4: Spoilers have 675 + (18*Lvl) health, 40 + (40% INT) weapon damage, 45% physical & spell resistance. Maximum 4 charges and 4 Spoilers.

Explanation:

Viper can sting either enemy or allied non-heroic units, instantly causing them to begin morphing (invulnerable during morph, lasts 1.5 seconds) into Spoilers, killing them the process.

Spoilers also have 2.5 movement speed (when uprooted), 7 attack range (when rooted), and +2 health regeneration (+8 when rooted). Spoilers' passive ('Spoil') causes their attacks to reduce target's physical and spell resistance by 5% for 2 seconds. Stacks up to 8 times (9 with heroic passive). Spoilers must uproot to move and can only attack when rooted. Rooting/Uprooting have a 0.35 second channel time.

Visually, the injection part of the spell uses Viper's tongue animation from its SC2 melee pull. Targets then turn into eggs (broodmother cocoon model) and after duration emerge as Spoilers which have been designed with the Spine Crawler model in mind.

Possible Uses:

Pushing. Counter-pushing. Denying. Farming. Damage. Blocking pathways.

When Playing:

Spoilers are multi-purpose minions but most useful at lane control. Their passive Spoil can potentially severely amplify physical and spell damage.

When Playing Against:

Deny your creeps and wave clear enemy creeps as fast as possible. No creeps, no Spoilers. Any AoE damage helps get rid of Spoilers fast.

Siphon [W]

Viper consumes a target allied non-heroic unit's health over time, replenishing its own health and energy in the process.

Energy Cost: 10/15/20/25 (per second)

Cooldown: 24/20/16/12

Range: 7

Level 1: Viper leeches 10 + (25% INT) Health per second and recovers health equal to 50% of damage dealt and energy equal to 25% of damage dealt. Lasts 10 seconds.

Level 2: Viper leeches 20 + (25% INT) Health per second and recovers health equal to 100% of damage dealt and energy equal to 50% of damage dealt. Lasts 10 seconds.

Level 3: Viper leeches 30 + (25% INT) Health per second and recovers health equal to 150% of damage dealt and energy equal to 75% of damage dealt. Lasts 10 seconds.

Level 4: Viper leeches 40 + (25% INT) Health per second and recovers health equal to 200% of damage dealt and energy equal to 100% of damage dealt. Lasts 10 seconds.

Explanation: Siphon stops if channel is disrupted. Can target own units (Spoilers).

Visually, this skill uses Viper's 'Consume' animation from SC2 melee.

Possible Uses:

Lane sustain. Deny.

When Playing:

Use Siphon to keep Viper in battle as long as possible. Can be used to deny creeps.

When Playing Against:

Wave clear enemy creeps denies Viper his sustenance.

Blinding Cloud [E]

Viper spits out a green cloud that reduces the sight and attack range of all enemy units caught underneath to melee range.

Energy Cost: 125/150/175/200

Cooldown: 14

Range: 10

Level 1: Blinding cloud AoE = 2.5-unit radius. Lasts 3 seconds.

Level 2: Blinding cloud AoE = 3-unit radius. Lasts 4 seconds.

Level 3: Blinding cloud AoE = 3.5-unit radius. Lasts 5 seconds.

Level 4: Blinding cloud AoE = 4-unit radius. Lasts 6 seconds.

Explanation: The effects of the cloud remain as long as the targets are inside the cloud and desist as soon as targets leave AoE.

Visually, this skill utilizes Viper's 'Blinding Cloud' animation from SC2 melee.

Possible Uses:

Crowd Control. Pushing and Counter Pushing.

When Playing:

Blinding Clouds are especially useful in choke points or during team fights. Use them to also defend towers from ranged attackers.

When Playing Against:

Quickly move from under the clouds if caught under neath. Avoid them.

Abduct [R]

Viper fires its spear-like tongue at a target location, piercing the flesh of the first target it hits, damaging them and then quickly pulling them to its location.

Energy Cost: 150/225/300

Cooldown: 90/70/50

Range: 8/10/12

Level 1: 200 + (60% INT) Spell Damage

Level 2: 300 + (60% INT) Spell Damage

Level 3: 400 + (60% INT) Spell Damage

Explanation: Viper can abduct both friendly (but does not damage friendly units) and enemy units, both up and down cliffs. While the target is being pulled, it cannot attack or cast spells. 0.5 second delay before Viper fires its tongue.

Visually, the skill utilizes Viper's 'Abduct' animation from SC2 Melee.

Possible Uses:

Ganks. Pulling enemy heroes. Saving allied heroes. Burst damage.

When Playing:

Pull enemy heroes towards your Spoilers and watch them tear them apart. Using Abduct from above cliffs is even more advantageous. Use Abduct when sieging the enemy base at their T3 tower or when defending your own T3 tower.

When Playing Against:

Keep yourself unpredictably mobile since Abduct is a target location skill shot.

Edited by Jessika

Q is amazing, but you will have to make it not block patching, or it could be really cheesy and trollish (would be like a mini-version of zera ult+unix eggs) and it would make a person you ulti completely unable to get away, as you could just pull them into a circle of spoilers. W shouldn't be able to leech hp from enemy towers unless you have nearby minions( I'm not sure if if you should count spoilers as minions I'll let you decide that), E is OP, just take off the charges and make its cooldown slightly lower and it is fine though. Ulti is very good, but only synergizes with his q, perhaps you could find a way for more synergy (just an idea, but the skill feels weird in a kit with so much to kill towers, but maybe it is just me). Overall very fun hero design :).

One of the ideas was that Viper would pull enemies into his gang of spoilers for the kill. The other combo would be to use the Spoiler's passive (Spoil) to reduce a target's physical and spell resistance before using R, allowing you to maximize the damage from R.

You're right about pathing though, it must not be blocked when spoilers are rooted. I think this may have to do with altering the collision size of the models and is adjustable.

About leech, the target can still fight back, leeched targets aren't stunned so it would be a terrible idea to 1v1 a tower as a Viper, even late game you won't leech that fast.

You're completely right about E also.

As for the ult, I imagined a scenario when Viper is either attacking or defending the bottleneck at the base (t3 towers), all his skills are ideally suited for this situation of siege and anti-siege. He can use Q to kill enemy creep waves by morphing them into spoilers which would also attack/defend the base. He can siphon health off the enemy tower in the chaos. He can use the cloud to really flobs things up in the bottleneck at T3 and control the space there. Finally, his R can just pull enemy heroes outside the base for your team. That's basically the harmony between the skills I was going for.

Viper would be one of the best, if not the best hero you can have when the fight at the T3 towers begins. :)

I think you should add damage to e to allow for faster pushing. I like the hero design and see what synergy you were going for with ult now. So the last problem I see is that viper has low capability to kill a lot of minions fast unless he already has a large amount of spoilers created, and giving the cloud some damage would help with that. Other than that, your hero is looking fine to me. :)

That's why he has charges on his Q, he can instantly take out 4 creeps (good farming) and then the spoilers would do the rest. I think E is really strong right now, even with the nerf that I just did - adding the AoE DoT would be too much especially in team fights.

The skill is meant to control space, not kill - for example, if you are defending your t3 tower you would cast it at the foot of the ramp where ranged enemy units and casters are standing, crippling and separating them from their melee allies which are right next to your t3 tower.

I'm not a fan of having a hero be able to do everything, otherwise you won't need team mates. Imagine pairing Viper with Unix for example, they would be near unstoppable. :)

That's why he has charges on his Q, he can instantly take out 4 creeps (good farming) and then the spoilers would do the rest. I think E is really strong right now, even with the nerf that I just did - adding the AoE DoT would be too much especially in team fights.

The skill is meant to control space, not kill - for example, if you are defending your t3 tower you would cast it at the foot of the ramp where ranged enemy units and casters are standing, crippling and separating them from their melee allies which are right next to your t3 tower.

I'm not a fan of having a hero be able to do everything, otherwise you won't need team mates. Imagine pairing Viper with Unix for example, they would be near unstoppable. :)

Ah yes, I forgot your q has charges. You should put a link to this thread in the announcement thread about HotS hero contest :)

• 3 weeks later...