Egon worthless in latest set of patches

Muto

After seeing the recent Egon change I decided to have a go to see how this impacted his versatility as a healer, DPS, and support. After quite a few games, I began to realize that Egon isn't just under-powered now, he is sickeningly so to the point of being perhaps the most worthless hero in the game. He was worthless as any role. He can't outheal creep DPS and he can't out DPS basic regeneration. For further reasons why, lets just look at the recent patches in question.

Egon.Stetmann

Caustic Salve

- Changed Cooldown to 6 seconds from 7/6/5/4.

- Reduced duration to 6 seconds from 12.

- Reduced max stacks to 2 from 3.

While this trade seems good and even possibly a buff on paper, it actually makes him far worse at all jobs. Reducing the cool-down is a meaningless gesture, as Egon's heroic passive already made his Q have virtually no CD anyways.

While the ticking faster would theoretically mean more damage/healing, it actually results in quite the opposite effect. By having it last only 6 seconds it is difficult to keep 2 stacks up on a single person, and now it is impossible to manage several people at once. This means most of the time he is doing damage/healing equal to a mere 100[+60%INT] over six seconds, an absolutely pitiful amount. In the case of healing, he now heals 200[+120%INT] over 6 seconds if you can manage to keep 2 stacks up on a person (a difficult task I must add) and only to a single person at a time (you can't keep 2 stacks up on 2 people at once). What's not mentioned in the patches above is that when previously his Caustic Salve ticked at 4 stacks once below 35% health, it now ticks at only 2 if below 30%. This means that even against low health enemies and allies he only does as much damage/healing as he should be doing if you've been managing stacks correctly. It's almost an insult to the player to include a non-bonus like this as part of the spell as it doesn't make the spell any less worthless. Geneva, alternatively, can heal 250[+40%INT] INSTANTLY, plus an additional 60[+10%INT] health per second. There is NO reason anymore to choose Egon as opposed to Geneva. In some regards, Erekul is almost a better healer then Egon because he heals 125[+50%INT] instantly, and in an AoE.

For damage, the addition (now unnecessary) 25% damage penalty means he only does the equivalent of 150[+90%INT] damage over 6 seconds with 2 stacks of caustic salve, making it by far the most worthless, pitiful, and useless spell in the game for doing damage.

His ultimate boast that too 300[+180%INT], a still overall pitiful amount. Honestly, you might as well have just removed the ability of this spell to be cast on enemies if you are leaving it with this low damage output. Once again, Geneva beats Egon out for DPS as well as her optic flare deals 200[+50%INT] and Feedback armor 160[+50%INT].

His short, his Q is by far the worst spell in the game. However, that is far from the only hit Egon took recently.

Another recent change was nerfing his W by increasing it's cool-down by 50%. This change not only worsened egon's already embarrassing damage output, it also severely impaired his assist ability. Due to the reduction of stacks to 6, Egon has to be spamming his Q like never before to see pitiful amounts of healing. This also means that he using up more energy then ever before. While I still only occasionally run out of energy with Egon, I certainly cannot afford to use it to assist allies or silence enemies like I could previously. Additionally, the energy gain is once again pitiful and embarrassing when compared to other heroes spells. Solidus's hardly-any CD energy well is much better for replenishing manna and virtually every other offensive spell in the game does more then it's tiny 200[+50%INT].

With two spells down, Egon seems to only have 2 spells left that could even be worth considering using. The first, Disinfecting Ward, is the only almost redeeming quality to Egon. 4% of a targets maximum health can be quite useful if you have a high HP powerhouse like Balrog or Micro, and usually it takes a few seconds to kill. However, it by now way compensates for the lack of healing by his "Q" and doesn't even bring him close to the level of usefulness that is held by Geneva who can not only heal more, but also generate AoS shields and give temporary invincibility.

Finally there is his ultimate. His ultimate is decent, but without any good spells to back it up it only brings up to a level where he can be competitive for 12 seconds. Using my ultimate I can get some healing done by boasting my stacks to 400[+240%INT] over 6 seconds. However, this equate to roughly 70[+40%INT] healing a second which is still a rather unimpressive amount. While it can heal an team-mate up out of combat, you aren't going to be saving any lives in combat with that unless it's already a close call. I feel no need to discuss it's effect on his DPS potential because as previously established, it's a joke beyond belief at this point.

I thank you for listening to my spew, but after playing a few games with Egon it became rapidly apparent to me that my once favorite hero wasn't only nerfed to be weak, but was nerfed to the point of worthlessness. Regardless of whatever role you want to play whether it be laning, support, DPS, or healing, Geneva is better in every conceivable way. Egon Stetman can be struck from the character list of AoS as anyone who plays him might as well resign to being completely worthless in every way possible.

When you pick Egon your team has only 4 heroes. i was amazed when tried to play him now. he is useful only till lvl 10.

Q - most of STR heroes have better regen than his active skill which heals for 100health. lots of other can leech from machete or others

W - mana problems? - first 10 minutes. silence - 3 seconds after egon will be dead.

E - most useless skill in the game, justicar have better aura.

R - this R is like egon have no R at all.

I dunno what happened but Egon cant do anything now. Maybe it is coz of fastest mode.

To be honest, he was great before patch, but now...(

Unless I am mistaken, egon has the single highest potential weapon damage, by far. Hardly something I'd call underpowered.

Before the changes to Cerebro, I would've agreed as you could exploit his low CD's to continually proc it. however, with the latest change that is no longer a reliable source of damage and his AA is overshadowed by virtually every other hero in the game. His weapon damage is extremely week without that exploit because his animation speed and projection speed can take up to a full second before the damage is actually dealt to the target.

My sides were never ready for the amount of bullshap i am reading in here.

In a proper game ure Q is generally will be used as a main healing spell during laning with an emergency pop of a healing ward. So now u might be actually able to kill a hero laning with egon in a 2v2 situation. Maybe. Most likely still not.

If u think that u pick Egon to do DAMAGE u should stick to pubs and never complain about balance. His main role will be always silencing a key hero in a teamfight and healing his buddies.

Properly placed ward is still broken as flob. Honestly ward is the main reason he was ever picked or banned.

Before the changes to Cerebro, I would've agreed as you could exploit his low CD's to continually proc it. however, with the latest change that is no longer a reliable source of damage and his AA is overshadowed by virtually every other hero in the game. His weapon damage is extremely week without that exploit because his animation speed and projection speed can take up to a full second before the damage is actually dealt to the target.

Oh I wasn't even talking about Cerebro. I was talking about actual weapon damage. Think about how much int his ult gives him. That's already some wd, but more importantly think about the energy it gives him. Now add energy saber into the equation.

In a proper game ure Q is generally will be used as a main healing spell during laning with an emergency pop of a healing ward. So now u might be actually able to kill a hero laning with egon in a 2v2 situation. Maybe. Most likely still not.

If u think that u pick Egon to do DAMAGE u should stick to pubs and never complain about balance. His main role will be always silencing a key hero in a teamfight and healing his buddies.

Properly placed ward is still broken as flob. Honestly ward is the main reason he was ever picked or banned.

You clearly haven't played with Egon post-patch as of yet. While before Egon was borderline OP, now-days he is useless. You start that his main healing spell is Q, a clear indicator you haven't played against or with a post-patch Egon. As shown previously his Q is the most pitiful spell in the game and is absolutely worthless as healing. On strength heroes, his Q is worse then the passive healing from Organic. It's also infantile compared to that done by Geneva.

I never considered damage a primary damage hero, but that doesn't change the fact that previously he COULD do damage. This is particularly instrumental in getting enough farm to actually be a decent healer. Because his AA is the worst in the game, last hitting come down pretty much to luck so he must get almost all of his minerals through assist or kills. Even so, having him as a quasi-healer DPS like Erekul was for the longest time works far better towards balance in game-play as a full healer is either OP or UP in most cases.

Finally you still assert his ward is OP, despite all the evidence to the contrary. While the ward is great for late game strength heroes (who's regen and organic already brings them from low to full pretty quickly) it is still on average worse then other powerful healing AoE's such as MAAR's and Justicar's. Against any non-strength hero it is remarkably easy to burst through it's healing, and it's healing on strength heroes is hardly a game changer. While I won't say it's useless, it's not so much it's OP as it's that it's Egon's only remaining useful spell left.

Oh I wasn't even talking about Cerebro. I was talking about actual weapon damage. Think about how much int his ult gives him. That's already some wd, but more importantly think about the energy it gives him. Now add energy saber into the equation.

With energy saber, his ultimate increases his AA damage by 198 (100 from INT main-stat, 98 from bonus energy). While this seems decent on paper, This isn't nearly as good as several other damage steroids such as cat's ultimate or even Balrog's passive. Additionally, going an AA Egon is pretty much resignation that his spells suck as none of his spells are suited towards that build.

I haven't played as him since the June/July patch where Cerebro turned almost every caster into a hybrid AA/caster but before that I enjoyed playing his support role now and again. I didn't even need to see the testimonial before I knew I wouldn't play him again, the stats tell the story itself. He's weak now, his CD was increased and duration decreased. His avatar change is freaking me out. No idea why it changed, Egon has an in game avatar... I'm sad that we don't use it in favor of a rusty looking medic. Is there a change coming, or a blueprint for his character development? What is the plan, because I'm not ready to bury Egon with Shadow into the heroes I will never play... :(

This is the problem with the current mind set of the players in this game. Every hero should be a carry. If said hero cant get kills as easily as others its worthless.....

People think every hero should be able to duel any other hero and have a chance to win. Its ridiculous. Its post like that that get heroes buffed to retarded levels.

Egon is still an op hero.

Aeon of Storms, is in fact a team game, Its a game where you take 5 players to gain map control and push down enemy lanes and eventually push into there base to kill the main objective.

Aeon of storms is not Super Smash Brothers. Its not Team Slayer from Halo. Its an objective game that you use team work to accomplish, Your k/d doesnt mean much if you lose your lanes and lose your base.

Not every hero in this game needs to be a hyper carry that can fight and win duels and such,

The problem with egon and has been for a long time is he is an Great support hero that can support his team for extended periods of time, By health and mana sustain and he can provide cc to the enemy team. But on the other side of that coin Egon was also a HYPER INT carry on the same level as what darpa or nova is to the agi heroes. Egon was dealing ridiculous amounts of damage.

Egon provided great silence on his w. 3 seconds is a huge amount of time in a team fight.

If Egon bought Nitro he had a 12 second slow with his Q and the way egon's heroic passive worked and his cool downs. You could spam q every 2 seconds. a 12 second slow....... Thats why its now 6 seconds. this is the same reason Greelus q was changed form spell to true damage because the slow with nitro was to much. Egon needed a nerf to his cc potential He was providing to much cc with to much sustain and to much damage.

Last night i played an IH with egon in the game and he was still a huge part of the game and doing so much. but he was not on the level of a god. As he once was.

Further games need to be played with the hero. But i think it could be time to finally take the hero off the Auto Ban list.

The hero is still ridiculous strong when supporting Tanks like micro drake. The hero still has amazing lane phase. If egon or egon's lane partner dies in the lane well ROFL sham on u.

Hogwarts, did you actually read my post or did you just presume I was pissed that Egon couldn't one shot shadow?

I play almost entirely support heroes, and a major proponent of team play. While I touched briefly on damage, my major complaint was that he was worthless as a support hero. He is outclassed by almost every single support hero out there and is virtually worthless as a healer. Please read through my post before you start ranting and raving that I assume that Egon should by a super carry.

While I think that Egon as overpowered before hand, he is virtually worthless now. His Q is pathetic in comparison to Geneva's and by the late game is completely worthless. You mention drake, to which I point out his Q barely heals more then drakes does to himself. You also boast about his 3 second silence, which is absurd when you compare it to almost any other silence that any other support hero has. Raynor's can hit multiple targets, from a larger distance, and last 6 seconds. Greelus can also silence for up to 6 seconds, and from a far safer distance.

His "incredibly laning phase" as you put it is a joke. His slow attack animation and projectile speed makes him the most difficult hero to last hit with, and his lack of any real damage abilities mean he has the least pushing force in the game. As for heroes in the lanning phase, his already sickeningly usless Q is even more so at lower levels. His level 1 and 2 Q do absolutely jack shap for healing. As a level 1-4 Egon I can keep two stacks on me full time and it would still take more then a minute game-time to replenish 50% of my health. His healing is pathetic in the early game and even more so late game. This paired with his inability to manage stacks on multiple people mean it's quite easy to see how someone being healed by Egon could die quite easily.

Egon is now a terrible support hero. There is no reason to pick any other support hero as opposed to Egon. There is better healers, silencers, slow-ers, laners, etc. If they released a hero that could one shot everyone, and one that couldn't do anything, sometimes I suspect you would still proclaim that no balance issue existed.

Side-note:

If you really insist Egon is still OP, please upload some replays of him doing so.

But 90% of the community cares.

Brings us back to the Pub vs IH balancing question. Here is yet another hero who falls in a group was notably spearheaded by Shadow for being notoriously difficult to balance, as I've discussed with Mus it's almost like balancing for 2 different games.

@Hogwarts Although this mentality works for SC2 ladder I'm afraid it's baseless for AoS. We must accept AoS has no pro scene, and the game is community driven - our large scale events are broadcasted to a viewership which does not end in triple figures - and has no massive esports following.

There is nothing bad in this. It just means the Devs have decided on occasions to balance to the potential thousands (I'm unsure how many people play Aos but it must be at least over 500 per week) rather than the 50. Heck even Riot have balanced things (controversially) in favour of pubs, and LoL is in a totally different league to AoS.

Yeah. Now he cant kill anybody and what is more important he cant farm at all. use mana for W to kill 1 creep is so bad. Even Dustin have greater farming abilities.

Lololol dafuq im reading?

dustin is a nuker and one of the best farmers in the game. I easily have x3 the farm of any other hero in pub games the entire game and x1.1-1.5 in inhouses till the laning phase ends.

Egon is a support and he should have less creeps killed than assists. And if you get kills with egon shame on you.

Jesus

i played egon as my main till this recent patch totally put the nail in his coffin. unplayable now. the biggest hit was when they nerfed all spellcasters by removing multiple top tear caster items like being able to have gravity + argus down to just one item (not counting sunflare) while leaving dps and tanks with multiple top tier items. Thus dps is currently OP as well as new backdoor problems become big issues. all of this stems from repeat changes starting with the new items