Complete Beginners guide to AoS

Muto

The inherent problem is that people either want to learn or they don't want to learn. If they want to learn, even with limited, fragmented, incomplete information, they'll dig and find what there is. In the absence of existing info, they'll discover it for themselves. But for people who don't want to learn, you could compile every little scrap of info on the subject and present it to them in a perfectly understandable manner on a silver platter and with an AI program that will instruct them in the voice of Morgan Freeman... and they'll still resist learning by any method short of having a USB port connected directly to their brain and having the info directly loaded up via flash drive.

Lets be honest if you had morgan freeman do it theyd listen, it might go in one ear and out the other but theyd listen lol

i still think the biggest problem is half the noobs dont even know of the website or are too lazy to visit it

hence my suggestion in the how to deal with noobs thread;

make a pop up box with hero specific guide come up afer they pick hero, something simple and to the point if they have played less than 200 / 500 games (use whales mini guide)

although the morgan freeman thingy is kinda cool i wonder if we can get one of those text to voice thingies in his voice

Shields - Shields only exist on a few heroes, and have no armor or spell resist. Shields can only be gained through specific spells and usually time-out after a few seconds.

Though I thought the same, time ago I read Armor and Sres affects shield too.

If anyone could confirm this, it would be nice.

The inherent problem is that people either want to learn or they don't want to learn. If they want to learn, even with limited, fragmented, incomplete information, they'll dig and find what there is. In the absence of existing info, they'll discover it for themselves. But for people who don't want to learn, you could compile every little scrap of info on the subject and present it to them in a perfectly understandable manner on a silver platter and with an AI program that will instruct them in the voice of Morgan Freeman... and they'll still resist learning by any method short of having a USB port connected directly to their brain and having the info directly loaded up via flash drive.

Agreed, but you still have to realize AoS is a custom game from SC2. You are bound to come across some people who just want to have a cool relaxing game like STD that they can pick up quickly, see aos on the custom games list and try it out, and it's perfectly ok that they don't go to the forums to learn everything, you just can't ask everyone who enters an aos lobby to dedicate themselves to learn the game, no matter how frustrating it can be if they are in your team.

Agreed, but you still have to realize AoS is a custom game from SC2. You are bound to come across some people who just want to have a cool relaxing game like STD that they can pick up quickly, see aos on the custom games list and try it out, and it's perfectly ok that they don't go to the forums to learn everything, you just can't ask everyone who enters an aos lobby to dedicate themselves to learn the game, no matter how frustrating it can be if they are in your team.

Agreed... sometimes you just have to turn off the win instict and go for K/D, troll, or somthing else to make it fun.

i still think the biggest problem is half the noobs dont even know of the website or are too lazy to visit it

hence my suggestion in the how to deal with noobs thread;

If you come across a noob who wants to learn the game, it isn't that hard to just link him this post or tell him to check out the website. If he actually wants to learn, he will do so. Back when I was still a noob to SotiS (as it was known back then), I got refereed to the website quite a few times but never found a beginner-friendly guide such as this.

Though I thought the same, time ago I read Armor and Sres affects shield too.

Updated the guide to correct this mistake.

It just occurred to me that I forgot critical strike under the stats section, although this isn't too surprising considering I haven't played an AA in almost a year and unless I'm mistaken there was several updates to it's mechanics in that time. However, I have no idea quite how it works in the current game. So I am actually wondering a few things in order to update the guide:

How does it stack?

And how is it affected by leech/armor.

And what is the current damage multiplier?

Crit is very straight-forward. Both chance and damage stack linearly; default is 0% chance and 35%? damage, iirc. The base damage bonus has flopped around so much I kind of lost track but I'm pretty sure it's at 35% now. If you have +25% crit damage, it just adds together so 35% + 25% = 60%. Same with chance; if you have 2 sources of +20% crit chance, you have 40% chance. The bonus portion is True damage so if you deal 100 damage with your attack and crit for 25%, you'll deal 100 physical damage and 25 true damage. I forget, though, if it calculates before physical resist or after.

it is 50% base. calculation is done after mitigation.

Target has 50% physical resist and 1000 hp

You attack for attempted 200 base weapon damage and crit with no bonus crit damage.

Target takes 100 physical damage, and then 50 bonus true damage from your crit, and is left at 850 hp.

• 1 month later...

This is true, but thats not really what bothers people, what bothers people is how few people actually say "hey Im new can you tell me how this works or what items are good to get?" and instead ignore anything anyone says and feed over an over showing no signs of learning from anything that happens. Its one thing to be new and not know anything and another to be completely retarded and ignore all the people trying to help you despite the fact you keep dying over and over (which anyone with common sense should recognize is a bad thing).

The recommended builds have been redone but many of them are not really ideal for a new person by any means (such as all support item builds on INT casters instead of INT dps items and some HP). New people are not exactly good at teamwork so playing support is not going to make sense to them and its not reasonable to expect them to make good use of certain support items. I see this causing issues as well.

On a different note: I would love it if morgan freeman was in the game telling people how to play, but it will never happen. I do however think its a VERY good idea though to have the game recognize when you are "feeding" (and or new?) and offer additional tips and tutorials beyond what is there now to help you stop sucking. Even if its just flashing warnings/tips like "Dying is really bad because it hurts your team and makes the enemy team stronger, stay with your team (don't run out alone) and rely on the advice of more experienced members. Dying too much will loose you the game and piss off all your teammates" Also would be great if the game yelled at people who don't get an item by displaying a persistent "You need to buy items from the shop in the main base to make your hero strong, if you dont you will die over and over and your team will get mad at you for costing them the game." in the middle of the screen. They may ignore all the chat from allies, but if the game starts lecturing them too its bound to sink in at least a little (especially the item one if it hogs the middle of their screen and doesn't go away till they have an item)

Agreed, I've played more than a few custom games that get played less and have way more in terms of tutorial. No isea how difficult it would be to implement though.

I dont think it would be all that hard for the game to recognize 0-5 / 0-10 scores or read your bank file and know you have played 0 (or only a few) games.

And I agree 100% that we are lacking in readily accessible in game tutorials. We should definitely have a button for a tutorial in game on basic gameplay (Mias laning etc) as well as core game mechanics that is accessible from the UI itself / a fixed place in base. Ideally it would be great if it auto opened on your first game so you have something to do while waiting for game to start. Would be even cooler if it gave tips on how to play whatever hero you picked too.

I am still of the opinion some things are better off being force fed to you by the system though such as displaying a big persistent "You forgot to buy a starting item, Press D to return to base so you can buy one from the shop" in the middle of your screen (taking up at least half the screen) that does not go away until you buy at least 1 item. Literally could stay on your screen all game if you never get one. Optionally could be followed with "Without good items you will die repeatedly and cause your team to loose the game, ask your team for suggestions on what to buy if you are new".

Also having it display "Dying hurts your team and makes the enemy team stronger, stay with your team (don't run out alone) and rely on the advice of more experienced members if you are new. If you keep dying you will cost your team the game" while you are dead if you are 0-5 or higher (or all the time?) as a sort of lecture from the game itself about how bad feeding is. (can be added to the respawn timer)

These changes would all be pretty easy to make I assume. I can see many people ignoring a tutorial their first game which is why I felt that items and feeding should be force displayed on peoples screens so its much harder to ignore them.

Whn I started playing I didn't even know how to build items, I would just save until I had enough for the whole item... Took me like 2 weeks to figure out you could build items. I hadn't played mobas or other hero based minigames before though, so maybe it's easier for most people.

Haha I did that too. I also manually clicked item actives for months because I didnt realize I could change the hotkeys for them and didnt have a numberpad. I think the most critical things to cover for brand new people are what heros are noob friendly, laning, mias, ganks and farming, item components and some semblance of build orders, general hero roles, not running out alone / feeding, basic game mechanics (stun silence cooldown attack speed timescale evasion etc), and maybe an explanation on taser and that new AA disabler whos name I forget. O and talents.....newbies should get swiftness and integrity on every hero. An explanation on debuffs and the potion items in misc. A lecture on map awareness would be good too I guess along with letting them know about flip interface along with a lecture on the importance of teamwork and asking people for help so you dont cost everyone the game :P

Everything else seems like you have to learn over time (all the diff heros and their moves), the diff items and what works well with what role, how to counter other builds or support your team, and of course last hit / denys

Leech/Lifesteal - Lifesteal causes all PHYSICAL DAMAGE dealt to give you health equal to damage dealth x lifesteal. Once again, it stacks non-linearly. One item with 20% leech, and one item with 15% would equal a total of [1-(0.8x0.85)=0.32] or 32% of all damage dealt is gained as health. Because it is damage dealt, armor mitigates how much is leached. Spell damage and true damage do not leech.

Leech is linear.

ed: "any value that starts at 0 is linear and any value that starts above 0 is multiplicative" (something like that)

And man, I hate to throw the bone 'needs updates'.

Though not really, since all the information here is up to date. It's absolutely amazing.

Leech is linear.

ed: "any value that starts at 0 is linear and any value that starts above 0 is multiplicative" (something like that)

And man, I hate to throw the bone 'needs updates'.

Though not really, since all the information here is up to date. It's absolutely amazing.

I do my best to keep it updated and always appreciate it when someone points out something I got wrong and need to fix. After-all, what is the point of a guide that is inaccurate or out of date? Thanks for the rule of thumb as well.

• 2 months later...

What about 2 addresses on the load page? A direct address to the AoS.com site and below it with a short description of the second address that it is a beginner's AoS guide? Or even adding a few extra words to the load page where it says Visit our community at AoS.com and also add something like "visit AoS.com for our community and a complete detailed beginner's guide to AoS! While what people have previously stated is true about people wanting to learn or not, for the ones who don't want to join a website, this may get them here knowing it's not just forums. The fact that the link is provided may scare some off or even be intimidating since they know they are new and may not be welcomed. But knowing that there are tips and a basic guide as well on the website might help push people without knowledge to wanting to see the guide. Further more it might even get some who normally wouldn't join to otherwise join. Saying it's a community is very brief. While most would realize it probably has tips and sugguestions sometimes clearly stating there is a beginner's guide on the website might help promote it better.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just letting everyone know that I am no longer updating this guide. I've logged quite a few thousand hours on AoS, but in the end I am simply moving on to other games as I have grown tired of MOBAs. If someone wants to contribute more to the community, it may be worth creating your own beginners guide to replace this one, or re-posting this one and updating it on your own. Otherwise it will probably be gradually outdated with consecutive patches.