Zeratul Advice?

Edge

Hey, I'm a fairly new player and I was just wondering if any of the more experienced players out there had any advice for playing with Zeratul, any advice, talents, item builds, how to use him, anything is appreciated at this point.

Uh lets start with talents, I reccomend a 0/10/15 with fortitude, and avarice and gifted pupil.

He is an assassian, and in the lane your biggest advantage is that they cannot hit u unless you last hit or use a skill so you should use that to your advantage, and get as much harassment on them as you can. Also learn how to use your planar void, it might just be one of his best skills.

Item wise i go with

Machette + Tele

Machette

Boots (your choice)

Either

Pyre (If they have a good tank)

Contam Shard (If no tank, or just a bad one)

Then BHM

Taser is also good.

Others to get would be

Valors

Khali Blade

HOM (Hand Of Mengsk)

Don't be afraid to get a darwin's might, possibly the best tanky item for AA heros.

To win with zera, after boots get phase cloak then time splitter then HoM then valors manifest. After get pyre and Darwin's. U stack agi cuz u should max zeras w first. Get 1 point in e at first then max w. max e. then max q. Of course get ult when necessary. U stack agi since ur massive gives you a MASSIVE bonus when attacking from behind. When at 6 you should have lvl 1 q, lvl 3 w, and lvl 1 e. use q then ult. Attack from behind. Once you get HoM use it when u ult. You should be able to kill most people.

machete/tele at start

machete

accelerator

phase cloak

zerg symbiosis->glutton's bite/pyre

finish boots (star treks or morphing boots)

valor's manifest

sell phase cloak and get time splitter

up glutton's bite to HoM. some people like darwin's might. up to you.

sell machetes and get contam/khali blade etc. a coat of arms is something to consider as well.

as far as playstyle, make sure you're good at last-hitting. you should only decloak yourself to last hit with a backstab in your lane. im usually the 2nd most farmed on the team in an IH with zeratul after the carry. practice your planars. it's the #1 thing that separates a good zeratul from a bad one and will be the difference b/w life and death 99% of the time for you. watch the other lanes carefully and if there's an opportune moment for a gank, go for it.

in team fights, save your ult for defensive purposes like helping yourself or a teammate get away, disabling their initiator/CC or whoever is the most problematic in team fights. so often, people just save their bubble to KS a low hero without thinking as to who else is trapped in it. NEVER EVER get a teammate in it if you can help it unless you're certain they won't be hurt by it. rory/kerrigan/rancor synergizes really well with him so use that to your advantage. your job otherwise is to start the fight by coming in from the side or back cloaked and nuking down with AA backstabs their squishies.

skillwise, get planar first, then Q then W. i max my Q first as opposed to W since the short cooldown lets you hop around more and ultimately does more dmg and creates more confusion. planar i max last.

Zeratul.

and

---

Two old guide which may give you an idea of zeratul's nature. :)

My standard zertaul build is this

either 0/11/14 or 25/0/0 or 0/25/0 the first one has protect. I recommend the first one or you may follow the talent build from the old video guides. I have tested both of them, and they work well. :)

---

For skills, I simply get e at lvl 1, then w, then I max q. I max w. And I max e. I get r everytime it is available.

---

For items,

1 machete ( a second machete or third if my life is easily drained in a lane)

2 phase cloak

3 boots - i like the blue one - has this evade option (I always buy void steppers. other boots are okay too.)

4 zerg symbiosis

5 pyre/contam (pyre if they have a tank and contam if they don't have one)

6 valors manifest

4 upgrade zerg to hom or darwins might as the case may be

1 sell machete for archbound/time splitter/bhm/khalis blade

3 sell boots for archbound (depending on the game direction)

---

experiment with the items based on enemy.

---

To harass, I'd q the opponent then turn on phase cloak to escape. I'd kill a creep, q an opponent then go away. - In the early stage, this is important because it is an easy way to nerf your opponents life.

Use e to place your opponent opposite you, so you can normal attack him at his back. I usually use e before I ulti, so he cannot tele away or something. I just use q as a finisher. Always target the enemy with low life, like nova, another zeratul, ghost, etc. let the magic users deal with the tanks.

Don't be afraid to attack creeps with your aa, when you are laning, rather than just standing there, because most of the time, it will help you get accustomed to zeratul.

Use q to escape from your opponent by hitting creeps with it.

Use e to pull an opponent in gangking so, it will be separated and killed easily.

Abuse e as much as you can to position creeps, yourself, opponents. E is your ultimate attack, r is just something that u use to finish ppl off.

---

in the old sotis website, i have posted many replays regarding zeratul. I've trolled with him by building him as a tank, as a timescale, items. :) He's fun. And what better ego trip is there than being THE zeratul. :3

Thanks for all the advice guys, definitely going to keep all that in mind, especially about the planar which I realize I've been under-using up until now. Also in the mid-game if I notice I'm a bit too squishy, I like getting the armor that gives +430 health and does 40 damage to all surrounding units (the fire one I can't remember it's name). Anyone think this is a bad idea or there is a better item out there?

Thanks for all the advice guys, definitely going to keep all that in mind, especially about the planar which I realize I've been under-using up until now. Also in the mid-game if I notice I'm a bit too squishy, I like getting the armor that gives +430 health and does 40 damage to all surrounding units (the fire one I can't remember it's name). Anyone think this is a bad idea or there is a better item out there?

I do not think it is a bad item.

i. it gives you extra hp.

ii. since your a close range fighter, it adds to your damage when you are near your victims while doing auto attacks

Item Build:

Machete+Tele

Accelerators

Valor's Manifest

Warp Shard

Morphling Boots

Time Splitter, Pulse Hammer/FoE, Isomorphic Pyre, and/or Hand of Mengsk

Reasoning: Valor's gives the largest amount of AGI and damage for it's cost and should be easy to keep at full stacks with Zeratul's escape mechanisms and farming capability. Warp Shard gives you an easier time initiating and lets you save your Phase Strike and Planar Void for chasing and escaping.

Skill Build:

W/E>W>W>Q>W>R>W>Stats>Stats>Stats>R>E>E>E>Q>R>Q>Q

Before deciding on a Zeratul build, you need to ask yourself the question of what style of play are you going to do with him. Are you going to be a pure assassin hero where you sneak up, chronosphere, and always get a kill in your bubble, or are you going to have more of a skill oriented build that relies more on phase strike and planar void play which requires a bit more tankiness to be viable.

If you want a build for pure burst damage DPS with Zera where you patiently pick a target and then kill them in your bubble then you want:

Boots of your choice (I get treks, otherwise you might want timewalkers)

Pyre

Contamination Shard

Hand of Mengsk

Timesplitter

Yamato Reactor

After you get timesplitter you are well over the attack speed cap which is why you get yamator reactor because the passive 15% timescale plus the passive 15% timescale from HoM and the active 30% timescale from Yamato Reactor will have you attacking 60% faster than normally possible. This procs a lot of backstabs and you can pretty much always get a kill this way with this build if you don't get stunned or disabled when attacking an enemy.

Another build which focuses on phase strike damage and his more of a melee oriented build where you don't get kills in your ultimate until you have worn a hero down a bit is:

Boots of your choice (I get treks, otherwise you might want timewalkers)

Black Hole Magnum

Pyre

Valor's Manifest

Khali Blade

Organic Carapace/Darwin's Might

This is more of a melee build and does significantly less burst DPS than the first build but you do a lot of damage with your phase strike. I generally prefer this build because the first build allows you to get a lot of kills, but if your team sucks you still lose the game while the second build allows you to score multiple kills by simply outplaying the other team with better skill since it is far less reliant on chronosphere for scoring kills and chronosphere will only get you one maybe two kills at a time.

Oh yah and last but not least, I start with a 14 defense, 11 utility talent build that gets you both avarice and swiftness. With avarice you have enough cash when the creeps move out for both a sustainer and soul engine provided you picked your hero within the first 5 seconds or so. I do this on every hero so it is nothing special with Zeratul, but sustainer I think is especially important on Zeratul because his primary goal when laning is last hitting creeps for income since he is very item dependant, and soul engine is important because it feeds you back mana and health so that you can keep phase striking over and over again. I also have vitalize and energize and don't bother with any of the other talent actives since you really need energize if you are going to be phase striking every creep you can to score last hits.

Starting build: Tele + Machete

from there on in get > 2nd Machete > accelerator > phase cloak > BHM > boots of choice > Valor's Manifest > sell machete, buy pyre > sell 2nd machete, buy Time Splitter > sell phase cloak, buy HoM/ Organic Carpace/ Darwin's Might.

You always need to save your ult for at least 3 enemy heroes, or 2 critical DPS or casters. It's cooldown is relatively short, but you should try avoiding using it in a 1v1 or gank. Void is the the skill that has the most utility in all of sotis.... you can move allies so that they escape, void people to tower, gain extra ground so that you effectively double blink with Phase Strike. Early game you are a burst hero, it is only late midgame that you become a DPS. Phase strike + BHM is enough to take down 60% of a squishy hero's life. Another attack, void, attack with bhm proc brings them to almost nil. From there on in you can either use ultimate for a hero that escapes really well, such as Nova, or you can just run after them and wait for your phase strike to cool off. A zera that uses terrain and LoS blockers well will get in, kill an important hero then escape before anyone can retaliate. Always flank or come from high ground, so that you can pick off stragglers or wait for a good timing to trap more of the enemy team in your ultimate.

Thanks for all the advice guys, playing with some of the suggested item builds you guys gave today helped me become a whole lot better really quickly. I like the build that gives me energize over protect, I noticed when I was playing that there were a lot more opportunities where I lost a potential kill due to lack of energy then there were moments where I needed the protect buff to escape getting killed.

To win with zera, after boots get phase cloak then time splitter then HoM then valors manifest. After get pyre and Darwin's. U stack agi cuz u should max zeras w first. Get 1 point in e at first then max w. max e. then max q. Of course get ult when necessary. U stack agi since ur massive gives you a MASSIVE bonus when attacking from behind. When at 6 you should have lvl 1 q, lvl 3 w, and lvl 3 e. use q then ult. Attack from behind. Once you get HoM use it when u ult. You should be able to kill most people.

Please explain how at level 6 you have lvl 1 Q, lvl 3 W , lvl 3 E and lvl 1 R?

You should always max Q first because it is your early game damage buffer. It makes up for your weak damage. Plus you need the shorter CD to spam it in team fights and to chase. W will not be doing hardly any damage that early because you have weak items and not a lot of agi.

You should always max Q first because it is your early game damage buffer. It makes up for your weak damage. Plus you need the shorter CD to spam it in team fights and to chase. W will not be doing hardly any damage that early because you have weak items and not a lot of agi.

I don't know how he got 8 skill points at lvl 6 or may be 7 if not including the ulti. Hehe. Other than that, it really is a personal choice whether you max what skill. I'd max e firt if I am at the mid or the side which is near the tower. If I am on the offensive, I'd max q first. Sometimes I'd also max w first with 1 skill on q and e. It really depends on the enemy type. and the place. :3

Yup. In fact, I max my Q and go stats for extra tankiness when laning as it is not like backstab is gonna be too useful that early in the game, especially if you have your health worn down from laning as Zeratul is a notoriously weak laning hero (against good players at least).

ZERAS Q SUCKS BALLS. The bonus magic dmg is a joke. It's main use is a gap closer. Secondly for the best skill setup: e,w,w,q,w,r,w,e,e,e,r,y,y,y,q,r,q,q. I max w first because I don't have the energy to spam my e early game so I don't need the cooldown. I don't max his q because the bonus 120 (it might be more) magic damage is just pathetic (ask whale tits). I max w first because it maximizes his damage in his ult. As for the darpa reference, I max his q first because 95 dmg per second for up to five seconds is a hell of a lot better than 120 magic damage plus base damage. DARPA gets his q for harass. It is hard for a melee dps hero to harass.

There is no one way to play zeratul. ;) I've tried it maxing q first , maxing w first, and maxing e first, or even with one skill points on q, w, e, and the maxing stats first. As long as you get your desired result, now what other people think, but what you want it to be, then you are in the right track. Now, whether it is effective or now is another case. :)

If protoss, on top lane, I'd max q first because planar won't be much use to get enemy to tower.

If protoss, on mid, I'd max e first, to settle the creeps in a proper position and easily harass the enemy mid with q.

If protoss, on bot, I'd max e first, to position enemy near tower, and harass with q.

If enemy is magic type, I'd max stat first to get more life, or buy more machetes as the need arises.

I mean as long as you are imaginative, you can build zeratul in so many ways. :3

Does any one realize how much damage 60% agility is??? When you ulti you rale their face off since you are attacking from behind.

If your items are good, then it is awesome. But in the beginning, there is little bonus even if it is high. Though, I'd get w first if I want to get high creep rate in laning. :3

If your items are good, then it is awesome. But in the beginning, there is little bonus even if it is high. Though, I'd get w first if I want to get high creep rate in laning. :3

I actually completely agree with you. I can't kill shap till I get my agi boots and my phase cloak. I get my w for last hitting creeps. You can't get harassed cuz you are invisible.

I actually completely agree with you. I can't kill shap till I get my agi boots and my phase cloak. I get my w for last hitting creeps. You can't get harassed cuz you are invisible.

Yes, the only problem left if the enemy is smart enough to buy true sight or has an observer or has a area skill. :3

Archived