[Vergil.Nerazim - v1.103] Tanky INT midgame domination

dutch

bhn56r.jpg

"Hello Darkness, my old friend..."

Welcome friends and haters!

Today, I bring you a guide for one of the most criminally underplayed and underrated heroes in the game. After putting a lot of time into Lord Zyrkan's less popular bastard step-brother, I've come to the conclusion that Vergil is underplayed on the sole basis that he simply too good at dominating games and creating a slippery slope for the other team that cannot be recovered from. While honest AoS players may want a challenge instead of participating in 40 minutes of RQ-inducing, KDR-buffing slaughter that is a mere formality before clicking the "Victory!" button, others may not, and this is where this guide comes into play.

Vergil.Nerazim is a competent laner in the early game, but he truly shines in the midgame. By lategame, his role in this guide will shift from INT nuker to support as his constant AoE debuffing provides more utility than his damage output. While his spell damage is still effective, especially against squishy/fleeing heroes, it is important to adjust your playstyle to compensate. With that being said, with a properly executed early/midgame strategy, you will be able to put the other team at a severe disadvantage if not end the game outright before the lategame stage arrives.

Synopsis

This build is centered around building high HP and INT to dominate the midgame. With Vergil's two escapes, evasion, and a time-boosting heroic passive, you will have a rage-inducing combination of survivability and mobility. Add in the capacity for delivering sustained AoE spell damage that debuffs enemy physical damage along with a game-breaking ult that will turn the tide of any battle, and you have one of the most effective midgame heroes in AoS.

Vergil.Nerazim

"Some humans have redeeming qualities... you're not one of them."

Abilities

Q - Judgement Cut

[3 Charges] Cut away at target location, dealing [(50/90/130/170) + (30% INT)] spell damage.

W - Disarming Strike (passive)

Enemies damaged by Vergil lose [20/30/40/50%] weapon damage for 3 seconds.

E - Trick

Dashes towards target point, becomes transparent, and gains 100% evasion for [1.5/2/2.5/3] seconds.

R - Dimension Slash

Disappears for 0.7 second and reappears at target location, unleashing 10 Judgement Cuts in an area between the two locations. Each cut deals [(150/210/270) + (30% INT)] spell damage. Each enemy can be struck up to a maximum of 3 times per cast.

Heroic Passive - Devil Trigger

When Vergil reaches below 30% health, he gains 20% time.

Ability Build

Q / E / Q / W / Q / R / Q / E / E / E / R / W / W / W / Y / R / Y / Y

Q is maxed first for obvious reasons, with Trick / E being maxed second to exploit the evasion bonus gained from additional levels. While Disarming Strike / W is extremely powerful, this debuff will be comparatively more effective in the lategame. In the course of your midgame domination you will be tower-diving and making escapes by the skin of your teeth, so every half second of evasion is invaluable.

Talent Build

1 / 2 / 3

Cunning (+5% spell damage)

Fitness (+180 health) AND one of Discipline (+7% SR), Vigor (+2.3 Health Regen), or Integrity (+6 Armor)

Prodigy (+12% CDR), Youth (+230 Energy), and Wealth (+200 starting minerals)

You may sacrifice Cunning for another point in Defense or to get Brilliance (1.2 Energy Regen) for more sustain. Fitness, Youth, Prodigy and Wealth are non-negotiable and are absolutely critical for having a strong early game which is essential to fully exploiting Vergil’s peak effectiveness in the midgame. The second defense tree talent is up to you; I like getting either Vigor or Discipline for increased sustain or more survivability, respectively.

Item Build

Core Items

Goggles

Ihan

Goggles build into -> Superheated Mantle

Blue Gene

Electric Mantle

Situational Items

Symphonic Seed

Argus Crystal

Gravity Edge

Yamato Reactor

[sell Ihan] -> Nitrogen Retrofit

Star's Fury

Strategy

Early Game

"We press forth."

As soon as you enter the game, you must immediately pick Vergil and buy a Miner’s Goggles. This is important! I’ll say it again: the very second the game loads, pick Vergil and buy Goggles. Practice it. Doing so will give you enough money to buy a Health and Energy Capsule the moment creeps spawn, allowing you to hit the nearest Thor camp about 5 seconds after they arrive. You are focusing on a flawless early game for midgame ownage, so long sustain in-lane is key.

Use your Q sparingly. There is a great temptation to spam Q early game, so avoid using it until level 3 if at all possible, at which point every Q should either result in a creep kill or to damage a hero. Do not use up all three charges at once; you must always keep at least one and preferably two charges in the tank. Used individually, Q is great for wearing down enemy heroes over time; enemies will rarely react, heal, or dodge if you hit them only once. As a result of this, enemies will underestimate your damage output. You will be able to bait heroes who try to tank you when they should not. When this happens, having at least 2 charges with the 3rd coming off CD will let you nuke an enemy hero very easily especially if you have a teammate nearby. Ensure you pay attention to your energy reserves, as Q is energy-intensive early game and you will miss more than one guaranteed kill by not having enough juice to finish him off.

If you play conservatively, you will be able to use Recover / F twice and both of your capsules and earn 1250 minerals before you have to return to base. If you are smart with your Q as I explained previously, you will have scored a kill and can return to base sooner. Once you have 1250, buy Ihan components and return to the lane. You should be level 5 or 6 by this point, and if you’re lucky or have a healer in lane with you, you’ll be able to get an ult off before you have to return to base.

AoE spell damage potential @ level 6:

Q: 3 * [130 + (49 * 0.3)] = 434

R: 3 * [150 + (49 * 0.3)] = 494

= 928

That's a rude surprise for an unsuspecting hero at level 6.

Mid Game

"It will be done."

Let the fun begin! At this point, you should have a kill or two. Complete your Ihan Crystal first, and then build your Goggles into a Superheated Mantle. Superheated Mantle is the key item and the single largest contributing factor to you dominating with this strategy. Given the nature of Vergil’s skills and the survivability provided by your talent and item build, SHM is the true-difference-maker.

By this point, at levels 8-11, three Q’s with SHM will annihilate an entire creep wave. It delivers significant damage to tanky heroes and melts squishy heroes outright. I cannot highlight the importance of SHM enough; it is critical to your survivability and is the core item in this build. The farming ability provided by SHM in conjunction with your hero-slaying abilities will quickly allow you to build a significant midgame item advantage over the enemy.

Blue Gene comes third. The +250 energy is nice, but irrelevant by this point in the game as your energy problems will have largely disappeared. Why buy it? The 10% CDR and passive INT stack is money; more CDR means more Cuts, and the INT stack is huge considering Vergil’s extreme survivability and bevy of escapes and evasions. A smartly timed ult, or your mere presence in a teamfight dishing damage with SHM + Q will result in a very quick +20-40 INT stack.

Electric Mantle comes fourth. This item defines the spirit of this build as it cements your survivability and provides a massive boost to CDR meaning more pain in less time. You may build Mantle before Gene, however, chances are you could have gained valuable INT stacks in the time it takes you to build Mantle first, not to mention you will not be reliant on Mantle’s survivability until later.

Congratulations! Your midgame domination should be well underway. For your fifth item, build a Higgs-Boson Capacitor which provides a hefty INT boost and will allow you to choose from a multitude of INT-based options. From this point onwards in the game, your item choice is contextual. The best choices are Argus and/or Gravity Edge, depending on your needs and the amount of Spell Resist present.

Rough AoE spell damage potential @ level 11:

Ihan Buff, ~25:00

Q: 3 * [170 + (124 * 0.3)] = 620

R: 3 * [210 + (124 * 0.3)] = 740

= 1360

Rough AoE spell damage potential @ level 16:

Ihan Buff, ~38:00; Higgs-Boson; Symphonic Seed OR 5 stacks Blue Gene

Q: 3 * [170 + (247 * 0.3)] = 732

R: 3 * [270 + (247 * 0.3)] = 1032

= 1764

If all goes well, that's a rough average of 1500 burst spell damage output on top of your SHM damage, not to mention in a sustained fight you'd get about 2-3 extra Q's off, bringing you to a potential output of 2400 damage before mitigation on heroes between levels 11-16. Anyone who isn't a tank is dead.

Late Game

"Let your thoughts be free."

The good news: if you've been doing it right, the enemy team should be on a slippery downward slope from which it is extremely hard to recover. The bad news: here's where life gets tough for Vergil. With his recent buff, he gets a little bit more damage, but the devastating midgame combo of SHM + 3x Q + Ult simply won't affect tankier heroes that much anymore. You must have Argus/Gravity/Yamato for your spell damage to be effective, and you must alter your playstyle to hang back and rely more on debuffing all enemy heroes as opposed to just focusing all of your psionic wrath on one poor bastard. The one item recommendation I have is to replace your Ihan with a Nitrogen Retrofit. Why Nitro in the lategame and not earlier? The utility provided by the slow synergizes far better with your role in the lategame. A faster Argus/Grav in the midgame will demolish baddies far faster than a Nitro would, and the combined HP boost from Ihan and Nitro is overkill. As enemy HP catches up and your spell damage becomes less effective, you will need additional utility attached to your spells to remain a threat, and the HP boost from Nitro is a good replacement for Ihan.

Unless absolutely necessary, I would recommend against selling SHM, even in the lategame phase. It provides a significant boost to killing massive endgame creep waves, and unless you are getting torched by AA heroes and need a Barbed, stick with it. Star's Fury looks like a fantastic item for Vergil, but I find I would much rather have a stronger INT bonus or the function provided from Yamato rather than an AA buff.

Lategame damage output is tricky with Argus, Grav, and all that playing into it, plus a big potential variance in stacks so I won't bother. Your spell damage will be mostly useful for the debuff utility at this point anyways.

General Thoughts on Playstyle; Keys to Success

As I mentioned before, Vergil's strengths come at the midgame. Because of this, our item choices and talents are focused on making that point as strong as possible. Having a flawless early game and not dying is absolutely paramount. Vergil can quickly become irrelevant as his spell damage simply won't be able to keep up, so you will need to have an item/mineral/level/score advantage around the level 5-6 point to help you snowball into the midgame. The strategies I outlined earlier will help you have that extra advantage.

As a general rule, kite in and out of battle at SHM range while dropping as many Q's as you can. Do not AA. The more Q's you can dish out, the better; by the time you have +10% CDR from Blue Gene you should be able to drop at least 4-6 Q's on the enemy, and even more when you have Electric Mantle. Your in-and-out kiting allows SHM to reach max damage potential, and by not AA'ing plus your tanky nature means you will be living very long and dealing a lot of spell damage.

The purpose of SHM and building tanky in general does not mean you initiate; it means you have the capacity to towerdive, chase down fleeing heroes and deliver DoT as living longer = more Q's and more SHM pain. SHM allows you to burn heroes when you don't have any Q charges and is critical for building up an item advantage through farming. The nature of your ult means you will be thick in the shap of the battle after you cast it, and a combination of SHM and Q will finish off whoever remains.

When it comes to your ult... save it! It has a long enough cooldown that you will be up shap creek if you cast it without thinking. Unless you can guarantee you will be hitting 3+ heroes in a teamfight, I can almost guarantee you are better served by saving your ult for a few seconds later or a different situation altogether. The reasoning behind this is that Vergil's ult provides an "OH shap" moment that many players instinctively react to by disengaging. You must shave off their HP through SHM + Q first, and devastate their team with an ult when they are already weakened. The insane damage output provided also allows you to turn the tables very quickly; it is excellent for baiting. It is also a fantastic escape and should be saved until it is absolutely necessary.

The only thing you should watch out for is Darpa. Seriously, that's it. flob Darpa. He dodges your Q and ult and then silences you and you die.

Overall, Vergil is a lot of fun. Played effectively, he rarely dies and can snowball a game very hard with his insane spell damage potential. He drops off lategame, but given a strong midgame he can finish a game before it even gets to that point.

"I am now.... beyond you."

Feel free to chime in with your thoughts. Have fun!

Very nice guide, but i found this was a good build for Vergil, and i was wondering how u felt about it.

Lost Treasure, Ihan, Argus, Yamato, Grav, Yamato, Sell Lost, Buy Yamato, Sell Ihan, Buy Yamato. This gives u a final build of 4 Yamatos, 1 Argus, and 1 Grav. Nice CDR so you can use Vergil ult fairly often, about 3k hp, and ~450 INT.

This is just my build, was wondering how u thought of it.

Very nice guide, but i found this was a good build for Vergil, and i was wondering how u felt about it.

Lost Treasure, Ihan, Argus, Yamato, Grav, Yamato, Sell Lost, Buy Yamato, Sell Ihan, Buy Yamato. This gives u a final build of 4 Yamatos, 1 Argus, and 1 Grav. Nice CDR so you can use Vergil ult fairly often, about 3k hp, and ~450 INT.

This is just my build, was wondering how u thought of it.

Thanks! That sounds like a hell of a lot of fun and something I'm going to try for lategame. I usually build an assortment of INT items but I haven't tried the mass Yamato... all that CDR would be great.

Even so, I think we're comparing apples to oranges; that's a sweet lategame setup whereas this is aimed at the abusing the midgame. The absolute value of the spell damage he puts out is very strong in the midgame, especially if he's a few kills or an item ahead, but doesn't scale well with enemy HP/SR as the game goes on. I think his relative effectiveness as a pure INT nuker peaks earlier, so going for strong midgame items like SHM and EM lets you build on that strength. I've tried a few different builds and by the endgame you simply just can't be as aggressive or wipe out a team as easily as you can in the midgame, so you have to shift playstyle to support regardless.

With that being said there's nothing stopping you from selling EM/BG/SHM and going the Yamato route like you mentioned afterwards. He is really nasty and tanky earlier on and SHM makes a ridiculous difference when it comes to getting a big farm advantage and killing squishies.

Really nice guide there Dutch. Hopefully I will start seeing more vergil players in the pub scene using this guide and build instead of the recommended.

I would like this post, it's extremely well written as well as containing detail... but I'm out of likes for the day. ._>

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Great guide, but just would like to bring up a potential mechanics issue, I was under the impression that CDR doesn't affect abilities with charges, such as Judgment Cut. That is, the recharge time after all charges have been consumed or used is constant regardless of how much CDR a hero possesses (via items, heroic passives, talents, buffs etc.). Can somebody who is well-versed in the mechanics of CDR please elucidate if I'm incorrect on this? The reason I bring this up it could question the viability of CDR items (or the Prodigy talent) on Vergil, taking into account the opportunity cost of other items that could be better suited.

Great guide, but just would like to bring up a potential mechanics issue, I was under the impression that CDR doesn't affect abilities with charges, such as Judgment Cut. That is, the recharge time after all charges have been consumed or used is constant regardless of how much CDR a hero possesses (via items, heroic passives, talents, buffs etc.). Can somebody who is well-versed in the mechanics of CDR please elucidate if I'm incorrect on this? The reason I bring this up it could question the viability of CDR items (or the Prodigy talent) on Vergil, taking into account the opportunity cost of other items that could be better suited.

If you have 0 charges the time to get 1 charge is affected by cdr. After you have 1 charge the following charges are not affected by cdr.

Q cools down fairly quickly as it is, and even if CDR only works on the final charge, that's all that's needed. After spamming 3 Q's, the fourth is almost ready to be casted, and in a sustained teamfight you'll be casting them as soon as they come off CD. Q ticks down very quickly with CDR.

CDR is really helpful for the ult. It has a long enough cooldown that its painfully long to wait for without any CDR, but with the 10%, 20%, and 12% from Blue Gene, Mantle, and Prodigy you're able to use your ult more freely.

I agree. I play him often, but don't see him much otherwise.

It's because he's been nerfed so much. I used to play him (when I used to play AOS), and I remember being one of the first people to truly exploit him (post a few nerfs), proven by decimation I inflicted when I first joined the IH scene. But all that aside, during the last tournament he was getting banned a lot and therefore didn't seem to see much play. The reason is because he's similar in some ways to Cyprus, he inflicts a large amount of damage at once but can't do too much during the ensuing fight. I mean he can take a tiny bit of hp off or give chase but can't properly hurt anyone.

This is an extremely well written Vergil guide and I've been using it to great succes, so thank you! Generally in wealth talent builds can you change out wealth after your first death to swiftness? This might be more of a general question on talent skills but I haven't really found and an answer elsewhere

This is an extremely well written Vergil guide and I've been using it to great succes, so thank you! Generally in wealth talent builds can you change out wealth after your first death to swiftness? This might be more of a general question on talent skills but I haven't really found and an answer elsewhere

You cannot change any talents after your hero has been chosen. If you swap them later in the game they will be that way for the next game you play.

Glad to hear you've been having success with it :)

It's because he's been nerfed so much. I used to play him (when I used to play AOS), and I remember being one of the first people to truly exploit him (post a few nerfs), proven by decimation I inflicted when I first joined the IH scene. But all that aside, during the last tournament he was getting banned a lot and therefore didn't seem to see much play. The reason is because he's similar in some ways to Cyprus, he inflicts a large amount of damage at once but can't do too much during the ensuing fight. I mean he can take a tiny bit of hp off or give chase but can't properly hurt anyone.

Hence the tanky SHM play. Strong CDR will allow you to reel off Q's in relative quick succession, and the survivability provided by a tanky build with SHM allows you to both survive and deal out passive spell damage which is filthy strong in the midgame. This build counteracts Vergil's weaknesses while allowing you to use his ult as a devastating trump card when its needed.

Playing him as a glass cannon ala Cyp and jizzing out all of his spells at once is a sure-fire way to fail and is probably a big reason nobody finds success with him. Hanging around a fight dealing damage with repeated Q and SHM and then still having the ult almost guarantees a midgame teamfight win.

Hence the tanky SHM play. Strong CDR will allow you to reel off Q's in relative quick succession, and the survivability provided by a tanky build with SHM allows you to both survive and deal out passive spell damage which is filthy strong in the midgame. This build counteracts Vergil's weaknesses while allowing you to use his ult as a devastating trump card when its needed.

Playing him as a glass cannon ala Cyp and jizzing out all of his spells at once is a sure-fire way to fail and is probably a big reason nobody finds success with him. Hanging around a fight dealing damage with repeated Q and SHM and then still having the ult almost guarantees a midgame teamfight win.

Q is near useless at times late game due to the spell resistance going around, on tanks and high lifesteal on carries late game. Trying Qing vs LZ...result? Barely any damage. Trying Qing vs Nova...do some decent damage but watch as she flobs yo ass killing you in seconds and leeching back. He's meant to jizz out his spells just before a team fight (with a good engagement) to pretty much leave the enemy team at like 40% and let carries/aoe heroes clean up.

Key point to remember here is midgame.. This build is oriented to the midgame as I have reiterated numerous times. I literally stated in the op that his spell damage falls off hard late game so his role changes from int nuker to support for his aoe weapon damage debuff, so I'm not sure what the point of your post is.

This build is all about abusing the point where your spell damage is very strong relative to the lower enemy HP's and spell res in the early/mid game. High HP's and shm ensures you stick around for a full team fight. This in turn helps create a very slippery slope and will allow your team to snowball very hard.

Playing with the style and build I suggested guarantees you will own the mid game and ruin all but the most tanky heroes.

@ res I have used the recommended builds and got godlikes I reckon its a troll build and I disagree he isn't that underplayed certainly not as underplayed as some other hero such a gara (mainly due to bug) tosh, balrog, lz mk and many others

Me 2, but godlike in pubs is not a big deal xP

What would be the ideal late game build be? Midgame ownage is guaranteed but ive recently been playing in a lot of late game scenarios when the opposing team dont rp and the mins just build up like crazy and i dont really have a clue what to buy or what the comp should be.

@MrGrim

I found this build worked really well for me. Lost Treasure, Ihan, Argus, Yamato, Grav, Yamato, Sell Lost, Buy Yamato, Sell Ihan, Buy Yamato. This gives u a final build of 4 Yamatos, 1 Argus, and 1 Grav. Nice CDR so you can use Vergil ult fairly often, about 3k hp, and ~450 INT.