Noob Maar

Kradlerobber

Hello everyone!!

I started playing this game a week ago. Gettin' better, slowly, but man Maar get's spanked quick. I'm just looking for the tip... err some tips on how to use this toon to his full potential. So far i've been playing a support style (time scale/slow/fireballs/shield), but I rly rly rly want to start creaming on ppl's faces. Nothin personal, I just don't want my stats to be 14 kills, 150 deaths, 180 assists. Items I've been starting with (Lost Treasure), than Ihan Crystal, Argus Crystal, Yamato Cannon (just figured out key mapping) and finally Gravity Edge.

Thanks for any info and I hope to see all ya'll out there.... maybe.... if you don't farm me. :-P

Well move your items around, after lost treasure pop straight to nitro/argus/gravity (order varies depending on the game) ihans good in your third or fourth slot when your looking to add a little extra hp and can afford it but not so much as a starter. (If your unaware you can sell ihan after 10 minutes when its got its stacks, and keep the stacks) Once you get any 2 of the first three I suggest a symphonic seed to majorly crank up what you can do in team fights without worrying about mana costs.

You'll want the teleport talent, to allow you to farm to your full potential early on, throw at the destruction aura and rake in the cash placing it doubles its duration (basically) so toss it down near the end of its life, and try to harrass the guy your laning against with its placement.

Beyond that if your looking to go on killing sprees with marr in pubs, farm like a mofo preferably in mid for as long as you can, then pop your timescale aura and start throwing out fireballs and saps until the other teams dead mixed liberally with other skills as necessary to keep you and your team alive (ie the shield and occasional frostwave) you want to keep your distance, as your sight reduction really screws with enemies and lets you mess them up pretty well from relative safety. If you havent realized yet marrs pretty vulnerable to AAs with stun batons and or tazers so you never wanna let them get close enough to use it.

If you find your dying too much defensively I suggest a small hadron collider and either an organic carapace or an electic mantle. (As a general rule your SHC will be your get out of jail free card, but you can also use it offensively as needed.)

If your unaware, there's a "feature" with marr allowing you to proc two orbs at the same time if you hit both hotkeys at once, it doubles the cd time so it takes just as long if your chaining spells, but its very helpful for a clutch sap or timescale aura.

Personally I don't advocate a yamato on marr as your more about the constant dmg output than the burst but others have their own opinions on the matter.

Talents: Health. Energy regen. Swiftness. Mana. Wealth. Teleport (0/1/5)

Item Build:

Miners goggles + Mana potion -> Ihan crystal if doing well -> Argus Crystal -> Gravity Edge -> DST whenever needed -> Nitrogen -> Parallax Generator/Yamato Reactor/More argus crystals/Starfury/SmallHadronCollider As needed. Remember to sell ihan after it is fully stacked (wait atleast 10 minutes after buying)

Skill order W-E-W-E-Q-R-W-Q-Q-Q-R-E-W-E-Stats-R

Reason for not immediately maxing W/E: mana costs too high. can easily clear waves anyways.

Laning: Take any lane for a pub. just drop a WWW aura on the wave. If you are mid, make sure you drop the edge of the aura on the creepwave, instead of the middle - this allows you to zone the enemy out, if they want to get creeps, they need to stand in the aura. Repeat every wave. If enemy is harrassing you/otherwise moving the creepwave, then just drop the aura in the middle. If the enemy is denying, you will need to waste some mana on W fireballs to assist last hitting. You will run out of mana - use teleport or your ult whenever you need to.

Fighting: Stay behind your tank and spam WW fireballs while maintaining a WWE aura (+%time) around you late game when you can afford the mana. Sap WE if targets get to close, while retreating. Constantly use your skills. shap maar players don't spam enough. You should be nonstop hearing "power of the destroyer" with the occasional "power of the creator". Take out priority targets first (darpa, shadow, nova, dustin, tosh's spectres). Shield allies if you can, but don't worry too much about that.

Splitpushing: Gather your team if you see the enemy elsewhere on the map, and port a creepwave + your team directly onto an enemy tower. Let your team kill the tower while you IMMEDIATELY port back to wherever the enemy is to WW spam and stop them from being able to counter push.

Turtling: In case of losing, just spam WW on approaching creepwaves/at the ramp to the base. its incredibly hard to push against a maar with infinite mana...

go for energy, cd, energy regen , wealth, movement and spelldmg talents, rush ihans energy and energy regen item. then I'd get gravity edge becaus of the movement. You have to be really carefull early game becaus you gonna have only around 500hp an no armor/spellresit. You will just have to outrange them with your redbubble on a place where they would like to be/ to farm the waves from.

If you want to deal dmg, don't just spam ww orbs. Its better to take ww q w q ,ww q w q so you do basicaly double hits with one big and one small red orb.

when people want to escape with pretty low hp, try to cut their way with your frostwave, then throw a ww orb where they wanted to go and they should be dead afterwards :)

go for energy, cd, energy regen , wealth, movement and spelldmg talents, rush ihans energy and energy regen item. then I'd get gravity edge becaus of the movement. You have to be really carefull early game becaus you gonna have only around 500hp an no armor/spellresit. You will just have to outrange them with your redbubble on a place where they would like to be/ to farm the waves from.

Hence wealth into miners goggles start. you have plenty of hp with that + Health talent. else the person your are against can just run up and start AAing you to death, and theres nothing you can do about it.

If you want to deal dmg, don't just spam ww orbs. Its better to take ww q w q ,ww q w q so you do basicaly double hits with one big and one small red orb.

Generally you aren't close enough to hit the enemy with one Red orb fireball. If you are close enough, you should probably be using sap.

when people want to escape with pretty low hp, try to cut their way with your frostwave, then throw a ww orb where they wanted to go and they should be dead afterwards :)

The cast time on frost wave usually makes it not worth while to cast. Just chase with time aura and sap or WW

Hello everyone!!

I started playing this game a week ago. Gettin' better, slowly, but man Maar get's spanked quick. I'm just looking for the tip... err some tips on how to use this toon to his full potential. So far i've been playing a support style (time scale/slow/fireballs/shield), but I rly rly rly want to start creaming on ppl's faces. Nothin personal, I just don't want my stats to be 14 kills, 150 deaths, 180 assists. Items I've been starting with (Lost Treasure), than Ihan Crystal, Argus Crystal, Yamato Cannon (just figured out key mapping) and finally Gravity Edge.

Thanks for any info and I hope to see all ya'll out there.... maybe.... if you don't farm me. :-P

If you're new to the game, and it sounds like you are, I wouldn't recommend Maar as the hero you learn with. A big part of the early learning curve is becoming comfortable with what other heroes are capable of, acclimating yourself to the terrain and critical positioning points, familiarizing yourself with damage types and the fundamentals of str/agil/intel, and learning which items are available and when they're useful. You want to learn on a hero that has a decent amount of health or solid escape mechanism, is ranged, and can farm easily. Basically, you want a hero that doesn't die everytime you underestimate an enemy (which will happen a lot when you're learning) and doesn't depend solely on kills for cash. Maar is easy to feed with and I think your stats reflect that. Personally, I learned on Erekul. If I were doing it today, I'd probably recomend Kerrigan, Nova, or Darpa. Once you have a solid understanding of the game, you can come back to Maar and you'll have a much easier time with him.

If you're set on playing Maar, I'd go with Whale's guide above. The build I use is nearly identical (personally don't use DST and will sometimes switch paralax for Electric Mantle, but really it's splitting hairs because the game is usually over by the time you're getting Nitro anyway). He's also more experienced than I am.

Only thing I'd offer, while you're learning, you might want to go with more defensive talents since he's so fragile to start. I'd recommend Fitness Discipline, Integrity, Zeal, Prodigy, and Swiftness to learn with. You could switch out discipline or integrity for fortify but you will probably need recovery as an extra mana potion that regenerates every 3 minutes early on. You'll also find zeal can be quite useful when you're kiting with sap for a kill. Once you become more comfortable with the map and maar, are better at keeping yourself alive, and begin to grasp the value of being able to quickly move around the map, you can switch to talents built around transport.