Showcasing C Shard rush on Cain

Doom

I tried all of them and disagree. For a start, all of your other options cost more than 3 K (C shard cost). For another, C shard, early game, increases damage way more than all of those. The reason I think it is so effective on Cain is that he doesn't need to worry about attack speed, which is probably the best direction to go for with your first few minerals on most other heroes. Masamune is a much bigger gamble because it makes you that much squishier, it costs more, and it doesn't increase your DPS by that much (extra 35 weapon damage and time bonus vs +30% to all physical damage).

^^i agree explosive retro is way better, lets you utilise your e skill more, does dmg, gives hp, provides the best scalability with just about any other dmg item you buy on cain & does AOE for super fast farming of your 2nd item

maybe cshard second but i def wouldnt do it first

C Shard doesn't amp the damage from ult, no, if that is what you are asking. However, Cain deals the largest burst of AA damage early on, so rushing for a C Shard is really worthwhile IMO.

As for Retrofit, my early-on Cain playstyle involves trying to avoid teamfights (because they are not really his strength) and just trying to find stragglers to pick off.

i think closer to c. shard in terms of feasibility would be explosive retrofit.

roughly same damage output 65 vs 62

its a choice of uniques

35% physical damage amp OR 240HP and an AOE

100minerals difference.

That's the item I forgot :o

Every single person in this replay on your team has the map in the bottom left. So annoying since I play with it in the bottom right. I just decided to get used to it when it changed, but hot damn it actually gives me a headache to try to get used to the difference in this replay. My brain is like WTF !)$IUQJWHIAJDFG DA MAP IS OVUR THURR!?! I'm a nob with a small chob.

its not god aweful. your just super squishy (for a cain), and it doesn't fit with the current gameplay

The main point is it doesn't make sense to rush a physical amp item on a hero that does the most spell damage per AA vs any other hero, with the possible (but probably not) exception of meow meow kitty meow meow.

also a 3k item can't be farmed fast enough for the early aeon team fights that you will be expected to be a large contributor in (as a very strong early game hero), which start at around the 2.5k money mark (korhal/spellbuffer/eternal drive/lightning rod/pulse hammer)

thus you'll be stuck with just a hyperion incinerator when everyone else has lightning rod or pulse hammer - not a position you want to be in.

By far one of the best items in the game and underrated as flob, hands up for Contamination Shard

You realise people think you're kidding, right?

Nobody in this thread understands basic math.

For the record I don't think you should get it as first item, but its definitely good as second choice.

Let's say you have 200 damage cause you get it as a second item. It adds 65 damage, putting your total to 265, and then an additional 35%, given you a total damage output of 357. In other words THAT ONE ITEM ADDS 157 DAMAGE IF YOU GET IT HAVING 200 ALREADY.

IT ADDS 157 DAMAGE for 3000 MINERALS.

LETS SAY YOU GET IT AT 300 DAMAGE INSTEAD, AS 3RD ITEM.

You have: 300 damage.

You add 65, giving you a total of 365.

You add 35%, putting your total output to a whopping 492, in other words boosting your damage with 192 for 3000 minerals.

All this is correct except contam shard atm gives 30%, I think it got buffed from 25%. Personally I still think its slightly up and should be 35% (maybe with a slightly higher cost like 3300 or something), as armor and physical resist is just too easy to get.

Oh it's 30%? I initially wrote 30%, but then people in this thread wrote 35%, so I changed it.

with 30, it's still 144 damage added if you have 200 at first, and 174 if you have 300.

I agree that physical resist is easy to get, but I'm not doing a AA compared to anything else, I'm comparing contam. shard to other AA items, and the fact of the matter is that pound-for-pound it is easily the most cost-efficient damage item in the game.

C shard first is god awful... You realize that most of cain's damage is spell damage right? Especially early game when autoattack damage is low.

It doesn't matter what the majority of Cain's damage is coming from. C shard increases his damage output more than any other item that I have tried (at least for a relatively similar price). Additionally, that is only a good thing. You never want to have all of your damage come from one source, because it would be super easy to counter.

@ Whale: in an inhouse, the farm rates are way slower than in pubs. Towers are watched more diligently, creeps are denied, neutrals contested, and ganks rare (not to mention ineffective because everyone either has a shapton of hp, or escape abilities, or more commonly both, AND there are wards). That's why everyone gets lightning rod: it takes too bloody long to just go straight for a 4K item. There is no such thing as an item rush in an inhouse, there is just "spending the all the money you collected in the first 30 mins of the game to buy this item".