[Penthos - v1.97] - the AA tank

barwick

Summary:

The basic way I play Penthos is early tank & leech for sustainability, mid game AA, and end game tank/AA. He can jungle solo by level 4 reliably with goggles and leeching sabre. His abilities are more "handy" than they are powerful (aka they're situational). His E, in all honesty, is bleh at best I've found, especially at lower levels.

The Details:

Okay, so, right out of the gate, I go 3/3/0 talents. Might, Cunning, Fury, and Fitness, Discipline, and Integrity. I'm considering switching Cunning for Bloodthirst, just because his spell damage really isn't what wins him fights, his spell effects do. If you play him a lot, you may also notice he's slow as molasses with this build, relying on his W (that just got a casting range nerf) to get anywhere fast. So you may even want to ditch Cunning and Bloodthirst in favor of Swiftness or Zeal. Lots of options here, but his Q does a good job of locking people down to pound on them for the chase.

Skills:

W and Q are your bread and butter. Your E is virtually useless early game, I'll often max Y before I max E even.

WQWQW RWQQY RYYEE REE

The Build:

Right off the bat I buy an :EmeraldMox: (Emerald Mox), get out there and hit the first jungle. Try to get your team to let you get enough kills there to afford the 325 minerals you need to complete the Miners Goggles (no picture). Sometimes you'll need to take a firebat too, which is ok, cause you're about to base anyhow. Buy the Goggles, then run your butt back to the lane. Farm for a bit, playing it safe, and rush for another 700 minerals so you can afford a Leeching Sabre (again, no picture... what's up?)

Once you have the goggles and sabre, you should be able to jungle to your heart's content (probably level 4 at this point). Use your W like you have infinite orbs (because, well, you do). You're in the back field, you don't need to worry about saving up a W, so use them, making sure you hit all 3 of them when you can.

After you jungle 2 more times, you PROBABLY have enough to buy a :ZergSymbiosis: (Zerg Symbiosis). Teleport back to base and buy it. You now have 25% life steal, which will let you jungle like a madman, and possibly help out in a gank here and there (remember, use your Q to slow them down, it slows just as much at level 1 as it does at level 4, and that's its primary benefit in a team fight). Keep farming until you can afford a :SuperheatedMantle: (Superheated Mantle). Trust me, the aura is cool to have up until super late game, but the best thing about it is, it's +7 armor, which is huge early game. Once you have this, you've got some pretty good physical resist, and with your W, can farm like nobody's business. If the enemy isn't being sneaky, requiring you to jump into team fights, you can just jungle for a long long while. Once you're level 6, you *can* solo aeon with your mantle, sabre, and zerg symbiosis. But you MUST *only* use your Q on him. It slows him down significantly so you don't take as much damage (and hint: later on it works on towers too, to slow down their fire rate).

If you're jungling well, you should be a level or two higher than everyone else in not too long. Keep farming again, ideally not having to jump into a team fight until you can afford a :PneumatizedCloak: (Pneumatized Cloak). This will give you pretty good attack speed, but still not ideal for team fights. Again, keep at it, work your way up to a :TimeSplitter: (Time Splitter). Once you have this, you can do some serious damage in a team fight *if necessary*. BUT, you won't be as good as you can be in a team fight until you have enough money to morph your Zerg Symbiosis into a :GluttonsBite: (Glutton's Bite). Put this sucker on hotkey Z (or whatever you can) to make SURE it's easily accessible, it's going to come in super handy. It's got a 20 second cooldown, so don't be afraid to use it to heal up when it's safe.

NOW, you're probably ahead of the rest of the pack and can start getting some kills. Jungle and farm whenever possible. Gank, whatever, just play the game. From here on out, it's situational what you get next, but 90% of the time, after I have the Time Splitter, I'm going for the :ForceofEntropy: (Force of Entropy). Probably best to buy the Xel Naga Carapace in the recipe first, rather than the Pulse Hammer, just cause you're only at around 1800-1900 HP at this point, and that extra 430 health goes a long way. You don't really need to KILL them at this point, you need to survive and scare them into being dodgy in team fights. Your AoE helps with this.

After you have the FoE, I'll usually be doing well enough on money that I can buy an :IhanCrystal: (Ihan Crystal). You'll want this now so you can sell it later after at least 10 minutes have passed, and the stacks stay with you (aka they're permanent). Honestly, this is a great item for almost any character (I think). Penthos' Int scaling sucks, but every little bit helps, and the extra permanent 350 health that sticks after all stacks are on you is really nice to have.

Next, I'm *probably* shooting for the Sliptide Scythe (annnnnnd another no picture :( ). It'll give you some spell resist plus finish your agility up so you're definitely at max attack speed now. This should put you around 80% ish physical resist, and 39% passive spell resist, plus the active resist from the scythe when you attack... which you do a lot. Depending where the game is at, you can upgrade your Glutton's Bite to a :DarwinsMight: (Darwin's Might) (bonus HP, life leech, AND added weapon damage) , or if you find yourself pushing waves across the field, you can opt for the :ExplosiveRetrofit: (Explosive Retrofit) first. This is SUPER duper handy for cleaning and pushing waves.

After that, it's situational. If they have a lot of spell damage heroes, you may bypass the Explosive Retrofit and get yourself a :SpellBuffer: (Spell Buffer). If they don't, and have AA instead, sell the Superheated Mantle and get a :BarbedPlating: (Barbed Plating). As a matter of fact, usually late game it's a good idea to sell the Superheated Mantle and get a barbed, it's more armor, and less HP, but it reflects damage, which is awesome.

The final build should have a base of 5 items, plus one situational item or variability on these items depending on the situation:

:BarbedPlating::TimeSplitter::ForceofEntropy::DarwinsMight: {no picture: Sliptide Scythe} , :ExplosiveRetrofit:

As I said before, when in team fights, use your Q liberally. It's super handy.

Edit: 4/28/13 - Lately I've been bypassing the explosive retrofit or spell buffer as my 6th item in favor of the Galactic Defender (sorry, no picture). This gives you more passive spell resist than you normally would have, but ALSO gives you +80 damage, which is huge. You should be high 300's on damage with potions, etc.

Man this guide works very well, i approve of this guide a lot.

i believe the format of it was not very friendly to the eyes, but other then that good job

Yeah I'm not quite sure how to change the format any different, I tried, but failed :(

Any ideas? Or can anyone help me format it?

i like this build quite a bit, except the only weakness is that he has low spell resist and so it is often advisable to have somebody in you team get spell buffer for you and then you can buy sliptide or with aa carries barbed. I have found that having sliptide and the spell buffer buff works really well.

so end build is Sliptide (for SHM)>timesplitter>FOE>Darwin>explosive retrofit>situational (can either be barbed for aa carries or more resist etc..)

similar to your but if you can get to max attack speed then having sliptide makes you a whole lot harder to kill. Also i think you can gain the buffs off attacking your own creep, if i am not mistaken, so you can do that before you enter a fight to enter with already more resist.

Lately it's been pretty rare that I get the explosive retrofit. I've just been going with a spell buffer for a while, but actually just changed that to a galactic defender. Not as much resist, but enough, and the extra shields is dual effective vs both AA and spells.

• 2 weeks later...

Few updates, won't update the main guide just yet (no time) but things to think about:

I've played a few pubs lately where our team just had a ton of int/aa heroes... no clue why, but nobody went tank. So, in that case, if you need to be the main tank (or even just be a backup/extra tank), you might consider going right for an Aggressor's guise instead of the Time Splitter. Your Q still slows them, and you won't attack as fast yet, but if you're being forced into team fights, that extra HP (and the cloak to break their attack cycle) will be critical.

Few updates, won't update the main guide just yet (no time) but things to think about:

I've played a few pubs lately where our team just had a ton of int/aa heroes... no clue why, but nobody went tank. So, in that case, if you need to be the main tank (or even just be a backup/extra tank), you might consider going right for an Aggressor's guise instead of the Time Splitter. Your Q still slows them, and you won't attack as fast yet, but if you're being forced into team fights, that extra HP (and the cloak to break their attack cycle) will be critical.

I think it's better to go, for a tank:

- Aggressor's Guise

- Nitrogen Refit

- Superheated Mantle / Barbed Plating / Spell Buffer / Organic Carapace (lategame)

- Darwin's Might

- Sliptyde Scythe

- Galactic Defender

I think it's better to go, for a tank:

- Aggressor's Guise

- Nitrogen Refit

- Superheated Mantle / Barbed Plating / Spell Buffer / Organic Carapace (lategame)

- Darwin's Might

- Sliptyde Scythe

- Galactic Defender

If you put them in order of things to buy first, I think you can still rush to the superheated mantle, because nobody's really "tanky enough" early game that they're going to make or break an entire fight. And, it's 7 armor, which is huge for being tanky. Working towards darwin's might I agree, once you have moderate attack speed, you can just walk into brine's goink, have your team follow behind you, let the enemy team focus you, activate the glutton's, hit your Q and get a kill on the enemy's AA, and W out.

Defender is so handy with leech too... it's like a free second chance... get hit down to 1/2 health, activate it, leech back to full health while shields go away, continue.

If you put them in order of things to buy first, I think you can still rush to the superheated mantle, because nobody's really "tanky enough" early game that they're going to make or break an entire fight. And, it's 7 armor, which is huge for being tanky. Working towards darwin's might I agree, once you have moderate attack speed, you can just walk into brine's goink, have your team follow behind you, let the enemy team focus you, activate the glutton's, hit your Q and get a kill on the enemy's AA, and W out.

Defender is so handy with leech too... it's like a free second chance... get hit down to 1/2 health, activate it, leech back to full health while shields go away, continue.

It's the same build, except replacing a few items later on.

For teamfights, I prefer flanks. Get behind, leap towards the supports and ranged DPS from behind with W, Qing one of them to get them slowed. Enemy team rushes to you - activate R, hit W on them and go crazy with Q and AAs. Teamwipe.

this is one of the best build out there, and having a replay certainly gives this more credit, but i really don't like Penthos design, looks awkward, otherwise i would be playing him for sure.

Thanks. I should post some other replays... I wonder... without just spamming replays and forgetting which is which, hmm...

My last game, kinda representative of what Penthos is good at... jungling, being in random places, finding out where the enemy isn't, and taking free towers by walking into them with your Q while your creeps mop up the one tower shot every few seconds (because it's slowed...)

http://drop.sc/337467

I really think of him a bit like Leo, and play them both the same way - just charge in, deal massive AoE while tanking some, don't let runners escape and get at least one kill before going out. W in, attack one person, Q them, activate R, W onto them again, Q them AGAIN and finish it off with another W. Well, you don't really need that FULL combo, but for certain heroes it can help.

I agree with your goal - penthos as tanky AA, which is good way to play him, but I don't really agree with your item build. What makes him tanky is his E, which can increase his effective hp a lot if used correctly. But to do so u need this ability available as often as possible and be able to use it. So what Penthos really need is: health and basic resistance, weapon speed, cooldown reduction and some protection from cc and silence. So I would consider as core items for him: Parallax, Aggressor Guise, Scythe Sliptide, Force of Entropy, Lighting Rod/Pyre/Star's Fury. Nice if one of your teammates would get CoA as well.