Something constantly overlooked in MOBAs

MOTHER

I noticed a lot of people are quick to say X hero is OP, simply because they are losing to that hero constantly. What I think people overlook is knowing which fights to pick. Flight or fight so to speak. The more you play the better you are at figuring out your chances in any fight. Some heroes are simply better against others but this is balanced by them being weaker against another hero. This is a team game and balance inevitably must be achieved on a team 5v5 level more importantly than a 1v1 level. Just like it is important to take the time to learn how to kill or assist in killing with your hero, it takes also a lot of time to learn how not to die with your hero. These things simply differ from hero to hero and it takes many matches to figure out a hero and all his/her good and bad match ups.

I've been playing AoS for quite some time now and I honestly say that while it isn't completely balanced, but most everything can be countered and every counter has a counter. The more I learned the game, the more I realized the balance and depth it actually has which can be utterly lost on a raging newbie who keeps getting one-shot by Raynor or Cyprus.

What do you mean "Something constantly overlooked in mobas" as some sort of a generalisation? "AoS" does not equal *all mobas*, and you probably only have experience with AoS, correct? In other words that statement means nothing.

Which is also the reason you think things are "balanced" in AoS - because you have no idea what balance is. You just assume it's balanced because you're being told so, and "I can do pretty well with every hero in a pub, so its probably balanced".

I've been playing Mobas for a long time, starting with Aeon of Strife and then DotA (when Eul was still making it, before it became hugely popular and then after), I play DotA 2 and AoS now and I've dabbled with the others like HoN and LoL. I'm quite savvy when it comes to this style of game. Do not make assumptions about my character.

I also did not claim that AoS is balanced, far from it, but I find most people's "X is OP" comments to be misinformed. If they just took the time to learn the game, they might think otherwise.

Well I will agree that most people are rather idiotic when it comes to balance, but that has nothing to do with other mobas than AoS. I don't know about whining in LoL atm, since I haven't followed scene since I was lowbie ranked long time ago; but in DotA there is significant less whining - and most importantly, the developers/Icefrog doesn't base the game on pubs, but on two things: The competitive scene, and personal input from high level players who he regularly corresponds with.

The problem with AoS is that the advice, and balance-thoughts of pubgames are being heeded, and the game changed because of it. Bear in mind that I'm not saying all pub-players are bad, far from it, but the thoughts of anyone outside the competitive environment are inherently less valid, and only serve to ruin the game further.

Well I haven't been playing AoS long enough to recognize the problem you just mentioned but in any competitive game like fighting games (Street Fighter comes to mind) and MOBAs, balance-thoughts from competitive players should be given precedence naturally, because of their keener understanding of the game if nothing else. However, I wouldn't go as far as saying that pub-opinions should be ignored completely. I think a balance must be achieved between catering to the competitive scene and pubs, especially in the early development stages of a game so that it may grow at least until the community is big enough or old enough.

In essence, we are actually in agreement you and I.

You have to realise this isn't the "Early stages" of development of Aeon of Storms(Formerly known as Storm of the Imperial Sanctum) - it has been around for now, what, 3 years(?). I'm a European player, been around since the very first iteration of this custom game after SC2's release, and the problem has existed since the beginning. Nothing has changed. That is the biggest problem, and why, historically, the competitive players leave at certain patches causing major overhauls that weren't asked for.

I don't know how long you've been around, but this was the case with the transition from 3.0 to 4.0, and then 4.0 to 5.0 EU lost upwards of ~30-40 regular inhouse players each time, effectively reducing the competitive community to a fraction of its former size, forcing a rebuilding process for no other reason than the constant need to reinvent the game on the part of the developers.

Then, as I said, the balance changes, while not majorly, based somewhat on non-competitive players. Again I stress that "public players" may indeed be extremely good individual skill-wise, but there is a massive jump from a public game to an inhouse game, and the difference in mindset required is massive.

I apologise for jumping the gun, my prejudice was rooted in the fact that I simply don't know you, to be frank. No cause to infer what I did, I suppose, so I'm sorry about that.

eh. pub opinion is usually only impactfully taken in account if someone/a few ppl on mumble can see the legitimacy of the claim. or if we feel we can reach a compromise that helps the pub complaint without affecting inhouse play. (with the possible exception of a mass outcry - say like, 10 different ppl all suddenly complaining about something after a patch that affects it)

and ya, i'd like to think we have made pretty good progress since 3.0~ times

Pubs are a gathering of people who have anger issues and get together to play their favorite carries. I <3 games where everyone picks a carry and I have to go tank (every game). That's why I've learned to play support because- wait wtf does this have to do with original post? I dunno, but everything said besides my post is cool. Rum and coke... I should go to bed...

Not until I play a few pubs and feed the inevitable nova/shadow combo that will undoubtedly be in game.

P.S. I was told Brine is OP earlier today in a pub match, lets nerf him. (I was brine and I was 2-0-4, so OP.)