Sotis 4.x?

phantom

Hi, I'm an ex-Sotis player who left when the game was updated to version 5. I'm just wondering if anyone has a version of Sotis 4.x they could upload? I really, really want to play it for nostalgia's sake. I'm not proud to say I've played over a 1000 hours of Dota 2 - but I would really like to play the game that got me into Dota in the first place.

Better yet, what made you enjoy 4.0, period? It was the end of the golden age of the game, and though v5.0 was worse still, the only good things that came from v3 to v4 change were timescale (now very different, and while stronger, not as fun to play around with, and considerably less in quantity), items with actives (I believe prior to that, only consumables, Chrono Dagger and sanctum relic were active) and the implementation of Ludicrous kills (the announcer would not say anything past monster kill before v3-v4 transition).

When you compare that to the temporary (and in some cases not even temporary) removal of most heroes, toxi, boros, and lz become hugely OP, pyre, psyonic lasher, and coat of arms become ludicrously op, massive amounts of lag, especially with the help of tassidar, emerged for the first time, teleport-bola nonsense, the change of Warp Shard to Space Time Capsules (which became Transporters later on, before their removal), Mandrake changes, Jackson changes, Zeratul changes, Bio becoming a stupid PoS with a 13 second silence (and he was sooooo fun in v3, I am still mad at Ekco for that), Chrono Dagger removal (or was that v5....? either way, one of the worst flobing choices ever made in this game......), etc, etc,etc.

I can go on for days about how v4 had wrecked the game, then v5 wrecked it further, and now with v6 we are finally in a relatively good place again (though if you ask me, everything recent has been a downward spiral. I mean Queen, Medic, Justicar, new Kerrigan, pentos, they are a new trend for heroes that just annoy the skin off of everyone. Especially the last 4, wtf was everyone smoking when they implemented these!?!?!?)

Your best bet is to ask Revolution (NA) if you want to play the old version. I believe he made enough bug fixes to make it playable.

He told me at some point that at least his version 2 copy became even more bugged after HotS was released. His version 4 copy was never fully fixed and is also likely worse now as well.

I liked that it combined the best aspects of the three games - the speed of HoN, the buybacks, hard carrys, xp and leveling of Dota, and the scaling of LoL. Of course it had drawbacks - the small hero pool, mirror matchups, leavers and the small map, but the fast paced action and being able to stomp with any hero was fun enough to look past that stuff. I don't like the direction the game took - it moved from its Dota roots into more of an LoL clone, and lost it's originality in the process. I really, really don't like the design of LoL, and so inherently, the design of AoS.

I like all heroes being powerful. I know LoL players, when they try Dota, note that the heroes are all so much stronger. I prefer that. Boros with his bola was so fun >:). He was like Pudge and Jugg combined into one hero. Sickest hero ever. Or Jackson with blink + TPI. flob, those were the days. Someone makes a wrong move away from their team and bam, burst down in a few seconds. The pace was so fast too that it took split second thinking and split-second reaction times and you had to be constantly on edge. I just really enjoyed it. 4.2 toxi was a total pain in the ass, but after he was nerfed, the game was pretty sweet.

Does Revolution have a copy uploaded? How would I get into contact with him? I'm NA. Does he go in the Sotis lobby on SC2 (is that still around)?

On a side note, the old forums were nicer too imo, to be frank. They suited the theme of the game better. And remember all the noobs who used to post in suggestions? Those were pretty funny. These forums don't seem to have as much traffic as that one did.

I liked that it combined the best aspects of the three games - the speed of HoN, the buybacks, hard carrys, xp and leveling of Dota, and the scaling of LoL. Of course it had drawbacks - the small hero pool, mirror matchups, leavers and the small map, but the fast paced action and being able to stomp with any hero was fun enough to look past that stuff.

"4.0", "fast-paced" and "speed" didn't go together. 4.0 was the version which slowed down the game the most(relative to the previous version). It increased map size(iirc), implemented bullet time and took game speed down a notch from Fastest to Faster. There were a fair bit of complaints about 4.0 being way too slow paced back when it first came out.

don't like the direction the game took - it moved from its Dota roots into more of an LoL clone, and lost it's originality in the process.

I don't really think copying from DotA is more original than copying from LoL. I do miss some of the items though.

As in the actual speed of everything. I didn't play 3.x, but 4.x was definitely faster than the current version. I kinda liked the hard carry strats - if you let kerri farm for 40 minutes straight, you deserve to lose.

Yeah, if you prefer LoL to Dota, then you'd prefer current Sotis to the 4.x Sotis. I don't, so I don't like the new version. Level 18 cap? zzz why even have levels? Levels too unfair and OP, levels anti-fun, nerf now!

I liked that it combined the best aspects of the three games - the speed of HoN, the buybacks, hard carrys, xp and leveling of Dota, and the scaling of LoL. Of course it had drawbacks - the small hero pool, mirror matchups, leavers and the small map, but the fast paced action and being able to stomp with any hero was fun enough to look past that stuff. I don't like the direction the game took - it moved from its Dota roots into more of an LoL clone, and lost it's originality in the process. I really, really don't like the design of LoL, and so inherently, the design of AoS.

I like all heroes being powerful. I know LoL players, when they try Dota, note that the heroes are all so much stronger. I prefer that. Boros with his bola was so fun >:). He was like Pudge and Jugg combined into one hero. Sickest hero ever. Or Jackson with blink + TPI. flob, those were the days. Someone makes a wrong move away from their team and bam, burst down in a few seconds. The pace was so fast too that it took split second thinking and split-second reaction times and you had to be constantly on edge. I just really enjoyed it. 4.2 toxi was a total pain in the ass, but after he was nerfed, the game was pretty sweet.

Does Revolution have a copy uploaded? How would I get into contact with him? I'm NA. Does he go in the Sotis lobby on SC2 (is that still around)?

On a side note, the old forums were nicer too imo, to be frank. They suited the theme of the game better. And remember all the noobs who used to post in suggestions? Those were pretty funny. These forums don't seem to have as much traffic as that one did.

Well I can agree with some you are saying. I played Dota a bit then Sotis a bit Lol a lot Aos a lot and Dota 2 a little bit. With this said I don't notice heros are stronger in Dota ( Maybe in comparison with other heros from same game) but not stronger

In my opinion the "best" thing about the 4.X era was not the game itself, but rather the people I played with. I was always interested in seeing the rivalries and the little communities that challenged the larger group, and then afterwards they would join up and just Inhouse daily. It was always fun playing vs the Tier 1 players or the old-school legends (NA or EU) from 1.X or 2.X that would randomly pop up.

I was never the one of the "best" players and at my peak I was maybe Tier 2, but I had fun with the community and that in itself made my SotIS days worth it.

Just my take on why I think 4.X was the best for me anyways.

In my opinion the "best" thing about the 4.X era was not the game itself, but rather the people I played with. I was always interested in seeing the rivalries and the little communities that challenged the larger group, and then afterwards they would join up and just Inhouse daily. It was always fun playing vs the Tier 1 players or the old-school legends (NA or EU) from 1.X or 2.X that would randomly pop up.

I was never the one of the "best" players and at my peak I was maybe Tier 2, but I had fun with the community and that in itself made my SotIS days worth it.

Just my take on why I think 4.X was the best for me anyways.

What you talking about, InspireZZ, you noobie! You didn't play Sotis, you only hosted tournaments.

I loved DST when you could call down a Thor that could lock someone down for 3-4 seconds... Seems like now there is far less micro management in terms of item actives... Or at the very least, the micro'ing has been shifted to individual heroes and their abilities (Raynor's Raiders, Tosh's spectres etc.). I also loved the item that let you call down a Tank that could hit with massive dmg from long distances and the beacon marines with different abilities for early lane harassing. It seems that although there were imbalances, because everyone had access to these, the game became inherently balanced. Man I miss some of that action...

Dev's looked at the chaos of 2.x, 3.x in the wrong way... not all of it was bad. It allowed good players to elevate their game to further lvls and some of it should be brought back IMO.

EDIT: It was not DST that allowed you to call down Thor... it was something else...

EDIT: Small Hadron Collider was also an awesome weapon for Int heroes- I was sad to see that one go. It had a very cool dmg concept that should come back.

• 2 weeks later...

I just liked when you had portraits from allies on left side of screen with thier current hp/ep bar status and even you could see which from their spells they had on CD or ready to use.

I don't know why was this feature removed. And I don't know what version it was.