In memorian to our friend Jackson

zeeeend

The once might and feared initiator.

Whose powers could turn the tide in the most heated of battles,

and did so consecutively.

Has been gone for long, most of us wont recall the last time he saw action in the sanctum...

Some might have never seen him in action as he lived in withdrawn after patch V1.67.

And even though he was banned last tournament from at least one game, I can only assume it was a tribute to this hero.

So as of today he's declared MIA. Until the Gods of Balance will grant him new strength.

Last 3 patches involving jackson

- Warp Shard: Mineral Cost increased to 1850 from 1750.

Roulette.Jackson

Reactive Armor

- Shield Conversion increased to 15% of Spell Damage from 13.

- Shield Duration reduced to 10 from 20.

Roulette.Jackson

- Mass Effect Damage increased 150/300/450 (+50% INT) from 100/200/300 (+50% INT).

Roulette.Jackson

- Mass Effect now has a 1 second cast time.

- Optic Beam Cooldown reduced to 15/14/13/12 seconds from 16.

His optic beam q

Is just plain weak, 5 seconds of single target charge with 30/50/70/90 dps for a 70/130/190/250 explosion (both + 50% int)

This has a range of 8, meaning if you have a target for 5 seconds he gets(see spoiler for maths) 540 dmg +50% int at lvl 4 + and a 250 aeo explosion + 50% int. This is incredible weak for a 5 second channel. As he can outdps you with just auto attacking.

This abl also sucks for farming as its single target with a weak explosion, you can increase q for a bigger explosion but if the target dies before explosion the channel is canceled and no explosion. And increasing his q means only siege-creeps can survive the 5 second channel. So worthless.

His magnetic presence is meh.

Its 10/15/20/25 movement and weaponspeed decrease in a 3.5 unit radius(instantly removed when leaving 3.5 radius. Meaning every ranged dps (except grunty) wont notice it if they kite you.

Lets compare this to items

Chilling artifact 35% weaponspeed decrease in a 8 unit radius for 2925

Darksteel titan 50% movementspeed decrease for 2,8k

Force of entropy 35% movement and weaponspeed decrease for 3,9k

Meaning this skill is at best 10% weaker and in a 4.5 smaller range.

His magnetic link e

The only usefull skill atm.

60/90/120/150 dmg on impact and brake in a 4 range. With a silence whilst linked and a 1 second stun on brake.

His ulti

1 second channel for a 5 range suck 150/300/450 +50 int dmg with 0.9/1.1./1.3 second stun

The addition of channeltime made this hero worthless. With the average 2.8 movementspeed he wont be able to catch anyone in his ulti if they just walk away from him. So he relies on warpshard/dial either can make him a treat if he didn't had to wait 1 second on his location for the ulti to happen. With the channel he has to be in a 2 unit range of a enemy or they can just run away(2.8 movement even with max w). And he has no farm early all game so getting that shard/dial takes forever.

Now lets compare it to drake whose ulti is the only one comparable (channel and 5 range aeo).

1.x(doesn't say i think 1.2 or 1,25 as its slightly longer than jacksons) second channel for a 5 range 1.25 stun 300/450/600 + 100% int dmg and a 3 second 50 % movementspeed slow.

Ignoring the obvious hp/mana bonus and burrow. Its lvl 1 ulti is as good or better in then the lvl 2 ulti from jackson : 300 dmg 1.1 stun 1 channeltime vs 300 dmg 1.25 stun 1.x channeltime. The only thing in jacksons favour is the suck it makes it easier for nukers (cow/rancor/maar) to deal dmg to a whole team.

His heroic passive:

Shield Conversion 15% of Spell Damage converted as shields for 10 seconds

Nice in theory but with the weak q and impossible to land ulti hard to discuss true worth.

TL;DR:

I'm sure we can see this hero shine again, because now he struggles to farm to that elusive 4k before his ulti gets viable. And just gets kitted silly by ranged dps or 1 shotted hard once he blinks in without shc. As he isn't played pub or ih and is up he needs a buff.

If the Balance Gods would grant him:

Remove ulti channel or decrease to 0.25, so he can make use of just dial/shard.

Make q explode if target dies before channel ends, so he can has some farming

Increase w range to 5, so it matches with his ulti range

He would be playable, because he's useless now in both pub and ih**

**not sure if he's not used NA ih but i can't imagine

*For those of you who disagree

Sure his q has a 10% amp every second this means:

30/33/36/39/42

50/55/60/65/70

70/77/84/91/98

90/99/108/117/126

I could agree with q change, and maybe his w change. But the whole reason the ulti was nerfed is that because it was just too good, and then when you got SHC it was absurd that he could SHC in for one second stun, Ulti for 1 second stun, and e for and other 4 seconds of silence then another 1 second of stun. (1+1+4+1=7) 7 Seconds of Aoe cc that there was no real counter to, because if you split up enough to avoid that then the other team can just pick your team off 1 at a time.

While i will agree that jackson is semi-weak early game, he is still strong late game if he can get there. Im not sure that removing the channel time on his ult is the solution.

I could agree with q change, and maybe his w change. But the whole reason the ulti was nerfed is that because it was just too good, and then when you got SHC it was absurd that he could SHC in for one second stun, Ulti for 1 second stun, and e for and other 4 seconds of silence then another 1 second of stun. (1+1+4+1=7) 7 Seconds of Aoe cc that there was no real counter to, because if you split up enough to avoid that then the other team can just pick your team off 1 at a time.

While i will agree that jackson is semi-weak early game, he is still strong late game if he can get there. Im not sure that removing the channel time on his ult is the solution.

It hasn't changed shap. The only thing changed is he needs shc to pull that 7 seconds of aeo cc off instead of just warpshard for 6.

If he uses shc and activates ulti he still gets that 1 second shc stun and 1 second ulti stun because he can channel ulti in the shc stun. It made no difference whatsoever to that 7 seconds aeo.

It hasn't changed shap. The only thing changed is he needs shc to pull that 7 seconds of aeo cc off instead of just warpshard for 6.

If he uses shc and activates ulti he still gets that 1 second shc stun and 1 second ulti stun because he can channel ulti in the shc stun. It made no difference whatsoever to that 7 seconds aeo.

1 second of channel time gives enemies a chance to cc him/stop his ult from going off whereas before it was impossible to stop him from pulling his combo off.

1 second of channel time gives enemies a chance to cc him/stop his ult from going off whereas before it was impossible to stop him from pulling his combo off.

You´re saying he can get 7 seconds of cc, the only thing changed for that 7 seconds to happen is that he channels during shc stun instead of waits before ulties.

If there are enemies outside that 5 range dangerzone they could always taser him preventing that 7 seconds.

The 6 seconds CC (instant ulti after shc shc isn't needed for this shard works aswell) wasn't blockable but now is during that 1 second channel if you were outside 5 range.

I really think people discount jackson because he isnt as strong as he used to be, ive played a few in houses recently where i played jackson, is he the best initiator in game anymore? no, but he is still very very strong in certain team comps, i had success with a rory jakk summers zera line up, it worked very very well. we won.

I agree with change in His Q. Make it explode if target dies and possibly buff to the explosion damage so his Q can be used strategically.

Now regarding his ulti and his under-used in pub observation:

His ulti is fine as-is - quiestman explained well as to how he was too goo before with no cast time. His ability to cripple entire team when they are clumped together is the most devastating in the game, even greater than that of drake who has to land lance to be pull off most effective combo. Drake stuns and slows. Jackson stuns slows and silences.

A well executed Jackson combo will completely change outcome of any teamfight.

Going onto pub games, you rarely see Jackson because he is one of the most team-dependent hero in the game, perhaps as much dependent as Geneva. At least Geneva can farm/sustain lanes better than Jackson...

Wroongness is very present with math

"This has a range of 8, meaning if you have a target for 5 seconds he gets(see spoiler for maths) 540 dmg +50% int at lvl 4 + and a 250 aeo explosion + 50% int. This is incredible weak for a 5 second channel. As he can outdps you with just auto attacking."

Not at all. Jackson's Optic Beam has 50% INT scaling on EACH TICK, not totalled and distributed over the 5 seconds.

Therefore his possible damage output alone is 1040 [+450% INT] Spell Damage... that sounds decent, ESPECIALLY because...

He forces the entire enemy team to clump up! That allows the rest of his team to throw AoE down on Jackson as Mass Effect occurs-- causing all enemies to take massive damage.

[Oh, and you can't escape because you've been silenced after being stunned for almost 1.5 seconds.]

I agree that Q could really use a utility buff to explode "whenever the link is broken" opposed to "after completing 5 seconds of channeling"; but that's about it.

They should just bring back the original Jackson, he was awesome. His beam did *AoE damage*, and was not time limited (no explosion), his slow worked on both movement and weapon speed AND scaled with STR, and his ultimate was an AoE cast that cloaked everyone affected for a few seconds, then did damage at the end based on how many heros/creeps were hit (more hits = more dmg) and how close they were at the end.

Also, more importantly, warp shards were single use and only cost 75 minerals each.

Jackson I think is in a pretty decent spot right now.. Of course he isn't popular in pubs because he is a team fight hero allowing his teammates to set up their skills over his to get kills. He isn't a killer or a 1v1 hero so people don't like him in pubs. In inhouses though jackson is pretty strong and still pretty scary because his ult can change games.

• 4 weeks later...

build him as "slowdowner"

that is my full item build

:nitogenretrofid: :SuperheatedMantle: :smallhadroincollider: :darkstealtitan:

now it really depends on hero conclusion

way 1

:ElectricMantle::YamatoReactor:

way 2

:ArgusCrystal: or :gravityedge: :BarbedPlating: depends again :/ (get edge if your opponents have some spell resist otherwise argus)

way 3

:ArgusCrystal::YamatoReactor: (for better players)

walk or teleport near him slow him meeeega down,ulti,magnetic link,and optic beam activeate yamato and free kill.You also can make your team fed if you have cd then walk near the enemie and he will get lots of slowdown(nitogen because of superheated your w and darksteal if he attacks you=seems like 0,01 movespeed and your mates can have fun)

No I played with Smuma last week. Well after his epic 1v1. He built Jackson with blue gene first item, claiming that Jackson is a good killer. He also didn't like my Maar build, I told him I was copying Whale's one and he said Whale is a good player with bad builds lol.

Btw I used Maar teleport to take us to the enemy pool. We died and Smuma RQ over that one death. I troll as Maar a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

some time ago i did many pub games testing jackson...jackson relies a lot on good teammates even on laning phase so basically pub NONPREMADE is q good way to see him stand by himself on different scenarios.

IMO depending on gear end enemy Q is still kind of viable early game....its late game that its Q falls behind to being nearly useless

W still cool and vs melee aa it stacks nicelly with chilling artifact and other anti aa gear....hell once i even added that intel item that slows attack speed on hit for trolling a certain shadow....but oh well....W is still good and its passive so I don´t think it should get too good...it even helps the "slow movement" based jackson build that someone posted earlier....its quite tanky and can support a team even if cant get kills most of the time(but thats more for inhouses)

E....still cool....nothing to be said here

R....like someone said the previous ulti was just too good.....and if you remember the old days when it would cloak an entire team lol....good old OP days...his ulti right now does what its supposted to do....combined with W,, E and gear pulling enemies towards yourself makes it even harder for them to get away...it adds damage and particularly for teamplay it makes all enemies clustered so your team can throw all their area of effect blindfolded and still hit lol...kerry boomerang + ulti spam, tassadar slash, tychus granades, queen banelings + ultra stun, jakk minefield + stunshot, you name it....everythong seems sexier with the ultimate in teamfights...there is like no way you can make this do more damage or extra effect without making it op for 5v5 ih games

conclusion: balancing of jackson should be made based on this Q. Reworking mechanics, more damage, making it aoe ...whatever....but has to be Q cause itll buff jackson alone without making a buff for his entire team(ulti being op)

I've played Jackson ALOT and the biggest problem he has (IMHO) is that he acquires minerals soooooo very slowly. Combine that with the fact that he's item dependent can quickly put him behind the power curve. The best games with Jackson are when 1 player leaves and you get a 100% boost to your passive mineral gain.

It also doesn't help that his attack speed/animation is the slowest in the game which makes it even harder to get that killing blow on creeps for money.

I've played Jackson ALOT and the biggest problem he has (IMHO) is that he acquires minerals soooooo very slowly. Combine that with the fact that he's item dependent can quickly put him behind the power curve. The best games with Jackson are when 1 player leaves and you get a 100% boost to your passive mineral gain.

It also doesn't help that his attack speed/animation is the slowest in the game which makes it even harder to get that killing blow on creeps for money.

Egon gave a slow clap at that statement. Anyways, it's not really the projectile speed that counts for last-hitting. It's the time he takes to shoot after you a-click on something. For example, rory has a relatively slow projectile speed, but I find him way easier to last hit with, than say Dustin, who has instant projectile speed, but needs to slowly turn before shooting. I'd say based on time between attack move and actual attack, LZ is the best last-hitter, if you assume everyone has the exact same damage per AA.

• 2 months later...

Jackson is true garbage now for pub. Not even fun. His IH ability is still strong ONLY because of his ulti and his E combo which can silence and rape a team. However, a Zera bubble has a similar effect....

Here' the problem with Jackson, listen up RED/EKO.

DPS is extremely LOW and made worst by the fact it's channel abilities which require you to position yourself AND tank the damage. His Q should explode when the beam broken for a nominal amount of damage OR you should allow to trigger the explosion by pressing Q again similar to Tycus Q with his passive charges.

His Magnetic slow is totally trash with the small AOE, reduce the slow and increase the AOE.

His E should do some extra damage to put it inline with other casters abilities AND give him a movement speed buff. It's pathetic that you use the E and can't even out run the creep wave to break the link for extra damage.

Finally, his auto attack SPEED and BASE damage should be increased as it's probably one of the lowest due to his items he is required to build.

This brings me to another point, the reason JACKSON is so shapTY now is simply because evasion boots with artful dodger made him extra fast to catch people and gave the ability to break the link o the creep without taking damage. This however, is not in the game anymore, nor is the balancers that gave him mana for life lost. Just the guardian steel which would be retarded on him because there are so many other better items. Finally his BASE movement speed needs to be increased because frankly even with zeal and swiftness he can't do anything with out a impact dial or SHC.

Jackson is an initiator, not damage dealer. His job is to clump all enemies together and silence them, or initiate on single target, and let your team to finish him off. And he is great with that job. He has great synergy with many heroes, especially with AoE casters and Toxi. However I would like to see his Q buff as it deals very low damage, especially late game is completely unnoticeable. It would make him more viable in pubs as well.

Jackson is true garbage now for pub. Not even fun. His IH ability is still strong ONLY because of his ulti and his E combo which can silence and rape a team. However, a Zera bubble has a similar effect....

Here' the problem with Jackson, listen up RED/EKO.

DPS is extremely LOW and made worst by the fact it's channel abilities which require you to position yourself AND tank the damage. His Q should explode when the beam broken for a nominal amount of damage OR you should allow to trigger the explosion by pressing Q again similar to Tycus Q with his passive charges.

His Magnetic slow is totally trash with the small AOE, reduce the slow and increase the AOE.

His E should do some extra damage to put it inline with other casters abilities AND give him a movement speed buff. It's pathetic that you use the E and can't even out run the creep wave to break the link for extra damage.

Finally, his auto attack SPEED and BASE damage should be increased as it's probably one of the lowest due to his items he is required to build.

This brings me to another point, the reason JACKSON is so shapTY now is simply because evasion boots with artful dodger made him extra fast to catch people and gave the ability to break the link o the creep without taking damage. This however, is not in the game anymore, nor is the balancers that gave him mana for life lost. Just the guardian steel which would be retarded on him because there are so many other better items. Finally his BASE movement speed needs to be increased because frankly even with zeal and swiftness he can't do anything with out a impact dial or SHC.

I don't want to be rude but... learn to play before you disgorge all that stupid nonsense, please. You are just a bad played and you don't know how to play Jackson, no one sane enough and with sense about this game would say that he is a bad hero. LOL