Lots Of New Players

lOvOl

SotIS was on the second page in NA for quite a while before the name change and now AoS is very popular and pretty much every pub game has several new players in the game. Unfortunately, there are still a lot of premade crews running around ruining the experience for new players and if something is not done to discourage this behaviour, then it is likely the new players won't continue playing.

Also, I have found that some of the more experienced bad players are way worse to have on your team than many of the total new users. I won a 3v5 against a premade with two first time players on my team and a 2v5 with a first time player as well because the new user players don't know anything about kill death ratios and all that nonsense and are in the game solely to win and support their allies (as I am). This one game I had today I had a Tassadar player I have seen many times before in games who would never stand ground and refused to cross the river and actually attack the other team's base because he "didn't want to die". All he talked about was kill/death ratios and I asked him what his rating was and he said 500 but that the lower your rating the better (hard to believe he could be that dumb considering I have seen him in games for many months). I eventually had to leave for personal reasons at home, but there is no way we possibly would of won anyways because I had a pure tank build on Brine and this guy was the biggest coward I have seen play in a long time and would not even bother to try and kill enemy heroes I would pull to him and our Jackson because he was too afraid to get his hands dirty. Every kill he got that game was pretty much after I had died and softened the other team up and then the few times most of their team was gone he would go off and farm neutrals instead of taking down their base towers when the opportunity presented itself.

Anyways, I think it is great there are a lot of new players but the question arises as to what can be done to discourage pubstomping. Perhaps resetting the ratings and improving the ELO system to seriously discourage pubstompers would be a good start, but in the meantime I guess all anyone can do is ask people do not pubstomp in crews of 4 or 5. 2 is coo, 3 is pushing it, but 4 and 5 man crews with all the new players floating around is just idiotic.

Anyone here agree with any of this?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I completely agree,

The only player i hate in AoS\SotIS is the guy who knows how to play but thinks hes the best and only tries not to die.

I've taught alot of newcomers and it's fun since they are carefree and learn quickly (most of the time)

But the players who know how to play are stubborn so when u tell them to do smtg they refuse.

A real pain if u want to win...

The only solution to this is to take the newbie under your wing and teach them how to play. that is what a friend did to me when i was starting out with sotis back in version 5.0 (yes, that is when i started - i am a new player). we would play solo - 1v1 and then eventually join sotis with my friend. We'd win some, we'd lose some. It was fun, and that's how I started playing sotis. (that guy was chevalier- haven't seen or played with him since 6.0)

For me, sotis, now aos, is a team game. And new gamers will often if not always feel the wrath of the regulars. I mean, these are kids. They lack that level of maturity which is required that they don't rampage out of anger or is able to hold it in and exercise a certain level of control.

The newbies will like aos or hate it. Like a few hours a go. I was using shadow (i posted it as a replay) I was playing against a 5 man team, we were just 3 because a few quit. And I am somewhat experienced with the basics of aos, so it was easy to level the playing field and win. A certain person, I do not know who, being new, kept insulting aos, that it wasn't balanced. Well, shadow is strong.

Aos itself isn't newbie friendly. It is a game which requires constant practice.

May be I can support the no pubstomp with a lot of partymates (after all, i play solo, so I don't have party mates, i just join the pub). But I don't think it is a good idea to not play as a party if your friends are online. That's the reason why we play games. Hehe

And if there is a 3-5 man team in the pub, and it gets so raunchy, why not ask the better players in your server, and flatten those pub stompers. That's what we do at sea last april-june. We'd pub stomp, get stomped, or stomp other pub stompers. :3

---

K, i wrote a lot. simply, different people will like different things and they may or may not agree to your suggestion. Not because it is a bad idea, but because sotis requires a certain level of maturity. it is an aquired taste.

---

imo

When I am on the forum there is always a lot of peoples / posts with good intentions and compation for new users / beginners BUT ingame or on Bnet, reality is completly different : Even players called " experienced " players ( i dont give names here ) are just arrogant and its a perpetual fight of Ego ( " yea im the best you just sucks " " stfu im better than you " et caetera et caetera ... ) . This arrogant behavior ( or bm behavior , decide how you prefer call it ) is especially manifested against new players / new user.

I really doubt there is a lot of players ready to spend a lot of time to really teach , step by step , methods , trategy , and everything that makes the differences between the new user and the good players . Of course some games are opens to everybody and you can mix experienced and new players but generally there is not a lot of explanations / " lessons " ( at least some advices , no more ) .

This is why , i think , devellopers want create a kind of " teach mode " where a new player , alone , can discover tricks to progress ( deny / target priority / position during teamfight / engagement / et caetera et caetera ) to compensate the reality of Bnet ( = good players prefer play with good players and dont want " waste " time to teach a new user : sry , reality is rude but 70% ( at least ) of the AoS Bnet community think / act like that )

This is why , i think , devellopers want create a kind of " teach mode " where a new player , alone , can discover tricks to progress ( deny / target priority / position during teamfight / engagement / et caetera et caetera ) to compensate the reality of Bnet ( = good players prefer play with good players and dont want " waste " time to teach a new user : sry , reality is rude but 70% ( at least ) of the AoS Bnet community community think / act like that )

I so support this. I wrote this in the suggestion box. But according to rng, it will not be an easy task, as I used lol as an example. Maybe, instead of a single player - like sc2 newbie user guide - if a player does a solo or single game, because the logo suggests to try solo mode for more information and game mechanics, there would be a clickable unit or hero or item or something which will lead the player to a youtube video to see the basics of aos or sotis.

I honestly don't care about rating... Are you not the only person who ever sees it? Ever since they removed K/D/A and other stats from the lobby leader board, I haven't cared about my K/D, as no one sees it, and rating just discourages me from quitting a game, even though no one sees it. And that doesn't seem to stop anyone else from leaving, because the number of leavers is ridiculous...

I also dislike the people that see they have a new user on their team, and simply say "Leave." The only people I ever tell to leave are the people who don't talk or try to learn. The ones that are totally dumb or are 5 year olds or something who run into the tower, with no one around, for no reason, continuously... Obviously, they have no hope.

The game is still Starcraft based, you should be able to see what does a lot of damage, when you're outnumbered and should run, and how to use hotkeys and understand a little bit of what combos well...

I agree with the no pub-stomping, it was easy enough without the flood of new users, why do it now? Only lame thing is though, if you want to win a pub game when you're not in a party you have to pick a carry... That way if you're stuck with new users and did get put up against good players, you stand a chance.

Also agree with teaching new players, it just needs to be done. Don't feed off of new users and go after them like a bat out of hell every time, that's just being an ass and ruining their first experience.

@Hysteria I completely agree, I see players that post on these forums and I expect them to be good respectable people, and all they did one game was cuss out a single player on their team, not being helpful at all, they even sat in the pool and afked til the player left... I remember when I was four...

Simple solution as others pointed out. Ask at the beginning if anyone is new and give them a few instructions and the site to learn stuff and ask more questions at.

I don't think premades are the problem because far too many times I have new useries rage quit or go AFK and premades narrow that chance by ten fold. I do have a problem with BM people and that comes in all forms of players. Best to just be savvy and help out. I usually go solo for many games before teaming up and I ALWAYS encourage good manners and mutual respect. Especially when someone on my team or theirs gets cocky..although I have a breaking point..and then I usually just block.

Bottom line....just be more helpful in reaching out to people.

For me, sotis, now aos, is a team game. And new gamers will often if not always feel the wrath of the regulars. I mean, these are kids. They lack that level of maturity which is required that they don't rampage out of anger or is able to hold it in and exercise a certain level of control.

:O i'm a kid too you know -.-

i just want to note: age has nothing to do with maturity. that is all. it annoys me whenever some ones tries to use the argument "these are kids, so we shouldn't expect them to be mature/talented"

i'll clarify:

it is as erroneous to state that age reflects maturity, as it is to state that race reflects intelligence

sure, some races perform on average, lower then others, but that has little to do with race and everything to do with socioeconomic status.

It isnt very right to assert that kids are horrible at this game. One IHer is like 13 and he can beat most pubs. Immaturity can happen at all stages of life.

i just want to note: age has nothing to do with maturity. that is all. it annoys me whenever some ones tries to use the argument "these are kids, so we shouldn't expect them to be mature/talented"

i'll clarify:

it is as erroneous to state that age reflects maturity, as it is to state that race reflects intelligence

sure, some races perform on average, lower then others, but that has little to do with race and everything to do with socioeconomic status.

In most cases Age => Experience, wich is traduces into maturity. Most of the times the word "kids" is used to reffer someone with low to no exprience.

When I am on the forum there is always a lot of peoples / posts with good intentions and compation for new users / beginners BUT ingame or on Bnet, reality is completly different : Even players called " experienced " players ( i dont give names here ) are just arrogant and its a perpetual fight of Ego ( " yea im the best you just sucks " " stfu im better than you " et caetera et caetera ... ) . This arrogant behavior ( or bm behavior , decide how you prefer call it ) is especially manifested against new players / new user.

I really doubt there is a lot of players ready to spend a lot of time to really teach , step by step , methods , trategy , and everything that makes the differences between the new user and the good players . Of course some games are opens to everybody and you can mix experienced and new players but generally there is not a lot of explanations / " lessons " ( at least some advices , no more ) .

This is why , i think , devellopers want create a kind of " teach mode " where a new player , alone , can discover tricks to progress ( deny / target priority / position during teamfight / engagement / et caetera et caetera ) to compensate the reality of Bnet ( = good players prefer play with good players and dont want " waste " time to teach a new user : sry , reality is rude but 70% ( at least ) of the AoS Bnet community think / act like that )

Spit the beans and give the names, is the only way to make em change that behavior.

** Meh! Wrong quote

Long Post - Edited for space sake

Anyone here agree with any of this?

With the current system you can't do much, afik Heart of the Swarm (V1.5) will incoporate a matchmaking system for custom games, it shouldn't take too long (no more than 4 months), in that time i rather have the AoS staff release more heros and items than focusing a subject, that in my eyes is "small" when compared to others.

Solutions:

1. Make premade.

2. Teach them.

You can't do that without detracting from someone else's gaming experience, eg. the enemy team who'd get stomped, or if your premade is that terrible, your remaining teamates who'd get lumped with new players.

It isnt very right to assert that kids are horrible at this game. One IHer is like 13 and he can beat most pubs. Immaturity can happen at all stages of life.

Maturity has absolutly no relation with your skill level at AoS : a good player can act like a child ( lack of maturity ) / a good player can be enough mature to control his reactions ( no insult , try to calm some " trash talk " between two other players )

And a bad player can act like a child / idem : a bad player can be enough mature to control his reactions

premade teams are a huge problem, especially for the new players. their stage is the pub game, this is where they can try out new heroes, new strategies, and learn the whole game. if there are premade teams going for a pubstomp they easily beat the other team, leaving them no chance of learning anything about the game.

unfortunately, i know there are also several players in EU who don't want to play IH and prefer playing pub with a 4 or 5 man team. These guys are the ridiculous part of the game.

:O i'm a kid too you know -.-

Ah. :) I didn't know.

You misunderstood. I did not say that kids are not good players, but that some kids lack self control in that they end up bad mouthing other players if those new players tend to bring the team down. I don't doubt a kid can beat me in this game. In fact, it happens most of the time. But if I were to say that a kid has the self control of his dad or his mom, then I'd doubt it. But if it does occur, then some parent is doing things right.

i'll clarify:

Now this is another misunderstanding of what I wrote assuming it is meant for me. Again, I am not stating that a kid is not intelligent. Just look at are you smarter than a 5th grader. What I said was kids lack a certain level of maturity. In that they lack that self control to not bad mouth players who are bringing them down. And there are always those kids who know how to control themselves, but I seldom see it.

---

I apologize to those who misunderstood what I wrote since english is not my native language.

IMO, making a team is part of the game so there should be no reason to against it.

It is only unfair if only certain people are able to make teams; however, iirc, everyone is free to make their own teams on SC2.

If one is given the chance to make it and choice not to, it is no room for anyone to complain if he/she ends up facing a pre-made.

IMO, making a team is part of the game so there should be no reason to against it.

It is only unfair if only certain people are able to make teams; however, iirc, everyone is free to make their own teams on SC2.

If one is given the chance to make it and choice not to, it is no room for anyone to complain if he/she ends up facing a pre-made.

More than the skill level difference between two teams, what some have pointed out is the "aggresive" and "trolling" behavior some "pro" players have when they go pubstomping.

More than the skill level difference between two teams, what some have pointed out is the "aggresive" and "trolling" behavior some "pro" players have when they go pubstomping.

Using small group of people's behavior and put it on others is not really a good argument and I believe not many people do that.

Just because someone can randomly go out and shot people does not mean that the right to bear arm should be taken away from everyone.

If people to be aggressive and troll, they are usually not good players anyway. Just to point that out.

You are just referring to random people who act like kids on a video game.

Using small group of people's behavior and put it on others is not really a good argument and I believe not many people do that.

Just because someone can randomly go out and shot people does not mean that the right to bear arm should be taken away from everyone.

If people to be aggressive and troll, they are usually not good players anyway. Just to point that out.

You are just referring to random people who act like kids on a video game.

Still they do exist and provide a bad image of our community not taking seriously the pub scene. I don't care if experienced players go pubstomping the whole day, week, month or year, as long as they dont spit shap or act to a "retard point". I know some of the "pro" players in sotis don't even step a foot on pub games, still there are others that use temporal accounts to go troll into pubs and they think nobody realizes that :p.

Yes but the idea of pubstomping is to gain easy wins whereas the idea behind having a team is to try and become better at the game. So pub stomp teams should man up and come play inh. And we can finally have a league:)

The funny thing is on the NA server, the better pub teams usually do try to find other teams to face, this includes trying to find a mumble team to face. The hardest part is finding a team to face, as most pubbers/pubstars know who are the best and try to avoid them when they go in the aos channel and go "looking for a team of 5 to face". Even the guys on mumble haven't answered very much recentley, either because they have just enough on mumble to do an ih or they don't want to. The last time a mumble team played the team I was on we stomped them because they decided to go a bad comp in 2 of the lanes. We haven't had any mumble teams answer us since then other then commander right after his 4 man joined a pub against our 5 man and he wanted a rematch. We declined because a couple of us were geting off.

Whale is totally right, age has nothing to do with maturity.

I'm 24 and call everyone in every game every horrible slur I possibly can. That and I'm going to continue grouping with people to win games in 12 minutes.

And you think ur old? Ur still a kid :p

Archived