[Item] Carbonite Nanobuffer

Eliwan

Changelog:

Scrapped unique of gaining shields based on damage mitigated.

Carbonite Nanobuffer

[li]Recipe Cost: 700 | Total Cost: 3350[/li]

[li]Components: Xel'Naga Cartilidge (1050), Nullifier (850), Crystal Bark (750)[/li]

+450 Health

+15% Spell Resist

+10 Armor

[unique] When you take spell damage to your health, you gain shields equal to 10 * Hero Level + [15% of damage taken]. 35 second internal cooldown, no shared cooldown.

Reasoning:

Tank item. That's it. It's just a tanking item. When you take damage you get the ability to take more damage.

Now you can't have it ad-infinitum unless you are taking less than 10 times your hero level in spell damage.

Now like Barbed Plating this item slightly counters itself as stacking SR makes the effect do less; by making you gain fewer shields.

I see this directly countering Pyre. If 10% of spell damage taken is being turning into shield... iterated per attack... this item will be mitigating a moderate portion of its damage.

First off you can't gain any shields from negated damage because by definition it is negated and hence not directly indicated. In order to create an algorithm to indicate damage mitigated every hero would have to have a new parameter called damage mitigated.

So. This clearly does not work.

A simpler way to make an algorithm is through the item itself. Easiest example I could come up with is 10% of spell damage taken is converted into sheild

Lets do math and find out

A hero with Carbonite Nanobuffer and 3000 life Hero gets auto attacked by a shadow with100 AA dmg and a pyre.

Pyre = 4% heros max HP as spell damage.

Damage Dealt =

Life - [Physical Damage + (Pyre - (Pyre * Nanobuffer%)]

={3000 - [100 + (120 - (120* 0.1)]}

=3000 - 208 = Damage

=2792 VS 2780

Now. Since Damage done to shields is actually ignored when calculating damage done to HP, each subsequent attack will theoretically do less damage because of shields, relatively reducing every successive attack by this (n* 0.1). Where n is spell damage taken.

Item effectively mitigated 12 damage, and will effectively mitigate 12* ∂ where ∂ is the successive number of auto attacks taken by given unit (explicit to this scenario)

Overall. Item is effectively reducing spell damage which is a plus. Downsides might be that you wouldn't really notice any shields because they would almost instantly be absorbed, but by doing so you are effectively mitigating damage.

Another con is that there could be a lot of concatenations for the sc2 program to run because spell damage is quite abundant in AoS. This could lead to in-game lag.

Overall I like it a lot. The % of spell damage converted to shields is just for show and probably should be altered. The active seems a bit strong, however there is a similar item in LoL so it could be justified.

Yes, because having 25% of Lord Zyrkhan's maximum health will be SOOO useful.. when he can't do much damage.

Unless you meant STR instead of raw HP items.

The point of LZ is often to tank, not be the dps.

My usual build for LZ is Morphing boots, Superheated Mantle, Darwin's Might, Isomorphic Pyre, Force of Entropy, and then either Khali Blade or Contamination Shard. With that and pots, you have 3970 Hp(3790 without pots), and 314 weapon damage per .57 sec, with 40 damage per second from Mantle, with around 33 armor. You can give your allies 1k hp with ultimate, that's 50% of most squishy characters health to begin with, a huuuge amount. while also dishing out a lot of damage, you say he can't be dps and tank, i beg to differ. By the time any AA hero takes off 10%+ 30% damage resist from their attack on him, then take his armor into account, they arn't doing more damage as him and can't outleech him. As well as the fact that he will probably have more leech of his own, since USUALLY an AA doesn't go Darwin's, but sometimes they do. Also if you're not beating an AA carry, you can trade Mantle for Barbed Plating, then they definitely won't kill you. Also if you switched Mantle for Khali Blade late game, you'd go up to about 387 weapon damage per .57 seconds and about 3300 Hp. Also, his AS is capped without even procuring his Tenacious Fury stacks, so if you say things such as Shrapnel Cloak and other AS reduction items will get him, not really... Plus his Overdrive can debuff him if worse comes to worse.

(This is with the entire Defensive tree as well...)

Please don't insult LZ's Ult or his ability to Tank and DPS.

Also, related to the item, I feel like it's too similar to LZ's Ultimate... Will kind of degrade him a bit, but it's still an interesting idea. Sounds good for tanks.

I like the idea, there does need to be something to counter those pesky pyre's when you are going pure tank. The suggestion made by cronos seems like it would work better, because if it is damage migitated it could also happen from physical damage migitated by armor, which would be bad (hero would never die... Barbed Plating + Mass Health and spell resist = never dies).

Cronos, Vorpal already deals damage equal to the damage his W migitates. I'm sure there is a way to do it for all damage migitated (even if it might require measuring the damaging effect)

exactly it is a specific parameter on a specific hero... in order to make an effect calculating damage mitigated you would have to make a parameter on every single hero that calculates the effect...this is like cutting a slice of a cake and taking everything except what you presumably sliced for yourself... we are trying to avoid this.

What could be done is something simpler and different and probably what you are aiming at FruitNinja.

1. The parameter for Spell damage taken would be called.

2. A new Method called spellsToShields could be created (Simply for example purposes)

3. The method would multiply the amount of Spell damage taken by a specific percentage, in this case 10%.

4. This number would then be multiplied by an addShields method. Thus creating shields onto the target which damage was received on a 1:1 scale. A parameter for the amount of shields added and the duration length would be inherent in the method.
  5. The spellsToShields method would only be called on heros who have the Cabonite Nanobuffer buff active on them (Meaning they are actively carrying the item around with them). This is done so that a each hero would not have to be augmented in order to use the Carbonite Nanobuffer's passive, as the call method is based off the buff of obtaining the item rather than a code innate to each hero.

Result: We have effectively created a shield that will negate all sources of incoming damage.

Okay, I see your points.

Except @Cronos {Post 1}:

If 10% of spell damage taken is being turning into shield... iterated per attack... this item will be mitigating a moderate portion of its damage.

First off you can't gain any shields from negated damage because by definition it is negated and hence not directly indicated. In order to create an algorithm to indicate damage mitigated every hero would have to have a new parameter called damage mitigated.

Wrong.The first half: It gives 10% of spell damage that you did not take. We can look at Leo and Barbed Plating and find out that this is a *relatively* easy number to find: Take Incoming Damage and subtract Damage Taken. These numbers are really easy to call forth as they have to be used EVERY TIME Spell Resist is called as a function. (They're the input and the output, actually)

So I don't think it'd be that hard to get this item working in the first place.

@Jaysi:

Ohhhh, okay. X3 Gotcha.

@Baggins:

It says "for each point of spell damage mitigated". Not physical.

Okay, I see your points.

Except @Cronos {Post 1}:

[/font][/color]

Wrong.The first half: It gives 10% of spell damage that you did not take. We can look at Leo and Barbed Plating and find out that this is a *relatively* easy number to find: Take Incoming Damage and subtract Damage Taken. These numbers are really easy to call forth as they have to be used EVERY TIME Spell Resist is called as a function. (They're the input and the output, actually)

So I don't think it'd be that hard to get this item working in the first place.

@Jaysi:

Ohhhh, okay. X3 Gotcha.

@Baggins:

It says "for each point of spell damage mitigated". Not physical.

The problem isn't so much as to calling the damage method... rather the fact that it is another parameter that would have to be implemented to each and every character.

Yes its easy to calculate, but it is just one more unnecessary calculation opposed to a single "packaged" format stated in my second post.

Basically any hero that gets this will have a mini LZ ult.

I would either change the active or redesign LZ. ( Personally i want LZ redesigned. I liked his old mixed.carry role) Sadly, if this item is implemented however the active will most likely be changed and LZ will not be :(

Basically any hero that gets this will have a mini LZ ult.

I would either change the active or redesign LZ. ( Personally i want LZ redesigned. I liked his old mixed.carry role) Sadly, if this item is implemented however the active will most likely be changed and LZ will not be :(

the active is literally zyrks ult... not too original.

Possibly just keep this item's active similar to Vibranium Shield. Possibly even make Vibranium Shield a component.

X3 It's not quite LZ's ulti.

LZ's ulti is as follows:

LZ loses 15/20/25% of his maximum health and some mana.

LZ gains shields equal to 175% of the health he lost for 11 seconds.

LZ's nearby allies gain shields equal to 125% of the health LZ lost for 11 seconds.

So it's not as powerful but I agree that it's not going to work very well as an active. I must come up with something unique... or just remove the active. The passive is pretty juicy...

Maybe add Crystal Bark and let it reflect physical damage.

Yeah, I'll do that.

X3 It's not quite LZ's ulti.

LZ's ulti is as follows:

LZ loses 15/20/25% of his maximum health and some mana.

LZ gains shields equal to 175% of the health he lost for 11 seconds.

LZ's nearby allies gain shields equal to 125% of the health LZ lost for 11 seconds.

So it's not as powerful but I agree that it's not going to work very well as an active. I must come up with something unique... or just remove the active. The passive is pretty juicy...

Maybe add Crystal Bark and let it reflect physical damage.

Yeah, I'll do that.

Just like Barbed Plating? lol. Unless that was sarcasm...

58% physical resistance grants you physical immunity (29% is shield, FURTHER MITIGATED BY MORE RESISTANCE)

and 50% spell resistance grants you spell immunity. Factor in the base 15% damage resistance, this changes you to 22.5% damage resistance.

I wonder why no one noticed this.

Because it doesn't.

o3o;

Let's take an example of a 100 damage attack against a user with exactly +58% Physical Resist from Armor.

100 * 0.85 * 0.62 => 52.70 damage taken. 23.65 Shields gained.

That's not immunity, but it means you take only 25% of the damage.

Let's do the same with Spell Damage, with 50% Spell Resistance.

100 * 0.85 * 0.50 => 42.50 damage taken. 57.50 Shields gained.

Okay, that's immunity.

Okay, maybe I need to reduce the effects of it some more, but it's a cool idea, right? :<

The concept is good, but it would probably need a lot more tweaking before it gets balanced. Even for the physical damage example, the multiplier would actually be 0.42 and not 0.62.

So, 100 * 0.85 * 0.42 = 35.7 physical damage taken. 32.15 shields gained. That's pretty close to immunity already.

P.S Yellow is a horrible colour for a white background.

But that's not the way it works! Why doesn't anybody factor this in:

When you gain shield, a fraction of that shield damage taken is converted to more shield. That's why 58% physical resistance is already immunity and 50% or less spell resistance would be damned. Infinite shield babeh!

Well, the number of shield is taken down at a slow rate, but having >66% resistance means you get more shield for each time attacked. BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

But that's not the way it works! Why doesn't anybody factor this in:

When you gain shield, a fraction of that shield damage taken is converted to more shield. That's why 58% physical resistance is already immunity and 50% or less spell resistance would be damned. Infinite shield babeh!

Well, the number of shield is taken down at a slow rate, but having >66% resistance means you get more shield for each time attacked. BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I Thought this too, but it actually doesn't work this way. Shield is considered hp so theoretically what happens is (Using 10% for example purposes).

Health - Actual Damage Taken -> Damage*10% Damage Converted to Shields -> Adds Shields.

Health+Shields - Actual Damage Taken -> Damage * 10% Damage Converted to Shields -> Adds Shields.

SAME THING AS

Heath - Actual Damage Taken -> Damage * 10% Damage Converted to Heath -> Adds Health

New Health Total - Actual Damage Taken -> Damage * 10% Damage Converted to Heath -> Adds Health.

The 10% of Damage to Shields or Damage to Health never changes, which proves there are no diminishing returns to the damage be taken in or amplification to shields/health.

"a fraction of that shield damage taken is converted to more shield"

That would mean

Health - Actual Damage Taken -> Actual Damage Taken *10% Damage Converted to Shields -> Adds Shields

Health - (Damage Taken - Shields)... etc etc.

Since Damage taken is not reduced by the shields amount... a concatenated shield mitigation is NOT possible.

so 50% damage TAKEN converted to shields is fine... it literally means that 50% of the damage taken would be turned back into life (Although OP).

If you want to know how damage mitigation plays it roll -> it is calculated before the damage to shields calculation takes place.

Archived