Negative kill/death ratio?

Mus

A lot of people are of the opinion that a kill/death ratio of less than 1 is "negative". Well, I just want to clarify that this is not true, since I am fed up of seeing people using the phrase "negative kill/death ratio".

A number is negative if it is less than 0. The number of kills a player has will always be 0 or bigger than 0. Same for the number of deaths. So when you calculate the ratio of kills/deaths you cannot get a number less than 0. Hence the ratio is never negative. Ever.

To any of you who think that a kill/death ratio of less than 1 is "negative", you just don't understand the notion of negative and positive numbers.

Rant over.

A lot of people are of the opinion that a kill/death ratio of less than 1 is "negative". Well, I just want to clarify that this is not true, since I am fed up of seeing people using the phrase "negative kill/death ratio".

A number is negative if it is less than 0. The number of kills a player has will always be 0 or bigger than 0. Same for the number of deaths. So when you calculate the ratio of kills/deaths you cannot get a number less than 0. Hence the ratio is never negative. Ever.

To any of you who think that a kill/death ratio of less than 1 is "negative", you just don't understand the notion of negative and positive numbers.

Rant over.

was this necessary? this should be moved to general chat

It is necessary. I made this point yesterday to Preto, that even if someone has 6 kills and 9 deaths their K/D is POSITIVE. 6/9 = 2/3 = 0.66666.... = > 0. The only way ever you could get a NEGATIVE K/D is if you had a NEGATIVE amount of kills. For example, -1/9 is NEGATIVE < 0. Therefore NEGATIVE K/D. I believe this wrong mindset is from CoD (although I tolerate it on there) :D

The concept of the "negative" k/d ratio stems from the idea of how your kills balanced out with your deaths. It's not kills compared to deaths, it's the difference of kills and deaths compared to a number of games. If you score 6 kills and 9 deaths by the end of the game, your "k/d" ratio for the game is -3. If you scored 600 kills and 900 deaths over 50 games, your k/d ratio for those 50 games is -6. Flip them around; if you scored 900 kills and 600 deaths over 50 games, your k/d ratio is 6.

That makes no sense. The term ratio means you must divide the numbers, not subtract. Kill/death ratio is precisely defined as kills divided by deaths. What you are talking about is just the difference between kills and death, which is by no means a ratio.

If you score 6 kills and 9 deaths by the end of the game, your "k/d" ratio for the game is -3.

No. That is not a ratio, a ratio is A:B. What Midknight has described is the amount of kills minus the amount of deaths, 6-9=-3. What Mus is talking about is the ratio, i.e. A:B, A/B. Hence the ratio is 2/3. 2 kills per 3 deaths.

To show it in a simpler form imagine I had a cake. It has 5 pieces. Mus is fat so he takes 4 pieces and I take 1.

Me = 1

Mus = 4

1:4 ratio, for every 1 slice I take Mus takes 4. In total there are 1+4=5 slices. If there were 2 cakes, and we used this RATIO. 2x5 = 10. I take (1x2=2) slices and Mus takes (2x4=8) slices.

Using what you guys are describing a ratio, idk 1-4=-3.. yeh now what?

You do not know what ratio is. It has already been defined in mathematics, so for you to say ratio means the difference is just silly. Ratio ALWAYS means the quotient NOT the difference.

Ooh, you do not want to start a fight with me about math definitions. How about you open your mind for just a brief moment and actually read what has been written instead of jumping to conclusions.

(Kills - Deaths) / Games = Kill Death Ratio. You'll note the little '/' symbol between the (Kills - Deaths) and Games. That is a division sign. K/D Ratio is not the ratio of Kills to Deaths. It is the ratio of 1) The difference between Kills and Deaths to 2) The number of games evaluated. Now, you have been pointed out to be incorrect in your presumption. You have the choice of continuing to be incorrect and disregard my gracious and generous input on the matter, or you can accept the explanation and correct the errors in your mind. Either way, the topic has run its course. End of discussion.