Boros Permastorm Build [1.64]

lOvOl

So I was getting bored with my general tanky build on Boros and decided to see what I could do with a build that gave him permanent spell storm again with great chasing mechanics as conventional wisdom suggests this is not possible with the recent nerfs to Cerebro. Well, you can still triple storm in a row now with this build and still be at the attack speed cap when attacking:

(1) Pyre (not necessary but I get it)

(2) Aggressor's Guise

(3) Ihan (not necessary but I get it)

(4) Cerebro

(5) Hand of Mengsk

(6) Yamato Reactor

(7) Electric Mantle

You can also replace Yamato with Masamune (would not recommend this as it is a terrible item even though it accomplishes the same thing). You can also replace HoM and Aggressor's with star fury and coat of arms to essentially get near the attack speed cap as well with boros, but without the lifesteal and movement speed active. Late game when everyone has detection, sell aggressor's for chilling artifact or if you want to play fast and loose, get masamune which with yamato gets you 50% over the attack speed cap with leech from HoM for sustain.

I like this build because early game the cloak from aggressor's is actually useful and helps maintain chase with pyre. Cerebro of course reduces your cooldowns by 9 seconds leaving you 12 seconds remaining on storm cooldown of which 5 seconds is taken up by storm itself leaving a 7 second cooldown window that you reduce progressively with more and more cooldown items. With prodigy and all of these items including the timescale active of yamato, you have a total of 107% cooldown reduction and 132% with masamune at full stacks (again I don't recommend this item but I suppose it might be fun for use when trolling). Due to Boros' double strike passive, you will pretty much always proc Cerebro after 3 attacks or less so that is why you only have that item around for crit damage. I suppose you could replace one of these items with Khali Blade, but you really want permanent storm so that casters have zero chance to do anything to you late game which may be a reason masamune could work as a final item replacing aggressor's because you will have high armor and total spell immunity in combat.

As for engaging in battle, you active HoM and Yamato at the same time and you get 40% speed boost plus the initial burst of guise (only procs like once evey 8 seconds or something like that) and/or the 33% movement speed increase from masamune if you choose to get this item (8% base plus 25% from timescale).

I generally prefer a very tanky build on Boros but have had great success with this most recent incarnation which I have yet to see on any other Boros players. I would not say it is really imbalanced either because to get permanent storm you need a lot of farm whereas before rushing Cerebro before its recent nerfs got you permanent spell storm 20 minutes into the game, so maybe some other Boros players can try this out and see if they like it over their conventional builds.

A good way to make Boros even more boring ~_~

Well yah there are other fun ways to play Boros such as phase cloak and lockbox Boros where you simply sneak up near an enemy (elixir detection range is not as wide as vision range), lockbox them, then bola them. The cloak makes all the difference.

Try:

Pyre

Lockbox

Phase Cloak -> Shinobi

Sunflare

Ihan

Argus

Yamato or Grav Edge

All you do all game is sneak up at a good angle of some hero while cloaked and then lockbox and bola them. Even if you are cloaked it is easy to dodge bolas, especially since if you have detection you will see Boros before he throws his Bola, but if he is cloaked it is a lot harder to prevent him from getting close enough to you to lockbox you and then he hits you with a no-miss bola (kinda like how you use lockbox to setup a no miss combo from Garamond with missiles, slick, and explodiing SCV's). Then you sunflare, and Q+R your target. Of course the problem with int builds on Boros these days is they are squishy and you can only kill one hero at a time whereas if you have a more balanced DPS/tanky build you can solo entire teams if they let you.

I think your math was a bit off, unless I missed another nerf to cerebro (I believe its still 10 seconds every 9)

21 second base cooldown on SS

Cerebro knocks off 10 seconds

that leaves 11

11/2.07 = 5.31 seconds of CD remaining

SS lasts 5 seconds

(4 secs left before next cerebro)

Even with 107% cooldown you should still have a gap of .3 seconds between first and second SS

You would need at least 120% CD to have no gap between first and second SS

then you start second SS

21 seconds on clock

21/2.07 = 10.144

4 seconds into SS, counter resets again

SS ends on 5 with 8 seconds left on cerebro CD

third SS

21/2.07 = 10.144

SS ends after 5 seconds

gap of 3 seconds before cerebro procs again to finish remaining time

4th SS

21/2.07 = 10.144

ss ends after 5 seconds

4 second gap before cerebro can proc again

These numbers are of course theoretical in that its not very likely you would be able to crit at exactly the right time every time with just 1 crit item....

Still it is pretty funny that you can pretty much perma 3 spell storms still, nice find ;)

Unrelated note def agree that Yamato is an amazing item on boros tho since SS is a DOT ability and is therefore boosted approx 54/55% by its active.

Well math off or not, I have tested this in single player and in actual games and you have 3 concurrent storms with maybe half a second between the second and third one (yamato must be activated). If you don't believe me, try it yourself in single player. Another funny thing you can do with this build if you have an impact dial in place of one of the cooldown items is do what I call the "Double Bola". Hard to pull off cause you have to land a skilled bola in the first place, but I tested it on obelisks and I am sure better Boros players than myself could pull it off more reliably.

Basically what you do is bola a target then run in the opposite direction as usual, then turn and AA them preferably with yamato and HoM activated to proc cerebro. Now the thing with bola is that it is on a 14 second cooldown and one proc of cerebro knocks that cooldown off 9 seconds and with these cooldown items you can basically look at having bola online instantly again, so after you proc cerebro from a few aa attacks with storm on (making you debuff immune), you then bola the target at close range and turn really fast in the opposite dieection and impact dial yourself or else use warp shard to a different vector thereby pulling them again to the maximum pull distance for bola now. Then you just storm and AA again and follow up with omni if necessary. Or alternatively since they are running from you, you can impact dial them and then bola them back to you instead.

I wonder if residente finds this boring?

that should be fun build but i dont bother too much on the cooldown items. i build boros INT CRIT w pyre. but i can apreciate the concept of your build. ss when you need it.

boros tanky? didnt work out too well for me.

built him armor and HP.

lethal barb, barbed plating, cerebro, FOE, Darwins. chilling artifact.

hardly got kills.

i find that the mentality of boros players are rather predictable. or rather bola players.

i prefer using warp shard as it can adjust bola angle better than impact.

double bola is not boring. honestly with cerebro alone this can be done. i dont go 3 crit items anymore with boros. cerebro and lethal barb will do. i prefer to build him INT because i always begin with bola. very seldom do i do SS or omni first. and with bola comes INT scaling. a good pull will halve the HP of many casters and agi heros.

plenty of times the bola is fatal enough.

Well yah there are other fun ways to play Boros such as phase cloak and lockbox Boros where you simply sneak up near an enemy (elixir detection range is not as wide as vision range), lockbox them, then bola them. The cloak makes all the difference.

Try:

Pyre

Lockbox

Phase Cloak -> Shinobi

Sunflare

Ihan

Argus

Yamato or Grav Edge

All you do all game is sneak up at a good angle of some hero while cloaked and then lockbox and bola them. Even if you are cloaked it is easy to dodge bolas, especially since if you have detection you will see Boros before he throws his Bola, but if he is cloaked it is a lot harder to prevent him from getting close enough to you to lockbox you and then he hits you with a no-miss bola (kinda like how you use lockbox to setup a no miss combo from Garamond with missiles, slick, and explodiing SCV's). Then you sunflare, and Q+R your target. Of course the problem with int builds on Boros these days is they are squishy and you can only kill one hero at a time whereas if you have a more balanced DPS/tanky build you can solo entire teams if they let you.

And why not: Impact Dial, SFG, Phantom Menace, Gravity Edge, Ihan, Nitrogen Retrofit, SHM, in no particular order (just Dial first)

if i were to emphasize on bola id probably go

warp shard

impact dial

argus

yamato

cerebro

sunflare

(ihan)

warp shard to change bola angle

snag n the bola backswing

hit yamato

impact dial out

sunflare

SS

AA

still alive?

omnislash

quite hard to execute though..... ive executed this 3 times out of 10.

hitting actives isnt actually my thing.

And why not: Impact Dial, SFG, Phantom Menace, Gravity Edge, Ihan, Nitrogen Retrofit, SHM, in no particular order (just Dial first)

Dial doesn't do anything anymore as far as pulling goes in extending the pull range, unless you are already at very close range when bolaing. They capped the maximum pull range for bola to I think 12 units a while ago.

EDIT: Read below.

if i were to emphasize on bola id probably go

warp shard

impact dial

argus

yamato

cerebro

sunflare

(ihan)

warp shard to change bola angle

snag n the bola backswing

hit yamato

impact dial out

sunflare

SS

AA

still alive?

omnislash

quite hard to execute though..... ive executed this 3 times out of 10.

hitting actives isnt actually my thing.

Again, warp shard and impact dial won't do anything anymore as you have a maximum range of 12 units that a target gets pulled, unless you are suggesting dragging the target around in a circle whereas I don't know if that works, I just know that if you go more than 12 units beyond the radius from the pulled target the bola breaks. Nevertheless with warpshard and impact dial "changing the angle" you will be forced to warp yourself into the opposite direction you want to go. Maybe you can zig zag with perfect timing but I have never really tried this (in single player or in a game).

EDIT:

http://www.aeonofstorms.com/index.php?/topic/2292-bola-bola/

Just read this bug. Of course this is a bug of sorts, but one nice thing about lockbox is it sets up being able to warpshard and impact dial your way like the good old days since you can get around range 6 or so from your target and lockbox them, then throw your bola and when they reappear your bola snags them, then you warp shard and impact dial your way to ridiculous pull damage. I suppose it would be funny to troll with 300 damage a second bolas while it lasts but if you get lockbox, warpshard/shc and impact dial you can do some crazy damage this way.

Dial doesn't do anything anymore as far as pulling goes in extending the pull range, unless you are already at very close range when bolaing. They capped the maximum pull range for bola to I think 12 units a while ago.

If you catch an enemy when the bola is comming back there are no.bola range cap.

Impact dial is just amazing fpr chase and scape in every way

there is a glitch where if you catch the hero with a bola when its coming back it doesn't break at 12 units,

ya digg??

there is a glitch where if you catch the hero with a bola when its coming back it doesn't break at 12 units,

ya digg??

Didn't you read my edit? The point was lockbox makes doing this easy as you remove the target from the game then throw your bola through where they were and then they get snagged on the way back. Not that I have ever been a fan of using bola -> warp shard -> impact dial builds, but this would be the easy way to do this.

its a 16 unit break not 12. for the bola landing on its way out.

though having lockbox gives you a high hance of snagging,

having lockbox impact dial and SHC would consume 3 slots. leaving 3 slots for dps/int items. kinda weak IMHO.

This is true. Just getting warp shard and impact dial on boros is not a serious build anyways but more for bola trolling (which I don't do).

OK so I have revised the build a little bit and have found it to be an excellent Boros build when the opposing team is mixed or else mostly casters because with permanent spell storm, Boros won't be taking a lot of spell damage. In the case of hard AA carries stacking lifesteal, I prefer a tankier build focused around barbed, health, and spell resist (which you need more of since you won't have permastorm available), simply because for this cooldown build to work you can't really devote a slot to barbed plating and/or executioner's axe or else the build just does not work because you don't have enough cooldown with cerebro to get the permastorm effect and you really need those items against Zera and to a certain degree Shadow unless you have a reliable tank on your team (in which case I think this build is the strongest possible build Boros has because of the imbalanced nature of permanent spell storm).

So here is the revised build not including starter items which for me are the gold producing items (leeching saber, lost treasure, miner's goggles):

(1) Isomorphic Pyre

(2) Warp Shard

(3) Ihan Crystal

(4) Small Hadron Collider

(5) Sell Ihan and buy Cerebro when 10 stacks are complete

(6) Yamato Reactor

(7) Hand of Mengsk

(8) Electric Mantle

Now the change from the build above is to replace Aggressor's Guise with Small Hadron Collider which does not give cooldown, but instead gives timescale and just enough for the permastorm effect to occur late game. The 6% timescale is equivalent to 20 agility in terms of attack speed (Aggressor's gives 60 agility), and of course a small amount of movement speed which always helps. Most importantly, SHC is a great utility item when much of your damage comes from spell storm and really that should go without saying. But other nice things about SHC is that if an enemy is all alone half a screen away, you can blink towards them with SHC, activate yamato and HoM for the 40% speed boost, then charge at them and bola them to you and then AA them down with permastorm. Do this a few times and you really put the fear in the enemy team, so much that you will have them hugging towers the rest of the game or else bunching up all together which makes Boros a great initiator with permastorm and HoM and Yamato activated because he can just jump in with storm on rambo style and AA them all (doing a lot of AoE damage) and them omnismash and anything he doesn't kill his team cleans up, not to mention he can keep his storm up a couple more times if he needs to. Another cool thing you can do is to blink in at close range, stun your target with HoM and Yamato activated, then bola them and with your 40% speed boost pull your target the maximum distance (or close to it) allowed by bola.

Anyways, the above build works extremely well (or so I have found) and will get you some WTF NO COOLDOWN ON STORM, THIS IS GLITCHED comments in games because everyone thought the Boros permastorm days were long gone. Is this an imbalanced build? I dunno about that as it requires a lot of farm and the synergy of all the items is not apparent until very late into the game. But for Boros players having problems staying relevant late game with standard crit builds that rely on omnismash which of course is unreliable when 2000000000000000000000 creeps are around, this hybrid AA int build with permatorm effects and super high cooldown might be the build for you.

yamato reactor?

cerebro alone can suffice. yamato makes it better correct but not necessary. also the spell damage amplification is nice on yamato.

sure the cd reduction helps but if you analyze the situation you have 2 spells you can spam.

bola and SS.

bola has a much lower cooldown than SS.

i have never encountered a situation wherein i needed both at the same time.

so combo like this.

snag a hero with bola

SS/AA/ chase

when SS is over and your oponent lives,

run back.

hell probably chase you / or even if he does not chase you (better if you have nitro as the DOT of burning blade procs nitro.)

bola immediately. and try to extend distance.

hit with AA. maybe tank a few shots (this is where lethal barb comes in)

SS should be available

chase.

bola again and pull

AA toe to toe for 1or 2 strikes.

run back

bola him

SS again

he should be dying by now!

bola and pull.

if he isnt dead, rinse and repeat and hope your mana pool can sustain your dancing.

this dance is mostly used on tanks.

coz agi heros and int heros usually die rather fast.

this is very entertaining to watch, fun to play, provided..... YOU DONT MISS YER BOLA.

now in a teamfight same thing. its just you have more targets to activate cerebro.

easier to land bolas in teamfights coz players arent focused on you alone.

OK so I have revised the build a little bit and have found it to be an excellent Boros build when the opposing team is mixed or else mostly casters because with permanent spell storm, Boros won't be taking a lot of spell damage. In the case of hard AA carries stacking lifesteal, I prefer a tankier build focused around barbed, health, and spell resist (which you need more of since you won't have permastorm available), simply because for this cooldown build to work you can't really devote a slot to barbed plating and/or executioner's axe or else the build just does not work because you don't have enough cooldown with cerebro to get the permastorm effect and you really need those items against Zera and to a certain degree Shadow unless you have a reliable tank on your team (in which case I think this build is the strongest possible build Boros has because of the imbalanced nature of permanent spell storm).

So here is the revised build not including starter items which for me are the gold producing items (leeching saber, lost treasure, miner's goggles):

(1) Isomorphic Pyre

(2) Warp Shard

(3) Ihan Crystal

(4) Small Hadron Collider

(5) Sell Ihan and buy Cerebro when 10 stacks are complete

(6) Yamato Reactor

(7) Hand of Mengsk

(8) Electric Mantle

Now the change from the build above is to replace Aggressor's Guise with Small Hadron Collider which does not give cooldown, but instead gives timescale and just enough for the permastorm effect to occur late game. The 6% timescale is equivalent to 20 agility in terms of attack speed (Aggressor's gives 60 agility), and of course a small amount of movement speed which always helps. Most importantly, SHC is a great utility item when much of your damage comes from spell storm and really that should go without saying. But other nice things about SHC is that if an enemy is all alone half a screen away, you can blink towards them with SHC, activate yamato and HoM for the 40% speed boost, then charge at them and bola them to you and then AA them down with permastorm. Do this a few times and you really put the fear in the enemy team, so much that you will have them hugging towers the rest of the game or else bunching up all together which makes Boros a great initiator with permastorm and HoM and Yamato activated because he can just jump in with storm on rambo style and AA them all (doing a lot of AoE damage) and them omnismash and anything he doesn't kill his team cleans up, not to mention he can keep his storm up a couple more times if he needs to. Another cool thing you can do is to blink in at close range, stun your target with HoM and Yamato activated, then bola them and with your 40% speed boost pull your target the maximum distance (or close to it) allowed by bola.

Anyways, the above build works extremely well (or so I have found) and will get you some WTF NO COOLDOWN ON STORM, THIS IS GLITCHED comments in games because everyone thought the Boros permastorm days were long gone. Is this an imbalanced build? I dunno about that as it requires a lot of farm and the synergy of all the items is not apparent until very late into the game. But for Boros players having problems staying relevant late game with standard crit builds that rely on omnismash which of course is unreliable when 2000000000000000000000 creeps are around, this hybrid AA int build with permatorm effects and super high cooldown might be the build for you.

Ahhh...all this talk on Boros has made me wont to start playing him avidly again! As soon as AoS works for me again lol maybe i should change my game client to SEA? I live in Beijing, but dont think thats the problem...? Anyway thanks for the new build idea the AA Crit build has outlived its usefullness for him imo.

yamato reactor?

cerebro alone can suffice. yamato makes it better correct but not necessary. also the spell damage amplification is nice on yamato.

sure the cd reduction helps but if you analyze the situation you have 2 spells you can spam.

bola and SS.

bola has a much lower cooldown than SS.

i have never encountered a situation wherein i needed both at the same time.

so combo like this.

snag a hero with bola

SS/AA/ chase

when SS is over and your oponent lives,

run back.

hell probably chase you / or even if he does not chase you (better if you have nitro as the DOT of burning blade procs nitro.)

bola immediately. and try to extend distance.

hit with AA. maybe tank a few shots (this is where lethal barb comes in)

SS should be available

chase.

bola again and pull

AA toe to toe for 1or 2 strikes.

run back

bola him

SS again

he should be dying by now!

bola and pull.

if he isnt dead, rinse and repeat and hope your mana pool can sustain your dancing.

this dance is mostly used on tanks.

coz agi heros and int heros usually die rather fast.

this is very entertaining to watch, fun to play, provided..... YOU DONT MISS YER BOLA.

now in a teamfight same thing. its just you have more targets to activate cerebro.

easier to land bolas in teamfights coz players arent focused on you alone.

Yamato gives 25% timescale and 25% spell damage while activated. The timescale gives you 25% more attack rate, 25% more movement speed (very important), and 25% more cooldown reduction. It is a key item in this build as rather than using bola as a gap closer you are using the speed provided by HoM+Yamato as well as SHC. Normally blinking into a team with Boros would be insane but because you can keep your storm up to prevent debuffs and all spell damage not hitting you via gravity edge, this is why it works. And by the time HoM+Yamato wears off the battle is over, either you died somehow or a teamwipe has occurred. I have gotten insane numbers of monster kills with this build (never a luda so far just because some ally gets a last hit every darn time) and it has so many tactical options available that it is a lot more fun than my tanky build on Boros that is more for directly countering one-skill kill heroes.