Maar long range capabilities

Dannte

this is the second game this happens, maar just spam frost wave and that 2 power of destruction skill

1 - u cant run from maar, only in early game that he takes long to evoke the powers, but in late game, he uses them 5 in 5 seconds, frost wave slow u down and destruction takes like 1/3 of your health

2 - he keep throwing that shap making the team stand back while creeps and other heroes try to kill tower or pull teamates, and if they do, u cant try to save him, cuz maar takes 1/3 of your health just by spaming his skills

3 - u chase maar, he kites u using sap, and soon, you will be the one running away

4 - no other hero have 6 different skills to use

5 - lower cooldown/power in the game

i know its hard to play maar, but making him THAT strong doesnt justify it. other heroes are hard to play too, but they are not that strong.

taser works, but what if u cant realy reach him?, he throws his shap from 1 mile distance and if the team have a micro, its just suicide to run into the mission of sniping him or silence him.

Note: Taking a standard path versus a range hero? Really? A Decent person would make use of the terrain and ambush the person from behind or from the side inwhich a range hero can't do anything. Note: All maar's abilities Besides sap take a duration to hit enemy. Means it is dodgeable. Note: Maar's Frost wave doesn't deal an entire massive amount of damage mid//Late game, it is easy to take him down. Note: Maar's abilities cost a rediculious amount of Energy. Note: Maar's Sap is useless until you get a Gravity Edge // Full stacked Blue Gene // Argus Crystal. You say Maar takes out 1/3 your health... That is literally nothing compared to other heroes, who would instantly kill you.

Maar is countered by:

- Shadow

- Boros

- Zeratul

- Darpa

- Rory

- Raynor

- Rancor

- Cyprus

- Heroes with Taser

- Heroes with Spell Resist

- Heroes with Teleports

- Heroes with Stuns (As you have to create your Orbs, you have to constantly use hotkeys and stuns mess that up majorly)

- Heroes with Silence abilities.

There is clearly a lot of counters to Maar. In my opinion, Raynor is the better version of Maar.

1) Raynor has silence and long range

2) His final dominates low // Mid Hp Heroes

3) Death Mark Owns

4) Raiders help scout for possible ganks on you

5) His final is difficult to escape, much harder than any of maars abilities.

Really I only found that Maar's SAP scaled to well, but since that has been nerfed, he isn't all that good anymore. It is simple: Do not Feed Maar. Really, all this states is, Do not feed a Hero or else they are strong. AA heroes deal damage to fast than he can SAP once they get their items. Note: He has mutiple abilities, but he can't use them all at the same time (i.e. Cyprus can use all 4 abilities within 0.5 seconds, maar can usually use about an ability once per second or once per 3 seconds since they ALL share a CD.)

P.S. Quistmann: You forgot Liberation ability :D

Quistmann actually forgot a few.

MAAR's abilities are as follows (Format: Name [Requirements] : Effect)

Liberation [Any Aura] : Tosses the current aura at the target point and refreshes the duration.

Despair [None] : Reduces enemy sight radius.

Power of Destruction [None] : Gets 1 Destruction/W/Red Orb.

Power of Creation [None] : Gets 1 Creation/E/Blue Orb.

Heat Wave [1 Destruction/W/Red] : Ball of energy that explodes, dealing damage [+65% INT]

Heat Wave + [2 Destruction/W/Red] : Larger ball, dealing same base damage but [+100/110/120/130% INT]

Destroyer Aura [3 Destruction/W/Red] : Aura of 20/40/60/80 [+20% INT] Spell Damage per second. Lasts for 14? seconds.

Barrier [1 Creation/E/Blue] : Shields an ally [+80% INT]

Frost Wave [2 Creation/E/Blue] : Channels, then wave of energy that deals high damage and slows by 50% for 2 seconds.

Creator Aura [3 Creation/E/Blue] : Aura of 15/25/35/45? [+20% INT] Health per second. Lasts for 14? seconds.

Sap [1 Destruction/W/Red, 1 Creation/E/Blue] : Deals [150% INT] Spell Damage and heals [150% INT] Health.

Vanguard Aura [2 Destruction/W/Red, 1 Creation/E/Blue] : Aura of +11% Time. Lasts for 14? seconds.

Savior Aura [1 Destruction/W/Red, 2 Creation/E/Blue] : Aura that reduces enemy damage output while inside of it by 30%. Lasts for 14? seconds.

= 14 abilities

Also, MAAR is a late-game Ability-spamming Spell Damage carry that can hold out, push waves, etc.; so his range is his way of staying alive until the late-game comes around.

1. Liberation [Any Aura] : Tosses the current aura at the target point and refreshes the duration.

2. Despair [None] : Reduces enemy sight radius.

3.Power of Destruction [None] : Gets 1 Destruction/W/Red Orb.

4. Power of Creation [None] : Gets 1 Creation/E/Blue Orb.

5. Heat Wave [1 Destruction/W/Red] : Ball of energy that explodes, dealing damage [+65% INT]

6. Heat Wave + [2 Destruction/W/Red] : Larger ball, dealing same base damage but [+100/110/120/130% INT]

7. Destroyer Aura [3 Destruction/W/Red] : Aura of 20/40/60/80 [+20% INT] Spell Damage per second. Lasts for 14? seconds.

8. Barrier [1 Creation/E/Blue] : Shields an ally [+80% INT]

9. Frost Wave [2 Creation/E/Blue] : Channels, then wave of energy that deals high damage and slows by 50% for 2 seconds.

10. Creator Aura [3 Creation/E/Blue] : Aura of 15/25/35/45? [+20% INT] Health per second. Lasts for 14? seconds.

11. Sap [1 Destruction/W/Red, 1 Creation/E/Blue] : Deals [150% INT] Spell Damage and heals [150% INT] Health.

12. Vanguard Aura [2 Destruction/W/Red, 1 Creation/E/Blue] : Aura of +11% Time. Lasts for 14? seconds.

13. Savior Aura [1 Destruction/W/Red, 2 Creation/E/Blue] : Aura that reduces enemy damage output while inside of it by 30%. Lasts for 14? seconds.

= 14 abilities

did i miss something? Oo

SHC + taser = 1 useless maar

Why can't you leave maar alone, his been nerfed so much :(

Yes. And to add to his comment, try not to use cookie cutter builds on your hero all the time and get the items (especially utility items) that you need to get the job done. Having 1000000000000 DPS won't do you much good if you can never close the distance on a squishy hero with the range advantage. Most MAAR's use a pure noob int build and if you get a blink and a taser (if you hero does not have one), then he is very easy to kill the way most people build him (no armor and maybe only health from nitrogen and ihan).

Quistmann actually forgot a few.

MAAR's abilities are as follows (Format: Name [Requirements] : Effect)

Liberation [Any Aura] : Tosses the current aura at the target point and refreshes the duration.

Despair [None] : Reduces enemy sight radius.

Power of Destruction [None] : Gets 1 Destruction/W/Red Orb.

Power of Creation [None] : Gets 1 Creation/E/Blue Orb.

Heat Wave [1 Destruction/W/Red] : Ball of energy that explodes, dealing damage [+65% INT]

Heat Wave + [2 Destruction/W/Red] : Larger ball, dealing same base damage but [+100/110/120/130% INT]

Destroyer Aura [3 Destruction/W/Red] : Aura of 20/40/60/80 [+20% INT] Spell Damage per second. Lasts for 14? seconds.

Barrier [1 Creation/E/Blue] : Shields an ally [+80% INT]

Frost Wave [2 Creation/E/Blue] : Channels, then wave of energy that deals high damage and slows by 50% for 2 seconds.

Creator Aura [3 Creation/E/Blue] : Aura of 15/25/35/45? [+20% INT] Health per second. Lasts for 14? seconds.

Sap [1 Destruction/W/Red, 1 Creation/E/Blue] : Deals [150% INT] Spell Damage and heals [150% INT] Health.

Vanguard Aura [2 Destruction/W/Red, 1 Creation/E/Blue] : Aura of +11% Time. Lasts for 14? seconds.

Savior Aura [1 Destruction/W/Red, 2 Creation/E/Blue] : Aura that reduces enemy damage output while inside of it by 30%. Lasts for 14? seconds.

= 14 abilities

Also, MAAR is a late-game Ability-spamming Spell Damage carry that can hold out, push waves, etc.; so his range is his way of staying alive until the late-game comes around.

Late game MAAR is as easy to kill as early game MAAR. Utility items own him if the MAAR does not go tanky and I think I am the only player I have ever seen who does not go straight int on MAAR.

Late game MAAR is as easy to kill as early game MAAR. Utility items own him if the MAAR does not go tanky and I think I am the only player I have ever seen who does not go straight int on MAAR.

That said, if you build a team around protecting Maar then it's viable to build him glass cannon. Though that's not likely in pub games though.

That said, if you build a team around protecting Maar then it's viable to build him glass cannon. Though that's not likely in pub games though.

Even then getting an electric mantle and a chilling artifact for their cooldown and AA defense is a wise idea assuming your other items are ihan, nitrogen, argus, grav edge, and yamato.

SHC + taser = 1 useless maar

Why can't you leave maar alone, his been nerfed so much :(

SHC and taser counters every caster.

Most long-ranged casters sacrifice damage, reliability, or in Dustin's case, sustain. Xerath in LoL sacrifices mobility, etc. Maar is of the second type.

Heat wave is okay (but annoying). Frost wave has a really long range and is not that hard to land, really. I would reduce the damage and slow but make it cast much faster, but not because of balance issues but because I think we need more DPS casters and Maar is a good candidate.

He's fine right now. If anything is a problem it's his eternal sustain with sap, but it's nothing like egon's or queen's since it's selfish, and his healing aura isn't that powerful compared to everything else.

Tell you what, play MAAR against good players (not total noobs) and send me all the replays of his OP ness

Cause I feel like you don't know what you're talking about

I will usually call dibs on the lane with MAAR if im playing a ranged hero / initiator bc its free kills (he really cant fight back at all, you just feel bad after awhile)

Every single one of MAARS attacks has been nerfed, to the point where its very hard to do anything at all with him in the early to mid game

Once the next round of despair nerfs kicks in, he is going to be nothing but a giant feed target for the first 30 mins of game (not that he isn't one currently)

Maar is only strong in the late game, and needs craptons of INT to really do anything useful (outside of using front wave to damage and slow enemies, which can be rather useful in the early game)

SAP offers 0 sustainability until he hits at least 300 INT, and even thats not usually enough to save him from any 1v1 much less 2v1 situation (you never have despair anywhere close to max that early) he is better off using frostwave / fireballs till then bc they do more damage

I think all of this could be balanced out by simply reworking savior aura to be an allied resistance buffing spell

(the current version is useless and you can read why in my post about it in the patch notes)

Then at least hed have a chance to feed less early game, and be far more useful in team fights

As for your comment on his "13 abilities" all of his abilities rely on those orbs, without them he cant do jack. That means he can only cast 1 spell at a time, and has at least a 1 second lag between them. Most spells worth casting require at least 2 orbs, so that means he can cast them at best once every 2-3 seconds. Boo freaking hoo. Last I checked attack speed cap was 400% and AA heros can easily attack him 6-9 times or more in that same amount of time.

Its not till he hits about 600-700 INT or so that he really becomes a scary mofo, and even then he still is rather squishy and is usually dependent on SAP to not die. (which is about when ppl start tasering him left and right and whoevers playing him cries in frustration). In any game where MAAR actually starts to become a threat, ppl get taser. (not sure if axe counters sap too, dont see it used much)

His ULT however is incredibly helpful for counterpushing and ganks which is the main reason people still like him.

His healing aura is pretty useful too, and his damage aura melts creep waves

EDIT:

I call heatwave "fireballs"....it just makes more sense

I think MAAR is still a very good hero, just most people play him far below his potential by doing silly pure int builds on him. He can do so much more for his team if he is in the vanguard and not the rear. SAP is not even his most useful skill anymore (has not been that way for a while).

^^You always have crazy build ideas that work surprisingly well, whats your MAAR build these days?

Generally it is something like this:

Leeching, Lost Treasure, Goggles (unless I feel I need to rush superheated).

Superheated Mantle

Ihan Crystal

Barbed Plating

Sell Ihan Crystal when at full stacks and buy Nitrogen Refit

Electric Mantle

Shrapnel Cloak

Organic Carapace

The last two items really depends on enemy hero composition and their item choices. For instance if they have heroes with lots of life leech, carapace won't do squat for you because even with barbed they will be getting more health back than you damage them, so you need executioner's axe. If they have an annoying caster combo like micro/rory you need taser instead of shrapnel cloak so that you can taser micro when he blinks in at your team or else if an ally gets thrown you can taser their rory before he throws molotov on them. Also, if there is annoying Rory in the game abusing lockbox you get parallax obviously (sooner than later). Against Unix I usually will get a small hadron collider to interrupt his ultimate.

Enemy casters you can waste away and soften up with heat wave plus and frost wave as well as destroyer aura and your superheated at close range. AA heroes fully geared you simply AA with your Axe with savior aura ON THEM and they end up killing themselves before they can kill you. That is for 1v1 stuff. For teamfight oriented stuff, your goal is to prevent your allies from being focus fired by using frost wave on incoming heroes (even at close range) and slowing them with your nitrosuperheated aura and using shrapnel cloak to prevent enemies from focus firing anyone on your team (including yourself if you need to). You generally want to save its use for the perfect moment, but I usually have shrap these days on MAAR unless the other team all has caster builds. You also of course use barrier on your teammates and try to stay at least horizontal with your teammates in battles so if a Zera player jumps into the enemy team all by himself like an idiot with phase strike, you generally follow with savior aura on and try and barrier him and keep him alive somehow and keep yourself alive by using sap on whatever is around. Then when he is running away you use vanguard aura for the extra speed in shepherding injured allies out of battle.

Though I usually get plenty of kills as MAAR, my goal is to keep my allies alive and make it very costly to the enemy if they try and focus fire any of us down, because with the recent orb cooldown change it means you can keep enemies that get near you permaslowed with frost wave and if they are melee they just get kited to death. All you have to do in the meantime is keep your allies alive before you can essentially root the enemy heroes for your team to finish off.

That is not to say MAAR cannot do a lot of DPS with this build using the right skill combos such as heat wave plus a target out of your sight, charge them and call up two blue orbs, frost wave target, call up one red orb, heat wave the target, then double orb for a finishing sap. That does a lot of damage without a whole lot of intelligence on you (it would obviously do more with more intelligence but if you go full int you will be squishy and be less hesitant at closing the distance to heat wave casting range which is 8). If you do go full int, usually it is just better not to combo anything at all and stay as far away as you can and get in addition to your int items, chilling, yamato, and electric mantle for their cooldown bonuses so you can spam heat wave plus insanely fast (cooldown won't do as much for frost wave spamming because of the 1 second channel time which is affected by time scale but not cooldown).