Noob question: pub vs IH

shogigut

Read many posts about the everlasting debate between the skill level, play style, manner, blahblahblah of these two "areas". As a noob I obviously started playing in pub only, sometimes coached by good and patient players and learnt a lot, sometimes teamed with more serious noob and quitters and lucky against more noob and quitters and suddenly I become the two three people actually doing things in game.

The experience vary a lot, so how do you know you're getting better? Does my wins just involve having good teammates? Am I losing just because the opposite team is too good? Well of course somehow I can feel that I am improving but that sense of the current skill level I am at is quite hard to build up.

Can I say doing good (or at least be sensible) in an IH is a skill level bar to pass?

Not just aeon like all team games all these concepts are relatives. If all players are good you win usually cause you are doing your job well or at good level and all members of your team are doing a good job.

Pub wins depends on many factors like your skill and team skill, lucky with ragers. etc.

More you play, more better you are. Not always but it is a requirement to improve. I understand people who always surrender when they are 20 min. They can't improve cause they never play longer than that. So they can't improve playstyle and strats.

You can play exclusively pubs and still be good. Most people who in-house are just players who were good at pubs and wanted a more challenging/interesting game, and therefore joined the in-housing community.

Good pub players still have things to learn about team play when they start in-housing, as it is more team oriented. At the same time, good in-housers frequently make mistakes in pubs because they expect things of their team that don't happen in pubs.

More you play, more better you are. Not always but it is a requirement to improve. I understand people who always surrender when they are 20 min. They can't improve cause they never play longer than that. So they can't improve playstyle and strats.

Thats not true, look at Ares Dragon, or GuZ, no offense, they are nice ppl, but they dont care about improving or playing in.a serious way, and they have the same mistakes they had 1 year ago

Read many posts about the everlasting debate between the skill level, play style, manner, blahblahblah of these two "areas". As a noob I obviously started playing in pub only, sometimes coached by good and patient players and learnt a lot, sometimes teamed with more serious noob and quitters and lucky against more noob and quitters and suddenly I become the two three people actually doing things in game.

The experience vary a lot, so how do you know you're getting better? Does my wins just involve having good teammates? Am I losing just because the opposite team is too good? Well of course somehow I can feel that I am improving but that sense of the current skill level I am at is quite hard to build up.

Can I say doing good (or at least be sensible) in an IH is a skill level bar to pass?

good or bad if you come to mumble and IH with us you will be picked for the first 5 games at least so just come on over and see how it goes, and tbh there are a lot of players on mumble that are not very good

biggest difference is team play, pub players are generally greedy and build for there hero alone and not the team as a whole

Until you can play every hero well, you are not really good. There are a lot of one or two hero only inhausers who think they are the best thing since sliced bread with their "main" yet prove themselves time and time again on these forums of being completely ignorant of basic game mechanics. Perhaps if they actually played every hero, even just a little bit, they would understand the game a bit better.

So if you want to get better, try thinking on your own about each hero's strengths and weaknesses and play them a bit as the best insight you can get for how to counter an enemy hero is to know the weaknesses of that hero first hand.

Until you can play every hero well, you are not really good. There are a lot of one or two hero only inhausers who think they are the best thing since sliced bread with their "main" yet prove themselves time and time again on these forums of being completely ignorant of basic game mechanics. Perhaps if they actually played every hero, even just a little bit, they would understand the game a bit better.

There are plenty of people on mumble who are not very good at this game.

I prefer IOVOI's viewpoint there to peas'.

I have in no way expressed my viewpoint, at least not with sufficient specificity for you to be able to compare it. I was commenting on his....namely, that his stance is too extreme.

New school Aos logic = this guys hero raped me therefore the hero must be op, lets autoban it instead of learning how to counter it. 12 months later half the characters are banned in mumble. Gj.

Yeah...but....No. Sorry, but you really have no idea what you are talking about.

So if you want to get better, try thinking on your own about each hero's strengths and weaknesses and play them a bit as the best insight you can get for how to counter an enemy hero is to know the weaknesses of that hero first hand.

You don't necessarily need to be good with every hero, you need to be competent with every hero. You have to know intimately what they're going to throw at you so you know how to counter it. I play the field with about half a dozen heroes I excel at, about half a dozen I'm quite bad with, and the rest being various flavors of average; but I've played each one at least half a dozen times or so so I know what to expect when facing them. So many times I'll run into someone who honestly doesn't know that Leo reflects 70% of all incoming physical and spell damage back or that he can gain vision of them and get a speed boost when they're low health. I'm terribad with Tosh, MK, Tassadar, and Darpa and I know I could expend a great deal of effort to gain somewhat above average ability with them, but I just avoid them for the most part. I know what they do and, generally, how to combat it, but those are my weak suits. Everyone has weak suits.

I have in no way expressed my viewpoint, at least not with sufficient specificity for you to be able to compare it. I was commenting on his....namely, that his stance is too extreme.

Yeah...but....No. Sorry, but you really have no idea what you are talking about.

Today = Ss, null, toxi at some point, mk, tychus, egon,

One year ago = viron and maar

Is it a mere coincidence that most of the newer characters are all banned, is development just that bad or am i on to something? I believe african made a similar comment a while back. I feel like i got a you're an idiot but i wont go into details as to why kind of response. You know i expect more context from a veteran.

The real difference betwen pubs and IHs is that in pubs, you will find all kind of people, newbies, retards, average players, good players, etc... while on IH, you'll mostly come across players that are average or above in terms of skill.

Now, how do you kjnow if you are getting good? Simple, because you can understand more things than before and therefore you are able to make better decisions. The more you understand, the less you will panic and will have better reaction time, and when you have amased enough experience, you will be able to predict other player's moves and tactics. From there on, when you have already learned "how the game works" yo'll come to understand "how other players play the game". You can always compare to yourself in this terms.

Improving oneself usually depends on your time spent learning, practicing, determination to succeed, and willingness to learn more (good or bad). In my opinion, these 4 main things can be applied to practically anything in life. Focusing on AoS, as I see it, there are categories in the game that one must learn. For example, there are things such as:

1. Knowing the skills and what they do

2. Knowing the items and what they do

3. Map awareness

4. Team fights

5. Reaction time

and many more...

Personally, I like to think of it as an semi-infinite mastery bar. As a newbie, you probably have little to no knowledge of the skills, items, knowing when to gank, or what skills to use during certain situations so I would expect your "mastery bar" to be pretty low. Now as you continue to play and put time learning the game, you should see improvements in your reaction time, skill and item knowledge, how to be a team player etc. simply because you are learning things thus increasing your "mastery bar" in the respective categories. Your mastery bar can never be maxed out because there is always something in the game that one can learn from and improve. The goal is to get your 'mastery bar' to be as high as you can so that you are competent enough to play fluidly and instinctively. Do you understand the basics of all the heroes skills? Do you understand all the items? Do you understand the possible combinations of skills and items? Do you know the potential of the hero you're using? As you continue to play and practice, your mastery bar is a reflection of your competence.

A good way that I use to see what things I need to focus on and improve is to simply watch your replays. Similar to football, martial arts, performing arts, racing, etc. it is good to watch replays to see what categories of your craft that you fall short in. In football, coaches look at what parts of their defense and offense they should improve on. They also watch previous games of their opponents to see what parts of their team fall short. In racing, they watch replays of their runs to see what parts they struggled on in the course and where they can improve their lines. Dancers watch themselves and look at the mirror to see what parts of the dance they need to improve on in stance, balance, jump height, etc. AoS is similar in a sense that as you watch yourself and your surroundings in the replays, you should be asking yourself, how well did i do in the _______ category? Were you aware of your mini map during this time? Do you know what skill combos your opponents will use? Were you aware of the team fight that happened? What items could you have chosen differently after your core build to counter your opponents? Were you spacing and positioning yourself correctly throughout the game? Could you have ganked a lane at a certain time if you were paying attention to the map? Of course there are many other questions to ask yourself but the point is to watch your replays and on your next few games, focus on improving the categories you fell short on. As you continue to play and watch your replays and focus on understanding and learning from your mistakes, I guarantee that you will see changes and improvements in your gameplay.

After "increasing" your mastery of the different categories of the game and playing more fluidly than before, it later becomes like a chess game. For most newbies, critical thinking during gameplay is rather low simply because they are trying to learn the game, the mechanics, and what does what. But after you have a better feel, you'll begin thinking more in-game and thinking of scenarios to best your opponents. As you play, are you paying attention to your opponents item choices and thinking of ways to counter them in fights? Are you focusing on the right heroes during team fights? Before you go in to initiate, are you thinking of how and what skills you'll use in sequence in order for you to survive/beat the other team? Are you watching your health, what skill your opponents used and know the outcome if you were to go in at low health to continue to assist? What skills and attacks would you expect before you need to get out/help out? Do you/your team have the right items/skills to beat the opposing team in team fights? If, so do you know what skills to look for to play fluidly? So many other questions. But the point is, when you're able to play fluidly or by instinct without having to second guess or hesitate; you should be competent enough (at least with that hero) to have your mastery level pretty high and find ways to improve your gameplay. Learning the skills and items are a prerequisite and go hand in hand with the mastery process.

Playing in an ih doesn't necessarily set the bar for you to pass. You can play pubs and still become better than the players who play ih. Its just that, for most ih'es, the players who play are more competent than most pub players. Doing good in an ih doesn't mean that you're skill level is good enough because of the different factors in the game that can tilt the outcomes. However, ih'es are a very good way to learn new tactics and see tricks and abilities along with combination of items with different heroes that you may not have thought of thus improving your knowledge. Again, your learning process is a reflection of your mastery and the more mastery you have, the more competent you will become, thus molding a better player.

Poop sorry for the "essay" Finals week, waiting for gf to get out of class/test, forgot my book to read/study, passing time.

You don't necessarily need to be good with every hero, you need to be competent with every hero. You have to know intimately what they're going to throw at you so you know how to counter it. I play the field with about half a dozen heroes I excel at, about half a dozen I'm quite bad with, and the rest being various flavors of average; but I've played each one at least half a dozen times or so so I know what to expect when facing them. So many times I'll run into someone who honestly doesn't know that Leo reflects 70% of all incoming physical and spell damage back or that he can gain vision of them and get a speed boost when they're low health. I'm terribad with Tosh, MK, Tassadar, and Darpa and I know I could expend a great deal of effort to gain somewhat above average ability with them, but I just avoid them for the most part. I know what they do and, generally, how to combat it, but those are my weak suits. Everyone has weak suits.

Well yah I guess you have a point here, though I don't feel like I have any "main" hero, just that some heroes are better in one context than another and I will obviously roll entire teams with certain heroes all on my own while others I can help one decent ally roll entire teams. For instance, I have had a bunch of 2v5's with a decent AA hero behind me (cain, etc.) while playing my tankmaar and though I got only about 25% of the kills I could keep my ally alive and prevent him from ever getting focus fired (shrap helps of course with this) by simply getting in the way and slowing incoming enemies with frost wave and doing whatever I could to soak the damage while my AA ally kills their whole team. Then again, sometimes I play support or tank and I have a team with all AA heroes and they don't even bother to get pyre and the other team all has heroes with 4k health. Or sometimes I do an AA build (rare because.....), however I have a chicken shap team that won't stand their ground in teamfights and since I am usually the last to puss out, I am the first to die in those situations. And yes, I don't mind noobs doing dumb stuff on my team if they are willing to do their best and learn BUT I HATE COWARDS and besides cocky premade pubstomping crews and ragescrubs, this is what will get me to be not so nice more than anything else. Just do your best and don't puss out in battles and I will be happy.

Dont matter u good or not to playing IH...If u can follow few steps i list here then u can play ih no matter how your skills lvl at..

• Lower your volume whenever your team losing the game, in case someone rage and sh!t talking (if u can listen to a dog howling while playing game then just skip this step)
  • Know how to play team heroes or combo heroes such as Vortex and Molo...etc
  • Don't ever die more than 5 times with 0 Kill (some IH ppl are faultfinding)
  • follow your team when there is a gank
  • know basic stuff about Aeon

Here are the players i know that wont rage and u will learn more from :

• Highdrater
  • Peas
  • Divinesashi
  • Marchi
  • Adamantium

There are more but i just forgot the name..

SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH

I AM JUST A NOOB>>

You don't necessarily need to be good with every hero, you need to be competent with every hero.

I disagree. I think if you play IH you should play a good mix of heroes but you don't need to play every hero. Many very good players can't play select heroes, such as Garamound/Maar/Tassadar. I think to play IH you should at the very least play 5 non auto'd heroes (which are also not complete garbage heroes). In tournaments there is often no need to play every hero, normally there is a player who is going to definintly go a carry and roles are asigned beforehand. A good carry for example should play: Nova/Darpa/Boros/Shadow/Zeratul/Leo all at a high standard (tbh they're very easy to learn).

Since I have some free time at work, i will list some that comes to my mind:

1) Know general range of skills of heroes. I mean actual range in-game: "am I close enough to get wrap shard-thrown by that micro?"

2) Know approximate cool down seconds of skills: "that vorpal just surged, I have xx seconds to kill him before he surges again"

3) Learn how to move-attack, especially for ranged heroes. This implies knowing your attack speed as well. With attack speed of say 1 second, you should move for 1 second toward the enemy hero (chasing scenario), auto attack, move 1 sec further, attack, etc.

4) Know projectile speed: this applies to skills such as bola, lance, rocket, etc. If you don't know how fast your skills travel, you will not hit your faraway target.

5) Know what your enemies will do before they do it; if not, react fast enough to counter their skill as they perform the skill. "you see raynor clocking up for silencing shot - move slightly sideway and bola (if you are Boros). During raynors charge time, he cannot move"

I came up with this list pretty fast but I hope it helps... It's probably in difficulty order from easiest (#1) to hardest (#5).

If you are at #5 stage, you are considered top tier player in any MOBA game. GL :)

Hence, I prefer it to his - I wouldn't necessarily agree. If there were a spectrum I'd be closer to your side than his, which is why I said that.

He's trolling.

Dont matter u good or not to playing IH...If u can follow few steps i list here then u can play ih no matter how your skills lvl at..

• Lower your volume whenever your team losing the game, in case someone rage and sh!t talking (if u can listen to a dog howling while playing game then just skip this step)
  • Know how to play team heroes or combo heroes such as Vortex and Molo...etc
  • Don't ever die more than 5 times with 0 Kill (some IH ppl are faultfinding)
  • follow your team when there is a gank
  • know basic stuff about Aeon

Here are the players i know that wont rage and u will learn more from :

• Highdrater
  • Peas
  • Divinesashi
  • Marchi
  • Adamantium

There are more but i just forgot the name..

SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH

I AM JUST A NOOB>>