Mechanism to deal with AFK

GhostEU

If a player leaves, its usually not that big of a deal as their team is (slightly) compensated. If a player goes afk the whole game, their team gets dragged down a lot more.

What I would like to see is a mechanism to deal with players who do nothing (i.e. no damage dealt for 6 minutes). Example would be to put up an automatic kick vote where others (on their team) can decide whether to kick or not and repeat that vote every 3 min thereafter when the above check is satisfied. Alternatively, have a -kickafk command which will vote whether to kick everyone on your team who has been afking for 5+ mins.

It is simply incredibly annoying to have people ruining the game by just sitting in base and do nothing rather than quit and let their team have a fighting chance.

That is a rlly good idea ghost. Personally I have t thought of anything like that and never seen anything even remotely similar on the forums. I'm sure it's not in the game yet because the devs never thought of it. +1

Idk if you are sarcastic or not, because this idea has been proposed 1000 times

• 3 weeks later...

I still think my idea would work:

Requirements to deal with AFK.

1) Said teammate hasn't preformed an action within 10 minutes

2) Said teammate is voted by ALL teammates to be removed from game after step 1 is complete.

- Requires person to be AFK, and gives teammates an option if said player wants to keep their teammate and be understanding. Also 10 minutes is fairly long, by this time, he is pulling the team down. 6 minutes, ppl can deal with it because people are important late game.

Kick Teammate:

1) Requires a Vote of ALL teammates to remove said player from team. Proposal can only be used once per player per 10 minutes.

2) If Step 1 Passes, Requires a vote from ALL ENEMY teams to remove player. If 1 player disapproves, it will be shut-down.

- This could help ban a person, but prevent noobs from being banned. You need a global agreement to remove someone from the game. Enemies will want noob enemies, and Allies will want good allies. Thus the voting is balanced. You may say, but why would everyone vote one person off? Maybe they are lagging the game so badly, it is unplayable and both teams want that person off, even if it means being a man down. Maybe team vs team want a nice normal game, yet a troll is being annoying (altho the enemy team most likely wouldn't vote the troll of if he free feeding).

AFK is mainly an issue in pubs not IH so having the enemy team vote on it is rather daft IMO as someone will always want their KDR to improve, i.e. keep the opposing team down.

Not performing an action also is not that useful a measure. Not dealing damage to an enemy is better as this way you can see if someone is contributing to the team or not. Someone who just goes afk in base or trolls around in base would be missed by your mechanism.

AFK is mainly an issue in pubs not IH so having the enemy team vote on it is rather daft IMO as someone will always want their KDR to improve, i.e. keep the opposing team down.

Not performing an action also is not that useful a measure. Not dealing damage to an enemy is better as this way you can see if someone is contributing to the team or not. Someone who just goes afk in base or trolls around in base would be missed by your mechanism.

Your mechanism wouldn't work either then. If someone was legitly trying to troll you. They would attack a neutral or just feed. And is still dealing damage on the way. Not to mention that if you die right off the bat from respawning from a 2 - 3 minute respawn [which happens a lot if you get stun locked], you just may auto-maticly get kicked if there is no vote.

Note: My suggestes were TWO different things. First one it to deal with AFKers. Second one [kick teammate] is to remove Laggers. An auto-kick system would not work in any way. I've had many games where someone would afk for 15 minutes, but I didn't want him to leave, because they were vital and became a major importance later game.

P.S. It is very easy to troll around the system. Not very hard to. I can garentee there wouldn't be a way to kick trolls without some flawed system. [if you just had vote system, allies vote off new players, thus eliminating new players, If you had enemy vote, they can vote your strongest player off, if you had both teams vote, it will most likely be useless unless there is a lagger, if you have a system where u have to preform some type of action to stay in the game, trolls again can just preform these action at a very slow rate and not even try to help (or even hurt) your team. Maybe there is a way, but i suggest it would take pages to write, and it would take way to many Triggers and editing to make it work effectively. There are always loop holes. In my opinion, the best way to hand things like kicking with abusing, is to make it extremely difficult to kick off someone, thus, it will rarely be used, but can be used if any situation gets out of hand like major lag since all people in general can't really be trusted [some can be, others can't] (The truth =/) ect. ect.)

You realise that my suggestion is 2 part? Its not just auto kick for not dealing damage for 6 mins, its that AND a team vote.

Any system is abusable by those who know how it works or those who want to. The aim is to find a system that works most of the time to *reduce* the amount of grief AFKers/noncontributors cause in *pubs*

Someone feeding shouldn't be kicked (if they deal damage) as they might be new and learning. Someone getting stunlock killed without dealing damage for 6 mins wouldn't get kicked by their team vote. Someone who shouts abuse in base and not dealing damage will get flagged by system and likely voted out by team. As will someone who is actually afk.

You realise that my suggestion is 2 part? Its not just auto kick for not dealing damage for 6 mins, its that AND a team vote.

Any system is abusable by those who know how it works or those who want to. The aim is to find a system that works most of the time to *reduce* the amount of grief AFKers/noncontributors cause in *pubs*

Someone feeding shouldn't be kicked (if they deal damage) as they might be new and learning. Someone getting stunlock killed without dealing damage for 6 mins wouldn't get kicked by their team vote. Someone who shouts abuse in base and not dealing damage will get flagged by system and likely voted out by team. As will someone who is actually afk.

Sry, I didn't read the full thing. I've just read these posts so many times (and made same suggestion each time). Altho i still think 6 minutes would be kinda harsh for a kick. A person afk doesn't really hurt you, until it starts going for a long period of time. 5 - 6 minutes ain't no big deal. I don't really mind AFKers until it starts getting to 15 minutes or longer (altho i suggested 10 since some ppl are less patient). It is definately annoying to have someone afk for a good 30 minutes in your game :)

I personally think people who are afk for, say, 5 minutes should just be automatically removed from the game.

Your idea might work too, though, but I still don't understand why you guys are apprehensive to an auto-kick function. If people go afk in the middle of a game regardless of why, it's tough luck and they should get out.

Nothing screws things up more than complete automation of a function. There is absolutely zero harm in allowing someone to stay AFK if their team majority doesn't mind. But if your team is ok with you being gone for X number of minutes, it'd be pretty crass for the system to pop up and say, "Nein, I don't really give a damn what the players think, I'm a goddamned computer and I determine what's badwrongfun... Zis player was gone from ze game for ze designated period of time, and thus zey are removed. I am judge, jury, and executioner. No appeal possible. Seig Heil!" If the team wants you gone, a vote will accomplish nothing more nor less than an automatic kick. But if the team doesn't want you gone, an auto-kick will interfere with their decision. Hence, a hybrid system is, inherently, more utilitarian. That's the problem people have with an auto-kick function.

Nothing screws things up more than complete automation of a function. There is absolutely zero harm in allowing someone to stay AFK if their team majority doesn't mind. But if your team is ok with you being gone for X number of minutes, it'd be pretty crass for the system to pop up and say, "Nein, I don't really give a damn what the players think, I'm a goddamned computer and I determine what's badwrongfun... Zis player was gone from ze game for ze designated period of time, and thus zey are removed. I am judge, jury, and executioner. No appeal possible. Seig Heil!" If the team wants you gone, a vote will accomplish nothing more nor less than an automatic kick. But if the team doesn't want you gone, an auto-kick will interfere with their decision. Hence, a hybrid system is, inherently, more utilitarian. That's the problem people have with an auto-kick function.

but mien führer, if zi player is not removed, it will be anarchy :P

With afk people I usually just pull them out of pool and place them in front of towers as bait, but it would be nice to just kick them out too so I got the 7% buff and extra minerals per second

In all honesty though I don't really understand why there needs to be an automated component to kicking at all, if your entire team wants to kick you out of a game, there is probably a good reason, AFK or not. I have seen people go 1-20+ in games before and wished I could kick them out because honestly they ruin the game for everyone else on the team. I have seen people AFK all game and wished I could kick them out (and actually get some of their minerals). I have never wished to kick out a teammate that is doing well.

I don't get why people keep saying a votekick command could be abused, there is nothing OP about loosing players. If you loose to a 5v4 / 5v3 its bc they outplayed you, not because having less people is OP. If you suck really bad / afk and your team boots you, you will learn not to suck/afk if you want to play.

I would never votekick someone thats actually trying to learn and get better and is listening to what the team says. I have helped many new players come back from 5-10 deaths. But if someone is ignoring everything you say, and wont even buy items, or insists on running out and feeding I have to assume they are either completely retarded and speak 0 english or spanish on an NA server...or they are trolling us...and when they never reply even though you say their name 123241324 times...its pretty obvious its a troll

I would also never votekick someone that has to afk for a few mins for a good reason (unless its like 10+ and even then I would wait if they had been playing well / we really needed them)

Therefore any stupid votekicks I would block, as would many other players in games

About the only limit that would make sense is to limit it so each player can only call for a votekick 1-2 times in a game so you cant spam it like surrender

Although that may not be possible to program

All in all I think everything would be better with -votekick [playername] as an option

There is no good reason to not have one

It should be up to the team to use it right / screw themselves over