What does rank mean?

Ducktape

Well i just started playing AoS and was wondering how the ranks worked. I'm currently at 1625 whilst my veteran friend is at 0. So is higher better or is lower better? And does it work using K/D/A or wins/loses?

Thanks in advanced,

-Imran

EDIT: Just to clarify this is public ranks, just in case there is another ranking system that is used.

Rank supposedly tell you "how good you are" (LOL), but no. Afaik, it's based on your W/L ratio. Maybe your veteran friend just leave everygame he don't wanna play, so he loose X rating/ranking because of this. Higher rating/ranking is "better"

Welcome to the forums although this is not a forum intro :)

From what I understood from a previous thread a while back, the way it works is that its an implemented system that Blizzard put in that AoS is using. Like what residente said, it mainly focuses on your W/L ratio for the most part and not necessarily your K/D ratio. Everyone has their own ratings and the game engine can "see" your ranking. It does what it does, tallying everyone's ratings (probably both individually and combined, not sure again, this is just what I understood how the mechanics work).

Now, if you pay attention to your ratings during gameplay, you'll notice that even if you kill or die your ratings won't change during gameplay. Instead, the final "decision" takes place at the end of the game where you see the scoreboard. If your opposing players have a higher rating than you and you win, you will be rewarded a nice chunk of ratings (range varies, could be from like 15-50? dunno). If you lose and your opponents have lower ratings than you, you will be punished with a chunk of ratings being subtracted away (again, range varies could be like 50-100 again, not 100% sure). However, if you lose to opponents who have higher ratings than you, you won't be as punished as you would if the opposing team had lower ratings than you. If you leave or disconnect from a game in any way, your ratings will go down. Kinda like the SAT score how if you get the right answer, you're rewarded the 1 point (win) if you get the wrong answer you get subtracted the 1 1/3 point (lose) but if you don't know the answer, you only get -1/3 the point (leave).

Are the ratings important? Collectively, probably not. Individually, maybe. It really depends on you. If you're the competitive type, and keep track of such things then maybe it will be important to you. (there used to be a poll back in the earlier versions of this game online [and if you're going to ask, I usually saw highdrater at the #1 spot when I do check out of curiosity]) If, at the end of the game, you check your opponents ratings and check out that guy that was kicking your butt that has a higher rating than you and you get the satisfaction of beating that guy at the end of the game because you know he has a higher rating than you, then maybe it is important to you. Overall, ratings kinda show how many times you've played AoS. The starting rating is 1500 (i believe).

Higher ratings tend to mean that the person's won a lot of games. Lower ratings usually mean the player lost more games than wins or is simply a leaver. Why most people don't care about ratings? Because it usually tells the player at the end of the game that you play pubs (public games) and that your k/d may not be all that great because you play mostly pubs. Why can I only see the ratings at the end of the game and not during? Because it promotes leavers. Before, in previous versions of the game, it was possible to see it during gameplay but when you play a game and you see most of your teammates have low ratings and the opposing team have higher ratings, people tend to leave because of automatically thinking, lower ratings = crappy/noob players.

I guess you can say that the rating system is what Blizzard uses to determine if you're slightly, strongly favored or disadvantaged for ladder games.

everything. If your rating is high then your penis will grow accordingly. True story.

Wrong, high rating = small p3n15. They got to compensate for it. Duh. Gg wp diamond lol player... wait that patch lowered everyone's stats but that's ok because I heard they sent P3n15 pumps to all the diamond players until they get their ratings back up. Real story.

Wrong, high rating = small p3n15. They got to compensate for it. Duh. Gg wp diamond lol player... wait that patch lowered everyone's stats but that's ok because I heard they sent P3n15 pumps to all the diamond players until they get their ratings back up. Real story.

How does penis pump help a vietnamese person?