What does DPS stand for?

BTooCold

DPS stands for damage per second or how much damage can a hero dish out per second. As a rule of thumb (but not always), auto attack heroes and agility heroes reign supreme when it comes to damage per second (DPS). Every hero has their own "DPS" but some attack faster and some attack slower. At max weapon speed, heroes have about 2 attacks per second (real time I believe). So for heroes that do large amounts of damage per second have high DPS. Heroes that are most notable in "high DPS" are heroes such as Nova, Shadow, Grunty, Zeratul, Darpa and Tosh.

Other heroes such as Lord Zyrkhan, Kerrigan, Starscream that are not agility heroes can also be considered strong DPS heroes with the right items.

Abilities such as Unix's ulti (Sap), Inferno Mandrake's Martyr (W), Rory's Stevie ®, Darpa's Q (I believe), Jackson's beam (Q) are literally DPS abilities that deal damage per second.

None of the terminology guides I've read have a definition.

DPS is an achronymus for Damage Per Second, a way to meassure how much damage has been done during a delta time.

As some people have said, DPS is often used to refer to heros who can achive high damage per second ,even tough this is wrong, DPS is a metric, nothing more.

Some time ago, heros that dealt a high amount of damage where called Damage Dealers and most of the times are asociated with weapon/physical damage.

It's not wrong, it's a metonymy, now stop nitpicking to increase your post count.

Go and read again the definition of "metonymy". :), it IS wrong.

PS: I could scratch the line refering to using it to refer to some heros as wrong and i would still have the post. Now, i'll be online in NA server in about 4 hours, nick Azrael, we should meet ingame instead of the forums. What ya say?

Metonymy (11px-Loudspeaker.svg.png/mɨˈtɒnɨmi/ mi-TONN-ə-mee) [1] is a figure of speech used in rhetoric in which a thing or concept is not called by its own name, but by the name of something intimately associated with that thing or concept. Metonyms can be either real or fictional concepts representing other concepts real or fictional, but they must serve as an effective and widely understood second name for what they represent.

The damage dealer with high DPS is called the DPS of the team, I'm pretty sure it fits.