My Roulette Jackson is poor

HotGuyCalvin

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I find it very difficult to farm creeps as roulette jackson. I follow the standard defensive utility tree, with the blue gene, nitrogen retrofit, hadron collider, etc. But I find myself even in the end game with <50 creep kills. How do I make Jackson rich?

I don't find his skills useful for creep kills.

Thanks!

You could always get the mineral giving items, though when I play jackson I tend to do a lot of lane ganking....like....even at low levels coming from behind the bushed, teammate snipes/stuns, whatever, i do link and channel ray while teammate finishes....i survive due to the extra shields and teammate is either tanky or ranged probably.....so we get cash.....repeat...

If not with the mineral items nor ganking(pubs with bad teams) I try to time my magnetic link on the melee creeps well, so i tend to get 2 creep kills or 1 at least per wave...for this purpose stacking some early cheap intel items gives better chance of last hitting them, like duran pendants and the elixir that gives intel for cheap they are good for early boost damage for early ganks too, as more damage of spells = more shield from passive, though this items will delay your late game items like colider so as soon as you see you last hit/ gank effectively stop stacking small items and go for the big ones

A few points:)

1. Generally speaking, Blue Gene is a terrible item on Jackson. He really isnt a damage dealer (his skills scale rather poorly), but an initiator and one of the best sources of CC in the game. As such he should be built tanky to maximize his effectiveness. That said, everything works in pubs so whatever.

2. While he is not a great flash farmer, one can get farmed with any hero so long as one last hits well. Get the 15 wep damage talent if you are really having trouble. It helps with last hitting a lot and isnt a huge investment.

3. SHM does help with farming, but buying this would delay your warpshard...which is of paramount importance for Jackson. After you buy warshard you may want to get an SHM if you think its going to be a passive game... and you feel justified taking creeps from heroes that need farm more. I almost never get SHM on Jackson in IH games...simply because there are much better items for him. In general though, Jackson is a good ganker and an amazing team fighter. He is a hero that really shapes the outcomes of team fights. You would be best to force engagements with your team such that you can get money from kills and assists.

A few points:)

1. Generally speaking, Blue Gene is a terrible item on Jackson. He really isnt a damage dealer (his skills scale rather poorly), but an initiator and one of the best sources of CC in the game. As such he should be built tanky to maximize his effectiveness. That said, everything works in pubs so whatever.

his e scales 50% on hit and when it breaks and his q scales 50% per second. its not hard to get some nice burst on him with your combo up to 300+%int. Thats similar to a rancor getting off his snipe and all three nukes.

his e scales 50% on hit and when it breaks and his q scales 50% per second. its not hard to get some nice burst on him with your combo up to 300+%int. Thats similar to a rancor getting off his snipe and all three nukes.

50% is rather poor scaling. His Q is a highly unreliable source of damage, and should not be counted on as a significant contribution to your team's overall damage output. Like I said...to maximize Jackson's utility you really want to build him as a tank. No reason not to throw a bit of int in there, especially when good tank items offer the stat (nitrogen, paralax, etc.)...but to build him as an Int caster would be to, well, build him as a pubstomp hero that cannot rely on his teammates.

jackson isn't really ment to get kills or farm well, most of his money comes from assist in team fight, jackson doesnt deal alot of damage but his CC is just pure epic, and he is single handed the best initiator for wombo combo team fights , he breaks team fights literally, thats why his ult was just nerfed with a cast time, to win a game all you need is a mediocre jackson and some aoe like cow. rory . virgle, vorpal , a tank and a dps to clean up and its extremely hard to lose unless the jackson just ults 1 hero every team fight ,

the best part is jackson doesnt need mass items to do his job, warp shard and a paralax is all he needs, his design is to make him a int, tank initiator, hence he gets shield with his spells

Yes, I generally go tank build.

-Ihan Stacks

-SHM

-Nitrogen Retrofit

-Organic Carapace(so you have some way to heal without pool)

-Warpshard/SMC

-Barbed Plating(if there's lots of ranged AA)/Parralax(If they have lots of debuffs/silences)

-Chilling Artifact/Yamato Reactor(Chilling for Melee AA and can probably skip Barbed then since they will attack so slowly, Yamato if you want to get your Q off all the way as well as jumpstart your cooldowns so your not a dead fish in water as well as to amp spell damage and decent other stats)

Edit: ahh yes forgot Shrapnel

Personally I like SHM, it gives a bit of damage early game to team fights and creeps as well as works well with Nitrogen to slow enemies down even more, and kind of helps with huge creep waves late game, but if you decide to get enough Int to kill creeps with spells effectively, more power to you.

50% is rather poor scaling. His Q is a highly unreliable source of damage, and should not be counted on as a significant contribution to your team's overall damage output. Like I said...to maximize Jackson's utility you really want to build him as a tank. No reason not to throw a bit of int in there, especially when good tank items offer the stat (nitrogen, paralax, etc.)...but to build him as an Int caster would be to, well, build him as a pubstomp hero that cannot rely on his teammates.

I agree with you that building him tank is better for the team and overall has more utility. but 50%+50% scaling on his E for when it links and breaks is 100%int scaling on one skill alone. Getting 3 ticks off on the q isnt hard and there is another 150%int. To say he doesnt scale well with int is incorrect in my opinion. To say that he is better built tank i would agree with.

In terms of items, the only 2 I find necessary on Jackson are Warpshard/SHC and Paralax. Ihan is almost always a good idea unless your team is relying on you to rush certain utility items after your blink.

After that it depends on the game and on your opponents. Jackson is a good candidate for items like Shrapnel, Spell Buffer, and Taser, all of which are important for the team.

I agree with you that building him tank is better for the team and overall has more utility. but 50%+50% scaling on his E for when it links and breaks is 100%int scaling on one skill alone. Getting 3 ticks off on the q isnt hard and there is another 150%int. To say he doesnt scale well with int is incorrect in my opinion. To say that he is better built tank i would agree with.

Perhaps I used the term scaling too indiscriminately....the point here is that his E and his Q are not great sources of damage. If we really want to break this down into a semantic argument over Jackson's scaling in Isolation, we could, but it's kind of useless conversation. I mean, you can say his E = 300+(100%int) damage, and you would not be incorrect to say that 100% scaling is decent. Or you could say his E = 2[150+(50%int)] damage, and you would not be incorrect to say that 50% scaling is rather poor. Quite silly eh? Again, the point is that his damage potential, especially over a period of time, is not particularly great.

All of this applies to his Q as well. If you want to add up the scaling for each individual tick and say wow thats 150% scaling...I wont stop you. Lets not forget that each individual tick only does 60+(10%/sec) damage.

Blue Gene isn't good on Jax. Many other INT items that also give much more vital stats - such as health and spell resist- are so much more worth it.

TBH, Jackson's core item is Warp Shard. SHC into a group of enemies, hit E and R, fire Shrapnel Cloak, all with Nitrogen, and you can use whatever else you want- a Yamato and Super-Heated mantle work quite well. This is more for damage, but you could use any item other than those three (SHC, Shrapnel Cloak, Nitrogen).

Thank you for your suggestions my fellow comrades, I will play Jackson as many of you suggested with a tanky build.

I'll probably build him in this fashion:

IH games/serious games:

1. warpshard

2. nitrogen retrofit

3. parallax generator

4. electic mantle

5. build warpshard into SHC

6. depending if they have cc shrapnel cloak

Thanks for the suggestions guys, very interesting points.

SHM is your only answer for him unless you build him for DPS (which though fun is not really a good idea).

Also, if you get a shrapnel cloak right after that, you can clear a whole creep wave quite efficiently by simply standing in the wave for a few secs, then shraping and linking the creeps at the same time doing around 500 damage to them which will last hit pretty much all of them. If you like warp shard/SHC tactics with him, a shrapnel cloak is a good item to have because now that your ultimate channels for 1 second when you blink in and use your ultimate you can first use shrapnel cloak to prevent your channeling from being interrupted by a stun baton and prevent them from attacking you all the heroes in the vicinity will be silenced on top of that (i.e. you are essentially invulnerable for a short while).

I tend to prefer a build that has DST, SHM/Nitro and Electric with a very tanky build and just charge down my targets. If they AA me at all, they get super slowed and stunned and then I can close the gap. However, if you like Jackson with SHC to jump into a whole team as an initiator, I think going SHM and then Shrapnel Cloak is really good because you can use it both to farm and to provide an extra disable to the enemy when blinking into a group of them.