REQUEST: DRAKE GUIDE FOR IH GAMES

Psyght

I'm not exactly sure if your allowed to make requests.. but I am :p Ill edit and post your guide up here if anyone responds with a good guide. I recently decided I'm gonna learn drake better, and want to use him for IH games, I really need item builds, skill builds, and any tips and tricks i may not know. anything appreciated thanks

I will go for talents on a drake build as 0-4-3.

Defensive:I will get fitness, additional hp regen 2.3, movement speed of 13%,

Utility tree: +230 mana, +1.2 mana regen

Then I my opener item i would get duran's buckler or sustainer if you are laning with someone.

Depending on how well the game goes, if you opt to earn more money in the early game, then get miner's goggles and treasure.

But here is the main build:

1. Super heated mantle

2. Hadron collider

3. Barb plating

4. Electric mantle

5. organic carapace

6. depends on how the enemy comp is, if they are heavy with AA get shrap, if they are heavy with spell dmg get parralax.

Early game:

In the early game I will max out lance and Drake's passive first and only put 1 point in martyr. You will find that putting max points on martyr will burn out drake very quickly and it just the strength scale with burning will suffice against your enemies. At this stage it only takes 2-3 creep waves with the items and talents to regen half of your health if you play safe, so keep that in mind when you want to engage and use martyr. It is also good, if you are laning with someone to have a ranged counterpart.

So here are my skills: Q,W,Q,E,Q,R,E,Q,E,E,R,Y,Y,W,R,W,W,Y

I always get martyr last because he burns too much of his hp in the early game.

Pull engagements: If you are within the space of 3 units, it is incredilby easy to engage an enemy and pull successfully from that distance. Keep in mind that the closer you are to your enemy, the better the chances you have of pulling them toward you. The enemy will have less reaction time from the short distance of the lance to pull the enemy towards you. It is good in chase scenarios to put martyr on and pull them forward giving both a lance, stun and martyr damage which from that combo can devastate early game squishy heroes. When they run away, it is the best way to throw the lance because unskilled players tend to run in a straight vector.

In the mid game hopefully you have superheated mantle and at least a warp shard or hadron collider. You want to be initiating in the team engagements. If you want to initiate you must assess carefully if there are any heroes on the enemy team that can silence, stun, or manipulate your ability to cast Drake's ult.

Your engagement will be:

Martyr, then warp shard into the enemy finding the position to center yourself optimizing damage. You can throw in a quick lancing strike, then ult.

I like to get hadron collider because it is an item that makes the engagements easier, gives the opponent less chance to run away and also has good health stats for Drake. it is also a good mechanic for drake to run away as well.

In the farming phase, you want to assess how much damage you take from the creeps but often, Drake is one of the best strength hero farmers because of the martyr. Position yourself as closely as possible near the melee creeps and ranged creeps. You want to sandwhich drake between them to optimize your damage.

Late game: You can follow the mid game fight but if the enemy is more wary of your team, you can hadron collide forward, then pull but be sure to be out of range of towers. The warp will catch unsuspecting heroes off guard and the lance will pull the enemy for your team to eat.

Aiming the lance: You always want to aim a margin higher, lower, based on the vector of the enemy character. Giving the lance this additional space will take into account the time the lance travels to how far the enemy moves. Always give a bit of extra slack when aiming to pull the enemy in.

If you have any further questions about Drake, let me know. I played a few inhouses as Drake, but I am mainly a pubstar Drake. I can give you builds and more detailed tactics for both sides. But if you want a full guide, I'm sure there already is a guide, go to character guides from the home page, and I believe there is a character guide for Drake.

Also, refer to Drake guide in v. 1.29. It is near the bottom of the page but you can't miss it.

Edited by HotGuyCalvin

To build off of Calvin's suggestions: Don't forget you're handy dandy Ihan Stacks, the extra health is nice as well as giving you more mana sustain and a bit more damage with Ult and Lance. Also if no one else on you're team get's a Spell Buffer, it can be quite useful. Great regen and great spell resist to protect yourself from yourself and heavy spellcasters as well as movement bonus and team bonus.

I don't see why people get shm on drake...The build should be

Start out with Lost treasure, and Miner's Goggles if you plan on building eternal drive.

1. Lifetech

2. Warp Shard (Later into hadron)

3. Korhal

4. Spell Buffer

5. Barbed

6. Nitrogen

Can trade out korhal later on if somebody else gets it

id skip the korhal for a sharpnel cloak, for more utility drake is gona be in the middle of team fights

Why do people say there is one "build" im sorry but there isnt any such a thing as a fixed "build" for any hero youve got to change and modify your "build" depending on what part of the game it is and who your versing. if your playing vs a shade a nova and a crackling its probaly a good idea to get a shrap cloak and barbed plating but if your playing vs jackson raynor and maar you want to get parralax and spell buffer it always varys and thats why i include many builds in my guide so you can fluxuate depending on who your vsing.

anyway the top items a drake could have are :

-Shrap cloak

-SHM

-Organic

-yamato

-Nitrogen

-Barbed

-(Only if you have 2 or more AA carrys) Hive symbosis

-A Phantom menace can be useful if you need some mobility late game

-A warp shard/small hadron colider can be useful for escaping and chasing.

there are a few more that i mightve forgotten but mix and match those depending on who you play and use some common sense. The entire point of a guide is to get you on the right track and then youve got to rely on your wits and know how to use what we told and gave you.

Personally I prefer:

-Super Heated

-Organics

-Eletrical

-Barb

-Life Tech

-Spell Buffer (Switch for different item if your team already has a spell buffer).

Other Items that are good:

Yamato Reactor

Shrapnel Cloak

Warp Shard (I don't get it because majority of the time I either pull enemies, or the enemies engage me and I final all of them.)

Parallax

Order of Abilities:

QWQEQRQWWWREEETRTT

While matryr may seem like a lot of damage, note that either way both you and enemy will be taking same damage. If you have it at higher rate per second, enemy will die fast and get less hits on you, or less light to hit.

Not only that but i like to get matryr lv up second because you will do much higher damage during ultra.

I like to get pull first since you will combo Q W R.

There is also an INT build:

-Argus

-Gravity

-Yamato (Prob first item)

-Super Heated

-Organics

-Nitrogen

(-Ihan along the way for stacks.)

Primarily, your combo will totally own. Note while you deal massive damage, you will take a lot of damage yourself, especially early game from matryr.

There are a lot of ways to play Drake and build Drake. Some builds suggested here don't even have a carapace or superheated mantle which makes it very hard to farm liberally with martyr. I suppose if you want him as an aura mule who stays out of combat except for when using his lance to pluck, then I guess a no carapace build is OK but otherwise you will find yourself running back to the pool every 10 seconds from tanking too much damage with no good way to regenerate it.

I have a new build that works very well on him as it gives him strong spell resist and armor, but also gives him the ability to be strong offensively as well since martyr does good damage but not great damage and won't stand up to enemies with solid lifesteal.

I start off with pretty common items on drake:

Superheated Mantle - Helps farming efficiently greatly as well as it stacking with martyr, not to mention it gives solid armor which Drake desperately needs ASAP.

Organic Carapace - You have to be pretty conservative with martyr until you get this item so you kinda need this item soon on him unless you stack a bunch of cheap health regen items early on like DST, Spell Buffer, etc.

Barbed Plating - More armor, and makes AA carries more hesitant to attack you until they get enough lifesteal to counter this item.

Electric Mantle - Good for its utility in that when an AA hero attacks you, it stuns them long enough to make plucking very easy and close the distance. Also gives you 20% spell resist which you obviously need on Drake.

Sliptyde Scythe - 33% spell resist when attacking, and increased movement speed when attacking and 7.5 armor from its agility.

Isomorphic Pyre - With sliptyde you now have a solid AA attack late game to take deal real offensive power while having all the defense you really need to go toe to toe with any hero. Since your AA damage is primarily spell damage, you ignore the high armor agility heroes have and pyre is obviously very good at dealing with very tanky heroes that you simply can never kill as Drake with martyr, lance, and your ultimate as you simply don't do enough DPS late game to kill much of anything.

I have used other builds on him that trade out sliptyde and pyre for lifetech and some other defensive item like korhal or spell buffer, but really I find the late game AA items give you the best of both worlds in at least being enough of an offensive threat that enemies will actually be forced to attack you, rather than just ignore you and go for your more squishy allies.

WOW tons of great information, thank you all that have replied, gonna take time but ill respond to you all:)

There are a lot of ways to play Drake and build Drake. Some builds suggested here don't even have a carapace or superheated mantle which makes it very hard to farm liberally with martyr. I suppose if you want him as an aura mule who stays out of combat except for when using his lance to pluck, then I guess a no carapace build is OK but otherwise you will find yourself running back to the pool every 10 seconds from tanking too much damage with no good way to regenerate it.

I have a new build that works very well on him as it gives him strong spell resist and armor, but also gives him the ability to be strong offensively as well since martyr does good damage but not great damage and won't stand up to enemies with solid lifesteal.

I start off with pretty common items on drake:

Superheated Mantle - Helps farming efficiently greatly as well as it stacking with martyr, not to mention it gives solid armor which Drake desperately needs ASAP.

Organic Carapace - You have to be pretty conservative with martyr until you get this item so you kinda need this item soon on him unless you stack a bunch of cheap health regen items early on like DST, Spell Buffer, etc.

Barbed Plating - More armor, and makes AA carries more hesitant to attack you until they get enough lifesteal to counter this item.

Electric Mantle - Good for its utility in that when an AA hero attacks you, it stuns them long enough to make plucking very easy and close the distance. Also gives you 20% spell resist which you obviously need on Drake.

Sliptyde Scythe - 33% spell resist when attacking, and increased movement speed when attacking and 7.5 armor from its agility.

Isomorphic Pyre - With sliptyde you now have a solid AA attack late game to take deal real offensive power while having all the defense you really need to go toe to toe with any hero. Since your AA damage is primarily spell damage, you ignore the high armor agility heroes have and pyre is obviously very good at dealing with very tanky heroes that you simply can never kill as Drake with martyr, lance, and your ultimate as you simply don't do enough DPS late game to kill much of anything.

I have used other builds on him that trade out sliptyde and pyre for lifetech and some other defensive item like korhal or spell buffer, but really I find the late game AA items give you the best of both worlds in at least being enough of an offensive threat that enemies will actually be forced to attack you, rather than just ignore you and go for your more squishy allies.

I really like this idea, very out of the ordinary which is what I like to do, I'll have to pub it up and try out this build, I like the idea of some AA items built in, cause drake i feel is kinda useless after you lance ulti, which usually cant kill tanks late game. even though your my nemesis i suppose i will thank you for the time you put into typing this, you seem to have great game knowledge.

Personally I prefer:

-Super Heated

-Organics

-Eletrical

-Barb

-Life Tech

-Spell Buffer (Switch for different item if your team already has a spell buffer).

Other Items that are good:

Yamato Reactor

Shrapnel Cloak

Warp Shard (I don't get it because majority of the time I either pull enemies, or the enemies engage me and I final all of them.)

Parallax

Order of Abilities:

QWQEQRQWWWREEETRTT

While matryr may seem like a lot of damage, note that either way both you and enemy will be taking same damage. If you have it at higher rate per second, enemy will die fast and get less hits on you, or less light to hit.

Not only that but i like to get matryr lv up second because you will do much higher damage during ultra.

I like to get pull first since you will combo Q W R.

There is also an INT build:

-Argus

-Gravity

-Yamato (Prob first item)

-Super Heated

-Organics

-Nitrogen

(-Ihan along the way for stacks.)

Primarily, your combo will totally own. Note while you deal massive damage, you will take a lot of damage yourself, especially early game from matryr.

Ya I think me and you are on the same page, I really like getting maytr early even though it does a lot of damage to you, i feel its worth while cause you can destroy enemies with it.

I havent tried building INT drake yet, I'm too nervous :P but ill defiantly have to give it a try, THANKS! You always have to be that guy :p

Why do people say there is one "build" im sorry but there isnt any such a thing as a fixed "build" for any hero youve got to change and modify your "build" depending on what part of the game it is and who your versing. if your playing vs a shade a nova and a crackling its probaly a good idea to get a shrap cloak and barbed plating but if your playing vs jackson raynor and maar you want to get parralax and spell buffer it always varys and thats why i include many builds in my guide so you can fluxuate depending on who your vsing.

anyway the top items a drake could have are :

-Shrap cloak

-SHM

-Organic

-yamato

-Nitrogen

-Barbed

-(Only if you have 2 or more AA carrys) Hive symbosis

-A Phantom menace can be useful if you need some mobility late game

-A warp shard/small hadron colider can be useful for escaping and chasing.

there are a few more that i mightve forgotten but mix and match those depending on who you play and use some common sense. The entire point of a guide is to get you on the right track and then youve got to rely on your wits and know how to use what we told and gave you.

Awesome ya thats what I was looking for, although Ive played AOS/SOTIS since release day pretty much, I really haven't gotten into drake so much and so I was just wanting some good starting information to make sure I was headed in the right direction, which it looks like I am, and ill defiantly check out your guide mate.

I will go for talents on a drake build as 0-4-3.

Defensive:I will get fitness, additional hp regen 2.3, movement speed of 13%,

Utility tree: +230 mana, +1.2 mana regen

Then I my opener item i would get duran's buckler or sustainer if you are laning with someone.

Depending on how well the game goes, if you opt to earn more money in the early game, then get miner's goggles and treasure.

But here is the main build:

1. Super heated mantle

2. Hadron collider

3. Barb plating

4. Electric mantle

5. organic carapace

6. depends on how the enemy comp is, if they are heavy with AA get shrap, if they are heavy with spell dmg get parralax.

Early game:

In the early game I will max out lance and Drake's passive first and only put 1 point in martyr. You will find that putting max points on martyr will burn out drake very quickly and it just the strength scale with burning will suffice against your enemies. At this stage it only takes 2-3 creep waves with the items and talents to regen half of your health if you play safe, so keep that in mind when you want to engage and use martyr. It is also good, if you are laning with someone to have a ranged counterpart.

So here are my skills: Q,W,Q,E,Q,R,E,Q,E,E,R,Y,Y,W,R,W,W,Y

I always get martyr last because he burns too much of his hp in the early game.

Pull engagements: If you are within the space of 3 units, it is incredilby easy to engage an enemy and pull successfully from that distance. Keep in mind that the closer you are to your enemy, the better the chances you have of pulling them toward you. The enemy will have less reaction time from the short distance of the lance to pull the enemy towards you. It is good in chase scenarios to put martyr on and pull them forward giving both a lance, stun and martyr damage which from that combo can devastate early game squishy heroes. When they run away, it is the best way to throw the lance because unskilled players tend to run in a straight vector.

In the mid game hopefully you have superheated mantle and at least a warp shard or hadron collider. You want to be initiating in the team engagements. If you want to initiate you must assess carefully if there are any heroes on the enemy team that can silence, stun, or manipulate your ability to cast Drake's ult.

Your engagement will be:

Martyr, then warp shard into the enemy finding the position to center yourself optimizing damage. You can throw in a quick lancing strike, then ult.

I like to get hadron collider because it is an item that makes the engagements easier, gives the opponent less chance to run away and also has good health stats for Drake. it is also a good mechanic for drake to run away as well.

In the farming phase, you want to assess how much damage you take from the creeps but often, Drake is one of the best strength hero farmers because of the martyr. Position yourself as closely as possible near the melee creeps and ranged creeps. You want to sandwhich drake between them to optimize your damage.

Late game: You can follow the mid game fight but if the enemy is more wary of your team, you can hadron collide forward, then pull but be sure to be out of range of towers. The warp will catch unsuspecting heroes off guard and the lance will pull the enemy for your team to eat.

Aiming the lance: You always want to aim a margin higher, lower, based on the vector of the enemy character. Giving the lance this additional space will take into account the time the lance travels to how far the enemy moves. Always give a bit of extra slack when aiming to pull the enemy in.

If you have any further questions about Drake, let me know. I played a few inhouses as Drake, but I am mainly a pubstar Drake. I can give you builds and more detailed tactics for both sides. But if you want a full guide, I'm sure there already is a guide, go to character guides from the home page, and I believe there is a character guide for Drake.

Also, refer to Drake guide in v. 1.29. It is near the bottom of the page but you can't miss it.

awesome guide bro, you are good at it :P addressed all my major questions. I'll have to just play him more to figure out exactly what I dont understand/what builds i have quesitons about. overall really helpfull, now to just pubstomp for awhile to get the hang of the lance :p

In general for Drake:

-Get Armor. Drake has the crappiest AGI growth of all the heroes.

-Get Aura items. You are the tank/initiator.

-Get Strength/Health items. You are the tank.

-Get Spell Resistance. You have lots of Health no matter what you do, so if you don't Pyre and your own Martyr will kill you.

So since those are our goals; what items work?

-SHM works well for Armor early-game, but as the game goes on you'll probably need to get a Barbed Plating. SHM should NOT stay in your final item set-- it doesn't help much late-game.

-Aura items: Spell Buffer, Korhal Vanguard, Coat of Arms. In particular, Spell Buffer and CoA help you the most.

-Strength items: CoA, Darwin's Might, Organic Carapace

--Health items: Life-Tech Nanosuit, Small Hadron Collider

-Spell Resistance: Electric Mantle [also counters AA heroes, so supplements your low armor well], Spell Buffer, Mossberg Taser [gives you some support as well]

So what are final Drake items from that? [Note: "UTILITY" means that this slot varies game to game depending on enemies]

-Spell Buffer, Barbed Plating, Electric Mantle, Organic Carapace, UTILITY, UTILITY

Possible items with supporting reasoning:

-Coat of Arms: Gives you Strength, Weapon Speed, and CDR-- which also is given to your allies, so that makes them all stronger [though it doesn't make you much more tanky].

-Super Heated Mantle: Although it doesn't give too much [400? Health, 5 Armor, 40 AoE DPS] it is relatively cheap and builds out of a 5GP10 item; making it better.

-Life-Tech Nanosuit: You can toggle Martyr on to cause the Unique to trigger; so you can shoot up to 65% Health pretty easily once you get it. It also makes you just so hard to kill that they may stop trying-- which gives you the ability to get...

-Olympic Torch: And I recommend that you don't get this item as if you die you lose quite a lot of STR; but if you can get it and not die then you become ungodly tanky.

-Nitrogen Retrofit: Somewhat backward thinking here-- this tacks on a slow to your Martyr which makes you an even better chaser; or gives you an amazing escape ability.

Talent-wise:

Need:

Discipline [+7% Spell Resistance; Defense T1; second talent] gives you needed SR.

Integrity [+8 Armor, Defense T1; 4th talent] gives you needed Armor.

Rec:

Fortitude [+180 Health, Defense T1, first talent] gives you Health which means tanky which means Martyr damage.

Vigor [+2.3 Health Regeneration, Defense T1; 3rd talent] helps a lot.

Prodigy [+12% Cooldown Reduction, Utility T1, 1rst talent] lets you use more skills? e_e"

Swiftness [+7% Movement Speed, Utility T1, 3rd talent] MS = yes!

Hope that helps.

EDIT:

For lances, try to predict where the enemy will go-- or throw your lance in exactly the opposite spot, juking their potential juke! ;)

Basically just get used to how fast the enemy moves and pluck where they will be when your pluck gets there-- Molten Lance takes about.. 1 second to travel.

Talent-wise:

Need:

Discipline [+7% Spell Resistance; Defense T1; second talent] gives you needed SR.

Integrity [+8 Armor, Defense T1; 4th talent] gives you needed Armor.

Rec:

Fortitude [+180 Health, Defense T1, first talent] gives you Health which means tanky which means Martyr damage.

Vigor [+2.3 Health Regeneration, Defense T1; 3rd talent] helps a lot.

Prodigy [+12% Cooldown Reduction, Utility T1, 1rst talent] lets you use more skills? e_e"

Swiftness [+7% Movement Speed, Utility T1, 3rd talent] MS = yes!

Hope that helps.

The 180 health talent is a big waste IMO. It doesnt scale at all into late game, and the early game benefit is marginal. That said, if you are looking for an early game benefit, the energy regen talent will serve you much better. Secondly, protect is invaluable for tanks, so you will almost certainly want that. Movement speed is nice, but its really not needed.

You can get a SHC but if you're leading , i recommend not to . Get an impact dial instead. The extra INT is really helpful . Also , Rohtube said if you get spell resist , the damage that inflicts onto you when you press your W procs on spell resist. Does that makes sense? Meaning if you have 20% spell resist, I THINK you do 100% dmg to them but 80% dmg to yourself which is a good thing i guess . i Really dont know how does spell resist work , so i might be wrong . Eitherway , Lance > Impact (When you see them getting lanced , impact > W > R ) That's if ur initiating one by one . Either option you can do is , W > Impact in > R and continue to press W while Lancing any weak heroes that tries to run . My final build on Drake is ; Impact Dial , Spell Buffer , Organic Carapace , Shrapnel Cloak , Paralax and a Nitrogen retrofit

The 180 health talent is a big waste IMO. It doesnt scale at all into late game, and the early game benefit is marginal. That said, if you are looking for an early game benefit, the energy regen talent will serve you much better. Secondly, protect is invaluable for tanks, so you will almost certainly want that. Movement speed is nice, but its really not needed.

Have you finally decided to take up drake? I'm sure his openis is much appreciated in your arams! G.G.