Does Maar's ult have utility?

HotGuyCalvin

Hello forum, this is a discussion about Maar and his ult and whether it has utility at all stages of the game or not.

When we think about an ult, we think about abilities that are more profound than the Q,W,E and so I want to state

seeing how Maar has been nerfed to -50% int on sap and -50% int on heat wave, should the Maars ult be changed

to something with a more supportive or offensive ability?

There are quite a few debates about Maar's spamability and so I want to suggest an ability that manipulates hero movement

instead of damage, burst dps, etc. I'm referring to Maar's V.2/3 ult, but nothing too severe to that power.

It is good for getting a kill on someone who just barely escaped, as you can teleport in their escape path. I've had mutiple occasions where I nearly got a kill, used Mass teleport to teleport on the border line of their heal to get the kill. It is a very good ability. Although i have to say it is not as strong as before, since maar kinda lacks close range Burst. (He use to have fire wall which did good slow and damage, and would be very good after a mass teleport, and his Energy Spear [E lv1] before it was changed.) Since alot of his abilities take time now to cast and require precise aiming, the ability has been nerfed because of his other abilities being changed for different purposes.

MAAR's ult is very good in my opinion. It can be used in so many ways other than the obvious ones which are to get around the map and gank heroes from behind by yourself or with a few teammates tagging along. You can also use it to tower bomb an enemy tower with a creep wave grabbed from base and you can use it to transfer a giant mass of creeps stacked up in one lane back to your base so that you can coordinate a massive push with creeps with your team (i.e. you have 30 or so creeps about to run into a tier 3 tower, so you warp back home with as many creeps as you can grab and they will make the long trek back but your team can then take the time to plan your push with a crap load of creeps to help you get the enemy tower down).

If you get transport, you have even more mobility with MAAR to the point you really don't need to stick with your team much of the game because you can always be there where the action is in an instant. Fun things you can do against dumb teams is to simply use transport to warp to one lane from another when you see a gank coming, then when you suspect another gank coming you warp back to the original lane using your ult. Meanwhile the other team has wasted several minutes running back and forth trying to gank you which leaves your team available to do other things.

how about we rework maar to have his q burst him forward similar to vorpal doing spell damage, his w doing a radius slow that increases gradually as he channels the ability, his e grants him extra weapon damage if he stays still for a period of time, and his ulti be oh idk... lifting every enemy hero in a radius of say...10?

The people that are all for keeping Maar's ult only explain a use of the teleport in situational circumstances.

They keep relating to the fact that you can teleport to gank. However, this ability is not very lucrative and lacks applicability in many stages of the game.

What point does leveling the ult to max do? It just shortens the cool-downs. There is no scaling with the ult like the other heroes. Every other hero has an ult that is actively scaled even with timing, or movement manipulation. But simply teleporting over to a location on the map, given the odd chance that your team is playing an offensive role.

What about the defensive side? Now I reverse the team-fight construction to the losing side. If Maar is trying to play defensively, the ult serves absolutely zero purpose. The point of this thread is to explain that the teleport is very linear and situaitonal. It does not apply to situations throughout various stages of the game given its supposed power as an ult. If you think you can teleport to an enemy tower and back door it as Maar, then you must be living in Disneyland. Defensively, you can get out of team fights, but you have a 5 second channel. During the channel, if a projectile hits you, creep attacks you, the channel will not work. So even defensively in tight situations it does not help.

A lot of players from this thread want the old ult back where you lift enemies in the air, and they take no damage within a blast radius around Maar for a certain period of time. This ult was incredibly special and unique to Maar and I think it would make his role as a caster more lucrative. His playing mechanic currently seems so slow with pressing w, e,, press again for sap, w, w, heat wave (hoping for the chance that it hits the enemy), then again ... w, w, (hit or miss) then a 5 second channel to wherever you want to go. Maar needs to be faster, quicker, as a caster he ain't got time to flob around, watch the clock, and jerk on out from looking at the enemy Nova.

And also, with the new teleport skill that every hero can use for an unlimited number of times, Maar's ult has half the utility it used to since other heroes and Maar can use the D skill to go back home. Now Maar's ult is quite situational on the odd times of the game where you have the opportunity to gank from a good position.

Try this troll stratagy with it:

Have a Grunty and Maar

Grunty Rockets across map,

Grunty rocket hits? Use -Timescale Aura and Yamato (Makes mass teleport channel faster)

Teleport entire team on that enemy (Enemy will just get out of stun that duration)

-WIN-

P.S. I think you can stop ur own channleing of Mass teleport if you get a Lockbox(Lockbox self). Not ideal, but it would be good idea to get it if you wanted to troll this way.

That is a tactic that is very rare and situational.

1. You need a grunty

2. the grunty needs to actually connect the rocket far enough for a 4-6 second stun

3. You need to have a team together near the Maar. This creates an opportunity cost of your team for farming, pushing, ganking other characters, Aeon, Creep killing, etc.

This is very situational and is based on the assumption that your team is on the offensive role to have the capability to gank a hero.

Maar is a very interesting and unique hero, no need to change him. The only thing I would change is to have the Heat Wave orbs affected by timescale- this way you could activate Yamato Reactor, shoot off some orbs, and the enemy would have nearly no chance of escaping them, as they would fly faster and then explode as soon as they reached the target. The ulti has great utility, as said before you can push and save towers in the landing stage, and also later if you have good vision and timing it allows you to completely butcher an enemy team.

The people that are all for keeping Maar's ult only explain a use of the teleport in situational circumstances.

They keep relating to the fact that you can teleport to gank. However, this ability is not very lucrative and lacks applicability in many stages of the game.

What point does leveling the ult to max do? It just shortens the cool-downs. There is no scaling with the ult like the other heroes. Every other hero has an ult that is actively scaled even with timing, or movement manipulation. But simply teleporting over to a location on the map, given the odd chance that your team is playing an offensive role.

What about the defensive side? Now I reverse the team-fight construction to the losing side. If Maar is trying to play defensively, the ult serves absolutely zero purpose. The point of this thread is to explain that the teleport is very linear and situaitonal. It does not apply to situations throughout various stages of the game given its supposed power as an ult. If you think you can teleport to an enemy tower and back door it as Maar, then you must be living in Disneyland. Defensively, you can get out of team fights, but you have a 5 second channel. During the channel, if a projectile hits you, creep attacks you, the channel will not work. So even defensively in tight situations it does not help.

A lot of players from this thread want the old ult back where you lift enemies in the air, and they take no damage within a blast radius around Maar for a certain period of time. This ult was incredibly special and unique to Maar and I think it would make his role as a caster more lucrative. His playing mechanic currently seems so slow with pressing w, e,, press again for sap, w, w, heat wave (hoping for the chance that it hits the enemy), then again ... w, w, (hit or miss) then a 5 second channel to wherever you want to go. Maar needs to be faster, quicker, as a caster he ain't got time to flob around, watch the clock, and jerk on out from looking at the enemy Nova.

And also, with the new teleport skill that every hero can use for an unlimited number of times, Maar's ult has half the utility it used to since other heroes and Maar can use the D skill to go back home. Now Maar's ult is quite situational on the odd times of the game where you have the opportunity to gank from a good position.

That is a tactic that is very rare and situational.

1. You need a grunty

2. the grunty needs to actually connect the rocket far enough for a 4-6 second stun

3. You need to have a team together near the Maar. This creates an opportunity cost of your team for farming, pushing, ganking other characters, Aeon, Creep killing, etc.

This is very situational and is based on the assumption that your team is on the offensive role to have the capability to gank a hero.

Hence why i said it was a troll situation. For fun.

What point does leveling the ult to max do? It just shortens the cool-downs

just shortens the cooldowns

just shortens the coo

just shortens the

Maar's ulti is probably one of the best-scaling in the game. Because the CD is so low at lv3, you can literally be anywhere on the map. However I do agree with you that the teleport skill linked to talents is BS and unfair to maar. However this calls for a change to talents, not maar.