Int DARPA

lOvOl

So a certain moderator was joking about my int Shadow build (actually none exists as their intent was to flame me with sarcasm which of course is a super responsible thing for mods to do), and it got me to thinking about unconventional builds on other AA heroes that might be strong.

Well, DARPA is one of those heroes whose Q scales 250% with intelligence as it does 90 + 50% int over 5 seconds assuming the target has 3 vendetta stacks on them. That means with 400 intelligence in a build I came up with you do about 1500 burst damage. If you initiate with a sunflare gun which on average will do about 1000 burst damage to any given hero. That is 2500 burst damage. Add in a star fury and you have another 800 after two procs (one on jump, and one on using your Q, or E). Then of course there is any weapon damage you do on top of that.

So I tested out my build in a few games and actually did better than with some of my other builds as squishy heroes pretty much would instamelt to the spell damage I was doing.

Another nice thing about this build is DARPA's passive reduces enemy weapon damage by 10% for each vendetta stack for a maximum of 30% reduced weapon damage. Stack that with a shrink ray and now the target has its weapon damage reduced 65%, which will really hose bruiser AA heroes that depend on leech for their sustain. Causing a Kerrigan to go from 300 weapon damage to 100 weapon damage is pretty devastating to her, as is the case with other heroes.

So this is the build I have been using is:

(1) Leeching Saber, Lost Treasure, Miner's Goggles

(2) Pyre

(3) Flare Gun

(4) Ihan Crystal

(5) Sunflare Gun

(6) Sell Ihan Crystal when stacks are complete and buy a shrink ray

(7) Sell Lost Treasure and buy a star fury (this gets you to attack speed cap with pyre and shrink ray)

(8) Sell Miner's Goggles and buy a nitrogen refit (more int, health, and a slow debuff with your pyre good on finishing off what you hurt late game)

(9) Sell Leeching Saber and buy Gravity Edge (late game tanks will have plenty of spell resist so you want to penetrate it somehow since most of your damage will be spell damage)

Works like a charm and really does crazy burst damage with DARPA. Obviously some games DARPA has problems standing his ground if you don't have a reliable tank on your team, so having the option of bursting away squishies so that you can kite their tanks afterwards and kill their whole team I have found is very strong with this build. On top of that, you don't get owned s badly by barbed plating and executioner axe like many AA heroes that stack lots of physical damage have happen to them when their sustain is dependant on lifesteal.

So does anyone else seriously use a build like this on DARPA? At first glance it sounds ridiculous, but if you look at his mechanics and actually try this out you might be surprised how viable and how strong this build is on him relative to the more popular pure DPS builds.

I like to dedicate going pure Int first, so i don't get pyre//flare gun first. Of course it would be much better just to follow to build you went, for easy minerals//better use early game.

The issue with INT darpa, is that it isn't as effect towards an entire team (it can't exactly be a carry unless enemies spread out, then it works awesomely.)

You rely so much on items tho ):

I just like getting int darpa as quickly as possible (going straight to Argus).

I've only done it like twice(but then again I've built every hero int at some point or another) and had good results with Darpa. The only problem i could see is if they get a paralax u have like a 2 second window to get ur q off before its dmg is significantly decreased and u become worthless. Though this is a problem when playing any dot heavy heros.

IOvOI, You are my nemesis I love to flame you, so here is flame. YOU ARE BADDIE OMG

Yes it must be frustrating in games when you play Bio and I am the only guy on my team who buys a superheated mantle to counter you and then you waste all your ults trying to kill me, rather than the noobs on my team who don't realize that you can't kill the other team if you keep instadying to Bio's ult over and over. Then again, depending on the hero I play, I save a lot of noobs with that item as well.

Maybe since Bio was nerfed (slightly) I will start playing him a bit again as I used to play him a bunch in 5.0 but in 6.0 he was too cheesy for my tastes.

That being said, you are a good player in my opinion.

Holy crap. Just had a pub game against a premade (I think) and went 28-0 with him as the game ended a 3v5 (us 3) because two of our players "got bored". Granted the other team had one feeder tosh, but they had some good players as well. You can basically one shot NOVA with sunflare and procing star fury alone, but throw on a Q for all that spell damage and GG. Of course DARPA can do very well when fed with any DPS build, but this game he felt very strong to the point of cheesy relative to other builds I have used on him. I mean if a noob like me can go 28-0 with him, just imagine what those super awesome godly IH players could do (-;

It shudn't work as effectively tho If they have stunners and are in a group.

Seems like everytime i go int darpa, they got the darpa counters.

Grunty + Rory + Raynor + Jakk +(Can't remember 5th).... So annoying... Lockbox + Rocket + Molo + Silencing shot + Kill shot Silenced. And I got hit by the shots half way in jump. (weird i got hit from the location i jumped from, yet i was no longer there, currently was in the middle of the air for a good 0.75 seconds.)

Owl, there is no point in getting a 5GP10 item if you don't build them into stuff. They will generally cost you more than you benefit.

let's do math:

-Leeching Saber: Cost: 700. Therefore, you must hold onto it for 59 minutes to get the cost back.

-Miner's Goggles: Cost: 800. 67 minutes.

-Lost Treasure: Cost: 925. 77 minutes.

E_E

I wouldn't get the Lost Treasure or the Miner's Goggles and instead just get the components to make the later items [e.g. instead of getting Miner's Goggles, I would get a Emerald Mox and a Pulse Regenerator-- items that build into Ihan]...

But then again I always rush Ihan. XD

I think your math is way off here Eli

Owl, there is no point in getting a 5GP10 item if you don't build them into stuff. They will generally cost you more than you benefit.

let's do math:

-Leeching Saber: Cost: 700. Therefore, you must hold onto it for 59 minutes to get the cost back.

-Miner's Goggles: Cost: 800. 67 minutes.

-Lost Treasure: Cost: 925. 77 minutes.

E_E

I wouldn't get the Lost Treasure or the Miner's Goggles and instead just get the components to make the later items [e.g. instead of getting Miner's Goggles, I would get a Emerald Mox and a Pulse Regenerator-- items that build into Ihan]...

But then again I always rush Ihan. XD

I think you are way off here on your math and not sure how you are calculating all of this. Each item gives you 5 gold every 10 seconds so that is 30 gold per minute. Over 10 minutes that is 300 minerals and since you get half your money back when you sell it, you pretty much break even a little after 10 minutes. I usually don't sell my first gold producing item until about 40 minutes into the game, unless my farming is very poor and then I hold onto them longer. On top of that, they all contribute to good sustain early in the game which is very important for laning so you are not making unlimited trips to the pool all the time. Unless you are rushing a lockbox on Rory or some other item that will guarantee you a lot of early money, probably through kills, it is usually best to get all three of those items.

And rushing ihan is silly. You want items that help improve your farm first (superheated, AA dps items), and then get ihan as it provides no utility and is more of a mid game item that helps give you some mana and regen and a little bit of tankiness until you replace it (which I do after the stacks are complete before I sell a gold producing item). I see you playing Egon all the time and have no idea why you won't rush a superheated on him first as he is a terrible farmer without one, and hoping to score a bunch of kills early in the game for your income is a risk that won't pay off against a conservative team (i.e. one with brains). Maybe you like going pure int with egon, but that is another discussion entirely as to whether that is a wise way to build him or not.

Not trying to be hypercritical, but last game I played with you was against a premade team and you left after 5 deaths (granted your lanemate was an idiot, but you guys were being too aggressive against nova in the long lane when it was obvious that nova player was going for a short term strategy of stacking duran machetes in the hopes you guys would wander down there and get owned). Had you built Egon a little stronger early on, you might of at least been able to neutralize the lane which is your main goal in the long lane as it is usually not in your favor to try and press it.

I often get Ihan in pub. One of 3 situations will happen. A) The game is short and you overrun your opponents with ease. Whether to get Ihan or not is a moot point; you won anyway. B) The game is short and your opponent overruns you. You may have had a better chance if you had an item with more immediate benefit. C) The game is long and you get the maximum benefit from Ihan. It's better in most cases to go ahead and get the Ihan.

eh, once u throw team coordination into that, it becomes more complicated. i'd get ihan if i was going to carry/be primary spell damage. otherwise i would spend the money on a stronger item so that i can help my team's carry snowball

seeing as its int darpa, i can't really see it being played as support, so ihan would be a fine item

-snip: Math-

Oh, right. I did forget to halve their costs, so you can just halve the time, can't you? :P

-snip: Itemization-

Well, my SC2 froze in that game so I decided to just buy items and then quit e_e"

But other than that, I get Ihan because it's good early on.

Maybe I should start building my heroes for early game, but I don't really know. =X Sometimes I build for early-game, sometimes I don't.

Eliwan - it takes around 25 minutes on average for gp items to fully pay for themselves.

IOVOI - Whale came up with the idea of int darpa a few months ago and had the same build except, I think, for shrink ray. I believe he had an argus instead of that.

In regard to INT DARPA overall: Building him DPS allows him to farm more easily due to a lack of AoE, and building him AA provides more sustained damage, which is often necessary in a fight. In addition, Debuff immunity really screws over INT DARPA.

Eliwan - it takes around 25 minutes on average for gp items to fully pay for themselves.

IOVOI - Whale came up with the idea of int darpa a few months ago and had the same build except, I think, for shrink ray. I believe he had an argus instead of that.

In regard to INT DARPA overall: Building him DPS allows him to farm more easily due to a lack of AoE, and building him AA provides more sustained damage, which is often necessary in a fight. In addition, Debuff immunity really screws over INT DARPA.

He came up with the idea and posted it where? Conversations among IH players over mumble don't count. Also, I am pretty sure other people have tried out Int DARPA as well, so I was just posting my experiences about it all. And you are correct parallax screws with his Q but parallax screws with a lot of skills in the game.

In a serious game, I would only go Int DARPA if I had a team that had burst damage as well (Cyprus, Rancor) and a reliable tank. In serious games I build him very tanky because of all the one skill kill cheese in the game (Zera, Cyprus, Nova, Boros, etc.)