Unix - Early - Mid - Late - Some success

zazzn

Discussion

Part 1 - Build Pubs

Part 2 - IH usage

Part 1 - Current pub usage

Discussion

Unix is a fun hero to play because of his stealth sort of like rancor and all other hero that hide in the back ready to rape. The only problem is the way the current skills for unix are setup make him pretty much a hero that is weird to play.

Early Game

So if you play him with talents for mana you can cast about 2 rounds of 6 marines out before you run out of energy that means you'll win the creep wave but that's about it, you really can't push to the tower with this because you will run out of mana. So early UNIX is very weak and I believe this is where he needs a buff. Although extremely helpful for ambushing or evading UNIX's lvl 1 Q pretty much is relegated to doing nothing since his W does so little damage early game and his auto attack is pretty trash (In comparison to sentry who's animation takes no time at all to pop off) and his infested marines really can't do anything since anyone with half a brain will stay out of range or AOE them to death.

Mid Game

This is where UNIX can really help shut down AA carries. Also it's this point that he has some ability to start doing anything useful like pushing a tower or helping in team fights. By about level 6-10 you should be able to use your W to help disable in team fights while hiding and your R to help kill ect. UNIX should also be very effective of staying out of team fights to push towers with infested now since he can easily replenish mana on thors/tanks and even creeps. At this time you should have enough underground speed that you can actually do something useful as well. Like follow potential ganks who are jungling.

You should be able to get a few kills here or at least assists to help the team get to a winning scenario. However, if your team is failing badly can't can't handle a team fight you will be relegated to back dooring/dieing.

Late Game

Well he's not nearly as bad as he used to be but his W/R combo can really molest AA carries and even help cripple tanks. He usually can easily get owned by most agi heros that know how to counter him but he's still a useful hero in the sense of his disable and life leech/tank ability. Making tazer not remove the tentacle if it's already active would be an amazing buff, that would certainly help him and put him on par with Rory since only Paralax would counter the suck, but by then you may have lost half your life.

Part 1

So here's my pub build that consistently gets me quite a few kills and even god like status's. Note though this does not really work against IH much since most players will be good enough to know what is going on.

So I use a 1/3/2 talent build

1 - 5% spell damage increase

3 - Armor/Spell Resist/Zeal

2 - Swiftness/cooldown reduction

Skills tree

E/W/Q/Q/Q/R/Q/W/W/W/Y/R/Y/Y/E/R/E/E

I use the marines to take a full neutral camp and warp back to buy miners goggles so that I can gain income for the first 15 min of the game. My goal is to sustain the lane since you can only use one round of 6 marines before you are out of mana with these talents. By the time you get to around LVL 6 you should be able to buy the superheated. Once you LVL 6 and super heated it's a free farm of the neutrals as you now have unlimited mana and lane push.

At this time I also purchase a serum, for the extra int / CD... Aside form pushing lanes most people don't have elixirs to deal with you yet and since you are such a non treat they usually don't bother anyways.

Once you have the mantel, you can follow people underground doing small amounts of damage in the creep wave, usually they dont even notice and think it's just the creep wave, once they are low enough you can slime and suck life. Because you are right under them the super heated is also doing an extra 40DPS resulting in the kill of most squishy agi heros. Also if you know they are really derping you can just follow them around with out creep and they don't know why they are burning while you giggle yourself to a god like.

After the mantel, you'll probably be part of lots of kills or assists to them which is where a blue gene comes in and just makes you that much more powerful.

Finally, at this point in the game you have to decide on the next items.

Either a tazer (if there is a buried bio), TPI or nitrogen. The nitro helps you capture people for teammates to rape. Since the nitro procs on the superheated, people simply cannot getaway form you and you set them up for deaths with your team as you follow them underground with your slow procing on them.

Part 2

IH - Well no one has figured out how to really make him viable becuase we haven't played him much since he was so bad in the past.

lmaooo no wonder he's useless early game for you... you max his Q before anything else!! EWWEWRQ. pay attention to the map. if you are the long lane, like all unix's should be, then you should sentry the river. My skills are 0-3-3 for unix. Build an Ihan first starting with that item that gives +200 energy. That, two mana pots, one health pot and a sentry ward should be enough to set you up for a while. You do not need an item like superheated mantle to help with farming... you're unix ffs! Build up until you have ihan and take it asap to start gettin those staXXX. That's the only item i ALWAYS get first. the rest are dependent on what's happening in the game: blue gene if there's alot of ganking/hero killing for sure though.

What i found out (which doesn't make sense since almost everything cancels unix's ulti) is that a fungal from an enemy unix doesn't cancel the ulti. How fuc kin retarded!!

Also, FIX THE F UCKIN TENTACLE BUG!!! If unix dies while doing his ulti, his tentacle is permanently showing... burrowed or unburrowed. idk why this hasn't been fixed yhet

I really disagree with your skill order. I only like to pick one level of Q early on. Usually it goes like this, E W W Q W R. Once you get level 6 you should pretty much be roaming as much as possible getting max stacks on your blue gene or if you're doing good ihan* * @ level 6-10 you usually win your tower with marines*.

Only burrow when you go to gank usually. Also i disagree with the mana problems with Unix, You should only be using 3-4 marines per wave- Only use burrow early game if you need to get away, No point staying underground not aaing. If you find yourself having mana troubles play defensively, using marines @ tower and waiting till level 6.

Also the greatest thing about unix mid game is his ability to 1v1 any hero without a silence/stun, i suggest warding their jungle, burrowing directly under them, then w + r.

I like your idea about superheated tho.

I'll play some unix games today and test it out :D

Also, why is this in character balance? Maybe create a separate post for this part.

Making tazer not remove the tentacle if it's already active would be an amazing buff, that would certainly help him and put him on par with Rory since only Paralax would counter the suck, but by then you may have lost half your life.

EDIT: Any team that has a silence/stun composition, you're going to need a taser with.

All caps is entirely right, your entire build for unix is pretty fail im amazed you get any kills...

As for getting the superheated, your totally ruining your element of surprise by carying that around, when it comes to hero killing unix is an assassin announcing to everyone with eyes that hey im here is a bad idea.

OMG, the blind leading the blind... Ihan is a good item but not a first item on unix, your first item should be isolator, then xel cartilage for the hp, then maybe ihan... you primary item on unix is yamato, the sooner you get it, the better chance you have in getting kills. & don't forget to AA. The biggest problem with nubs is that they think that unix is a perma-burrowed hero... he's not, he's been built to deal damage through AA too... what do you think his slime trail is for? it slows movement speed of any following hero to the point where they cannot catch you & lets not forget about any running hero trying to run from your gank, get infront of the bastard & run infront of him = one dead runner.

As for his skills, i usually go E,W,W,E,Q,R,W,W,E,E,Q,R,Q,Q,Y,R,Y,Y but his W should be the first skill to be max'd, after that marines, then the Q. Just because his marines aren't as good as they were before doesn't mean they're useless, learn to use them properly & you'll see how effective they can still be.

Items best suited for unix are : Yamato (the best item), nitrogen retrofit, Argus crystal, Ihan crystal (but sold after stacks are recieved), Gravitiy edge (Every INT hero's best friend), Symphonic seed, Shrapnnel cloak.

To end off, there's nothing wrong with unix as he stands now in pubs, he's in a good place, he's a average skill hero, not very noob friendly as he use to be before, which is a good thing, it incourages you play him more before you know how to play him which inturn incourages you play AoS more to learn how to play better.

Ihan is a super solid first item. +200 energy to start plus mana/health pots. build up to it by farming and start the stacks asap. by ~20 minutes, you'll have full stacks and you wont have very much need for ihan's health/mana regen (because of ulti) so you can sell it. why buy xel cartilege for hp when you can just get your ihan to stack... lmaooooo. buy that shap when you go nitrogen.. not early game.

again you show me your incometance for improvement... seriosuly, aren't you capable of comprehending the importance of isolator? Look i'm not going to argue with you, you use your build & i'll use mine. You have fun now!

I build Unix very tanky as his ult scales OK with intelligence, but is unfortunately one of the easiest abilities to counter in the game if it is the only thing you have going for you. His ult gives him a lot of effective hit points in a battle until it is inevitably blocked somehow so though you can score kills early on when enemy heroes have not farmed a taser, stun baton, or lockbox, eventually those items will be farmed if the other team sees you as a threat and then you need to ask yourself what role are you going to play to help your team.

If you have barbed plating on you and they don't block your ult, you can tank a ton of damage and return it to the enemy in a teamfight as an initiator by going:

(1) Fungal target and any other enemies facing you

(2) Target enemy hero with tentacle

(3) Impact dial forward up front to the target

You will obviously be taking a lot of damage so high armor and health and some spell resist will be necessary to survive or at least survive long enough for your team to clean up. Even then I find getting ihan at some point, a nitrogen retrofit, and the little amount of int from impact dial is enough to kill most squishy heroes outright late game.

Now of course some will say the proper sequence with impact dial is to get close to the target, then use fungal and tentacle and use impact dial when they start running away to do maximum damage, but in this case that is not your objective as your goal is to initiate for your team and lock down a target for someone else to kill while softening up the enemy team's AA heroes from the damage they do to themselves thanks to barbed plating synergizing with your spell leech.

again you show me your incometance for improvement... seriosuly, aren't you capable of comprehending the importance of isolator? Look i'm not going to argue with you, you use your build & i'll use mine. You have fun now!

serious lack of logic. somebody diagnose this retard and send him some medication!! He hasn't said anything to disprove anythign that i said ahahahahaha

Comment: This seems like a hero guide... Not Balance Hero.

Anyways:

Skill Tree i like best:

EWWQWRWQQQRETTTREE

Unix Marines are very strong early game, but the fact that leveling up only helps casting range, basicly a useless thing to level up, of course having 9 range is ok, but it is completely unnessisary to have R15 casting range on a summon, that takes a long duration to even spawn. It is similar to having raynor fully level up his Marauders first so the marauders can slow -.-

You don't even need burrow early game, as you can't attack when burrowed, and why would you need to burrow. For a gank with no abilities? Of course it is nice for an escape tactic, but a decent person could easily do that, and unix marines early game shud be able to push the spawns, before you are in any sketchy situation.

His Fungal is definately needed. Higher damage, and longer immobolization time, meaning that final will have highest effect, and you burst (or over time damage watever it is) will be much higher.

Items for unix? Meh... Many items would work with unix...

• 2 weeks later...

unix is going to be 1 of two things

1. very powerful

2. completely useless

it depends on your and there team comp, its the luck of the draw, if other team has a comp like, null, rancor, rory, drake, darpa... , etc.. they all have a stun, disable and thus render your ult thus you useless,

but vs a team with little stun unix is a pretty great assassin, I.e taking out a core hero before a team fight, like a nova

Shrapnel, Taser, Impact Dial, Yamato, Argus, and Gravitys Edge with Ihan stacks sounds good to me, though lacking some hp. But your Shrapnel and taser will help to counter Stun Baton and silences/escapes, Impact can be used during your ult to keep you close to your enemy as they flee, Yamato for obvious reasons during ultimate and Argus and Gravity for major damage with it. But this is only if you're doing 1v1s in a pub. If they have competent team play and are trying to counter you this probably won't work as well.

Shrapnel, Taser, Impact Dial, Yamato, Argus, and Gravitys Edge with Ihan stacks sounds good to me, though lacking some hp. But your Shrapnel and taser will help to counter Stun Baton and silences/escapes, Impact can be used during your ult to keep you close to your enemy as they flee, Yamato for obvious reasons during ultimate and Argus and Gravity for major damage with it. But this is only if you're doing 1v1s in a pub. If they have competent team play and are trying to counter you this probably won't work as well.

This is what makes him very hard to play when you focus on his usage as scoring kills with his ult because you need to use so many utility items at once in succession to get reliable kills.

First of all there is stun baton. You need shrap against that. Then there is taser which you need to prevent from being tasered or lockboxed or having a stun/disable skill target you. Then you want impact dial to stay sticky and nitro refit to slow their retreat. Then there is the problem of getting up close and personal since being burrowed will do almost nothing against decent players who will get some form of detection and that usually means a warp shard/SHC as well.

I generally build Unix a lot different than most people, but if you want to focus on his ult for assassin capabilities I think you are usually best off gettin SHC and taser for utility where you in effect blink in at close range to a target, fungal and taser them, and use your ult on them with nitro retrofit to slow them and then your other 3 int items of course would be yamato, argus, and grav edge. If they have heroes with stun baton then maybe you will want to replace the taser with a shrapnel cloak if you can do that since AA heroes typically will not buy taser or lockbox themselves.

This is a problem with Unix and Jackson at the moment in that it is too easy to disrupt channeling spell right now and stun baton is an item the game could obviously do without, or at the very least stun baton should not cancel channeling abilities. Hopefully this gets addressed because at the moment playing these heroes can be very frustrating against competent players.

• 2 weeks later...

A situation i see every game with unix and nova:

"Unix burrows gets close to nova BAH fungal ulti. Nova stays still until she is low hp then she shoots at unix 3 times and kills him. Unix types WTF and then try to kill that nova every time and every time he dies and types WTF"

A situation i see every game with unix and nova:

"Unix burrows gets close to nova BAH fungal ulti. Nova stays still until she is low hp then she shoots at unix 3 times and kills him. Unix types WTF and then try to kill that nova every time and every time he dies and types WTF"

Probably because you are building Unix wrong. There are plenty of decent builds on him, though I think Unix is a bit UP at the moment against competent players because there are so many things in the game now that interrupt his ultimate with stun baton being the most brain dead counter on ranged heroes. At least before the enemy team would have to get a taser or lockbox if their heroes didnt have a stun or silence, but now there are a lot of technical things Unix has to do to be able to prevent his ultimate from being interrupted. Basically, if you go for an int build on him you need 3 utility items just to be able to use your ult reliably against good players and those items are small hadron collider or impact dial, taser, and shrapnel cloak. Your other 3 items are probably Yamato, Grav, and Argus or Yamato, Nitrogen and Argus. One cute thing you can do with SHC though that is really nice is that if you are burrowed you can warp directly on top of your target (actually you will be under them but hopefully you get the point) making it really hard for them to target you with some sort of counter but you have to be very precise about this. Then during that 1 second stun you fungal them and ult. You do this with enough skill and you can cause a lot of rage, but even then stun baton will still interrupt your ult so you would need to use shrap as well.

You need small hadron collider/warp shard to close the distance by blinking onto the target, and fungaling them, though you can use impact dial by first fungaling then ulting, then closing the distance with impact dialing yourself to the target. You need taser to prevent the hero from jumping away as it is kind of pointless to to try and kill darpa or cyprus without taser, and you need shrapnel cloak to prevent stun baton or the super high leech builds from ruining your day with simple ranged autoattacks. You also of course need to execute all of these items and your abilities very quickly for all to go well and that is a pain in the butt to do and very unfun, but that is how you have to do it if going pure caster Unix.

I tend to get impact dial and nitrogen and then go pure tank with barbed on Unix these days because of how annoying it is to play caster Unix in a competent way. Nevertheless, your ult gets interrupted a lot and you don't get a lot of straight up kills, but your life leech gives you a lot of sustain while the enemy focus fires on you and injures themselves thanks to barbed. Then assuming your team is not a bunch of pansies they should be able to clean up. If your ult gets interrupted you have enough health to live another day, meanwhile you spam marines and fungal as best you can and use your sticky trail and slow aura from nitrogen and superheated to snag enemies for your team to pick up. This means you are always in the vanguard so you need to have a lot of health and armor for this to work on him.