Hero Endangered Species List

lOvOl

With all the new heroes recently, there are some heroes you don't see much anymore either because they are seen as underpowered or else are not too fun.

First on the list is Micro. I think he is still a very good hero and a very troll one with warp shard and taser (two broken items that should be removed/changed BTW), but I just hardly ever see him anymore, at least in public games. Contrary to popular belief, there are builds you can use on Micro that are good individually in netting him kills and don't always depend on having a competent team as support in order to accomplish much, nevertheless I just don't see him much.

Second on the list is Mandrake. I rarely see him either, probably for similiar reasons you don't see many Micro players in that most people don't know how to play him and understand what items he needs these days to be good individually as well. He also takes some skill when laning and though his farming potential is huge, most people don't know how to farm with him in all stages of the game and as a very item dependant hero I think this might be one reason he is unpopular nowadays.

Another hero that I think is very good with the right items but rarely played is Tosh, probably but due to his general squishyness early on and the builds people use, not to mention he can be a hard hero to play with a bad team and does not have great mobility is one of many reasons I rarely see him played these days.

Then there is Vorpal I hardly ever see either, probably because he can be pretty mediocre as an AA hero and that is how most people build him. He can be very good with a tank build and with an organized team to set kills up for him he can be very powerful with an intelligence build as well. Nevertheless, I just don't see him played very often.

Aside from total new users playing their second game (cause first question people ask in their first game is what is a good hero to play and then their next game they play what everyone tells them to play), I don't see many Kerrigan players either. Kerrigan is arguably one of the strongest AA heroes in the game, yet she just is not played that much.

Are there any other heroes falling to the wayside in popularity these days?

Balrog, tassadar, dustin, and Tychus are heroes I haven't seen played for a few days in pubs... Drake just isn't good enough to be played... Not without good team support anyways, which you don't usually find in pubs.

In a pub game, the top 10 heroes I never see played are Kerrigan, Tychus, Erekul, Tassidar, Tosh, Biotron, Drake, Rory (unless they are a premade, then, almost always there is one), Micro, Unix with the ones nearer to the left played less. These are all strong heroes, yet require some experience, insight and knowledge to play correctly (For example, does anyone know the best Kerrigan build? I certainly don't and I imagine few people even here do). The fact that these aren't picked often in pubs doesn't bother me as much as the fact that the heroes that ARE picked are played awfully. (Based alone on the last 10 Nova's I've seen, both on my team and other teams, I would say she is the most underpowered hero in history of this game. Is she? No, she is closer to the extreme end of the other spectrum. But did any pub player play well with her? Best kdr on a nova, in the last 2 weeks, that I've seen was 3-4-6.)

I think it depends on servers because I've seen a lot of these heros in pubs.

You see Tosh in pubs? I knew you weren't one of us...

But other than that, the other heroes are fairly common in SEA pubs. Drake seems to be a rather popular pick for 1st timers since a flaming hydralisk looks pretty cool. Micro is common since he's probably the best initiator. There seems to be a Vorp doing Ihan+Ulti every game too.

In a pub game, the top 10 heroes I never see played are Kerrigan, Tychus, Erekul, Tassidar, Tosh, Biotron, Drake, Rory (unless they are a premade, then, almost always there is one), Micro, Unix with the ones nearer to the left played less. These are all strong heroes, yet require some experience, insight and knowledge to play correctly (For example, does anyone know the best Kerrigan build? I certainly don't and I imagine few people even here do). The fact that these aren't picked often in pubs doesn't bother me as much as the fact that the heroes that ARE picked are played awfully. (Based alone on the last 10 Nova's I've seen, both on my team and other teams, I would say she is the most underpowered hero in history of this game. Is she? No, she is closer to the extreme end of the other spectrum. But did any pub player play well with her? Best kdr on a nova, in the last 2 weeks, that I've seen was 3-4-6.)

Other than Tassadar and Tosh and Drake and Micro and Kerrigan of course, I see the others you cited quite a bit. Unix is a popular cheese hero even though he is easy to counter with just one item you are forced to farm (bossnerd gayzer).

On Kerrigan though, there are a lot of ways to build her, but I have always gone pyre, nitro refit (so she can chase and kite, plus it is great for her ultimate), organic carapace, force of entropy, coat of arms. Basically, you score kills by throwing down your ult on a target, throwing your boomerang to slow them, close the distance, activate force of entropy and bone armor, and kill.

Against some heroes you are just going to have to substitute a bossnerd gayzer for your coat of arms or an electric mantle when dealing with zera or shadow, but in general this is more of a kiting/skill build than the typical kerrigan build stacking tons of lifesteal with a bandits artifice with pyre and contamination shard.

Heroes I never see: Mule

Heroes I rarely see: tosh, kerrigan, balrog, tychus, tassadar, grunty, unix, ergon, brawler

Heroes I never see: Mule

Heroes I rarely see: tosh, kerrigan, balrog, tychus, tassadar, grunty, unix, ergon, brawler

i played most of these characters only yesterday and tosh is by far my favourite character.

Archived