Suggestion for Feeders (mainly for pubs)

Lottski

In just about every pub that has a new player that feeds (or just a feeder in general), tends to drastically ruin the balance of the game and/or cause rage quits galore. I'm sure I'm not the first to mention this concept, but it would help (the pub environment at least) if there was a diminishing return on hero kills.

Here are my thoughts on the system. Make it so that the minerals rewarded for killing a hero will scale down based on that hero's kills/assists. Something along the lines of this.

((1+Kills+Assists)/Deaths)^0.2

You will likely have to set the 0 death value and positive K/D ratio at 100% to avoid errors.

Examples of the Ratios are listed below.

Kills+Assists Deaths % Reward

0 1 100%

0 2 87%

0 3 80%

1 3 92%

0 10 63%

My hope is that this will alleviate some of the frustration of feeders without completely removing the incentive to kill them. At the same time, assists are included in this mix to allow for support and tank heros to still perform their role but not penalize the enemy team for them not getting kills.

Let me know your thoughts as I know this is constantly a frustration in pub games and would likely help to increase the overall enjoyment of the pub experience by allowing new players to learn without being flamed as hard as they currently are.

One problem i find in this, is that the person getting the kill gains less minerals per kill (Maybe 200 minerals only at some point) yet if he dies with a godlike or watever, enemy will gain +900 minerals for 1 kill. The bounty system kinda helps this in a indirect way, but it would make a major difference on actual games that don't have feeders.

u would have to work a system out better. as in if they get an assist or kill it resets it. for example if a person is feeding and is a noob they more then likely are not going to get assist or kills very often but someone who is feeding but is helping the team and assisting alot. the noob one yes let his worth be lower but the one who is acutally doing something dont make his worth be lowered because even though he might be worthless they are still in the fight and should be worth as much in killing them as the next hero.

in other words dont punish the enemy for killing targets in prioity order.

I like the concept but IMO what should be done is have a vote to kick people from game. I'm not sure if its a blizzard mechanic or a develporer mechanic since its custom. Tonight i've played in 5 games and each game had a troll. One who would just ring us as lord z and run us into enemy tower killing us both. I'm sure that having a vote to kick option might ruin pubs by the chance of people being dicks but at the same time it could help imo. Oh yea realised that aeon has become the #2 most played custom game is problably due to the reason of feeders but I feel like a lot of people just come in to the game and troll to piss people off to make themselves happy for wasting people's time.

One problem i find in this, is that the person getting the kill gains less minerals per kill (Maybe 200 minerals only at some point) yet if he dies with a godlike or watever, enemy will gain +900 minerals for 1 kill. The bounty system kinda helps this in a indirect way, but it would make a major difference on actual games that don't have feeders.

If you build the equation in excel, you can see that the ratio will not provide a linear relationship between kills/assists and deaths. Even listed above shows the 0-0-3 will give an 80% reward where 1-0-3 will give a 92% reward. The 200 minerals you mention would have to be a 0-0-10+ record with the hero being at level 18 (which would be very unlikely). So the situation you had laid out is not even applicable. Regardless, just because a current reward system for ending killing sprees exists, that doesnt mean that this system cannot be tweaked once a different system is initiated.

I like the concept but IMO what should be done is have a vote to kick people from game. I'm not sure if its a blizzard mechanic or a develporer mechanic since its custom. Tonight i've played in 5 games and each game had a troll. One who would just ring us as lord z and run us into enemy tower killing us both. I'm sure that having a vote to kick option might ruin pubs by the chance of people being dicks but at the same time it could help imo. Oh yea realised that aeon has become the #2 most played custom game is problably due to the reason of feeders but I feel like a lot of people just come in to the game and troll to piss people off to make themselves happy for wasting people's time.

I agree that it would be nice to have a kick vote for trollers and afkers, but this could get frustrating for new players if they get kicked because they arent playing well. Either way, the proposed system will help (to some degree) soften the effect of trollers and feeders.

I'm pub exclusive these days, and I cannot support this.

Sure, it sucks when you et a feeder on your team and end up getting out-leveld way too fast, but producing diminishing returns is not the answer in my opinon. It actually punishes good play as well as feeders.

Example:

As Balrog, especially early game, I will go suicidal to put hurt on a rancor or nova laning against me. They are so fragile that early, that you can often kill them 3-4 times before they start getting comfortable, and that weakens them throughout the game so instead of a God-Carry you have an AA DPS that can be handled easily enough...resulting in more deaths from that hero.

Why on earth should I be punished for finding a way to cripple Nova?

I'm pub exclusive these days, and I cannot support this.

Sure, it sucks when you et a feeder on your team and end up getting out-leveld way too fast, but producing diminishing returns is not the answer in my opinon. It actually punishes good play as well as feeders.

Example:

As Balrog, especially early game, I will go suicidal to put hurt on a rancor or nova laning against me. They are so fragile that early, that you can often kill them 3-4 times before they start getting comfortable, and that weakens them throughout the game so instead of a God-Carry you have an AA DPS that can be handled easily enough...resulting in more deaths from that hero.

Why on earth should I be punished for finding a way to cripple Nova?

If you do the math, assuming you would kill them 4 times (quite a bit assuming its a decent nova/rancor), you would lose a total of 170 minerals (assuming 300 minerals per kill). This would by no means greatly impact your effectiveness in the game.

Nor would this change the fact that you have stunted the carry's early farm and reduced their effectiveness in the late game.

While this would slightly "punish" good players, it does not have a substantial enough effect to stunt a good players game. You still get minerals for every kill, and you still prevent enemy heros from farming. This would just help to slow down a snowball from a single feeder on the team. Once the feeders learns a little bit and starts getting involved in team fights (i.e. getting assists), the mineral reward for killing them would increase drastically with each assists.

Also, as a side note, I am by no means saying that the listed equation is perfect. It could be tweaked to scale with kills/assists more. Something along the lines of 1 kill/assist counts for 2 deaths. The post was meant to present a concept more than anything.