Rework Barbed Plating

MuskieSlap

I think barbed plating should be an active item with better reflection damage. I still feel that some hard carries can just melt through some heroes and there needs to be an item that helps prevent a swift death. The only other item that can prevent it is sharpnel, but I have always felt that barbed plating should be an active item.

Barbed Plating

+10 armor

[Active] Reflects 80% physical damage and increases armor by 20 for 5 seconds. 30 second cooldown

Uh...well it used to do this, and it was 150% of the damage. The problem with this was that your opponent could use - or have an ally use - a disabling spell or just WAIT for the barbed to wear off, then slam you with impunity. Shadow, in particular, would have fun dropping you into his vortex and your 3 second active was fairly useless by the time you got out of there.

The passive is the way to go, the person who wants to kill you MUST attack you if they're DPS hero, thus they MUST take damage for that engagement.

I was also wondering if say an Argus or a Yamato could overall increase the amount of spell damage they take when they attack you. I was using a pretty awesome vorpal build that was Ihan (sold later for carapace), Barbed, SHM, Argus, Gravity Edge and Nitrogen, I didn't have to do anything when a fed Nova started attacking me as she just killed her self very fast.

Yes, Argus passive and Yamato active will increase spell damage and Barbed damage return is spell damage. Gravity Edge will turn part of it into true damage. So 30% * 1.20 (Argus) = 36% * 1.25 (Yamato) = 45%. With Argus and Yamato, you'll return 45% of their physical damage as spell damage. Throw a Gravity in and you return 15.75% as True and 29.25% as Spell.

This item forces carries to either get solid leech, or kill themselves. Some people even think that it is too strong in its current state.

I think once the crits get fixed to deal physical damage instead of true damage, barbed will be much more effective (if not borderline OP). Assuming the plan is still to make crits deal physical damage.