What is the definition of a carry?

FruitNinja

I know it nominally means "a hero that gets stronger as the game goes on," but what does it really mean?

In LoL, for example, ranged carries cannot solo an enemy team. They are considered carries because they provide a vital component of a late-game team (DPS). I'm not supporting LoL in this case (I dislike that aspect, among others, since it seems narcissistic in practice), but their definition of carry seems to be different from that of AoS.

It seems to me that a lot of carries in AoS can simply kill an entire team by themselves. Look at Nova (can kill people in two seconds, leeching back to full, then continue to the next), Derpa (kills one person at a time before anyone can react, then jumps), Zeratul (disables most of the team and instagibs 2-3 squishy people), and so on.

What I'm asking is what people envision a carry to be. A key component of late-game teams? Or a champion that singlehandedly destroys teams?

And which is better for gameplay?

I've seen every hero carry, though it is substantially more difficult to carry with some heroes than with others.

A carry whoever you would tell to go win the game at the pivotal moment when it's possible but difficult to do so (AA), or the hero who creates that possibility (Caster). This probably isn't the traditional definition, it's just an opinion.

In LoL, for example, ranged carries cannot solo an enemy team. They are considered carries because they provide a vital component of a late-game team (DPS). I'm not supporting LoL in this case (I dislike that aspect, among others, since it seems narcissistic in practice), but their definition of carry seems to be different from that of AoS.

It seems to me that a lot of carries in AoS can simply kill an entire team by themselves. Look at Nova (can kill people in two seconds, leeching back to full, then continue to the next), Derpa (kills one person at a time before anyone can react, then jumps), Zeratul (disables most of the team and instagibs 2-3 squishy people), and so on.

Carriers in Dota or LoL cannot kill entire team by themselves simply because of the amount of CC availiable in those games. Now in Dota there are items providing magic immunity for long periods of time, however there are CCs going through it. At the same time dota provides items granting powerfull CCs to any member of the team, thus requiring teamplay to actually alllow ure carry to kill everything. LoL is more about kiting(Tristana/Vayne) and peeling enemy heroes from ure carriers ( Rammus/Xin ).

Now regarding AoS carriers one shottign stuff. Nova is a glass cannon which dies in around 2 sec and was never picked tournament iirc.In order for derpa to do so he requires to build ultra glass cannony and still die in 1 sec. Zeratul is all about positioning and spreading around. Everything like this happens in Dota and LoL pubs, fat Vayne and Void, Nasus and Magina can casually stomp entire enemy team because its 5 random people with low skill and no communication.

In tourny most popular carriers were Grunty - Lots of hp / Kerrigan - Lots of hp / Toxi - Fast/Slows attackers / Derpa - crazy escape mechanism. In cereal gaming in both LoL and Dota carriers are required to have survivalability items which drops their dps quite noticeably. In AoS tourny every carry had tanky items not to get instagibed.

In all 3 games carriers provide and are required for huge amounts of damage output, however completly reliant on perfomance of the 4 other members of the team.

Carriers in Dota or LoL cannot kill entire team by themselves simply because of the amount of CC availiable in those games. Now in Dota there are items providing magic immunity for long periods of time, however there are CCs going through it. At the same time dota provides items granting powerfull CCs to any member of the team, thus requiring teamplay to actually alllow ure carry to kill everything. LoL is more about kiting(Tristana/Vayne) and peeling enemy heroes from ure carriers ( Rammus/Xin ).

Now regarding AoS carriers one shottign stuff. Nova is a glass cannon which dies in around 2 sec and was never picked tournament iirc.In order for derpa to do so he requires to build ultra glass cannony and still die in 1 sec. Zeratul is all about positioning and spreading around. Everything like this happens in Dota and LoL pubs, fat Vayne and Void, Nasus and Magina can casually stomp entire enemy team because its 5 random people with low skill and no communication.

In tourny most popular carriers were Grunty - Lots of hp / Kerrigan - Lots of hp / Toxi - Fast/Slows attackers / Derpa - crazy escape mechanism. In cereal gaming in both LoL and Dota carriers are required to have survivalability items which drops their dps quite noticeably. In AoS tourny every carry had tanky items not to get instagibed.

In all 3 games carriers provide and are required for huge amounts of damage output, however completly reliant on perfomance of the 4 other members of the team.

Carries still can do Penta, But the way is just playing coordinately, it means never start a battle with all of your team but entering a bit later when Casters launched all their burst and Cooldowns are down.

Maybe harder but not impossible. As Main Cass, every carry AD or AP should be dead in combo/ spam skills, even many bruisers were dead too.

What a scrub. Who plays rammus and xin wtf.

In all seriousness, carry effect in LoL is not as big as in other game because LoL is more focused about teamfight and initiation. Even if you are 20-0 carry and your team cant protect/peel for you then you will still be useless.

What a scrub. Who plays rammus and xin wtf.

In all seriousness, carry effect in LoL is not as big as in other game because LoL is more focused about teamfight and initiation. Even if you are 20-0 carry and your team cant protect/peel for you then you will still be useless.

This game has also a big component of Teamfight and initiation.

Maybe it is not so important like in LoL but still important.

First to clarify is if we are speaking about Pubs or Ih, cause the way to start battle, fighting is different.

Verb: Support and move (someone or something) from one place to another: "medics were carrying a wounded man on a stretcher". Noun: An act of lifting and transporting something from one place to another: "we did a carry of equipment from the camp".

Therefore egon is the best carry.

To me a carry is the person/hero that can turn the tide in a fight. weither thats dealing alot of damage or healing or so on. but like said before someone the other team is threatened by. shadow for this example, when he runs in and ulti's the other team has to run away some what and he can vortex to help an ally escape. a good built lord z, good resistance to soak up damage and his ulti to protect his team for a bit and his ring to trap enemy. egon and his ability to sustain his team for a period of time. healing and energizing. those are just heros that are good at carrying. being able to play a hero as a carry depends on the player. just cause ur shadow doesnt mean ur going to carry ur team. u still have to do the job of that. attacking the correct heros on the enemy team first, killing off the heros that need to be killed. and ganking. that is the job of a dps carry. a tank carry needs to make sure they are in every team fight. trying to take the first hits over his support allies and keeping the dps held back. as a hero like egon its healing ur team in the order of proity same with giving energy. example, if u have a drake on ur team that is 3 kill 10 deaths and 1 assist and a lord z with 0 kills 14 deaths and 22 assist, its more then likely the lord Z is doing a better job of helping the team. proity would be LZ but still give ur drake some heals too.

sorry for the bad read i could of made it easier.

There are two forms of carries. The first are what is known as the magic/burst damage dealers like a cyprus. In LoL we call them ap champions and they normally are champions with some type of spell or a series of spells that do great damage. The second form of carry is the sustained damage dealers, which are aa/ad/agil heroes depending on your background which are like a nova or the reaper or vayne (hypercarry amritie tungvu!) Or ezreal (nerf plz). For LoL. However they don't have to be ranged to carry as there are other options like xin zhao (in LoL they assume the role of bruisers in the current metagame though this role is viable as well) though he is a melee champion. The equivalent would be the zergling in aos. The trait that most carries have is that they focus on damage output over tankiness.

I view a carry as someone that helps transition your team into various stages of the game. A good example would be old LZ. He was an early/mid game carry. His ganks and killing potential at those stages of the game allowed his team to reach mid/late game a lot easier and faster. Then heroes like shadow and zeratul once farmed can carry their team through late game by being the main dps of their team in fights.

There are two forms of carries. The first are what is known as the magic/burst damage dealers like a cyprus. In LoL we call them ap champions and they normally are champions with some type of spell or a series of spells that do great damage. The second form of carry is the sustained damage dealers, which are aa/ad/agil heroes depending on your background which are like a nova or the reaper or vayne (hypercarry amritie tungvu!) Or ezreal (nerf plz). For LoL. However they don't have to be ranged to carry as there are other options like xin zhao (in LoL they assume the role of bruisers in the current metagame though this role is viable as well) though he is a melee champion. The equivalent would be the zergling in aos. The trait that most carries have is that they focus on damage output over tankiness.

Ye true, in Lol there are bursts casters here, too. But I feel them in a different place than being carry. they can kill everything like common carries do but a bit diferent. Xin zhao being with his own style is just a melee carry, not soft at all but I d said not as bruiser. Bruiser is Garen, Heca, Gangplank ( bruiser built) etc. A bruiser usually is a though hero with a good damage but mostly not reasy for initiation. Cain could be one

i really just define carry as someone who did the most to win the game for his team.

could be kills, could be by coordinating his team, could be by supporting, initiating, or penta-killing.

in the more traditional sense, it usually means the person who is doing the most damage/able to clean up in teamfights, and thus allow his team to push towers/the base

Definitions always been simple to me: The carry is whichever hero the other team is most afraid of. Twenty minutes in, everyone knows the hero on the other team they're most disinclined to engage.

Frequently the carry is the highest dps on the other team, but not always. I've played games where Micro carried the opposing team - even though he wasn't doing much damage himself, 3/4 of the other teams kills wouldn't have happened w/o his assist. Micro dictated the way we engaged the other team, and any battle he wasn't present their team got slaughtered. (I understand that is the function of a tank/initiator - I'm saying you can carry by tanking/initiating/supporting, not just by dps).