Development Notes

EKCO

There are a few things I'll be testing in the upcoming beta. None of these things are final.

Terrain

- Terrain textures are getting a revamp. We are staying with the same color scheme, but I'll be working to distill doodads and color schemes in large, open areas with the function of improving ability effect visibility and readability. There are a few relatively minor alterations to the placement of certain bushes and juke spots, since some of the existing locations weren't very well defined. The new version will make it immediately clear what and where your line of sight will reveal. Additionally, boss locations will be cleaned up significantly and made to be more spacious and dramatic.

Barracks / Creep Wave Mechanics

- There have been a few concerns about the lack of segway in current creep mechanics into snowball formations, and that comebacks are slightly less likely than before. To address this, we will be testing reduced creep wave speeds, with the addition of a dynamic mechanic for barracks. Each lane will retain two barracks - with a slight twist. When in an enemy base, you will only be able to destroy one of the two barracks. Your choice will empower your creeps in that lane for a certain duration based on which barrack you choose to destroy (barracks will respawn afterwards). Melee barracks will empower your creep (in that lane) with additional durability, while ranged barracks will cause them to run and attack faster. This would replace the flat increase to spawn rates, by tying creep momentum more closely with team performance and choices.

Artifact Shrine Defenses

- The current towers at the Artifact Shrine are currently uninteresting and take up space. So we're going to give base defenses a bit of personality, while creating more active space in the base for combat. The towers would be replaced with defenses originating from the shrine itself. However, instead of firing projectiles, the Artifact Shrine slowly summons indestructible minions (with no collision) that last a set duration. What this creates is a soft timer on how longer you can stay in the base during an assault, since you most likely won't want to face off against a horde of indestructible archons or ultralisks (the damage ramps up over time). This method of defense is much more dynamic than the existing defenses, and will ward off players who like to stay at the shrine and harass players in their pool.

Pool Defenses

- The currently existing pool defenses are, like the shrine defenses, somewhat unreliable as players still end up charging into pools. We'll be making the pool gates functional - they'll stun, damage, and knock back any nearby enemy heroes, as well as immediately obliterate enemy creeps.

Neutral Creeps

- As we've removed Neutral Creep buffs, it seems only fair that we add something in return. We'll be replacing the neutral buff system with a randomized loot table. Each camp will have a % chance to drop one of several items (up to 5-7 unique items per camp, 20-ish new items in total). These items will last a set duration. There may be 1-2 additional inventory slots specifically for these "etheral" items, but that remains to be seen. This introduces neutral camp mechanics in a fresh new way that combines the excitement and anticipation of loot drops with the functionality of allowing us to control the pacing and impact of neutral buffs with respect to the game's length.

Do you think that Artifact Shrine Defenses will affect game lag? I mean, having a massive amount of creeps + archons/ ultralisks could be too much imo.

And, why you just make heros in pool invulnerable, and remove the Zeta Cannons? Most majority of the players agree killing in pool is bm, and in IH is not allowed, like pool plucking...

In general I like the changes, I would also suggest make impossible to attack bosses from high terrain, because Protoss team has that advantage early game on Aeon, and the Zerg team a huge advantage because of Daggoth position... I think both teams should have the same chance to kill both of the bosses, independently of the team they are.

Good job!

Do you think that Artifact Shrine Defenses will affect game lag? I mean, having a massive amount of creeps + archons/ ultralisks could be too much imo.

And, why you just make heros in pool invulnerable, and remove the Zeta Cannons? Most majority of the players agree killing in pool is bm, and in IH is not allowed, like pool plucking...

In general I like the changes, I would also suggest make impossible to attack bosses from high terrain, because Protoss team has that advantage early game on Aeon, and the Zerg team a huge advantage because of Daggoth position... I think both teams should have the same chance to kill both of the bosses, independently of the team they are.

Good job!

I have heard that mass units don't lag the game, it's the damage calculations that does. I would also imagine if he makes the spawning units from artifact strong enough, he can decrease the spawn rate and lag should not be an issue at all...

And yes, these seem like cool updates. I've said it before, late game seems to drag and just be disappointing... This should help.

The map layout will be about 95% the same. As RNG said, he'll be adjusting some of the areas to improve its visibility.

Would this include the amount of vision around and giving vision of the bosses? Because that is currently pretty sketchy, or will it be completely blocked off?

But overall I like it, the changes will be quite the welcome sight.

My one worry has to do with the apparent random nature of neutral creep drops. I worry that one may "luck out" with a particular drop and get a random advantage, which could in turn snowball. Random events that can affect game outcomes are not a good thing.

I would imagine that if you make it something smaller like +10 wd, +1 health regen, +.5 energy regen, etc. It would be unlikely to impact the game significantly.

I would imagine that if you make it something smaller like +10 wd, +1 health regen, +.5 energy regen, etc. It would be unlikely to impact the game significantly.

yes of course...but even something "small" can lend a not insignificant advantage. Moreover, if the item grants something so insignificant that there is little impact on the game...what is the point of it in the first place?

yes of course...but even something "small" can lend a not insignificant advantage. Moreover, if the item grants something so insignificant that there is little impact on the game...what is the point of it in the first place?

I have a hard time believing that they would provide any more of an advantage than the buffs did.

I have a hard time believing that they would provide any more of an advantage than the buffs did.

I think you are missing the point....perhaps I wasnt very clear. I am simply concerned about in increase in randomness...because randomness is inherently unfair. When neutrals gave buffs, the reward was not random and in no way unfair. Implementing random rewards introduces the possibility for the outcome of a game to be affected by something you cannot control.

Anyway, Its likely it wont be an issue...I'm just voicing my concern over the possibility.

I love the barracks idea...that sounds like it will make the game very interesting when making choices based on lane needs. I totally agree with the creep change aswell. I'm guessing the spawning monsters for shrine defence wont be able to leave a certain area? Will the shrine still be vulnerable with the monsters spawned or would you have to kill them first?

Overall I know I will love these changes! Well done Ecko! This is also why I play AoS!

(not to kick a dead horse) what about tps?

Terrain : can't really discuss without specifics

Barracks : copy of lol, seems like a bad idea give that the biggest change in the last patch was meant to have shorter games, and barracks that can respawn are obviously a big step back in that regard, I mean make up your mind, do you want games to end or not

Artifact : once again, favors turtling when last patch was supposed to make turtling harded, what's the point of making mega controversial changes to the game that drive players away if you change your mind 2 weeks later ...

Pool defenses : whatever, when ennemies get pool kills game is already over so they might as well surrender (or the game will end in the next minute) so sounds like a waste of time

Neutrals : big yes on this change, same as peas I dislike the randomness but the idea sounds really interesting

It be cool if there was a Guardian on each side of the team with like 10K Hp, and Atk: 150 Atk (True Damage) and 70% Damage resistance. (Also can not be leeched from) and then he has 4 abilities, 1 to counter tanky heros, 1 to counter AA heros, and 1 to counter casters, and 1 for self defence. And he could be repurchased if killed for 10K Minerals. He stays just behind the artifact temple, and then targets enemies who past tier 3 towers. Some games have this (A few of the games in SCI did this and it was pretty cool, since you were on home base, it was like u had half or an extra hero defending. (If there is a guardian, he can't be able to heal tho). I always thought games like that were pretty cool xD. (Like the epic fights when your fighting for daggoth xD, or early game -Aeon-).

pretty sick changes, hope they turn out great

It be cool if there was a Guardian on each side of the team with like 10K Hp, and Atk: 150 Atk (True Damage) and 70% Damage resistance. (Also can not be leeched from) and then he has 4 abilities, 1 to counter tanky heros, 1 to counter AA heros, and 1 to counter casters, and 1 for self defence. And he could be repurchased if killed for 10K Minerals. He stays just behind the artifact temple, and then targets enemies who past tier 3 towers. Some games have this (A few of the games in SCI did this and it was pretty cool, since you were on home base, it was like u had half or an extra hero defending. (If there is a guardian, he can't be able to heal tho). I always thought games like that were pretty cool xD. (Like the epic fights when your fighting for daggoth xD, or early game -Aeon-).

A Guardian to make games even longer? Zzzz

plz tell me that besides this kind of changes there will be something in favor of certain casters(since game is dominated by aa dps and tank heroes...seems certain casters wont cut it as casters late game

also...PLEASE make viron appearance already!!! he is amongst my favorites since he appeared and he has been delayed for sooo long!!!

plz tell me that besides this kind of changes there will be something in favor of certain casters(since game is dominated by aa dps and tank heroes...seems certain casters wont cut it as casters late game

also...PLEASE make viron appearance already!!! he is amongst my favorites since he appeared and he has been delayed for sooo long!!!

Casters are supposed to fall off late game.

@OP

This beta should be really fun and new.

Omg, can you imagine egon healing him? He will be unkillble

Sounds like the Guardian in SMITE. Except you kill the guardian to win instead of him being a defense.

Casters are supposed to fall off late game.

@OP

This beta should be really fun and new.

i don`t think casters are supposted to FALL like in a free fall smashing to the ground....most casters become flat completely useless!!! I mean, give it to the carries, but let the casters be able to still dish out some pain without having to gear agi items, cause I do more damage as queen using shadowmourne, pyre and 4 defensive items than doing baneling + ultra with all intel gear + sunflare boom