Has this patch changed how we have fun with AoS

Marche

Perhaps I'm just not as much a part of the community over the past few weeks but there seems to me that there are been a huge shift in the way this game is being played. More often then not I get on mumble and I see people either:

1. Playing another MOBA, IE: DOTA2 or League of Legends.

2. Playing an ARAM of AoS.

3. Trying to organize an AoS game.

There are not as many people on mumble for as extended periods of time, this could be due to school or due to lack of enjoyment in the current meta(Both game and community meta, if you can call it that)

I think it's foolish to overlook the overwhelming increase in ARAM's that are played everyday on mumble now. The question is why.

I would argue that the way the game is at the moment, with its current creep wave mechanics primarily, makes the game significantly less fun then its previous iterations.

Creep wave mechanics right now make this game feel more like a tower defense and less like a MOBA, which may sound silly to some, but I'm trying to make a point of the focus of the game. The shift from hero to tower has been very drastic and I see too much of the game spent trying to set up for only a few key teamfights. This might accomplish the goal of making the games go faster, but I feel like the time spent setting up for this (IE: laning and farming) has had a very reduced value (for time spent.)

Maybe its just the balance of this patch; items are very strong, heroes are buffed instead of nerfed (more often than not it seems), game times are being shortened. Is it any of these things? None of them? Is it just an exodus of people? Are we really all just being to mean all of the time?

On a note of politeness I will say this short bit. Since I began playing mechwarrior the community they have in place is significantly more polite and I have only experienced a couple of isolated incidents of rage. It has made it much more pleasant to get onto the teamspeak and party up with 7 strangers. How can we try to emulate this effect?

What do you guys think? do you feel AoS is offering as much to you in entertainment value as it was a month ago? Can you think of why you are or are not having more or less fun? I'm honestly interested and think that (without trolling) there could be some important information to take from this. Hopefully such information could be used in benefit to the development of the game.

I fine its fine as game time depends on people you face the time hasn't changed for me its been the same avg game time 40 min to 1.10hrs+ depends on drops leaves an so on.

As interms of op heros not really theres ways to shut down any an all heros with the rite team of heros but with out knowen what the enemy going to pick u can guess they go boro an so on if you pick the wrong hero an there team has 3 heros that counter 4 of your teams heros then it comes down to items to pick to make up for those weakness which i fine alot of people dont do they stick to the cookey cut builds an then cry op vs heros that shut them down cause they dont build to help counter there skills.

As for the creep waves it seems fine to me as is it does help abit for the fact you let them take down your main def towers you got to watch for those op creeps that like to come an go nock nock we here to kill ya's lol also cause of this when it comes down to each team having there base open who can push an def better an counter will win.

I guess you can say that the game is sort of dead right now. It's like farmville for SC2 since you're in the lane for the majority of the game, which makes sustain important (with leach/attack speed mechanics from the talents, AA heroes probably have the biggest advantage even with the recent nerfs). In most of the games i've played so far, the team that sustains the lane longer usually wins no matter what. An example would be yesterday where I played against a biotron (he was a decent ih player without giving names out of respect) and destroyed his tower. Normally a good biotron could be able to backdoor and do a lot of crazy things in the old days, but after we took mid, my team took the two other tier 1 towers. The creeps waves then begin to snowball at each tower, ending any chance of them coming back as we took all of the secondary towers eventually. In another game where the "score" according to kills, my team was able to push the first two towers and it snowballed to their third tower though we could not break through. Eventually we were aced (M-M-M-MONSTER KILL STYLE!) by the opposing team and two of their members lived (both AA characters, zeratul and nova). They were only able to push one tier 2 tower during the time we were dead and slightly damage a tier 3 tower. Though the kills were even, the game still ended in about 25 minutes when we came back to life. In other games like LoL (I haven't followed dota 2, but they probably are the same in this regard), it is possible to lose all of your towers up to the main tower and still have a chance to stage a comeback with the right team comp. In AoS, it's gotten to the point where if you win the laning phase, you will probably win the game because it snowballs that hard.

Bad meshwarrior player is suddenly mad about soem shiss up in dis nig, ya feel me homie, all dis here jig got shiss on the RT

Seriously though, I'm not sure your singular post will make any differense, marshe, and seems more like a desperate attempt to do something to better the game/kommunity to keep yourself from switshing entirely to meshwarrior.

I think this topik needs more topiks, what do you say?

Anyway it seems as though marshe is just a bad kamper, not realising the intrikate nuanses of the new game, and how it(although it seems like the opposite) upon kloser inspektion raises the skillkap of eweryone inwolwed.

Translation: I pretend to be a famous american "G" dead rapper, but I'm actually just some foreign white dude who suffers from a severe case of dyslexia and drunkedness. On the real though... does the best Norweigian player have any real solutions to this problem?

PS: Tupac >> Biggie ( I live on the East Coast for those that think it's West Coast bias)

Random teams, random heroes with no time wasted on bans and other crap (since everything would be random), and you get games started instantly and you get more fun due to the variety added to the game. Maybe I myself am more comfortable with the luck factor as that is essentially how pub games work with random teammates (that is assuming you don't roll with some premade group of pubstomping scrubs like yourself), but I can see how people with huge egos who can only play a few heroes well in the "IH Community" would have a problem with that system, even though it is ridiculously simple and straightforward and fair over a series of games even though on any individual game it is possible one team might get the best players and another team might get the best hero combinations.

This captain crap is nonsensical and only for powernerds to inflate their own egos. Get rid of the captain crap and go the random way and I guarantee you will see a lot more people looking to give organized games a better shot. Either that or enjoy your circle jerk of 10-12 people for all EterNity.

The bans and picks are maybe 75% of what makes you win a game when all the players have a somewhat equal skill level (then again lovol wouldn't know that since he likes to play against 1st timers, and doesn't like unbalanced match-ups such as the one where he plays against "premades", read competent players), so removing that from inhouse would make the winning team decided by who gets the top tier heroes and it would be extremely boring.

The "captain crap" lovol is talking about is just people chosing their teams one by one so the teams are close to balanced, being a captain as nothing to do with the game itself, the level of the captain or whatever lovol suggets, it's just 2 players of same skill that pick their teamates in turn so teams are balanced.

The reasons we ARAM as much as we do are several fold. First, large patches always alienate a certain number of members (although they get recycled and replaced in less time than you think). Secondly, it's a busy time of year for school-folk. Point 1 and 2 both mean reduced numbers on mumble, and ARAMs only require 6 or 8 players to run. Thirdly, there is a significant lack of individuals who force the issue one way or the other. I would say the majority of people would prefer to IH, but no one really steps up to the plate. Id consider myself one of these more vocal members, although I personally prefer ARAMs unless the quality of the IH will be high. Whale would be another although he hasnt been on much. Neither has Tukey. Lastly, ARAMs are still somewhat novel.

As the mumble population climbs back up a bit, you will see a shift back towards standard IH games.

edit: I implore everyone who hasnt already put IOvOI on ignore to disregard his post. He likes to sling mud because he's still mad someone on mumble yelled at him once in like 4.0.

The main reason I've been pubbing is because when I log into mumble, for example right now, there appears to be no interest in playing in house matches. Right now I see a 4 man in one channel playing League, some people playing on SEA, five or so people playing in EU, people playing Dota, people playing Nexus Wars (hydra im lookin at you), and afkers. Since the release of the new patch I've noticed more good or even epic games occur in public matches (often the gafs and lack of coordination from newer players create an added difficulty and balance it out), so of course if there's little to no interest in the mumble community to actually play games of AOS, or at least nowhere near as much as their used to be.

Wolverine, |OvO|, Zeromus, CastleBravo, Doom, Kinkyflip, Geneon, Reaper, Lzr, contact, Triumph, maem, Nal, Nitwad, Wriggled, Ben, Kerrikari, Havoc, Jonl, Spoon, Bleezy, Yort.

If these players were in mumble, the community would be better for it. Until we get some more flobing people though it seems like I'll be stuck pubbing or watching my brother play.

The main reason I've been pubbing is because when I log into mumble, for example right now, there appears to be no interest in playing in house matches. Right now I see a 4 man in one channel playing League, some people playing on SEA, five or so people playing in EU, people playing Dota, people playing Nexus Wars (hydra im lookin at you), and afkers. Since the release of the new patch I've noticed more good or even epic games occur in public matches (often the gafs and lack of coordination from newer players create an added difficulty and balance it out), so of course if there's little to no interest in the mumble community to actually play games of AOS, or at least nowhere near as much as their used to be.

Wolverine, |OvO|, Zeromus, CastleBravo, Doom, Kinkyflip, Geneon, Reaper, Lzr, contact, Triumph, maem, Nal, Nitwad, Wriggled, Ben, Kerrikari, Havoc, Jonl, Spoon, Bleezy, Yort.

If these players were in mumble, the community would be better for it. Until we get some more flobing people though it seems like I'll be stuck pubbing or watching my brother play.

I approwe of this message.

I think that the decline in players on mumble is more related to seasonality than anything else. I haven't been on as much simply because I've had less time for gaming lately.

Random teams, random heroes with no time wasted on bans and other crap (since everything would be random), and you get games started instantly and you get more fun due to the variety added to the game. Maybe I myself am more comfortable with the luck factor as that is essentially how pub games work with random teammates (that is assuming you don't roll with some premade group of pubstomping scrubs like yourself), but I can see how people with huge egos who can only play a few heroes well in the "IH Community" would have a problem with that system, even though it is ridiculously simple and straightforward and fair over a series of games even though on any individual game it is possible one team might get the best players and another team might get the best hero combinations.

This captain crap is nonsensical and only for powernerds to inflate their own egos. Get rid of the captain crap and go the random way and I guarantee you will see a lot more people looking to give organized games a better shot. Either that or enjoy your circle jerk of 10-12 people for all EterNity.

Yes, we don't like randomness in IH, so we are playing more ARAMs...

The reasons we ARAM as much as we do are several fold. First, large patches always alienate a certain number of members (although they get recycled and replaced in less time than you think). Secondly, it's a busy time of year for school-folk. Point 1 and 2 both mean reduced numbers on mumble, and ARAMs only require 6 or 8 players to run. Thirdly, there is a significant lack of individuals who force the issue one way or the other. I would say the majority of people would prefer to IH, but no one really steps up to the plate. Id consider myself one of these more vocal members, although I personally prefer ARAMs unless the quality of the IH will be high. Whale would be another although he hasnt been on much. Neither has Tukey. Lastly, ARAMs are still somewhat novel.

As the mumble population climbs back up a bit, you will see a shift back towards standard IH games.

I agree with Peas. Personally, my enjoyment of standard IH games has not decreased at all. The reason I have been playing a mix of both ARAMs and IH games is because ARAMs are an enjoyable variation on the game and they promote player development. Players who only play a handful of heroes are likely to end up with an unfamiliar hero in ARAM. Because it's an ARAM, we tend to be more understanding of subpar play, meaning ARAMs are a great opportunity to learn in a lower pressure environment. ARAMs also encourage creativity, as you are forced to find a way to effectively use your set of heroes together. Personally, I have enjoyed the challenge of refamiliarizing myself with heroes that I haven't played in ages.

Every time I have seen you online I have tried to get you to IH (and each time we have had enough people to play an IH). Maybe you are doing the majority of your playing before I get on?

---

I hope Adamantium is proud of me for not double posting.

I never said or suggested anything of the sort.

That statement in particular was a response to the original post, not to your post. I intended it as a general preface to my comments, since I was adding to what you had said about the reasons why we have been playing ARAMs. Sorry for the confusion. I edited that part of my post in an attempt to make myself a bit more clear. I think I'm going to blame my lack of clarity there on the numbness that clouds my thinking every time I read posts by certain individuals in the forum (not you).

I've seen you on mumble only very rarely as of late, I've been on while highdrater, master law, adversary, analog, and others have been on, nearly every day for the past week, i think i've seen whale once during that time but he wasn't playing, and he played with/against my brother once or twice. Also, you have to understand, I'm not all that interested in playing in house with a pool of maybe 12 people total, whereas before there were 30 or 40. Repeatedly playing with the same exact people in an in house is less appealing to me than sifting through shapty games to find the gold in pubs. Instead, if there's such a small pool, I'll just have my brother play and learn. I can't imagine declining playing when you were on unless I was very tired and about to log off or something.

I've seen you on mumble only very rarely as of late, I've been on while highdrater, master law, adversary, and etc have been on, nearly every day for the past week. Also, you have to understand, I'm not all that interested in playing in house with a pool of maybe 12 people total, whereas before there were 30 or 40. Repeatedly playing with the same exact people in an in house is less appealing to me than sifting through shapty games to find the gold in pubs.

I've been for at least a few hours per day over the last three days. Also, I would say that our pool of players is actually closer to 20 or so. We rarely play again with the same 10 people every game. Instead, we usually have at least two or three leave and we replace them with other players who are getting on. Also, when we use the Elo system to make teams, they vary significantly from game to game, leading to a lot more variation. I would say that the current pool of players reminds me a lot of the old SlimJim pool in terms of quantity and variety.