[Items] Shock Buffer

Wrath

Hey guys, here's an item idea that I had while considering something similar for a hero suggestion. I'll include my analysis of it after the item itself.

Shock Buffer

Cost: 3,750 Minerals

+50 Intelligence

+30 Strength

+15% Spell Resistance

[unique] The next time you take Spell Damage that is greater than 250, it is reduced to 250. 15 Second Cooldown.

Components:

42 INT + 18 STR + 8% SR

:HiggBosonCapacitor::CyberneticImplants::MirrorPlating:

1850 + 825 + 425

= 3,100 Minerals (Components)

+ 650 Minerals (Recipe)

= 3,750 Minerals (Total)

Analysis

First let's look at the base stats. At 50 Intelligence and 30 Strength, this will be the only item in the game (currently) to have both Intelligence and Strength but no Agility. With most of its value in Intelligence, it is meant almost solely for Intelligence based heroes, including Rancor and Vergil. Beyond that point, it is meant to increase your survivability. With Strength amounting to an additional 300 health and 15% Spell Resistance, it does that job mildly. Its true usefulness lies in its [unique] passive.

Shock Buffer's [unique] passive reduces any incoming damage higher than 250 to 250, with a cooldown of 15 seconds. This makes Shock Buffer extremely useful against burst spell damage from heroes like Rancor, Raynor, and Cyprus. On Intelligence heroes that have to get close to do their damage, like Rory, Jackson, Vergil, and Erekul, this item will frequently help you live long enough to get your own spells out. No longer will you be picked off right before a big engagement.

Shock Buffer is balanced in that its 15 second cooldown is just long enough that it will be useful at the initiation of a team fight, but not throughout the entire engagement. It's also just short enough that it will frequently save you as you flee a losing battle.

In conclusion, I think this would be a really interesting item and make playing certain heroes a lot more fun/varied. I'm happy to hear any suggestions, and talk about balancing the price, stats, and damage floor of the [unique] passive.

I like this idea a lot actually, a damage dampener could be hugely valuable.

however, I feel that to keep it from being OP you would need to split it into two items:

One grants the spell resist and dampens physical damage (resist spells, nullify physical)

The other grants Armor and dampens spell damage (resist physical, dampen spell)

This does several things, most notable to me:

1-prevents a single item from being "too" good.

2-allows you to customize based off the current threat (hell, the item could toggle, like morph boots used to)

3-Keeps the "wrong" damage from procing it. You don't want your uber spell dampener to fall off because you got hit by a minor AA attack, which given most int heroes can easily have 250+ weapond damage they would just run in, AA once, then Zap. Spell one would only proc against spell damage and physical one would only proc against physical damage.

Great idea. Hope something like this gets implemented.

I like this idea a lot actually, a damage dampener could be hugely valuable.

however, I feel that to keep it from being OP you would need to split it into two items:

One grants the spell resist and dampens physical damage (resist spells, nullify physical)

The other grants Armor and dampens spell damage (resist physical, dampen spell)

This does several things, most notable to me:

1-prevents a single item from being "too" good.

2-allows you to customize based off the current threat (hell, the item could toggle, like morph boots used to)

3-Keeps the "wrong" damage from procing it. You don't want your uber spell dampener to fall off because you got hit by a minor AA attack, which given most int heroes can easily have 250+ weapond damage they would just run in, AA once, then Zap. Spell one would only proc against spell damage and physical one would only proc against physical damage.

Great idea. Hope something like this gets implemented.

You sir, are a mad scientist. I like your points.

One thing I'd like to point out is that a physical damage dampener would be almost useless, if it had any cooldown, as weapon speed makes physical damage much faster and more sustained than spell damage. Also, physical damage is often accompanied by true damage from crits and spell damage from items like lightning rod and pyre -- making a physical damage dampener even more useless.

You're right though, that having it get triggered by auto-attacks is a real downside. For now, I'm going to make it respond only to spell damage, and I'm going to consider alternative stats to spell resistance.

I don't think physical damage would be wasted. Some ultimates, such as bloodbath from balrog, deal physical damage that you could reist. Other heroes, such as nova, deal huge dps in large burts. Ignoring a even a portion of that incoming damage coudl be VERY important, because it would extend your ability to run/fight while reducing the return from leech. Axe plus the physical dampener with or without barbed would make a leech build utterly useless agaisnt you (while still working against your team!)

However, if you made it spell resist only, it still surves a grand old purpose in reducing the threat of burst casters, which is not a bad thing at all.

Leaving the spell resist on it wouldn't be a bad thing, sicne it would act as a dampener every 15 seconds and as a resist the rest of the time.

If that feels like too much, consider adding move speed instead. Without teleports, move speed is even more crucial, and it would make sense on an item desinged to survive burst casters:

you can take the hit and get teh hell out of dodge OR have a better shot of catching the squishy while its reloading.

so swap the 15% resist for say 9% move speed? This would allow you to also get a spell buffer if you are fighting a lot of casters, and have the 20+15 spell resist from the buffer plus the 250 cap and then an additional 6% move speed giving you 6+9 (circa) 15% move speed, 35% resist (circa) and the regens from the buffer.

These two items together then would make you extremely resiliant against casters, while leaving you most of your items for "your build".

For the item I feel that this level of negation is too harsh for the 1-shot casters [as they only have one way of dealing spell damage and that is in one mega attack then a finisher], like Cyprus.

While at the same time, it feels weak against people like Shadow, who have a high damage swipe [jusst high enough to trigger this] but don't rely on that for damage [instead sustained damage].

So what I suggest is this:

[unique] After suffering Spell Damage of at least 300, you gain +50% Damage Resistance for 4 seconds. 15 second reset time.

[Active] +50% Spell and Physical Damage Resistance for 4 seconds. 60 second cooldown.

Other than that, where's that cool INT-AA Carry you've been saying needs to be made?

For the item I feel that this level of negation is too harsh for the 1-shot casters [as they only have one way of dealing spell damage and that is in one mega attack then a finisher], like Cyprus.

While at the same time, it feels weak against people like Shadow, who have a high damage swipe [jusst high enough to trigger this] but don't rely on that for damage [instead sustained damage].

So what I suggest is this:

[unique] After suffering Spell Damage of at least 300, you gain +50% Damage Resistance for 4 seconds. 15 second reset time.

[Active] +50% Spell and Physical Damage Resistance for 4 seconds. 60 second cooldown.

Other than that, where's that cool INT-AA Carry you've been saying needs to be made?

I'm not gearing this item towards sustained damage like Shadow, I'm gearing it towards heroes like Cyprus, Rancor, and Raynor. +50% damage resistance after the fact is not useful if the damage triggering it is the damage that kills you,

I do have another item in mind that counters sustained damage, and I will post that later -- but this [unique] needs to reduce the damage that triggers it. Also, your [Active] idea is pretty OP -- everybody would get this item to use it right at the start of a team fight.

The item wouldn't counter Vergil. Since it only reduces 1 spell damage attack every 20 seconds, note that vergils final will deal about 260 [+40% int] (Somewhere around there) three times. All three ticks are not at the same time but about 0.2 seconds inbetween each other (it probably wouldn't even reduce if you had gravity edge since you only deal 65% Spell damage and then +54% of that 65% as true damage [That makes about 35% True damage, If it didn't work that way, Getting gravity edge would actually Lowered ur spell damage if you got argus, or yamato) It might be one of the reasons Nitrogen's passive got changed to slowing regardless of the spell damage.

If it worked on all three hits, then it would actually reduce all spell damage above 250 to 250 damage for about 1 second or longer, Thus making it only effective on a specific burst. (Like getting hit by cyprus's final.) Even cyprus's final would still be effective since the blast would deal 250 spell damage (and 35% of [800+[100% int]] as true damage), but after that since unique would be removed, and the pillars would smash the target, dealing about 600 - 800 spell damage. Not to mention, Seismic wave right after. If the unique tho were to last for a duration tho, it would be rather over powered towards AA heros, allowing a glass cannon to get 1 Item to massive counter casters. (AA glass cannons will actually heal about 250 hp per shot, and their attack speed would be around 1 hit per 0.45 seconds and one casting ability can make a huge difference in killing an AA hero, or him instantly healing all his hp and killing you instantly. Sry if I'm thinking to literal, but it would be how the game engine work

(i.e. If darpa has Blackhole magnum, and uses an ability, and has passive on double hit on, the blackhole magnum won't work for both attacks, even tho the attacks are only 0.01 seconds difference, if not less [Not the really a good example (If its even relevant, I can't tell if it is), but the only one i could come up with at the moment]).